Wondering what's a good concealed carry rig ...

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
All my 'tools' are old school and heavy. I haven't bought a firearm in decades and was just wondering what's out there with good stopping power and lightweight.

Thinking along the lines of reliable, powerful, and light. Easily concealable because I don't think I'll open carry even when we can.

Thanks in advance. :)

The tupperware guns are actually pretty good for accuracy and light weight. A friend has a plastic Springfield in 45 that I can shoot much better than any of my 45s...

As for stopping power...it depends...9mm bounces off windshields...I'm a firm believer in 230 grains headed downrange but I've got a large enough frame that carrying it isn't a problem.

Last edited:
All my 'tools' are old school and heavy. I haven't bought a firearm in decades and was just wondering what's out there with good stopping power and lightweight.

Thinking along the lines of reliable, powerful, and light. Easily concealable because I don't think I'll open carry even when we can.

Springfield Armory XDS.45
About the size of a hand, 5+1

Aluminum 9mm colt defender commander length. It feels great in the hand performs like a colt and is light and comfy.

I pack a full size 1911 with a IWB paddle holster at my 3-4 o'clock, and so far it's been great. Easily concealable, easy to drive with, bend over ect ect.

My EDC is a S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holster. Lots of things to consider, for me, I chose the 9mm because it is an effective personal protection round, there is a wide range of PP ammunition, FMJ ammunition is inexpensive if you plan on sending a lot of rounds through it and......when the zombie apocalypse happens, over half of the weapons out there will be 9mm, so you will have lots of options for finding ammunition on undead zombies.

I usually carry a LC9 in my pants pocket.

I can't stand that trigger it has an almost comical long pull.

I have a Kel-Tec PF9 that is about the same size little smaller that has a belt clip on it. It's perfect for tossing in a pocket or hanging on a waste band. My only issue with it is the only safety is don't pull the trigger.
I wish I could put the safety from the ruger on the Kel-Tec it would be the perfect 9mm pocket gun.

Last edited:
With the lc9 you pull the trigger on Monday and it fires on Friday!

Lc9s fixed a lot of issues people had. LC9 had a traditional DA trigger, still really long though.. LC9s is of course stricker fired, still not awesome but totally doable..

this....

Attachments

• DSCN0427.jpg
    DSCN0427.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 119
A S&W Bodyguard 380 in my front pocket when it's warm.

An EAA Tanfoglio Witness 9MM in a jacket pocket when it's cold.

Or both.

Not huge firepower but I think they'll do what they need to if ever called upon.

S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holster.

+1

I have this exact set up. I do find the shield to be a bit heavy though. I actually prefer my lcp 380 in my crossbreed mini tuck iwb holster.

The lcp is my summer time carry. The 9mm is my winter carry. And if feeling froggy I'll take my 1911 in my crossbreed super tuck. But honestly that is to cumbersome for my liking.

Not huge firepower but I think they'll do what they need to if ever called upon.

Agreed! Crooks want an easy target. If you pull out any gun I almost am willing to bet most, not all, will back off at the sight of any gun. But if you have to pull the gun you better be ready to use it. In training we are obviously thought to diffuse the situation at the lowest level. Though some situations might happen to fast and way to close. And when carrying you have to consider the legal ramifications of actually defending yourself. You will get sued...but that's another thread.

As for stopping power...it depends...9mm bounces off windshields...I'm a firm believer in 230 grains headed downrange but I've got a large enough frame that carrying it isn't a problem.

Quite right. I've been looking at possibly getting a 9mm, but the more I play with my 1911, the more I think I might just get another one of those.

Kahr PM40 for me.

I've got a CW40. I don't shoot it much, and when I do in the future I need to take my wedding ring off first. Two handed hold with the ring results in the back of my middle finger on my right hand getting chewed up by the ring.

.40 S&W isn't quite a .45 ACP, but I will say that the CW40 is, for me, far more concealable than a full size 1911.

Springfield Armory XDS.45
About the size of a hand, 5+1

Punishing little bastard to shoot at the range, but gets the job done. Might recommend the new longer barrel version over the original.

Make sure if it's used that it has the extra pin in the rear from going back to Springfield for the recall. They were fixing a possible slam-fire problem that could ruin your day when loading it, so ask or look at it for the additional pin.

Trigger safety wasn't always resetting, and if the grip safety was also depressed, as in, when racking a round into the chamber, the striker wasn't held back -- and could, in theory anyway, go forward with enough force to light off the primer and have an unintentional loud noise.

Depending on your feelings about liability of modifications on a defensive pistol, the Powder River Precision trigger kit makes it a better shooter, IMHO. But I haven't modified mine.

If you get one don't be ginger with it. It likes it rough. Grip it and rip it to rack it and get as high and as solid a grip as you can on it. It'll run great. Don't be shy. Most problems I see reported are folks being light handed with it instead of whaling on it.

If you're at all recoil sensitive, go with the 9mm version.

Keep in mind that muzzle velocity is down at least 150'/sec with the 3.3" barrel from the manufactured spec for any ammo. Speer and a couple of others make special "short barrel" versions of their ammo.

Colt Mustang Pocketlight for inside the belt when nothing else is practical. Glock 43 single stack 9mm is a thin compact but still fits a big hand and shoots accurately. The Glock 27 gen 4 is the same profile but thicker being a double stack .40 s&w. Also a nice CC gun. Both fit into a Galco ankle holster and are undetectable under my everyday jeans. Given the choice in a life-threatening situation I'd rather have a full size Glock 22 or Sig P226 but those are more difficult to carry. Finding a CC holster that you're comfortable with is as important as the gun. Go try a few on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Let's just say if I were to carry, that would be my choice, in a pocket holster in a hip pocket.

For inside-the-waistband holsters, check out Alien Gear Holsters*.

If wearing a jacket, shoulder holsters do allow carrying a larger weapon without "printing".

Similar to cameras, the best gun is the one you have with you. Small and convenient usually beats out massive firepower when making the carry decision.

*I see mikeinbama beat me to it.

Last edited:
A pocket pistol in a Galco inside-the-belt holster allows me to carry my 380 when wearing slacks and a tuck-in shirt and nobody will detect the gun. Galco makes a few similar holsters that offer different ways to get your hand on the gun. Grab the grip, push the barrel up... Choices.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 46

Something plastic in .40 or .45, though I'd likely go 9mm due to ammo supply.

Springfield XD-S 9 or 45.
Carried in Desantis ankle holster. No one ever knows. :)

my 92FS is NOT an ideal carry but is fun to shoot. went to the range yesterday and had some fun.

They're all fun, any of the good brands will serve you well. I find my hand gun accuracy and usability to be more dependent to how it fits in my hand than anything else. In the modern tuff, I'm partial to how the HKs feel, but in the end, I still haven't found anything that is better than a 1911 for all around control and usability.

Just go to a gun show and start picking them up, that's what I do looking for something new.

I have a couple of Sigs chambered in 40SW that I usually carry depending on what I'm wearing. Occasionally I'll carry a 38 special revolver in a shoulder rig if I'm wearing a jacket and feeling nostalgic.

In the northeast,quite a few people are carrying the 380 as a pocket gun,without a holster. Problem in mass is no matter what you carry it has to have the trigger pull set at 10.

In the northeast,quite a few people are carrying the 380 as a pocket gun,without a holster. Problem in mass is no matter what you carry it has to have the trigger pull set at 10.

Pocket gun I carry a .25. Close range it's plenty lethal.

I have two CC rigs:

1. 80% of the time I carry my Springfield XD-9 subcompact in a SmartCarry.
  2. About 20% of the time it's the Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Milt Sparks VersaMax II IWB.
For open carry:
  • Glock 21 fullsize .45 in a Blackhawk Serpa Level III duty

In the northeast,quite a few people are carrying the 380 as a pocket gun,without a holster.

What impresses me about the Ruger LC9s is that it's really .380-sized.

Pistols loose in a pocket concern me. I'd rather have a pocket holster that covers the trigger and safety, if equipped.

What impresses me about the Ruger LC9s is that it's really .380-sized.

Pistols loose in a pocket concern me. I'd rather have a pocket holster that covers the trigger and safety, if equipped.
you're not carrying with it chambered?.....are you? :yikes: :D

Walther PPS, Smith & Wesson Shield, Springfield XDs, Sig P938. That will get you started.

I don't concealed carry, but I open carry in a holster sometimes if I'm out in the boonies. My home defense weapon of choices is a S&W model 639 (stainless steel model 39) loaded with Gold Dots. Second choice is a Colt MkIV M1911 with ball ammo.

I have a parkerized Argentine model Hi Power and pops has a beautiful FN Hi Power, which is made like a Swiss watch. Both are nice to look at but the Hi Power is probably dead last in my choice of a defense weapon.

I've been toying around with getting a Sig Sauer P226. I've shot one before, and I find it to be a little more controllable than the Smith, although the Smith does a pretty good job. I used to shoot my 39 and 639 in IPSC competitions back in the day.

so....what's the most comfortable conceal rig.....for sitting and flying?:popcorn::happydance:

Glock 43 in a Comp-Tac MTAC inside-the-waistband holster. Hardly know it's there. Before the 43 came out, I carried a 27 in the same type of holster and it was just as comfortable.

A little hard to carry concealed, but great for home defense....

And legal to own.

Gatling_gun_1865.jpg

A pocket pistol in a Galco inside-the-belt holster allows me to carry my 380 when wearing slacks and a tuck-in shirt and nobody will detect the gun. Galco makes a few similar holsters that offer different ways to get your hand on the gun. Grab the grip, push the barrel up... Choices.

+1

Galco and my trusty Bersa Thunder 380.

Kahr PM45 and a versacarry IWB minimalist holster
1fde4d606077f9d92a6393d2d0ca26c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back