Wondering what's a good concealed carry rig ...

yup, you have to have a "need"....like carrying cash.....for your bidness. :rolleyes2:

a bidness....LLC....and demonstration of cash transactions over a few months will do the trick.

No need for cash. Just deposits. Does have a restriction to 'while carrying deposits'.

No need for cash. Just deposits. Does have a restriction to 'while carrying deposits'.
financial transactions.....which includes commerce or any other business activity. I'm not aware of any incidence where this was challenged.....

Last edited:
Wouldn't want any actual producers of taxes and commerce being harmed feeding the machine. Everyone else can suck it. - Maryland

financial transactions.....which includes commerce or any other business activity. I'm not aware of any incidence where this was challenged.....

Make sure you always have one of those handy bank wallets with a couple of undeposited checks in your possession :wink2: The point was it doesn't have to be cash.

Make sure you always have one of those handy bank wallets with a couple of undeposited checks in your possession :wink2: The point was it doesn't have to be cash.
Ya but.....I carry a wad of cash....:yikes:

Believe it or not in my county in komnifornia all you have to state is for personal protection...........If you have a clean record and pass the DOJ search you are guaranteed a CCW.

In Virginia the code used to say "for lawful defense and security." In fact, the application doesn't even request a reason anymore. It's a shall issue. You pay your fee, you swear you aren't one of the "bad guys" and your background check comes back clean, it's a no brainer. Took about 30 days in my county (after I wasted 10 minutes taking the $19.99 online gun safety course as I didn't realize my hunting license already sufficed for that).

Most instructors can point to numerous scenarios. There's also quite a collection of video surveillance camera footage of various events on YouTube, some worth watching, others crap.

It's becoming more prevalent now that the normally quiet firearms community got attacked by all the politicians... Again... Over already illegal stuff they didn't do, nor condone.

There's even a few dedicated websites that collect them all in one place. Not like a few years ago when such stories were not even written by the press or not distributed widely.

Of course we still get every little detail in the news reports about the whackos down to when they had their first solid food, and virtually nothing about the folks who saved their own or other's lives, but I chalk that up to this.

The most common two phrases in those stories are, "Authorities are investigating but will likely not press charges", and "[insert citizen's name here] said s/he didn't want to kill anyone but s/he did what s/he had to do."

It's kinda boring for the "news" except during times of false drama about guns and traitorous acts toward gun owners from politicians. And even then it sells less seats to the ringside at the circus (TV ads) than the monkey squawking of anti-gunners.

So, it takes about five of the successful self defense articles to even register in the retinas of TV viewers to every one politician suckling on Bloomberg's nipples.

Speaking of Bloomberg, he got the NBA's high end ghetto thugs to do ads for Bloomberg's anti-gun propaganda.

I guess the NBA doesn't understand demographics.

Folks were discussing the merits of revolvers vs semi-autos.

This video both demonstrates why carrying in a condition that's not ready to fire, and also not paying attention to what type of mechanism a particular pistol employs, could be the difference in whether it can even be used in self-defense.

As some have pointed out, this type of information is taught in scenario-based advanced training and isn't taught by standing at a firing line, even if one can draw from a holster, which isn't allowed at a great many (too many) ranges.

A $19.95 online course certainly isn't going to cover it. Neither are the practical shooting "gun games" like IDPA, which have their place, but engage targets at ranges greater than most folks ever feel threatened enough to be able to prove deadly force was required.

Get thee to a real instructor and course is the take-away from this post. Shooting paper at 30 yards builds a specific skill, stuff like this is a completely different skillset.

http://youtu.be/ZH9WctkuwLA

Believe it or not in my county in komnifornia all you have to state is for personal protection...........If you have a clean record and pass the DOJ search you are guaranteed a CCW.

In a true "shall issue" state, you don't have to give a reason.

In Virginia the code used to say "for lawful defense and security." In fact, the application doesn't even request a reason anymore. It's a shall issue. You pay your fee, you swear you aren't one of the "bad guys" and your background check comes back clean, it's a no brainer. Took about 30 days in my county (after I wasted 10 minutes taking the $19.99 online gun safety course as I didn't realize my hunting license already sufficed for that).

I read the DA in Virginia just dissalowed all other State permits.

I read the DA in Virginia just dissalowed all other State permits.

You misread it then, because it didn't happen. What happened is the AG actually got around to enforcing the law on the book. The statute says that the police can set it up so Virginia will honor the permits from another state provided:

1. They have an online database of issued permits (which most do have).
2. That their law denies permits to all people who would be denied permits in Virginia.

The problem is that Virginia has a few arcane conditions that other states don't have like disqualifying you after two misdemeanors in the past five years, DUI in ten I think, etc....

The AG had the State Police send letters to all these states saying that they would be not be honored after Feb 1 unless they could show they were indeed in compliance with Virginia's terms.

It wasn't all the states, but it was a good number of them. There's still about four left.

The problem is that our law doesn't say what other states say which gives the discretion for "substantially the same". It's pretty clear, if you could get a permit in the other state and you would be denied in VA, then they can not honor the other state's permits.

This one is going to take some work on the legislature's part, I think.

You misread it then, because it didn't happen. What happened is the AG actually got around to enforcing the law on the book. The statute says that the police can set it up so Virginia will honor the permits from another state provided:

2. That their law denies permits to all people who would be denied permits in Virginia.

The problem is that Virginia has a few arcane conditions that other states don't have like disqualifying you after two misdemeanors in the past five years, DUI in ten I think, etc....

The AG had the State Police send letters to all these states saying that they would be not be honored after Feb 1 unless they could show they were indeed in compliance with Virginia's terms.

It wasn't all the states, but it was a good number of them. There's still about four left.

The problem is that our law doesn't say what other states say which gives the discretion for "substantially the same". It's pretty clear, if you could get a permit in the other state and you would be denied in VA, then they can not honor the other state's permits.

OK got it.

Merry Christmas.

How do you like the 43? Does it feel noticeably thinner than double stacks like my 27?

Love the 43. Carry it in the front pocket of my jeans daily.
I don't have a 27 to base off of so I can't say for sure how much thinner, only that it's way thinner than my 21 lol. I can lay a nickel on top of the slide and it overhangs very slightly in each side.

Last edited:
Love the 43. Carry it in the front pocket of my jeans daily.
I don't have a 27 to base off of so I can't say for sure how much thinner, only that it's way thinner than my 21 lol. I can lay a nickel on top of the slide and it overhangs very slightly in each side.

Both the 27 and 43 are nice. I prefer the 27 caliber and clip capacity but the 43 is thinner and that makes it easier to conceal in some situations.

Attachments

• IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Both the 27 and 43 are nice. I prefer the 27 caliber and clip capacity but the 43 is thinner and that makes it easier to conceal in some situations.

That's interesting that the 43 doesn't have finger grooves on the front of the grip. I'm not sure I Iike that. I'll have to go to the gun shop to check one out.

Thanks. I don't think he misread it, the stories that have come out about this in various media have left out the details you've provided. They shed a different light on the issue, whether we agree with the law or not. I hope the Virginia legislature fixes this (soon).

Magazine capacity is definitely a draw back to the 43, but with the trade off for weight and bulk it's just part of it. That's why I went with the TTI +2 basepad.

I don't even notice the lack of finger grooves on the 43 as my G22 is the only other handgun I own that has the grooves.

Agreed, the finger shapes are no big deal either way. The 43 is a comfy gun in my big hand and more comfy than the 27g4 in my ankle holster but wifey likes the 43 and I prefer 40 S&W so that's how that goes. Both are excellent CC choices but if concealment isn't an issue I'll choose my model 22 every time. Love that gun!

Thanks. I don't think he misread it, the stories that have come out about this in various media have left out the details you've provided. They shed a different light on the issue, whether we agree with the law or not. I hope the Virginia legislature fixes this (soon).

Agreed. The one thing I really hate about the NRA and much of the gun groups is that they usually portray a pretty distorted view that usually starts with "Obama is further pursuing his agenda to take our guns..." If there was some sane firearms proponent group out there, I'd sure be interested in it.

This Virginia action is pretty bad (and the timing is really the dastardly thing more than anything else). However, it's pretty much exactly what the law requires. If the assembly wasted wiggle room, they needed to have written that into the code.

Of course, we do have a rather hostile governor in this state. Some of the stuff he's done WITHIN his discretion has been pretty dastardly.

Agreed. The one thing I really hate about the NRA and much of the gun groups is that they usually portray a pretty distorted view that usually starts with "Obama is further pursuing his agenda to take our guns..." If there was some sane firearms proponent group out there, I'd sure be interested in it.

This Virginia action is pretty bad (and the timing is really the dastardly thing more than anything else). However, it's pretty much exactly what the law requires. If the assembly wasted wiggle room, they needed to have written that into the code.

Of course, we do have a rather hostile governor in this state. Some of the stuff he's done WITHIN his discretion has been pretty dastardly.

People seem to want to vote on Presidents on Party ideology and never or rarely about what Presidents actually are supposed to do under our Comstitution. Pro-Dem sites make similar claims about Conservatives.

It'll take longer than my lifespan for humans to finally figure out politicians aren't ever on their side. No matter what the side is.

But whining that a Party figurehead gets blamed for stupid distractions like gun control from their Party (a distraction from all the things that Party or any Party promised but can't deliver on, even when they hold a voting majority), is puzzling. He wants to be that figurehead and has made speeches espousing same. Keeps him in Hawaiian vacations and golf.

The NRA isn't selective. They took pot shots at Bush when he was in office even after endorsing him as a candidate. They're really anti-government more than anything else. This happened when a fanatical faction took over the organization in the mid-seventies.

The NRA isn't selective. They took pot shots at Bush when he was in office even after endorsing him as a candidate. They're really anti-government more than anything else. This happened when a fanatical faction took over the organization in the mid-seventies.

Not sure how that jives with their repeated stance that government should actually enforce laws already on the books. That's not really possible without a strong government.

Care to link to multiple sources showing them saying there should not be any government? I can't find 'em. I can find plenty of articles where they lament how poor a job government is doing and suggest they do better.

Which "fanatical faction" specifically would that be? I know of one or two BoD members who are probably due for not being re-elected, but a "faction" implies a whole lot of leadership. Names?

NRA got old to me like AOPA constantly asking for money and bombarding my mailbox and inbox with solicitations.

Enough already!

Last one on the list looks interesting but they fixed a non existent problem IMO.
Last handgun I heard of with this feeding style was the Remington R51, which anyone who got excited about the hype a few years back found out what a huge disappointment that paper weight turned out to be.

Boberg-XR45-S-cross-section.jpg

Boberg XR9-S

T McMurry just might be right; the Boberg XR9-S is the shortest 9mm on the list at 5.1 inches long. It is a not even an inch wide and has a 3.65-inch barrel, yet, “recoil is equivalent to a .380.” Bobergs are “handmade” says the owner of two of them. Some of you might say, “Oh, so that explains why it looks a little weird,” but that is not the case at all. The Boberg XR9-S has a different type of loading mechanism, once only used successfully in machine guns. The Boberg loads ammo “nose forward,” meaning the ‘XR Feeding Technology’ grabs the rim of the cartridge and loads the cartridge backwards into the gun. T McMurry says, “Down South it’s nice to have that kind of power in a true pocket pistol. They are super accurate at 25 yards and because of low recoil, fun to shoot.” Are you ready for the big kicker? The Boberg sells for just a teeny less than a grand.

BOBERG ARMS XR9-S
Caliber 9mm
Barrel Length 3.35 inches
Capacity 7 rounds
Overall Height 4.2 inches
Overall Length 5.1 inches
Overall Width 0.96 inches
Weight Unloaded 17.4 ounces
Sights Low profile dovetail windage adjustable
Grip High-toughness Zytel polymer
Price $994.07
User rating 4.5 out of 5 stars

Last edited:
I just ran across this "top 12 list." My CC made the list :whistles:

Top 12, readers' choice

There's a couple of pistols on that list that are decent and a few that look like CTD doing their usual thing of trying to sell garbage that nobody else can move off a shelf, even if you gave them away.

Not a fan of CTD. No offense hopefully to anyone who is. Bottom feeders, IMHO.

They were the first major distributor to raise prices to astronomical levels during the first "Obama's Gonna Take The Guns" scare and amongst the last to lower them on total junk firearms.

They used the money to buy radio ads and airtime on various right wing talk shows. They have a massive ad contract with ClearChannel/iHeart still ongoing. The ad copy is embarrassingly manipulative.

Voting with my dollar means CTD won't ever see a dime from me.

Only place with worse stories of bad customer service and questionable products (often believed to be factory seconds or returns that have been repaired, and sold off as new) is Bud's.

Like most large Internet retailers there's probably some truth and some fiction to it all, but I'll gladly pay a bit more at a local store who's a direct factory retailer than bother with CTD or Bud's. A place where if something shows up with obvious damage or problems, they'll want to keep me as a customer.

CTD and Bud's have plenty of horror stories documented around the web of not handling problems well.

If I want to go cheap, Sportsman's Warehouse locally usually fits the bill pretty well and comes close enough or equal to the two online place's prices.

Do wish we had an Academy nearby though. I hear good things from afar.

Dick's Sporting Goods is off the list for purchases forever due to their stance of pulling every rifle off the shelves after Sandy Hook at some weird request of their own lawyers.

Cabelas is great if you want to overpay. They have big loans to pay back from all of their expansion and it shows in their prices. When I can beat Cabelas at a small gun store, they're doing something very wrong at their size and scale.

Same with Bass Pro Shops. Insanely high pricing. Great selection but often selling at or way too close to MSRP.

Whoever made that list isn't too concerned about their personal safety. Bersa?? KelTec?? Boberg?? What the hell is a Boberg??

If you're going o carry for personal protection at least get a gun from a known manufacture

There's a couple of pistols on that list that are decent and a few that look like CTD doing their usual thing of trying to sell garbage that nobody else can move off a shelf, even if you gave them away.

Not a fan of CTD. No offense hopefully to anyone who is. Bottom feeders, IMHO.

They were the first major distributor to raise prices to astronomical levels during the first "Obama's Gonna Take The Guns" scare and amongst the last to lower them on total junk firearms.

They used the money to buy radio ads and airtime on various right wing talk shows. They have a massive ad contract with ClearChannel/iHeart still ongoing. The ad copy is embarrassingly manipulative.

Voting with my dollar means CTD won't ever see a dime from me.

Only place with worse stories of bad customer service and questionable products (often believed to be factory seconds or returns that have been repaired, and sold off as new) is Bud's.

Like most large Internet retailers there's probably some truth and some fiction to it all, but I'll gladly pay a bit more at a local store who's a direct factory retailer than bother with CTD or Bud's. A place where if something shows up with obvious damage or problems, they'll want to keep me as a customer.

CTD and Bud's have plenty of horror stories documented around the web of not handling problems well.

If I want to go cheap, Sportsman's Warehouse locally usually fits the bill pretty well and comes close enough or equal to the two online place's prices.

Do wish we had an Academy nearby though. I hear good things from afar.

Dick's Sporting Goods is off the list for purchases forever due to their stance of pulling every rifle off the shelves after Sandy Hook at some weird request of their own lawyers.

Cabelas is great if you want to overpay. They have big loans to pay back from all of their expansion and it shows in their prices. When I can beat Cabelas at a small gun store, they're doing something very wrong at their size and scale.

Same with Bass Pro Shops. Insanely high pricing. Great selection but often selling at or way too close to MSRP.

Gander Mountain is also obscenely expensive. I prefer to just buy at my local gun shop if they are in the ballpark price-wise.

They don't sell guns, but one online retailer that I regularly use is MidwayUSA.

By your argument, nobody should ever start a new gun company? Maybe you've not heard of Boberg, but they've been at it for nearly 15 years now. They're trying to make some technological advances in pistols rather than making half-assed clones of last century's Colt design.

Kel-Tec's been around longer specializing (among other things) in the concealable pistols.

Bersa was founded by a couple of Beretta (you've heard of them?) employees who went independent in the 1950's, settling in Argentina after coworking with the leading arms manufacturer there.

Gander Mountain is also obscenely expensive. I prefer to just buy at my local gun shop if they are in the ballpark price-wise.

They don't sell guns, but one online retailer that I regularly use is MidwayUSA.

My local small town hardware store/gun shop has as good or better pricing than I can find anywhere at larger named stores or online. And better yet, he'll buy back guns that you decide that you don't like.

I bought a Taurus 38 special revolver earlier in the year. Shot one box of ammo thru it. Didn't like it. I sold the pistol, holster and remaining ammo back to him for $50 less than I paid him for it all.

An amazing guy with amazing service. Gotta love small town america for some things....

The following should elicit belly laughs from the true gun aficionados here...

Of the five pistols I own, I think the best shooter is...

My Hi Point C9 9mm.

I've put at least a dozen boxes of ammo thru it and it's a great little gun, shoots straight, never jams, and I think I paid about $130 for it on sale with a 2nd magazine.

Not a good CC weapon though, a bit large.

I do like my Tanfoglio Witness 9mm also though, but again, not for CC.

My CC is a S&W Bodyguard 380 in my front pocket in a pocket holster.

The other two typically stay in the center consoles of my trucks...which are lockable.

Last edited:
Anyone have a Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm? Just curious as to opinions on this one.

The following should elicit belly laughs from the true gun aficionados here...

Of the five pistols I own, I think the best shooter is...

My Hi Point C9 9mm.

I've put at least a dozen boxes of ammo thru it and it's a great little gun, shoots straight, never jams, and I think I paid about $130 for it on sale with a 2nd magazine.

Not a good CC weapon though, a bit large.

I do like my Tanfoglio Witness 9mm also though, but again, not for CC.

My CC is a S&W Bodyguard 380 in my front pocket in a pocket holster.

The other two typically stay in the center consoles of my trucks...which are lockable.

Which is funny because my brother's Hi-point 9mm will jam on almost every single shot. They are definitely lacking consistency. :D

Which is funny because my brother's Hi-point 9mm will jam on almost every single shot. They are definitely lacking consistency. :D

You sure he's not "limp-wristing" it? All semi-autos will jam if not held securely.

Yup. Gander sometimes actually has reasonable prices on certain ammo though. They're weird like that.

Anyone have a Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm? Just curious as to opinions on this one.

Fascinated by it, but like you, can't find many who have actually owned one for opinions. And for that kind of money the "restart" of the Sig 225 appeals to me more.

There's a YouTube video that talks about that and the fix. Has something to do with the geometry of the magazine's "wings" (tabs?) and explains how to tweak them to eliminate the issue.

I can't speak to the validity of their theory or fix because I've never had the issue.

You sure he's not "limp-wristing" it? All semi-autos will jam if not held securely.

Three of us shot it, then shot my M&P right afterwards. The Hi-Point jammed for all three of us, the M&P did not. I've also never had any of my other pistols jam. So I'm absolutely sure it's the Hi-Point.

Back