Who's taking the ATP written in July??

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
I know I'm not the only crazy person going for it... who else is taking it and are you doing it 121 or 135? I haven't decided if I'm taking it before my CFII ride in the middle of the month or after. Also, how much time do you have now and do you actually anticipate making it to 1500TT in two years?

Honestly, unless you are already familiar with the 135 regs, the 121 test is easier. Sheppard Air, memorize the PDF file and you'll do fine.

I am... finishing my instrument in July but also taking the ATP written. (didn't know there are a difference on the 121/135 stuff, is one gonna be better over the other?)

About 550 hrs now and I should be able to make 1500 in 24 months hell that is my goal.

I agree with the Sheppard Air comment. just used it for the IFR, if its as good for ATP then I'll do just fine.

I'm taking in mid July. I already have my date set with our testing center.

I'm quitting the aircenter so I can fly more and study for ATP.

I'll be taking it. Currently studying, will take it sometime during July.

I'm a little over 1300 hours, so I should have no problem getting to 1500 in the next 24 months. Do need a few more multi though to meet the 50-hour requirement.

Take the Part 121, if you ever go for the airlines they'll want that vs a 135 will take both most likely. I'm not going to take it, but I did just take the ADX written test (which is essentially the Part 121 ATP) used Sheppard air and scored 95%. It took a week of semi-studying. Their method works insanely well.

My dad told me to take it. I'm only at 250 hours and working on my CFI. Its a HUGE stretch to get 1250 hours in 2 years

I'm quitting the aircenter so I can fly more and study for ATP.

They won't drop you to part time since its so slow? Like half of our people are on vacation right now.

I'm taking the 135 test because I'm pretty familiar with 135 regs. My mom was the chief pilot of a 135 op so I've been quite exposed to those regs. I've got about 400 hours and trying to fly about 10 hours a week. Had a couple long trips already this moment hand a few more next month plus some instructing. I think I can do it. This January will be my month of little flying so I gotta make up for it now.

Take the Part 121, if you ever go for the airlines they'll want that vs a 135 will take both most likely. I'm not going to take it, but I did just take the ADX written test (which is essentially the Part 121 ATP) used Sheppard air and scored 95%. It took a week of semi-studying. Their method works insanely well.

121 carrier isn't going to care, they aren't even going to know which test you took, unless you get your ATP with them. I think I spent 3 days with Sheppard Air, most of which was studying & memorizing the PDF file for the calculation problems.

I know I'm not the only crazy person going for it... who else is taking it and are you doing it 121 or 135? I haven't decided if I'm taking it before my CFII ride in the middle of the month or after. Also, how much time do you have now and do you actually anticipate making it to 1500TT in two years?

I'm going to. I got the Dauntless ATP test prep for iPad to help.

I'm over 1200 hours and flying about 150 hours/year, so I should get the TT just in time... However, I still need some of the multi time.

Honestly, unless you are already familiar with the 135 regs, the 121 test is easier.

How so? :dunno:

I've been studying for and planning on the 135 test. I don't plan to ever fly 121. Hell, I don't currently have plans to fly 135, but it's a lot more appealing to me than 121 and I can see it actually happening.

I only have 500 hours so it's unlikely I will get to 1500 within 2 years. At my current rate I'll probably only have about 1100 before the test would expire. I am still thinking about it though, might do it anyway just in case.

Last edited:

I've been studying for and planning on the 135 test. I don't plan to ever fly 121. Hell, I don't currently have plans to fly 135, but it's a lot more appealing to me than 121 and I can see it actually happening.

If a company wants an ATP they don't care if you took the 121 or 135 test, according to my ATP ticket it doesn't mention which one you took, and really no one cares.

You will learn all your specific 121 or 135 procedures and regs (as well as your company GOM and OPSPEC) in your indoc class, indoc and your airframe specific training is commonly known as the "drinking from the fire hose" stage ;)

I took the one day ATP written prep and test at ATP Inc, though you won't learn a thing doing it, you will get your written done with in one day.

I'm not wasting my time. I've got enough other stuff going on in my life that I don't forsee any way to make up the amount of hours needed to take the checkride. Hopefully someone will come up with an economical solution to the new regulations before I have a need to pursue the ATP rating.

If I understand things correctly you can take the atp written and then at 1500 take the SEL practical. Then when you get the multi time later you can do the add on the old fashioned way, as long as you got the SEL on the "old" written.

Not quite

You take your ATP written before the cutoff, after which you have 2 years to take your multi engine airplane ATP, there is no permanent way to hold your place in line, so to speak, by getting your single or rotor or whatever ATP.

I've been out of this loop for a long while, but why not just knock out the written once you get the job? Or do some places require the written to be completed before applying?

I've been out of this loop for a long while, but why not just knock out the written once you get yjob do some places require the written to be completed before applying?

If you do not take it prior to august 1st, then you won't be able to take it without very expensive sim sessions and other buffoonery.

If you do not take it prior to august 1st, then you won't be able to take it without very expensive sim sessions and other buffoonery.

Oh wow - I had no idea. :(

I'm at the ATP facility in Jacksonville to get my multi add-on, and they are packed with people trying to get the ATP written out of the way. If you look at the schedule board, I'm one of the few people here not for the ATP.

I'm planning to. I'm at 800 hours and should hopefully make 1500 in 24 months.

Even if you guys don't make the 1500 in two years, I can't imagine it being a problem in the long run.

Minus you now not holding an ATP license.

And now requiring a considerable amount of training and $$ to get your ATP, and having zero chance to act as a 121 Capt or FO without your ATP, there are also quite a few other higher end 135 & 91 jobs that require a ATP for insurance or contract reasons.

Now why would any company who needs a ATP hire a guy without his ATP, who they would have to spend all the time and money to make them an ATP, when there is another applicant who already holds his ATP.

Point being, if you are going to be a professional pilot and you do not have your ATP yet, get your arse in gear and get the written done right meow!

Do what ever you need to do to get your 1500 in two years (which is possible, even from 0 time), or take a back seat in the hiring processes of the future.

IIRC, there is fewer airplanes in the 121 material than the 135 material. Either way, Sheppard Air is the way to go. Back when I was doing the studying, I thought, why learn this stuff, I'll never use the 1900 performance data. How wrong was I.

Now why would any company who needs a ATP hire a guy without his ATP, who they would have to spend all the time and money to make them an ATP, when there is another applicant who already holds his ATP.

Because they have to spend the money to type you anyway, and rolling an ATP into that type is trivial.* I don't buy the pilot shortage BS, but I'd guess that demand at entry level jobs will soon make it such that anyone with ATP mins will have a pretty easy shot at the regionals, or that crappy corporate/135 stepping stone.

*unless the new regs have changed this too. But in my corporate days, you could commonly negotiate to have the ATP be worked into the type ride at little or no cost, and the training time is identical.

Because they have to spend the money to type you anyway, and rolling an ATP into that type is trivial.* I don't buy the pilot shortage BS, but I'd guess that demand at entry level jobs will soon make it such that anyone with ATP mins will have a pretty easy shot at the regionals, or that crappy corporate/135 stepping stone.

*unless the new regs have changed this too. But in my corporate days, you could commonly negotiate to have the ATP be worked into the type ride at little or no cost, and the training time is identical.

To even take the ATP written, you have to go through a course, similar to a 121/135 new hire class. For those carriers, not a problem, but for a 91 operator, it might add significant cost.

To even take the ATP written, you have to go through a course, similar to a 121/135 new hire class. For those carriers, not a problem, but for a 91 operator, it might add significant cost.

Ah - I didn't think of that. It's crazy all the changes - best of luck to everyone trying to steer their way through it all.

Ah - I didn't think of that. It's crazy all the changes - best of luck to everyone trying to steer their way through it all.

All because a guy that had no business flying an airliner ended up in the left seat of a Q400.

I've been thinking about it, but not too seriously... Is it really only a few days of studying with Sheppard? My thoughts on it were that for my 135 we don't need an ATP for captain. But if doing the written now cuts out a whole lot of crap down the road, then perhaps I should; I just thought that only a month or two of prep wouldn't be enough...

BTW SheppardAir uses the 121 path for a very simple reason. The database of 121 questions is smaller than that for the 135 test. Fewer answers to learn.
And like most have said, it makes no difference which one you take...only that you pass.

Not all airlines have the C or D sim and other facilities for that, yeah the big boys do but some of the smaller (and sometimes better) 121 companies don't.

Also if I were a HR person why should I hire a 2,000hr CPL over a 2,000hr ATP?

Many 135 and 91 operators only hire ATPs due to their insurance or customer contracts.

It's your choice but don't joke yourself, not having your ATP after that date WILL hurt your chances of getting a job, or at least a good job.

I've had non-solicited offers made to me, I know that some of them wouldn't have been made if I only held a CPL.

As an ATP, in my own selfish way, I hope people DONT get their written done, makes me more valuable ;)

I'm so glad I already have my ATP. :yes:

I have no desire to die in an airplane as boring as a tricycle gear single engine Cessna.

I'm thinking about it. My two questions are: 1) Do I have time to properly study; and 2) Can I afford to fly another 600-some hours in the next two years to reach 1500 (might be time to get that glider rating)?

I've been thinking about it, but not too seriously... Is it really only a few days of studying with Sheppard? My thoughts on it were that for my 135 we don't need an ATP for captain. But if doing the written now cuts out a whole lot of crap down the road, then perhaps I should; I just thought that only a month or two of prep wouldn't be enough...

If you have any desire to ever fly 121, you might as well do it. A few days with Sheppard Air is probably overkill. I'd venture to guess a couple of hours would get you a passing score.

If you have any desire to ever fly 121, you might as well do it. A few days with Sheppard Air is probably overkill. I'd venture to guess a couple of hours would get you a passing score.
I actually signed up not 20 minutes ago and it's downloading now. I also just got the test scheduled for the 18th. No plans on 121 for now, but my current 135 does have a Navajo that needs ATP, as well as when we expand to multi-turbos.

While I'm sure I'll still take the test within 24 months, what's this I heard about it lasting indefinitely if you are currently with at 135/121?

Just get it done. You never know if you'll need it in the future. Aviation jobs come and go and it is really impossible to predict the future, so you might as well keep building your resume just in case. For my CFII written last year I spent 2 hours with Sheppard Air and scored a 95. I'm currently most of the way through the ATP bank after only a token amount of time spent on it. Just be sure to follow the Sheppard air study strategy otherwise it won't really work out as advertised.

I'm thinking about it. My two questions are: 1) Do I have time to properly study; and 2) Can I afford to fly another 600-some hours in the next two years to reach 1500 (might be time to get that glider rating)?

Keep in mind, if you don't fly for a living and would only want an ATP just to have it, you can still get an ATP-SE without having to go through the new CTP after 8-1. A new written is being created for the ATP-SE.

Last edited:
Back