Which would you choose? Support your answer

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I think the Tiger is generally the better all-around choice due to the extra 20 hp. Not so much for speed, but for climb performance.

I've owned both a Traveler and a Tiger over the years, BTW.

Who knows.
Not enough information

What's the mission?

If you're flying IMC it's the cheetah all day long, GNS /G nuf said.

If you're loading weight and mostly flying IFR, tiger, nice to have that extra power.

The tiger also had a bit more time on the engine and less panel, I'd think the cheetah is a better deal based on the ASKING prices, but if you need that extra 20hp cuz you need to haul some weight, well that answers that.

Last edited:
The AA5B is weak on radios. That Garmin 250XL is essentially a boat anchor when it dies, Garmin doesn't repair them anymore.

I had one that would randomly reboot all by itself.

Engine is much higher time.

I'd have to buy the Cheetah and hope for cheaper full featured autopilots to come in the future.

Last edited:
Cheetah seller is claiming 125 kts. and 850# UL
If that is true, I think it is a good choice. I am not sure I believe 125kts.

Mission is burning holes in the sky on nice days, $100 hamburger runs.
And it looks like @write-stuff has convinced me to start IR training.

I should add, I am looking to buy a plane that I will likely have for 3-4 years and then will upgrade to something much more beefy.

Go for the horsepower. You are primarily VFR anyway and it is easier to upgrade a panel later than upgrade an engine later.

Tough call. On resale, lower smoh is gonna be a key player. If this is a training bird, you don't need HP. You need IFR equipment.

And if you plan on selling, a warrior or Cherokee 160 will be much easier to sell. Have you run the cost of ownership numbers vs renting yet? I know you also have some clubs you could get in on for that IFR.

I'd shy away from buying or just buy the bird you really want and train in it to keep. That makes so much more sense to me over the buy sell buy concept. You could get away with that with a C150 for sure. Beyond that, you will probably end up loosing money somewhere.

What is your real aircraft desire?

Mostly VFR, short runs, training, 3-4 years, go with the Cheetah. It should serve you well, you won't have to spend money on a panel upgrade.

The Tiger looks like more of a project plane, more for someone who wants to spend some money each year upgrading and improving it with the intention of keeping it much longer.

Friend of mine did the same; his Cheetah was a great first airplane, and he stepped up to a Mooney after about 3 years.

Last edited:

I'd take the Cheetah over the Tiger. 125 kts should be accurate. I got about 118 with just main wheel pants on my Traveler. With full wheel pants & leg fairings and redesigned cowl, you should approach 125. Without any pants & fairings, that Tiger isn't going to get book speed either. He might edge out that Cheetah. Good luck getting a nose wheel pant for it also. I had to go thru Fletchair and they rounded up the last nose pant they had.

Pant job and interior is way nicer than the Tiger also. Just don't do any high altitude airports around gross and you'll be fine.

Tough call. On resale, lower smoh is gonna be a key player. If this is a training bird, you don't need HP. You need IFR equipment.

And if you plan on selling, a warrior or Cherokee 160 will be much easier to sell. Have you run the cost of ownership numbers vs renting yet? I know you also have some clubs you could get in on for that IFR.

I'd shy away from buying or just buy the bird you really want and train in it to keep. That makes so much more sense to me over the buy sell buy concept. You could get away with that with a C150 for sure. Beyond that, you will probably end up loosing money somewhere.

What is your real aircraft desire?

I fully plan on loosing money LOL. Its just sitting there in the bank losing value. I'd rather have it in a hangar losing value.

I just want my own plane. I am not buying for the purpose of IFR that is a coincidence. I could do the IFR in the cirrus.
It is not for any purpose other than I want one. I figure Dad will give up flying in the next 3-4 years and I can't afford to take over the Cirrus so at that point, I will sell whatever I own and get something along the lines of a 182 (mission-wise anyway. That wing on top nonsense ain't for me).

Tiger. Easy choice. Don't forget it gets HOT where you fly the most.

You can train your IFR, have fun, a little more HP, and not be a child of the blue line for a while. You'll still have the Cirrus for that!

Not knowing a lot about that particular airframe I'd say go for more power. You can always update avionics if need be, especially if the price can be negotiated down a bit.

My old Cheetah had the Bill Scott high-compression STC and stock gear fairings and cabin steps. It would get 120-122 KTAS at 7.6 gph at 10,000'. It looks like the Cheetah in the ad has had the cabin steps removed, so that's probably good for a couple of knots.

The ad is unclear whether it has the HC STC. If the panel picture were sharper, you might be able to tell from the markings on the tach. Unmodified Cheetahs have redline at 2700 rpm; the HC STC changes it to 2650.

My Cheetah had a useful load of 801 pounds. Not sure why the 45 pound difference from the one in the ad.

Go for the horsepower. You are primarily VFR anyway and it is easier to upgrade a panel later than upgrade an engine later.

Easier to upgrade a panel for IFR ops lolz

I fully plan on loosing money LOL. Its just sitting there in the bank losing value. I'd rather have it in a hangar losing value.

I just want my own plane. I am not buying for the purpose of IFR that is a coincidence. I could do the IFR in the cirrus.
It is not for any purpose other than I want one. I figure Dad will give up flying in the next 3-4 years and I can't afford to take over the Cirrus so at that point, I will sell whatever I own and get something along the lines of a 182 (mission-wise anyway. That wing on top nonsense ain't for me).

If you want to fly the Lance, let me know. Its a lot of plane. But sometimes a lot is what you need. But, I don't toddle around like I did in the Archer. I could pull it back to 7 gallons/hr and just piddle around. Now I'm looking at 14/hr at 55% power to toddle around.

But when we load up for a trip, it will swallow and hold all of it with some to spare. Most of the time I wish I had my Archer back though. What about a tail dragger like an RV? fast, nimble, cheape rot work on. For a baller on a budget, I dont think you could go wrong.

Based on your OP, my first reaction was the Tiger. Cheaper buy-in and then over time upgrade avionics and interior to suit your mission and taste.

But given your subsequent comments, recommend the Cheetah. Probably easier to sell in a couple of years with those avionics and better interior. A little cheaper to operate, and better IFR bird.

Neither will carry the four of you once those kids hit puberty, but sounds like you've figured that out already.

I hadn't looked at the photos before, just went off the description and main photo, but after looking at the interior photos and other ones, cheetah hands down, it's looks very well kept, vs the tiger and with the dirty saggy interior and whatever that screen is in it, plus a near runout engine, just looks like a shade tree special.

dafargin cheetah, yo.

that's solely based on the information provided and oh by the way they aint bo's and I hate grummans and def buy yer wife something nice preferably monkey related. because chicks dig monkeys. and sometimes cheetahs.

I figure Dad will give up flying in the next 3-4 years and I can't afford to take over the Cirrus so at that point

I know a potential solution for that once that bridge appears. A few if us in the nearby hangar row have always enjoyed/lusted after 25MV.

There is nothing more frustrating and distracting in flight than avionics that don't work correctly.

I know a potential solution for that once that bridge appears. A few if us in the nearby hangar row have always enjoyed/lusted after 25MV.

Engine is going on 1400 hours. Something to consider. But the chute repack is complete so one bit of spending that would be off into the future.

Engine is going on 1400 hours. Something to consider. But the chute repack is complete so one bit of spending that would be off into the future.

Just keep me on the list of potentials once that bridge comes into being.

dafargin cheetah, yo.

because chicks dig monkeys. and sometimes cheetahs.

I'm like a Cheetah.... a one min sprint to the prize and then the rest of the day recovering.

Hmm rather that opine about airplane specifics, I went outside the Class Bravo and decided based on which one was a better cartoon character.

Chester
Chester-Cheetah+Cartoon+Pictures+(2).jpg

Or Tony
Tony+the+Tiger.jpg

I pick Chester. He's got a cool, hang out with strippers vibe... I think the Monkey would choose Chester, so that's all that matters.

Sliding canopies are niiiiiiice for taxiing on hot days, and pretty good for ingress/egress, provided you're limber enough to get over the high-ish fuselage side.

The Cheetah. Bettter avionics, interior and exterior.

However given your past plane-looking history, I'm sure the wing will fall off as you arrive at the airport

I am in the market for a Cheetah and looked at a Cheetah recently with all the speed mods. 160 hp, power flow exhaust, etc. The very best speed we could do was 113 knots. 125 knots would be very good but quite frankly I would need to see to believe it. That being said the Cheetahs are a great time builder and an affordable alternative to the Cessna 172 or Piper 140. Hope to own one soon. I choose the Cheetah. Better for time builder pilots like me.

I'm with the Cheetah camp. I like the idea of a plane that's nice right out of the gate, and personally don't have a mission that would benefit greatly from the extra horses.

Sliding canopies are niiiiiiice for taxiing on hot days, and pretty good for ingress/egress, provided you're limber enough to get over the high-ish fuselage side.

Except if it's pouring down rain!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the canopies, but this is a downside on occasion.

Another upside? Loading bikes into the back with the rear seats folded down. Really quite versatile.

The speeds as they sit now wouldn't be that much different. The tiger needs a lot of work, your loosing 5 knts with no wheel pants. The Cheetah has power flow exhaust adds 10 hp. No telling whats under those cheap seat covers on the Tiger and the engine and air frame are higher time.
The only plus on the Tiger is the AP.

I would of course vote for the Tiger as i love mine. But the cheetah seems to be a better deal assuming no hidden issues with the avionics.

what's the target upgrade airplane from this supposed purchase? Maybe you're closer to the upgrade than you think and could forego this step.

what's the target upgrade airplane from this supposed purchase? Maybe you're closer to the upgrade than you think and could forego this step.

Not at this point.

Honestly, I LOVE flying the Cirrus. (I think I have made it beyond clear that I am humbled, blessed, lucky, etc that I have that option and also that it wasn't my doing)

I want my own plane that I can afford while still contributing to the 22.

I share maintenance and hangar costs on the Cirrus but have no money towards the title. Dad bought that plane outright and really doesn't want my help but I drive up to the FBO and write checks for stuff (oil changes, hangar, Annual, etc) If you are a dad, you get it but as a 40 yr old, it is stupid that I would expect to not contribute to the plane.

That said, I can continue to put my same contribution toward the Cirrus, and buy a ~$40k plane outright and fly both for a few years.

When he is done flying, and sells it, I want to sell my plane and use that money + my SR22 contribution to put toward something in the 182 category. Maybe it will be a 182. I am a low wing guy but who knows.

My thinking is I am going to have this ~40k plane for a few years and then upgrade to something in the 100k range when I need a 1 plane option.

That's the plan in a nutshell.

I just got off the phone with the Tiger seller and it is not going to work.

There was a prop strike, the A/P doesn't work, "We can't find all of the wheel pants" and the list goes on.

Anyway, I am going after that cheetah.

He sent me a lot more photos. Here is my favorite.

Screenshot_20170107-195241.jpg

Last edited:
Its always difficult to tell for certain from photos, but if the present owner is proud of the plane that will be reflected in how it was cared for. You won't regret owning a Cheetah if it's a good one to start.

Former Flying magazine columnist Lane Wallace owns a Cheetah and she's flown it all over the country.

Good luck!

I'd take the bonanza

Wait was that not option?

Sorry I didn't see someone say get a bonanza yet so I figured I'd fill the void in the inevitable

That is all for now

Not at this point.

Honestly, I LOVE flying the Cirrus. (I think I have made it beyond clear that I am humbled, blessed, lucky, etc that I have that option and also that it wasn't my doing)

I want my own plane that I can afford while still contributing to the 22.

I share maintenance and hangar costs on the Cirrus but have no money towards the title. Dad bought that plane outright and really doesn't want my help but I drive up to the FBO and write checks for stuff (oil changes, hangar, Annual, etc) If you are a dad, you get it but as a 40 yr old, it is stupid that I would expect to not contribute to the plane. I know there is at least 1 person on this forum that has seen me have the conversation where I say "Only bill half to has card, here is a check for my half") I am not going to be the Kato Kaelin of pilots.

That said, I can continue to put my same contribution toward the Cirrus, and buy a ~$40k plane outright and fly both for a few years.

When he is done flying, and sells it, I want to sell my plane and use that money + my SR22 contribution to put toward something in the 182 category. Maybe it will be a 182. I am a low wing guy but who knows.

My thinking is I am going to have this ~40k plane for a few years and then upgrade to something in the 100k range when I need a 1 plane option.

That's the plan in a nutshell.

I just got off the phone with the Tiger seller and it is not going to work.

There was a prop strike, the A/P doesn't work, "We can't find all of the wheel pants" and the list goes on.

Anyway, I am going after that cheetah.

He sent me a lot more photos. Here is my favorite.

View attachment 50455

Yeah, between the times, that saggy head liner, the seat covers, the panel, etc, that thing looks like it's been riden hard and put away wet.

I didn't know about the 100K price point. You don't need 100k to buy a 182 mission airplane. Just sayin'.....

Back