Why am I nervous on airlines

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
I don't get it. The take offs and landings on airlines makes me nervous. Put me in control on a small GA airplane and I not nervous at all unless it's really bumpy. Is it because I'm not in control of the airplane? Do us pilots really have being in control issues? Anyone else have this flying on airlines nervousness?

I don't like flying on airliners either. Probably because I am not in control. It may be some crackhead up there driving!

I get uneasy because I'm shoved in the back with barely a window and no idea what's going on and no say in the outcome. I can't handle roller coasters or being in the passenger seat of a car while someone is doing some "spirited" driving for the same reason. I'm really uncomfortable with other people being in control of my fate.

Put me behind the controls/steering wheel and I'm totally cool with things.

I'm fine on airlines. Their safety record is far better than GA and I'm more likely to be in a car accident than an airline accident. Most I'd get out of an airline is a hard landing. No fun in that.

I don't like take off on an airline. Makes me nervous

I get uneasy because I'm shoved in the back with barely a window and no idea what's going on and no say in the outcome. I can't handle roller coasters or being in the passenger seat of a car while someone is doing some "spirited" driving for the same reason. I'm really uncomfortable with other people being in control of my fate.

Put me behind the controls/steering wheel and I'm totally cool with things.

I'm with you, but the irony is that most of the things we control are statistically more dangerous than public transportation.

You will be traveling hundreds of miles an hour, tens of thousands of feet from the ground, in a pressurized tube, with a landing speed (and energy) so high that in the unlikely event you survive an on-airport crash, the resulting chaos in a packed cabin makes it a near certainty the smoke and/or flames will kill you as you lay trapped and crippled, screaming in agony. . .a lot like riding the subway in DC, except you get peanuts.

I'm fine on airlines. Their safety record is far better than GA and I'm more likely to be in a car accident than an airline accident. Most I'd get out of an airline is a hard landing. No fun in that.
Exactly right... Let the statistics speak.

You will be traveling hundreds of miles an hour, tens of thousands of feet from the ground, in a pressurized tube, with a landing speed (and energy) so high that in the unlikely event you survive an on-airport crash, the resulting chaos in a packed cabin makes it a near certainty the smoke and/or flames will kill you as you lay trapped and crippled, screaming in agony. . .a lot like riding the subway in DC, except you get peanuts.

It's so nice that you always look at the sunny side of things. :D

The reason I don't like flying on airlines has nothing to do with not being in control or worrying about the recreational drug use of those up front. I just do not like the whole experience of the TSA idiots and then being stuck in a tight, dirty cabin with the typical passenger these days and the reduced service from the stews. Airline flying sucks for many reasons.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as being nervous, but I've never really liked airline flying because I can't freaking see out of that tiny window. I want to see the direction in which I'm going. I love takeoff though; definitely my favorite, even to this day. Shortly thereafter, I'll fall asleep and inevitably catch myself with my jaw wide open, drooling.

Never bothered me. Until I became a pilot and then I did not like not being able to see out the front. After awhile I got over that.

Only time I'm anxious is when we're landing and the airliner levels off with engines to idle but instead of feeling the wheels touch there is that awful extra two seconds of nothing and then you know they are not using autoland and leveled off/flared too high... then it comes down hard enough to hurt my bad back. Blam! And everyone in the back says "Oooh!" But nobody says anything to the smiling FO as you get off.

Ive just seen too much, found too many faults missed by others... wishing I'd kept a log and photographs, I'd write a best seller titled "A Justifiable Fear Of Flying".

A friend of mine is like that, total control freak. He has to be in charge all the time. Former cop of 30 years.

Admitted control freak here......completely calm if I'm flying.......and I'm strictly a fair weather flier when the birds are singing and the butterflies are out. The reason we get a little apprehensive when the pros are flying is they get no such luxury of picking the conditions, if its crap outside and looks like Armegeddon they're going anyway........apples and oranges type of thing.......

I admit that I do get a little freaked on commercials, since I just know that we're about to stall on every takeoff. Then again on landings before I see that we are actually over the runway. I would try to blame it on terrorism, but I know it's just my paranoia.

Admitted control freak here......completely calm if I'm flying.......and I'm strictly a fair weather flier when the birds are singing and the butterflies are out. The reason we get a little apprehensive when the pros are flying is they get no such luxury of picking the conditions, if its crap outside and looks like Armegeddon they're going anyway........apples and oranges type of thing.......

Cruiser, you suffer from Analysis Paralysis (I saw that in a recent article on weather briefings). I admit to being much the same. In fact, as of today I am the founding member of the Society Of Analytics Paralytics, or SOAP. Our motto is "...because it is slippery when wet."

I love flying on airlines,especially when they go full power at takeoff and you are pushed back slightly into your seat !!! Have done many many trans Atlantic flights, usually 10 hrs + and dont think twice about whats going on.

You could be killed crossing the road, does not mean you stop crossing the road

I don't get it. The take offs and landings on airlines makes me nervous. Put me in control on a small GA airplane and I not nervous at all unless it's really bumpy. Is it because I'm not in control of the airplane? Do us pilots really have being in control issues? Anyone else have this flying on airlines nervousness?
Yeah, I remember the first time flying into KSFO, the long final approach to one of the 28s over the Bay, seeing the water below and unable to either judge our height above the water or to see out front to judge if we were on glide path. It just felt very strange and I remember thinking, what if we don't make it to the runway? Until this thread I thought that might be just me, as it was only the 4th or 5th time in my life flying commercial. I had, and still have, many many more hours flying GA (including as PIC) than commercial.

From what I see at GA airports every weekend, I'd be more nervous about flying with 75% of the little airplane pilots.

Doesn't bother me. I'm sometimes asleep before takeoff.

Yup, if I'm tired, I'm asleep once the wheels are off the ground. If not, I'm probably watching movies or listening to tunes. Totally relaxed.

I never really thought about it until I started seeing a few GA pilots that I knew becoming airline pilots. "When I think... he's flying a plane full of people." I tend to cringe and make the sign of the cross. :eek: (I know some good safe ones, like my last CFI who I would fly with any day, but then there are some others who I would hope that the other pilot is paying attention and ready to jump in and save us. Although with airliners, it would seem a lot harder to save one than a small Piper or Cessna if it goes bad just due to sheer weight.)

And also now as a pilot, I tend to look for anything going wrong (sounds, movements, etc). And waiting for the announcement "Is there a pilot on board?"... so I can sprint towards the cockpit and save the day.:p:p:p

Airliners are a lot more nimble than they appear, but they aren't a Pitts by any means.
With an airline, there is standardized training and never ending recurrency events. (to the point of being a real pain in the ass!)

flying into KSFO, the long final approach to one of the 28s over the Bay, seeing the water below and unable to either judge our height above the water or to see out front to judge if we were on glide path. It just felt very strange and I remember thinking, what if we don't make it to the runway?
Or flying past buildings at KSAN that are higher than you are.

I remember years ago flying into Paris on a 777 before I became a pilot. I was watching the airspeed and altitude readout on the in-seat TV.

The engines went to idle and it showed us down to like 120 knots. I kept thinking we were about to stall. In retrospect, I'd guess that what I was actually seeing was a GS readout or it simply wasn't correct.

Nowadays, nothing scares me really. I don't like turbulence because it sucks and is annoying, not because I'm fearful of it.

When you think about it, takeoff on a jetliner is pretty violent. Loud, shaking, g-forces push you back, and the climb out is pretty steep. I'm surprised more regular people aren't scared of flying.

I remember years ago flying into Paris on a 777 before I became a pilot. I was watching the airspeed and altitude readout on the in-seat TV.

The engines went to idle and it showed us down to like 120 knots. I kept thinking we were about to stall. In retrospect, I'd guess that what I was actually seeing was a GS readout or it simply wasn't correct.

Nowadays, nothing scares me really. I don't like turbulence because it sucks and is annoying, not because I'm fearful of it.

When you think about it, takeoff on a jetliner is pretty violent. Loud, shaking, g-forces push you back, and the climb out is pretty steep. I'm surprised more regular people aren't scared of flying.

It seems to me looking around that most people think that an airliner "is just like my living room chair. I sit in a nice room and it ends up in Chicago, New York, Paris, wherever". It's both good and bad. Good in that most don't seem afraid of flying (seems like back in the sixties, seventies many more nervous folk on planes) but at the same time they take it TOO much for granted.

This has nothing to do with me learning to be a pilot, etc. I've always been bugged by folk not paying attention in situations that could cost lives. Flying is safe, BUT it still needs to be respected. You need to know where the primary, secondary and any other exits are, and which type of doors, how they open, etc. you need to put up the damned seat tray, and clear the aisles before TO or landing. I see folks all the time oblivious to this.

You don't expect an emergency, but you should have a plan in case. I personally think airlines (or the rules that make them do this) are making a mistake by starting their safety briefing by teaching everyone how a damned seat belt works. It gives people the impression that "this isn't serious".

One other thing I wondered. It was a long time ago flying from Norway to the US, in winter. I only knew of aviation through my father at that point who was a pilot, but I knew icing was very dangerous. The plane was de-iced by a de-icing "shower" but the plane was on hold, and missed its slot. The minutes became a half hour, fourty five minutes, etc. and I began to wonder how long the deicing fluid would be effective.
Which got me to wondering (I still don't know how long it is effective) what rights a passenger has actually. You have to trust the pilots, but say you knew conditions were ripe for wing icing, and that the time since deicing had gone too long....would you as a passenger be able to call the FA and request to leave the plane?

Anyone ever been in a situation you thought was not safe, on an airliner, and what did you do?

Decing is used to remove contaminants, like frost for instances. That may all that's needed and there is no effective time restraints to worry about. But if conditions require it anti icing is applied to the aircraft. There are 4 types (maybe more don't remember) and depending how a type is mixed, pilots have a chart that lists the effective time it's useful for different variables, ie light snow, heavy snow etc. If that time expires before the plane is able to take off, then the PIC is required to return for additional anti icing.

"Which got me to wondering (I still don't know how long it is effective) what rights a passenger has actually. You have to trust the pilots, but say you knew conditions were ripe for wing icing, and that the time since deicing had gone too long....would you as a passenger be able to call the FA and request to leave the plane?"

But how do you "know" it's been too long? Our device manuals contain over a dozen different holdover tables just for type IV fluid. Depending on the temperature and intensity of the precipitation, the holdover time could be in the 90-120 minute range. The type IV fluids are very good.

Back