Where are they now?

They take one look at some of the posts and decide this is not the place for them. Just sayin'...
Agreed. And do not approve or appreciate

On the other hand, I do sorta kinda miss Lady Malibu ... ;)

They take one look at some of the posts and decide this is not the place for them. Just sayin'...

If a young girl (adult), is offended by what's said on this forum, they have some pretty thin skin. Overall, people on here are courteous and the threads are moderated appropriately.

Well, we know THAT didn't happen. But yeah... we're talking about the group that changes names every so often, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh no. That's not my group. I left that one after some jackwagon started posting racist cramp and pictures of dead kids. That that place is absolutely horrible.

Mine is "uncontrolled airspace"

If a young girl (adult), is offended by what's said on this forum, they have some pretty thin skin. Overall, people on here are courteous and the threads are moderated appropriately.
Not really. A lot of this board has become a "good ol' boys club" which sure can seem pretty cliquey and off-putting to some. Though one certain member being asked about that shall remain nameless, but should be obvious, was by far one of the biggest causes of this.

I miss EdFred. He lives close and I almost bought his Comanche.

Maybe we should have a "wish they were gone" post... :)

You can call it a lack of a thick skin, but what sometimes passes for good-old-boy banter on this forum would turn off many women I know, a number of whom are professionals working in a male world.

You can call it a lack of a thick skin, but what sometimes passes for good-old-boy banter on this forum would turn off many women I know, a number of whom are professionals working in a male world.

Perhaps you believe otherwise, but when there are no or few men present women can be even more gross than some of the things that are is posted here. The door swings both ways. I've encountered more than a few women who could make a pirate blush.

Perhaps you believe otherwise, but when there are no or few men present women can be even more gross than some of the things that are is posted here. The door swings both ways. I've encountered more than a few women who could make a pirate blush.
Yeah, but they don't post here on a public forum.

The banter is usually harmless and represents a small percentage of the information presented on this forum.

We have regular POA posters on here with a wide range of aviation specialties. Members like Ron W that writes articles for EAA. John C who is an authority on ADS-B and writes for AOPA. Doc Bruce is the premier AME in the country...although he doesn't post much anymore. Air traffic controllers from all types of facilities / experience levels. Current and former military aviators representing every branch. We have professional pilots from Part 91, 135, 121 and everything in between. Some crazy A&Ps that can't seem to get along but doesn't detract from the information given. Just a wealth of information on aircraft ownership alone.

So, if a girl can't see through the bs, take criticism and view the forum for its acceptable signal to noise ratio, then I feel sorry for them.

Seems like an odd way to reply to another poster who happens to be... female. ;)

(i.e., I'm sure she knows.)

Me, I'm not particularly bothered, given that I teach at a military college. I've heard worse crap from some of the students in my classes, when they didn't realize I could hear.

Oh yeah, that's the male students. At least in the classroom, the women students, even (and maybe especially) the cadets, are usually on their best behavior.

The banter is usually harmless and represents a small percentage of the information presented on this forum.

We have regular POA posters on here with a wide range of aviation specialties. Members like Ron W that writes articles for EAA. John C who is an authority on ADS-B and writes for AOPA. Doc Bruce is the premier AME in the country...although he doesn't post much anymore. Air traffic controllers from all types of facilities / experience levels. Current and former military aviators representing every branch. We have professional pilots from Part 91, 135, 121 and everything in between. Some crazy A&Ps that can't seem to get along but doesn't detract from the information given. Just a wealth of information on aircraft ownership alone.

So, if a girl can't see through the bs, take criticism and view the forum for its acceptable signal to noise ratio, then I feel sorry for them.

I guess I don't understand, @Everskyward , as I don't see a lot of, or almost any, highly offensive stuff. we goof off quite a bit, people argue like dooshbags a lot, but 'highly offensive' stuff that would drive women away? I'm just not seeing it. I see a lot more oversensitive cupcake dudes get all huffy and puffy about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING than real life offensive stuff. plus, I don't post much anymore and it looks like @mscard88 self-banned, so how bad can things really be?

I can't believe we're back to this conversation again. this time I can't even tell what kicked it off.

Maybe Mari and I see where we are now as what appears to us (correct me if I'm making improper assumptions) as a general degradation of the family feeling and friendly conversations we had when this board was stood up during the demise of the yellow board and its rebirth as the red board ... "things aren't like they used to be" and yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.

I am not personally offended as I have heard all kinds of stuff. In fact I have been criticized for being too much of a smart-ass. I try to curb it here because I am a mod. On the other hand, I cringe when I see some of what is posted, because I know it's a turn-off to a fairly large segment of the female population. Just take a look at some of the posts in the "leggings" thread.

Maybe Mari and I see where we are now as what appears to us (correct me if I'm making improper assumptions) as a general degradation of the family feeling and friendly conversations we had when this board was stood up during the demise of the yellow board and its rebirth as the red board ... "things aren't like they used to be" and yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.

I think of y'all as family, but you also haven't met my family either. LOL.

Not really. A lot of this board has become a "good ol' boys club" which sure can seem pretty cliquey and off-putting to some. Though one certain member being asked about that shall remain nameless, but should be obvious, was by far one of the biggest causes of this.

To be fair, there have been periods in PoA's history where the misogyny was much, much worse. But I agree with Mari that there are plenty of posts that I wouldn't consider actionable as "highly offensive" but do drive away females from the board.

We were discussing why some aren't here any more...

They could have left, even temporarily, for a multitude of reasons, but I don't see the general conduct here being the main one. There is content that seems intended to start an argument that I don't like to see but I just ignore that.

someone said 'pee pee' <enter jaw-dropping OMFG emoji here>. there was a four letter word that could have been avoided but that's easy enough to just read past that post. well, apparently it's not.

Hope EdFred recovers. Met him once at a fly-in at MGY and enjoyed the conversation.

Cheers

I've known women in traditionally male-dominated industries. It doesn't seem that thin skin is the problem so much as the constant, everyday, "here we go again" grind that eventually takes its toll.

I've met some who've figured out some great (and damn harsh) comebacks to the stupid crap males say. Stuff that will have everyone in the room folded over laughing at the moron who said something inappropriate to them. Witty women who can slap idiots around like that verbally are great.

I've met some who've figured out some great (and damn harsh) comebacks to the stupid crap males say. Stuff that will have everyone in the room folded over laughing at the moron who said something inappropriate to them. Witty women who can slap idiots around like that verbally are great.

But why should they have to?

Perhaps the mods should start sending all the new members who sign up here a participation trophy and some stickers to put on their wall.
I would venture to bet that most of us if not all of us are on other forums. We know what is going on before we sign up. If some cannot handle some swearing edited out or funny pictures and a bit of friendly banter then how do they make it through a day on planet earth?

Perhaps the mods should start sending all the new members who sign up here a participation trophy and some stickers to put on their wall.

Pretty sure the new PoA format does that. I've got like three trophies and like 6 medals. All for posting on a forum. I feel validated!!!

Pretty sure the new PoA format does that. I've got like three trophies and like 6 medals. All for posting on a forum. I feel validated!!!

You're correct, that's a function of the new forum format. One I could do without, but it's there.

Kent, Grant, Leslie, Gary Shelby, Gary Mascelli, Steingar, Greebo, Anthony, Nick, Bill and Brent, David White and so many many more.

I'm still around, although still grounded. Every time I'm about to call Bruce and get things going another health issue and/or cash sucking event happens and I kick the can further down the road. Brent is now married, and has a beautiful little girl, and still flies some.

The way I look at it, this is a cocktail party. Some people come early, and leave early. Some stay the entire party. Some come late, some you have to boot out the door at 2:30am.

The way I look at it, this is a cocktail party. Some people come early, and leave early. Some stay the entire party. Some come late, some you have to boot out the door at 2:30am.

Good way of looking at it. I've been on here close to 10 years and the cast of characters has evolved significantly over that time. Sometimes the same people leave for a time and come back.

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Back here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Back