Which would you choose? Support your answer

Would seem the canopy solar exposure of the RVs is far worse. The Grumman is not transparent on the top of the canopy, and the wrap over the top of the side windows on the canopy doesn't seem any worse than any number of other more conventional entry airplanes, like a Bo.

Does the canopy of a Grumman have to be either full open or fully closed, or can it be taxied with it cracked open only?

Like Eddie said, on the ground anywhere from fully opened to closed. In the air there's a red arrow but I forget how far back. I believe mine had a 130 mph speed limit with it open as well. I never flew it above 60-70 kts with it open. Loud.

To the OP-

Don't buy either the Cheetah or the Tiger. You like Grummans and that's great. Let's face it. The Tiger is the best Grumman without question. If you buy a lesser Grumman you will always wish you had the Tiger no matter how nice your radios are.

Raise the budget, be patient and buy a really, really nice Tiger. Anything less than a Tiger is... well, less.

...I actually like grummans. Is that a bad thing?

Only if you make that fact publicly known on PoA. ;)
And you knew that going in :D
Toughest crowd west of the Mississippi. And east too!

Repent and pledge allegiance to the Bo now. That will limit the ongoing harassment to the Mooney contingent :rolleyes:

Also I just weighed the 4 of us and we have a combined weight of 440lbs.

I have NO clue how fast they will start packing on the weight. She is 8 and he is 9 so I expect the 850 UL will last awhile.

Yeah, you definitely have awhile. I forget that not everyone lives in a world where another fully growed person in the plane puts you over 400lbs, and has an offensive lineman for a son.

Also, when I replied to Unit 74's comment about mistakes, I wasn't implying this one was one. More of an overall comment. From a purely financial/carting the family around standpoint, our Cherokee was a terrible idea. But it was the plane my late father in law flew, and will be what my son gets his license in. So, mistake or not, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now I've just got to get my butt out there and fly it!

Ok, I had to get a little chuckle when I went to the Indy Air site and saw this for the Cheetah. It seems to be a conspiracy.

Attachments

• Cheetah 182.jpg
    Cheetah 182.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 42
Nice little Lynx in that pic.

So WTF does the monkey fly? I think that will settle it all for once. And yea, you opened pandoras box talking about trading up rendering your first post disclaimer null and void.

Come fly my Lance. Shrimp dinners on me if you do.

So WTF does the monkey fly? I think that will settle it all for once. And yea, you opened pandoras box talking about trading up rendering your first post disclaimer null and void.

Come fly my Lance. Shrimp dinners on me if you do.

You bringing it to Gaston's?
I mean not that we have to wait until October but if ya do, I would love to go for a spin in it.
We can try to connect before then for sure though.

You bringing it to Gaston's?
I mean not that we have to wait until October but if ya do, I would love to go for a spin in it.
We can try to connect before then for sure though.

Maybe. not sure though. I'm taking the month of Nov off to hunt and not sure how many days I will have left. if it's severe VFR, I'd make it out and sleep in a tent if so on Sat-sun

Maybe. not sure though. I'm taking the month of Nov off to hunt and not sure how many days I will have left. if it's severe VFR, I'd make it out and sleep in a tent if so on Sat-sun

If youre in a tent, you wont be at Gaston's. They dont allow camping

Think I could pull of "I'm security for the aircraft" on them?

Just pitch your tent in that long grass meadow far from all the people.

To the OP-

Don't buy either the Cheetah or the Tiger. You like Grummans and that's great. Let's face it. The Tiger is the best Grumman without question. If you buy a lesser Grumman you will always wish you had the Tiger no matter how nice your radios are.

Raise the budget, be patient and buy a really, really nice Tiger. Anything less than a Tiger is... well, less.

That's what I did. I was looking at Tigers for over a year before I pulled the trigger on one in November. I went with the "buy my 2nd plane first" philosophy, spending a little more than I preferred....but the plane is in immaculate shape and I intend to keep it for a long time. No regrets. I still have a pinch me moment every time I open the hangar and see it sitting there.

To address some other's comments....the grummans have an excellent parts supply and support group and I don't think you'd have much problem selling a cheetah/tiger as long as it's not a beater (there are plenty of those) and you price it realistically. The Tiger I bought had two comparable "sight unseen" offers on it that the seller thankfully turned down because he was already in talks with me. Regardless of what plane one thinks is better, the grummans seem to have a never ending amount of fanboys (me included) that prefer it over all the others (rational or not).

It's being sold at indy air

I was over that way this weekend, although I couldn't have looked at it since I didn't get to TYQ until 6pm. If the weather were better this week I could pop over and look at it for you. Unfortunately....winter sucks up here.

Wow... Um.

I like grummans sho there's that.

I actually like grummans. Is that a bad thing?

I like Grumman airplanes and I cannot lie. I learned in the two seaters and eventually moved up to the Cheetah. My father had a 172, I flew it, but I still missed the Grummans. On a hot day I'd climb to altitude and crack open the canopy just to get some cool air in, it was a treat, not locked in the cockpit like you would be in a Biper or a Peechcraft. Grummans are simple airframes and they're fun to fly. Don't let these skeptics draw you in. You already have a fast traveling machine at your disposal, the Cheetah will meet your needs.

The only problem I forsee is that after you sell your Grumman and buy a Skylane or Dakota, you're going to miss your Grumman.

wait, for real there's no camping at gastons?

Probably. They're not in the airport business. They're in the "butts in beds" business. The cabins aren't particularly high priced compared to lots of destinations.

Back