Where to go...???

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
I'm really going to need to get away in a few weeks after I'm done with these two projects. The only thing that jumps to the top of my list is Traverse City.

Any other suggestions within about 400 NM from SE MO?

(Don't even think about suggesting something farther south...it's August afterall)

I hear east Tennessee is a beautiful place to fly ;)

I'm really going to need to get away in a few weeks after I'm done with these two projects. The only thing that jumps to the top of my list is Traverse City. [...]

Sounds good. While you are in the area, you might also want to check out North Fox Island (6Y3), which is located only 45 nm north of Traverse City, bearing 349°.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/2016-6y3-n-fox-is-pirep.96664/
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/aero/North_Fox_Isl_497193_7.pdf

The Pellston airport (KPLN) has an excellent burger restaurant inside the terminal: http://www.hoppieslanding.com/Hoppieslanding.html
It is located close to the Mackinac bridge, which is a great destination for a scenic tour, there is also a motel located right across the street.

If you are looking for company, Martina and I would gladly fire up our new to us Mooney and join your for a Burger in Pellston or a hike around North Fox Island. :)

Oliver

Eastern Tennessee seems to be really nice. I just googled for things to do and was really impressed.
It is also not too far away from MI. I guess we have to add it to our list of weekend getaway destinations. :)

Sikeston, MO
There's a really good restaurant you'll like there......

Why Traverse City? Not that Traverse City isn't a nice town, but to me, being from the area, it is nothing special either...

Why Traverse City? Not that Traverse City isn't a nice town, but to me, being from the area, it is nothing special either...

Because if you are from southeast Missouri and you've been flying through weeks of high temperature and high humidity northern Michigan is like a cool drink of water!

Because Traverse City and Michigan in general are cool... ;):D At least most of the time...

Because if you are from southeast Missouri and you've been flying through weeks of high temperature and high humidity northern Michigan is like a cool drink of water!
Sure...but then the whole of northern Michigan is...

Exactly! That's why going anywhere at this latitude or below sounds so unappealing...although visiting FastEddie would be a hoot! (Maybe at a different time of the year.)

I'm also looking for someplace cool (both literally and figuratively) that I've never been to. Those, frankly, are getting harder and harder to find. I've been blessed to have traveled with almost every profession I've pursued.

I'm also thinking about Frankenmuth, never been there either. Heard it's really cool.

Also, Erie, PA might be an option, I've been there, but just for a hit and run on business. Didn't get a chance to enjoy it. From what I saw, It's a really cool town on the lake.

Last edited:
You want cool, check out Pellston, MI. It's frequently the "icebox" of Michigan in winter. :stirpot:

Frankenmuth isn't northern Michigan, but it is nice...there is a nice fly-in / camp-in there in two weeks that is a blast.

There used to be a very nice diner within walking distance of the Oscoda County field at Mio, MI (51M). Not sure if the diner is still there, but I notice the airport now has a second name of Kauffman Memorial. Might be worth a call or two to find out.

The Diner at Mio (51M) is still there. :) The cake was very good - we still have to stop for lunch or dinner.

The Diner at Mio (51M) is still there. :) The cake was very good - we still have to stop for lunch or dinner.

I flew my mom there for mother's day...not bad, and you can taxi across the grass right up to it...but Pellston is better.

Tim it is a hair over 400 miles but it is time for you to go back country Idaho.

There is always Kennett...I know how much you love it there. You don't even need to RON.

Door County WI is a summer resort area. If you want extreme quiet, try Washington Island, 2P2. For a busier place, KSUE.

Nice aviation themed restaurant. Last time I mentioned it you posted pictures of large breasted women, but the restaurant really exists or at least it used too. Look it up

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think that's about 40 nms from where Tim's been working his projects. We liked Charlevoix, MI. Big airport, lotsa jets, but they have free bike rentals to get you into a picturesque town. We looked at Fox and Beaver Islands, but they were a bit far off shore for my liking last week! On the plus side, the it was cool up north as advertised. While you were sweltering in the heat & humidity, it was mid-70's for daytime highs.

All this time in Ohio and not one invite. I see how he is!!!!!

Working his ass off with no time to play...that's how he is!

Final inspection this week. I hope I'm headed home by Wednesday.

My latest idea for a "get away" is to attend the Colorado Pilots Assn's mountain flying seminar in a couple of weeks at Ft. Collins.

Never been to Ft. Collins---that I recall--- and never been mountain flying.

Kill two nevers with one stone!

I am working in the opposite direction with a large project for Pulaski Cty in Somerset KY

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Working his ass off with no time to play...that's how he is!

Final inspection this week. I hope I'm headed home by Wednesday.

My latest idea for a "get away" is to attend the Colorado Pilots Assn's mountain flying seminar in a couple of weeks at Ft. Collins.

Never been to Ft. Collins---that I recall--- and never been mountain flying.

Kill two nevers with one stone!

Was there last year. Busy airport with flight training and lots of helicopters and NO TOWER. Keep your head on a swivel.

I'm going to be in Traverse City from late afternoon this Saturday (8/6) to afternoon Sunday. Flying into KTVC on a contract pilot trip. Are there any POAers there? Anything interesting I can do during my down time?

I'm an hourish from TVC, but am booked Saturday from 2p - 8p. If you can get a car, drive around the Lelenau Peninsula.

Back