Wondering what's a good concealed carry rig ...

Cause I have a regiment....and a routine that checks and verifies an empty chamber when returning the weapon home. :goofy:

I also do not leave my weapons loaded at home.....racking is part of my shooting action. :yes:

btw....the M&Ps have a lil window that allows one to "see" if a round is chambered.

No, believing you have always left the gun unloaded is exactly how accidental discharges happen. Much like with aviation accidents, gun accidents are typically chains of screw ups. Do your best to avoid ALL the potential cases.

meh....ok. I'll go with that. :D

all weapons are stored....."open" chambered. I can jam a clip and have one chambered in 1-2 seconds. As I draw from being concealed....it can be racked as the weapon is raised....so, no biggie.

I make no claims on being a quick draw McGraw.....and she'll never say "I didn't know the gun was loaded". :goofy:
No, believing you have always left the gun unloaded is exactly how accidental discharges happen. Much like with aviation accidents, gun accidents are typically chains of screw ups. Do your best to avoid ALL the potential cases.

Last edited:
As an aside...

I love the early Ruger DA revolvers, including the Security Six which I carried for years as a service revolver.

Bill Ruger was a genius. Compare the complicated lockwork of a typical Colt or S&W to a Ruger. If you're not familiar with them, try to find a YouTube video of one being field stripped. Really quite amazing in its simplicity.

I like the transfer bar tech on my Rugers. It avoids a misfire or hammer blow because the trigger must be fully depressed.

I can jam a clip and have one chambered in 1-2 seconds.

Possibly.

But under stress, fine motor skills degrade very rapidly. One can end up fumbling even simple actions. And an adversary can close the distance and be on top of you with a knife or club in the 1-2 seconds that seems like plenty of time.

That said, I carried a compact SA .45 for years. I carried it with an empty chamber, convinced it was the safest way, and thinking like you do.

Modern DA semi-autos are quite safe with one in the chamber. Most have the firing pin or hammer blocked, locked or otherwise out of the action with the safety engaged, and with many the trigger must me fully to the rear to fire. Those without external safeties, like the Glock, do make me a tad nervous, but that's another debate.

Downside to external safeties is that's yet another thing to fumble with under stress. Repeated practice sp that drawing and releasing the safety is one action is the only possible cure for that.

Here's an LC9 in a pocket holster:

Desantis-Nemesis-Pocket-Holster-Ruger-LC9.jpg

Compared with Ruger's 380:

IMG_1003.jpg

Just FYI.. i'm sure thats an LCP in the top shot, not an LC9. Desantis has the image wrong on their website.

I have an LCP with the same holster. Fits very nicely in the front pocket. An LC9 is too big for me to carry in my front pocket.

Please tell me you are joking around.

Nope. Have had a TX CHL for years and it's not a big deal. I cover lots of desert and basically always have a 22mag pistol with me with snake shot as the first round.

Always - except where I see signs prohibiting it... which I do watch for.

Those I ignore - unless it's a federal building - or one of the seven places listed on my concealed permit. They can ask me to leave politely if they find out I am carrying - which they won't. But the laws vary state to state. A business owner putting up a prohibited sign does not overrule state law, here. But I can be asked to leave, at which point I don't get in trouble for carrying, but for trespassing, if I don't leave.

Last edited:
Those I ignore - unless it's a federal building - or one of the seven places listed on my concealed permit. They can ask me to leave politely if they find out I am carrying - which they won't. But the laws vary state to state. A business owner putting up a prohibited sign does not overrule state law, here. But I can be asked to leave, at which point I don't get in trouble for carrying, but for trespassing, if I don't leave.
just seven?

which are those?:confused:

just seven?

which are those?:confused:

Well, seven types:

School/School Property - although this has changed slightly.
Child/Day Care Center
Sports Arena/Stadium
Bar/Tavern where the sale of liquor is more than 50% of the revenue.
Places of worship
Entertainment facility with seating capacity greater than 2500
Hospitals

But, you can carry in your place of worship with permission from the Pastor/Rabbi/etc..
You can also carry in the bar with permission of the owner of the establishment - this I have taken advantage of.
I also assume that is the case with the day care center, however not having children, I have not bothered to see if permission is granted by whoever is running.
I thought that if permission was granted by the superintendent/principal one could carry on school property, but again not having children, and not having been on any school property in 20+ years it hasn't been a concern of mine.

we have 13....

Where are Firearms Prohibited?
Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.

1. On school property (CR 4-102)
2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)
3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)
4. On an aircraft engaged in air commerce services (TR 5-1008)
5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably belives individuals possesses property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or esplosives (BR 15-203)
6. On dredge boats (NR 4-1013)
7. In/On State public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)
8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)
9. On State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)
10. On State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)
11. On State Highways (COMAR 11.04.07.12)
12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)
13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)​
Well, seven types:

School/School Property - although this has changed slightly.
Child/Day Care Center
Sports Arena/Stadium
Bar/Tavern where the sale of liquor is more than 50% of the revenue.
Places of worship
Entertainment facility with seating capacity greater than 2500
Hospitals

But, you can carry in your place of worship with permission from the Pastor/Rabbi/etc..
You can also carry in the bar with permission of the owner of the establishment - this I have taken advantage of.
I also assume that is the case with the day care center, however not having children, I have not bothered to see if permission is granted by whoever is running.
I thought that if permission was granted by the superintendent/principal one could carry on school property, but again not having children, and not having been on any school property in 20+ years it hasn't been a concern of mine.

* I respect others enough that if they don't want me carrying, and post a sign to let me know, I don't carry on their property. It's common courtesy.

* I keep an empty casing in the chamber. I honestly don't think I'll ever really need to defend myself with a gun. It's just that I'd rather have one than not have one. And if a situation should arise where I need my gun I'm certainly not going to be Quickdraw McGraw. I think the element of surprise would catch me and it would take a few seconds to assess the situation anyway. An extra second to put a round in the chamber likely isn't going to make a difference one way or the other - and the safety factor is worth the tradeoff to me.

Why the empty casing?

Seems like added chance of the brass jamming with no benefit I can think of.

Plus no way to determine if the gun is "hot".

What am I missing?

An extra second to put a round in the chamber likely isn't going to make a difference one way or the other...

Could be the difference between life and death.

Modern DA semi-autos are quite safe with one in the chamber. Most have the firing pin or hammer blocked, locked or otherwise out of the action with the safety engaged, and with many the trigger must me fully to the rear to fire. Those without external safeties, like the Glock, do make me a tad nervous, but that's another debate.

Consider a XD/XDm/XDs with the 1911 style backstrap safety. No additional steps required but elimnates the risk from items getting snagged by the trigger.

An extra second to put a round in the chamber likely isn't going to make a difference one way or the other - and the safety factor is worth the tradeoff to me.

On modern weapons, if you don't pull the trigger, it isn't going to go bang. Yes, I'm a proponent of condition 1 and have carried like that for over a decade. No AD's, no issues, just always treat the weapon as loaded.

On modern weapons, if you don't pull the trigger, it isn't going to go bang. Yes, I'm a proponent of condition 1 and have carried like that for over a decade. No AD's, no issues, just always treat the weapon as loaded.

+1

However, I will say that I prefer to have a safety of some sort (beyond your finger off the trigger.) For EDC, I prefer my XDS because of the grip safety over my G30s.

Exactly. When you are not carrying with a round in the chamber you are essentially carrying an unloaded gun. Would you carry a revolver with an empty cylinder? What if you are unable to rack the slide of a semi auto if you arm is injured, being held, pinned, etc. Also, those few seconds may be important.

+1

However, I will say that I prefer to have a safety of some sort (beyond your finger off the trigger.) For EDC, I prefer my XDS because of the grip safety over my G30s.

Agree, my preferred carry weapon is my XD-9 subcompact.

* I respect others enough that if they don't want me carrying, and post a sign to let me know, I don't carry on their property. It's common courtesy.

* I keep an empty casing in the chamber. I honestly don't think I'll ever really need to defend myself with a gun. It's just that I'd rather have one than not have one. And if a situation should arise where I need my gun I'm certainly not going to be Quickdraw McGraw. I think the element of surprise would catch me and it would take a few seconds to assess the situation anyway. An extra second to put a round in the chamber likely isn't going to make a difference one way or the other - and the safety factor is worth the tradeoff to me.

Bad guys could care less about a sign!
And I also don't get a empty casing in the chamber thing. Wtf

Exactly. When you are not carrying with a round in the chamber you are essentially carrying an unloaded gun. Would you carry a revolver with an empty cylinder? What if you are unable to rack the slide of a semi auto if you arm is injured, being held, pinned, etc. Also, those few seconds may be important.

Almost... but it's a trade-off. Not carrying at all reduces the chances your gun will go off. Not having one in the chamber means you have less time to react, but you still have more options than not carrying at all.

Not having one in the chamber means you have less time to react, but you still have more options than not carrying at all.

Yes, again, if you are able to physically use those options, and have the luxury of time.

Why the empty casing?

Seems like added chance of the brass jamming with no benefit I can think of.

Plus no way to determine if the gun is "hot".

What am I missing?

Could be the difference between life and death.

There's a benefit, but I'll keep that to myself. And I've never had a jam on ejection, ever. I always treat the gun as hot. There's a good guy who works at the nearby O'Reilley Auto Parts who is missing his middle finger. Happened a few months ago. He was sure the chamber was empty. It's amazing how many people finger their handguns. Fidgeting, I guess. He's quick to say that he was always super careful and laughed when other idiots did things like that. Just one of the reasons I've never done things like that.

As for the "every second counts" people, to each his own. I certainly hold no grudges against them for their preferences. I just think that I'm more likely to die by 1,000,001 other means than not being able to shoot someone one second faster. And like I said, in my mind there's a safety benefit of not having a live one in the chamber. That's just the way I was taught from age 6 and have always stuck with it. It works for me.

Last edited:
You've still not explained what the spent cartridge does over leaving the round unchambered.

You've still not explained what the spent cartridge does over leaving the round unchambered.

It makes the perp think you are empty, and then he gets to yell,
"Psych!"
Blam
Blam
Blam
Blam
Blam
Click
"Oh, **** he's still coming at me, wish i had one more live round in it"

Yes, again, if you are able to physically use those options, and have the luxury of time.

What's the risk of not having that "luxury" vs the hazard of always having a chambered round?

Me, I'll take the risk of not having a round in the chamber. But then again, I also will take the risk of using frangible ammo rather than going for maximum stopping power.

Note that I'm not telling anyone else what to do (and I'm not saying you are either).

There's a benefit, but I'll keep that to myself. And I've never had a jam on ejection, ever. I always treat the gun as hot. There's a good guy who works at the nearby O'Reilley Auto Parts who is missing his middle finger. Happened a few months ago. He was sure the chamber was empty. It's amazing how many people finger their handguns. Fidgeting, I guess. He's quick to say that he was always super careful and laughed when other idiots did things like that. Just one of the reasons I've never done things like that.

As for the "every second counts" people, to each his own. I certainly hold no grudges against them for their preferences. I just think that I'm more likely to die by 1,000,001 other means than not being able to shoot someone one second faster. And like I said, in my mind there's a safety benefit of not having a live one in the chamber. That's just the way I was taught from age 6 and have always stuck with it. It works for me.

I'm reminded of an early scene in "Point of No Return" when Maggie grabs the gun and click (she gets lesson number one)

+1

However, I will say that I prefer to have a safety of some sort (beyond your finger off the trigger.)

Another aside...

Ruger offers the LC9s in both a standard and pro model. The pro model has no safety lever or magazine safety.

Not a big fan of magazine safeties, but I would almost certainly choose the standard model for the safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhardt
There's a benefit, but I'll keep that to myself.

Gee, thanks. :nonod:

Come on, spill the beans.

There used to be fears of firing pins "crystallizing" and becoming brittle after repeated dry firings.

I believe modern metallurgy has laid that one to rest.

I do have a semi-auto shotgun that the manual warns against dry firing.

I'm pretty sure I know what the SHTF stands for but when you tack ACE onto the end of it and you read it quickly it looks like ****FACE.

Yeah, I got a holster, ****face!

There used to be fears of firing pins "crystallizing" and becoming brittle after repeated dry firings.

I believe modern metallurgy has laid that one to rest.

This is the most objective and factual coverage of the topic I've seen.

Back