wrecked the Fairchild today

Tom, you know you're going to fix it.

Don't count on it, I'm debating on whether to renew my Medical due next month.

with the increased cost of fuel, hangar rent, and the lack of reason to fly, it is getting harder and harder to rationalize on our reduced retirement income.

Don't count on it, I'm debating on whether to renew my Medical due next month.
There's no debate, I'm definitely letting mine lapse after the denial and deferral scare this year. Not worth the risk.

Next up for me is the Glider add-on, I'm pretty sure. Just dealing with some other fun and non-fun stuff right now.

Highly recommended. Truly fun flying, but can be expensive if not in a good soaring location!

Luckily, you live in minnesota

Precisely WHY it's expensive here!! We have our days, but no good ridge soaring anywhere near here. I have way too many sub-20 min. flights! Those get really expensive. My longest was over 3 hours, the cheapest hours I've logged, if I don't count all the shorties it took to get to that point!

but when a spring cold front passes the soaring is choice!

Highly recommended. Truly fun flying, but can be expensive if not in a good soaring location!

I'd have to brave being a fiscal conservative traveling in heavy disguise to the People's Republic of Boulder, or head south to KFLY, but there's no shortage of good soaring clubs here.

I'll probably have sticker shock over what a tow used to cost vs. today, but I'll get over it. :)

KFLY is appealing because I could fly the 182 down and have a reasonable place to park it and walk to the glider ops area.

Boulder, I'm not sure the commercial club can authorize any non-tow aircraft over to park in their grass on the north side of the airport, and it'd be a looooong walk around the airport to park the 182 on the ramp and then get over to the glider side.

I'm sure someone would offer a car ride, but you'd be imposing. And why drive to an airport when you can fly there?! ;)

another great reason to just put a towhook on the 182 :)

the soaring at Boulder is top-notch.

Tom - I'm late to this discussion, just recently joined POA as I've been staying away from internet forums for the past couple of years. I remember when you first got the Fairchild, brought it home and did the restoration. I've always wanted something with a round engine and roll down windows.

You've had plenty of consoling posts here, there's not much I can add. Have you ever read Jimmy Doolittle's book "I could never be so lucky again"? He should have called it "I can't believe I cracked up that many airplanes and lived to tell about it". At one time, Lockheed had given him a brand new Vega. He loaded his whole family in it, clipped a little snowdrift on take-off and completely destroyed the thing. Lockheed then gave him another one (we should be so lucky) and he crashed that one too.

Anyway, hope everything works out. I know how you feel about putting so much into rebuilding something that, in these days, doesn't make a lot of sense due to the cost of fuel to run it. If you decide not to just make sure it winds up in the hands of someone who will bring it back. Don't let it waste away or go to the scrap heap. That would be a real shame.

I've come to learn that we never "own" these old birds. We are just temporary caretakers.

Good luck Tom

The aircraft went salvage today.

I simply can't rationalize the time and commitment to repair it, the lowest bid to repair was $49K

I was 60 when I started this project, I'm 72 next month. that's a long time on one project watching the market eat us up.

It's simply time to move on. lick our $$$ wounds, and see what we can do in the future.

I simply can't rationalize the time and commitment to repair it, the lowest bid to repair was $49K

I was 60 when I started this project, I'm 72 next month. that's a long time on one project watching the market eat us up.

It's simply time to move on. lick our $$$ wounds, and see what we can do in the future.

Bummer! That was a beautiful airplane.

Ah shoot. I'm sorry (again.) Was lucky enough to see it in person, not lucky enough to fly in it with you.

Should keep the medical and currency. Then you can continue to fly others' planes on the cheap :D

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Sad to see such a fine plane get dismantled and sold for scrap...:(

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Sad to see such a fine plane get dismantled and sold for scrap...:(

most likely, That is not what will happen. It will go up for sale as a project,but may sell for the engine and then be parted out.

Sorry it ended up that way, Tom. We all watched you restore that and followed along as you posted the progress.
You might consider just flying as a Sport Pilot and not worry about the medical. There's some kits out there you could build in pretty short order
with your experience.

RT

Your name is written all over it. Or maybe that's your age. Which is less than mine. Go for it.

Polishing it should keep me off the streets for a while

I guess once you get past the part that no insurance company is gonna write a policy for you in it, polishing it seems almost as fun as flying it.:eek:

Last edited:
Nice! When's the beer and polish party? I still haven't seen the new hangar. hahaha
We will see what the next couple weeks brings.

The new hangar is at BVS gate 41 unit 301 :) off Crosswinds Rd.

Polishing it should keep me off the streets for a while

Get something yo can fold the wings and tow behind, preferably on amphib. Look at the Avid Catalina, I think the wings fold on it, seaplane style.

Did you find a business card stuck in the door a while back?

We will see what the next couple weeks brings.

The new hangar is at BVS gate 41 unit 301 :) off Crosswinds Rd.

Did you find a business card stuck in the door a while back?

Not that I recall. Who's was it? your's ?

We seldom use the little door during the good weather.

I hit the remote and the big door opens while we get thru the gate.

Get something yo can fold the wings and tow behind, preferably on amphib. Look at the Avid Catalina, I think the wings fold on it, seaplane style.

And Then?

how do we tow the jeep? / Boat.

Yeah, the gal at the office got approval and gave me the gate code. She wasn't sure which hangar was yours, but the guy who's working on some projects in the second row east by the parking lot steered me to your digs. He said you had to move the motor home to get the plane out.

Not that I recall. Who's was it? your's ?

We seldom use the little door during the good weather.

I hit the remote and the big door opens while we get thru the gate.

I'm guessing you just need a boat big enough to hold the jeep. And then you drive the plane to the grocery store when you get to the campground.

And Then?

how do we tow the jeep? / Boat.

Back