Which engine ADs apply after an overhaul?

PaulR035

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul R
Looking through my logs, and noticed that the last time someone printed out an AD compliance sheet for the engine, the dates on the ADs listed only went back to the date of major overhaul.

I just recently had another major overhaul on the engine. When checking AD compliance, do I need to look at every AD available for the engine, or just recurring ones from before the overhaul?

EDIT: Looks like I received an AD compliance report from the overhaul shop- it goes all the way back to 1966, but almost nothing from that far back applies.

Last edited:
Looking through my logs, and noticed that the last time someone printed out an AD compliance sheet for the engine, the dates on the ADs listed only went back to the date of major overhaul.

I just recently had another major overhaul on the engine. When checking AD compliance, do I need to look at every AD available for the engine, or just recurring ones from before the overhaul?
The ADs should be signed off......and only the new ones since the OH should apply plus the recurring ones.

depends on who did the overhaul.

That's just it, any of them could apply really. Even old ones that didn't apply before could apply now. Example : 150hp upgrades to 160 horse and lycoming crankshaft inspections.

I'd like to believe all engine assemblers review all the ADs carefully while assembling the engine...

That's just it, any of them could apply really. Even old ones that didn't apply before could apply now. Example : 150hp upgrades to 160 horse and lycoming crankshaft inspections.

I'd like to believe all engine assemblers review all the ADs carefully while assembling the engine...
Remember we have parts that the AD applies that are airworthy

Remember we have parts that the AD applies that are airworthy

A lot of engine log entries are so bland that if an AD was issued on ____________ aftermarket FAA/PMA oil pump drive shafts shipped from 2005 to 2006, there wold be no way to know what oil pump drive shaft was installed at overhaul. That kind of thing drives me nuts.

A lot of engine log entries are so bland that if an AD was issued on ____________ aftermarket FAA/PMA oil pump drive shafts shipped from 2005 to 2006, there wold be no way to know what oil pump drive shaft was installed at overhaul. That kind of thing drives me nuts.
this is true,, follow the directions in FAR 43-2.

When checking AD compliance, do I need to look at every AD available for the engine, or just recurring ones from before the overhaul?
Don't quite follow your context of "which ADs apply after an overhaul." Why do you believe there has been a change in the AD listings/requirements after the OH of the same engine? Are you asking because of the requirements in 91.417? Or, asking which ADs will require review at the next required inspection? Or,...?

What does 91.417 have to do with compliance of part 39?

There should be a current AD list as of the last overhaul, hopefully showing which ones are one time and which are recuring going forward. Then it is just a matter of keeping up on those issued after the overhaul.

It is hard to believe that the oil pump impeller AD is still out there, written up as N/A or parts replaced, when it hasn't actually been done.

There should be a current AD list as of the last overhaul, hopefully showing which ones are one time and which are recuring going forward. Then it is just a matter of keeping up on those issued after the overhaul.

It is hard to believe that the oil pump impeller AD is still out there, written up as N/A or parts replaced, when it hasn't actually been done.
Only the mechanic would know what was done and what wasn't. Lack of proper records leaves "it wasn't done"

There should be a current AD list as of the last overhaul,
How do we known the AD wasn't superseded with a service bulletin, you need to know what the return to service tag says.

What does 91.417 have to do with compliance of part 39?
The question is for the OP, but I'll bite. Where's the requirement to maintain a record of compliance of Part 39?

Some times a part number change can comply with a AD

The question is for the OP, but I'll bite. Where's the requirement to maintain a record of compliance of Part 39?
It is implied when you sign the log as airworthy read 43. it is in there.

If it’s not written, it didn’t happen.

How do you know? Did you do the overhaul?
Isn’t that the whole point of the thread? There isn’t a current AD compliance sheet for the new overhaul. Read...

here we go again, who is guessing who said what?

Isn’t that the whole point of the thread? There isn’t a current AD compliance sheet for the new overhaul. Read...
that was too hard to BELL to understand. 2 completely different FARs and he can't understand either.

how did I get in this conversation.
Ha. You stuck yourself into the conversation in Post 9 which I pointed out in 13 my question was addressed to the OP and not you. So... if you don't want to be involved don't get involved. Simple.

Ha. You stuck yourself into the conversation in Post 9 which I pointed out in 13 my question was addressed to the OP and not you. So... if you don't want to be involved don't get involved. Simple.
Tom already answered it all. The question was simple.

There isn’t a current AD compliance sheet for the new overhaul. Read...
Ha. Guess you can't read either. I believe the OP stated he got an AD compliance sheet. Here it is in case you missed it:
EDIT: Looks like I received an AD compliance report from the overhaul shop- it goes all the way back to 1966, but almost nothing from that far back applies.

The question was simple.
So you agree 91.417 has zero to do with AD compliance?

Ha. Guess you can't read either. I believe the OP stated he got an AD compliance sheet. Here it is in case you missed it:
So you consider a compliance sheet from 1966 with entries that don’t apply to the current engine to be ‘a current AD compliance sheet’?

So you consider a compliance sheet from 1966 with entries that don’t apply to the current engine to be ‘a current AD compliance sheet’?
You may want to take a deep breath and read Post 1 again...
it goes all the way back to 1966, but almost nothing from that far back applies.
It's not from 1966. :rolleyes: I know of a number of current AD compliance status sheets that go back as far as the 40s. How far back does the AD listing on your aircraft go? And who is required to maintain that AD record on your aircraft?

We did you didn't understand then either.

You can't answer a simple question without complicate it.

It's not from 1966. :rolleyes: I know of a number of current AD compliance status sheets that go back as far as the 40s. How far back does the AD listing on your aircraft go? And who is required to maintain that AD record on your aircraft?
That wasn't the question.

I just recently had another major overhaul on the engine. When checking AD compliance, do I need to look at every AD available for the engine, or just recurring ones from before the overha
We can't answer this question with out knowing what was done during the overhaul.

now you know why I use ADlog.com

WHO cares how many years they go back? is it correct now? is all that counts.

2 years is all the FAA can read. you can throw the rest away

And who is required to maintain that AD record on your aircraft?
none required

Show me a requirement to make a statement in any log that part 39 must entered to the log.

Last edited:
OBTW,, there is no such as a compliance sheet. that is a IA's opinion of what applies.

don't believe me ? show me one from a FAA sheet.

How do we known the AD wasn't superseded with a service bulletin, you need to know what the return to service tag says.
An ad cannot be superseded by a sb. A ad is regulatory, an sb is not, you know that. Nor can a sub be a terminating action to a AD unless it is written in the AD. If a manufacturer issues a sub that will terminate an AD the ad will be revised and re issued.

OBTW,, there is no such as a compliance sheet. that is a IA's opinion of what applies.

don't believe me ? show me one from a FAA sheet.

no, the faa does not define a compliance sheet , but as per 91.417 the status of applicable AD’s must be recorded somewhere. also, as per 91.417 an entry like, “all applicable ad’s complied with” doesn’t cut it legally.

Last edited:
I'm actually building a draft entry for my own overhaul in the near future. Planning on doing it before I run out of pages in the original logbook from 1968.

upload_2020-6-23_8-30-33.png

My apologies to the OP. If you'd like any other input feel free to PM.

2 years is all the FAA can read. you can throw the rest away
none required
Show me a requirement to make a statement in any log that part 39 must entered to the log.
I'd expect someone like ryanb not the know the regulatory details, but someone of your experience and being an IA to say a record of ADs is not required, well that is pretty amazing. Since it appears you're only capable of asking questions vs answering them, I'll finish this up for you since you obviously don't know. A record/compliance sheet/whatever you call it of ADs applicable to an aircraft is a permanent record requirement of, you guessed it, 91.417, specifically, 91.417(a)(1)(v). Your comment in Post 15 that this AD record "is implied when you sign the log as airworthy read 43. it is in there..." is not correct because those maintenance logs are only required to be kept for 1 year or till repeated per, you guessed it again, 91.417. But how the owner complies with 91.417 is strictly up to him and not you the mechanic.

As to your comment, "Show me a requirement to make a statement in any log that part 39 must entered to the log..." that requirement can be found in 43.9 since all work performed must be entered in the maintenance log/record, other than inspections, which is found in 43.11, in case you forgot that too.;)

So back to your original question in Post 9, 91.417 has everything to do with compliance of Part 39 as it is the only regulation that mandates a current Part 39 AD compliance record be kept by the owner. And the simple reason I asked the OP in what context he was concerned over his AD listing of his engine.

Back