Will instructors allow their students to choose their flight examiners?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
When getting signed off for a checkride, can a pilot choose who they go to for the oral/checkride (whether it be for private, instrument, or commercial etc.), or must it be the examiner of the instructor's choosing?

A nearby airport recently purchased a C150 for rent that is equipped with GPS, so this is possibly the aircraft in which I'll do my instrument training. However, some FBOs don't allow flight instruction unless it's from one of their instructors. I'm fine with one of their instructors training me, but there's a DPE in the area that is infamous for extremely long, arduous checkrides and also for yelling at the examinee during flight. So if they plan on sending me to him, do I have the right to ask for another DPE?

It's your money, allow doesn't have anything to do with it, once you're signed off in your log and IACRA, you could take your ride with anyone you want.

You absolutely have the right to pick the examiner you want to fly with. That said, the CFI also has the right to refuse to recommend you. It really needs to be a cooperative choice between you and your CFI.

We generally have a few we use for check rides but that doesn't mean you have to use them. We encrourage it because we have a relationship with the DPE and we know what he's/she's like.

The CFI should not be dictating who you take the checkride with; you're either ready or your not. They make suggest or highly recommend one DPE or another, but as was said, it's your money and your choice.

can a pilot choose who they go to for the oral/checkride

Of course. You hire them all and pay them all yourself. The school, the CFI and the DPE. But usually your school/CFI will prepare you to take your ride with a DPE they know to decrease surprises. It is still up to you to go with their guy or anyone else you like.

The CFI should not be dictating who you take the checkride with; you're either ready or your not. They make suggest or highly recommend one DPE or another, but as was said, it's your money and your choice.

I agree the CFI shouldn't "dictate" who the student rides with, but as a CFI I'm going to really hesitate to send someone to a DPE I do not know. It's a team effort, both CFI and student have skin in the game (though one more than the other). It really needs to be a discussion and a mutual decision.

Contrary view: Take the ride with the hard ass. When he punches a hole in your PPL you'll know you've earned it and you were well prepared.

I agree the CFI shouldn't "dictate" who the student rides with, but as a CFI I'm going to really hesitate to send someone to a DPE I do not know. It's a team effort, both CFI and student have skin in the game (though one more than the other). It really needs to be a discussion and a mutual decision.
Agreed. My point is the endorsement isn't provisional to a specific examiner. Your point on it being a mutual decision is excellent; the CFI is generally in a better position to make a DPE recommendation.

No, a CFI nor an FBO/flight school does not has that right. No one but the student does. A CFI can recommend a DPE though usually because they already have a history with a particular DPE. An FBO/flight school can stipulate a DPE also but again, you don't have to use that individual.

From my experience, they will have a preferred DPE that they use, but as far as I know there is know requirement to go with who they prefer...

When getting signed off for a checkride, can a pilot choose who they go to for the oral/checkride (whether it be for private, instrument, or commercial etc.), or must it be the examiner of the instructor's choosing?

A nearby airport recently purchased a C150 for rent that is equipped with GPS, so this is possibly the aircraft in which I'll do my instrument training. However, some FBOs don't allow flight instruction unless it's from one of their instructors. I'm fine with one of their instructors training me, but there's a DPE in the area that is infamous for extremely long, arduous checkrides and also for yelling at the examinee during flight. So if they plan on sending me to him, do I have the right to ask for another DPE?

Yes, you can choose your own. If I understand correctly, you are talking about your future instrument ride. So, FWIW, it sounds like your situation is similar to mine was. I switched flight schools for my instrument. Chose my own DPE, someone my flight school had never used.

1st, you may go to any DPE your heart desires. You can also save your self several hundred dollars if you can convince the local FSDO in doing your test.

The most important questions or issue isn't the student doing the check-ride with who they want. The CFI's don't get anything from the DPEs, but they do all want their students to pass. Certain DPE's are well versed in how a particular CFI trains his students, and generally what to expect when one of them comes for their ride. For that reason, CFIs often have DPEs they regularly use...I'm no exception. I had one student that really wanted a particular DPE. I tried to discourage it, because I knew this guy and basically what the outcome would likely be. The DPE didn't even give him a check-ride...they weren't up 10-15 minutes. The guy was dis-satisfied with something (that he couldn't even articulate when they returned). The he issued a notice of disapproval saying he had to repeat "the entire flight portion of the test." This despite the fact that the student was not given any opportunity to complete the flight portion, which is completely irregular. In any case, we re-schedule with one of the examiners I usually use and he sailed through the check-ride. This is a long way of saying that, if you want to get your certificate/rating, and you have a good opinion of your CFI, then you may be well-advised to heed his/her advice on which DPE to use. You won't save any money if you have to pay for a re-test.

The most important questions or issue isn't the student doing the check-ride with who they want. The CFI's don't get anything from the DPEs, but they do all want their students to pass. Certain DPE's are well versed in how a particular CFI trains his students, and generally what to expect when one of them comes for their ride. For that reason, CFIs often have DPEs they regularly use...I'm no exception. I had one student that really wanted a particular DPE. I tried to discourage it, because I knew this guy and basically what the outcome would likely be. The DPE didn't even give him a check-ride...they weren't up 10-15 minutes. The guy was dis-satisfied with something (that he couldn't even articulate when they returned). The he issued a notice of disapproval saying he had to repeat "the entire flight portion of the test." This despite the fact that the student was not given any opportunity to complete the flight portion, which is completely irregular. In any case, we re-schedule with one of the examiners I usually use and he sailed through the check-ride. This is a long way of saying that, if you want to get your certificate/rating, and you have a good opinion of your CFI, then you may be well-advised to heed his/her advice on which DPE to use. You won't save any money if you have to pay for a re-test.

A good point. If you don't trust your CFI to steer you correctly with respect to the DPE, you probably need to find another CFI.

I have my normal DPE I send guys too. If the student wants to use another I don't have an issue with it. Keeps me from having to pick up the phone! :D

The most important questions or issue isn't the student doing the check-ride with who they want. The CFI's don't get anything from the DPEs, but they do all want their students to pass. Certain DPE's are well versed in how a particular CFI trains his students, and generally what to expect when one of them comes for their ride.
"How a particular CFI trains his students" shouldn't matter...that's why we have the PTS/ACS.
I had one student that really wanted a particular DPE. I tried to discourage it, because I knew this guy and basically what the outcome would likely be.
Yes, there are examiners to avoid...but again, the PTS/ACS and adherence thereto should be the determining factor.

CFI's chime in please, but I have heard that possibly down the road candidates for a checkride will be randomly assigned a DPE from the area and no longer allowed to pick.

CFI's chime in please, but I have heard that possibly down the road candidates for a checkride will be randomly assigned a DPE from the area and no longer allowed to pick.

Haven't heard rumblings of that here.

It's always been an assignment by the FSDO for initial CFI rides when they can't do them around here, though. That hasn't changed. Nothing new there.

Back