Wondering what's a good concealed carry rig ...

Yup. Gander sometimes actually has reasonable prices on certain ammo though. They're weird like that.
Yeah, I got a used gun there once that they screwed up and didn't list for more than the MSRP for a new model which seems to be their usual mode of operation.

Whoever made that list isn't too concerned about their personal safety. Bersa?? KelTec?? Boberg?? What the hell is a Boberg??

If you're going o carry for personal protection at least get a gun from a known manufacture

Everyone has to drive a Chevy !

Why would you care whether it is a common manufacturer ? If it is reliable, it is good to go. The trick with the Boberg controlled feed is that it adds barrel length compared to a Browning action of similar overall length. I dont know how reliable it is.

+1

Can't tell you how many stories I hear of folks who buy a firearm for personal protection, but have not thoroughly vetted and familiarized themselves with it.

From personal experience where I live I see a lot of people getting training, joining gun clubs, and practicing. Especially women, and first time gun owners.

If anyone wants to know the wholesale price ( obviously this varies a little) of something you're looking at, I'd be happy to tell you. Or you can look at most of the Internet places, they tend to sell for a few bucks over wholesale, or completely Gank you. Gander Mountain, Cabelas and Bass Pro all suck on prices. Academy is more reasonable, local shops around here beat them most of the time... Of course there are a couple local shops that try to hose everyone, and then get mad at all the tire kickers...

I've been looking into this for a long time. There are as many opinions as possibilities. Find a range that has rentals and see what you like best.

If anyone wants to know the wholesale price ( obviously this varies a little) of something you're looking at, I'd be happy to tell you. Or you can look at most of the Internet places, they tend to sell for a few bucks over wholesale, or completely Gank you. Gander Mountain, Cabelas and Bass Pro all suck on prices. Academy is more reasonable, local shops around here beat them most of the time... Of course there are a couple local shops that try to hose everyone, and then get mad at all the tire kickers...

Without holding one yet, I'm kinda liking what I see and read about the Springfield 1911 EMP.

What can I expect to pay for one say at a local gun shop? :redface:

+1

Can't tell you how many stories I hear of folks who buy a firearm for personal protection, but have not thoroughly vetted and familiarized themselves with it.

Everyone starts somewhere. I see a lot of folks who are new working on basics right now at the range.

Eventually they'll get to the point where if it won't put 500 rounds downrange in one session without a stoppage, it's not a self defense tool, it's a range toy.

But they're not there yet.

If you buy something that won't run right you'll get really good at stoppage drills the hard way, and you'll know you bought the wrong defensive pistol. ;)

It's a problem. I sit pretty much smack dab in the middle of THREE pretty nice ranges (I'm closest to Blue Ridge Arsenal, I lived for 25 years just up the street from the NRA HQ range, but I usually head out the back way from my house to Elite Shooting Sports...nicer place, more lanes, and 50 and 100 m lanes as well).

None of these will really train you for concealed carry UNLESS YOU ALREAY OWN A GUN.
Only Blue Ridge rents guns but if I recall correctly, they require you to have your own gun and holster for the CHP class they offer. Certainly both Elite and NRA require it (as they don't provide anything there but ammo and targets).

Of course, the local gun shops and the megasports stores will sell you a gun as long as you can pass the background check with little more than the owner's manual that comes with it (in fact, several of my guns are used and didn't even come with them, but almost every manufacturer out there has them online). Couple this with the sad fact that despite the other carping about how gun hostile the current administration is in this state, Virginia is one of the few places you can get both a CHP and a Hunting License without ever having to touch a firearm first. Short online courses will suit for either (I actually screwed up and took the CHP course online not realizing that the state will accept my hunting license of proof of gun safety qualification).

As an aside...

I love the early Ruger DA revolvers, including the Security Six which I carried for years as a service revolver.

Bill Ruger was a genius. Compare the complicated lockwork of a typical Colt or S&W to a Ruger. If you're not familiar with them, try to find a YouTube video of one being field stripped. Really quite amazing in its simplicity.

My first personal gun. Needed something to carry with me on sailboat trips around south Florida. Still all around perfect home defense weapon. Not as "cool" as the Walther PPK/S or the 1911.

Without holding one yet, I'm kinda liking what I see and read about the Springfield 1911 EMP.

What can I expect to pay for one say at a local gun shop? :redface:

Wholesale prices between 975-1035 typically. It is realistic for a gun shop to try to make 10-15% on something like that, + tax of course...

Online you'll see them at 1050 - 1125 with no tax if you buy from the right place.. Would have a transfer fee on top of that, $20 around here...

All my 'tools' are old school and heavy. I haven't bought a firearm in decades and was just wondering what's out there with good stopping power and lightweight.

Thinking along the lines of reliable, powerful, and light. Easily concealable because I don't think I'll open carry even when we can.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a Glock model 26. The 9mm mini Glock.

SIG gives you a pretty hefty discount on one order of accessories after purchase of a gun. They were also running nice rebates earlier this year. Always pays to shop around.

Wholesale prices between 975-1035 typically. It is realistic for a gun shop to try to make 10-15% on something like that, + tax of course...

Online you'll see them at 1050 - 1125 with no tax if you buy from the right place.. Would have a transfer fee on top of that, $20 around here...

Thanks. I drove by the gun shop today but he's still closed for holidays I guess ...

Oh and once or twice a year Springfield has a mail in rebate... Lately it's been 2-3 free mags and other swag...

Current one ends 12/31
http://blog.springfield-armory.com/gearupandgo

That deal really did well for them this year, it's been going on for a while now. Mags are expensive accessories these days... tossing free ones to people so they don't have to buy $100 worth of them after buying the gun, is smart business.

They know how to hit a guy where it hurts, if you're a Sig fan... Sig magazines... whew...

SIG gives you a pretty hefty discount on one order of accessories after purchase of a gun. They were also running nice rebates earlier this year. Always pays to shop around.

Wait... what? Aww hell, I think I missed something. Never seen that deal.

You need to carry THE JUDGE on your hip.

The goofy thing that can't decide if it's a handheld shotgun or a revolver? :)

My son bought one and ended up taking it back or trading it ... anyway he got rid of it.

He said he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. :dunno:

Yep...
Its made to blast someone standing 5 feet in front of you....
You planning to have a gunfight like the old western days?

Yep...
Its made to blast someone standing 5 feet in front of you....
You planning to have a gunfight like the old western days?

Not saying I can do it now, I'm older, but at one time I could hit the metal silhouette of a chicken at 200meters with my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

It took me three rounds to do it, but the first two would have scared the crap out of the chicken! :lol:

Not saying I can do it now, I'm older, but at one time I could hit the metal silhouette of a chicken at 200meters with my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

It took me three rounds to do it, but the first two would have scared the crap out of the chicken! :lol:

Recently ran across paper targets that had those standard steel animal images printed on them. I thought that was very odd.

Someone wants to practice hitting steel chickens at the paper range so they buy tiny paper targets of steel targets. Ha. Weird.

I was thinking about printing an 8x11 sheet full of New England Patriot logos myself. ;)

Figured it'd be worth a chuckle or two at the range.

If it is reliable, it is good to go.

Thats really what it comes down to. Im a gun snob I guess. Not stuck on any one manufacturer but dont have too many 'off' brands. The trick is, as others have said, is to put enough rounds through the gun that you are completely comfortable with its reliability.

Thats really what it comes down to. Im a gun snob I guess. Not stuck on any one manufacturer but dont have too many 'off' brands. The trick is, as others have said, is to put enough rounds through the gun that you are completely comfortable with its reliability.

I would like to qualify what I said:

If it is reliable and drop-safe*, it is good to go.

*there are some older designs that may be perfectly reliable in terms of going bang when you pull the trigger but dont have a firing pin block or or disconnector and are known to fire spontaneously if dropped hard. Ok for a range toy, not ok for a carry pistol.

I would like to qualify what I said:

If it is reliable and drop-safe*, it is good to go.

*there are some older designs that may be perfectly reliable in terms of going bang when you pull the trigger but dont have a firing pin block or or disconnector and are known to fire spontaneously if dropped hard. Ok for a range toy, not ok for a carry pistol.

I don't require a disconnected bar or firing pin block to feel happy with a firearm. For my 1911, I just threw in a Wolff HD firing pin spring and consider that to be overkill, and I routinely carry it.

My EDC is a Glock 43. Best carry gun i've had so far. It is small enough to fit in my front jeans pocket. It doesn't present any issues with anything I wear. Get a gun you will carry all the time.

If i'm feeling the need for more firepower / round count i'll carry a Glock 17 or one of my Sigs.

Glock, Sig, Smith. In that order.

My BBQ gun is a Smith and Wesson Model 19 2.5" combat magnum.

I don't require a disconnected bar or firing pin block to feel happy with a firearm. For my 1911, I just threw in a Wolff HD firing pin spring and consider that to be overkill, and I routinely carry it.

This is why 1911's are safer to carry in condition 1. I don't know of any that have tended to fire on the firing pin inertia alone (some Berettas have been known to do this with the safety off, these are ones not safe to carry with the safety off). Having the hammer back isn't going to be an issue. Having it uncocked (coupled with the fact that as Colt designed it, there's no real safe way to do this) leaves the hammer where a drop can drive it into the pin.

Best to understand your gun, it's vulnerabilities, and how to deal with it safety.

This is why 1911's are safer to carry in condition 1. I don't know of any that have tended to fire on the firing pin inertia alone (some Berettas have been known to do this with the safety off, these are ones not safe to carry with the safety off). Having the hammer back isn't going to be an issue. Having it uncocked (coupled with the fact that as Colt designed it, there's no real safe way to do this) leaves the hammer where a drop can drive it into the pin.

Best to understand your gun, it's vulnerabilities, and how to deal with it safety.

Exactly. Condition 1 is the ONLY way to carry a 1911. I've only heard of drop fires occurring with a hammer down. And I've talked to folks that leave it half-cocked, relying on the hammer tang to hold it... nevermind the fact that it could jump the tang without the safety locking the sear.

The 80 series with the firing pin block even have gone off when safed... but the only example I can think of was the guy that took it in to the MRI room :lol:

Exactly. Condition 1 is the ONLY way to carry a 1911. I've only heard of drop fires occurring with a hammer down. And I've talked to folks that leave it half-cocked, relying on the hammer tang to hold it... nevermind the fact that it could jump the tang without the safety locking the sear.

The 80 series with the firing pin block even have gone off when safed... but the only example I can think of was the guy that took it in to the MRI room :lol:

Wow - I haven't heard that story of someone with a Schwartz safety (i.e. Series 80 Safety) in an O-frame that had a ND when dropped on the muzzle. I'll have to look for that story... but even with a Series 70 (non-firing pin safety) I have no issue carrying an O-frame in Condition 1.

Wow - I haven't heard that story of someone with a Schwartz safety (i.e. Series 80 Safety) in an O-frame that had a ND when dropped on the muzzle. I'll have to look for that story... but even with a Series 70 (non-firing pin safety) I have no issue carrying an O-frame in Condition 1.

He didn't exactly drop it on the muzzle... The MRI stole it from him and the magnet managed to simultaneously pull the block out of the way and throw the pin in to the primer.

Back