When dreams come true... (long)

Ok, so the stories are true. When you wear a pilot uniform at an airport you're a magnet for questions.

After flying five legs today our crew deadheaded from Milwaukee back to Minneapolis. I had barely walked off the jetway when an elderly lady approached me (me, not my Captain.......

....You hear some humorous things on the radio, as many of you well know. So the other day people are checking in giving ride reports for their altitudes.

One guy with a VERY heavy accent (I'm guessing maybe a Chinese student) checks in with "Two Eight Zewoo, Smoof Wide!"......

Dude,

Save this stuff for your memoirs! This stuff is pretty good! You could be another Stephen Coonts!

If you ever make it to the Seattle area and have time, let me know, I'll buy you a beer!

Jonesy, with the number of us that want to buy you beers around the country, your liver will get so large you won't be able to pull the yoke all the way back. It may ruin your landings. :D

I'll pace myself! ;)

And ICN or GMP, I'll buy a bottle of Champagne!
(feeling pretty safe here :))

:D Never say never! I've got international flight privileges.

I wouldn't waste them with Seoul! :)

How does the flight privilege system work btw? I've only heard about having CASS, jumpseat rights and so on, but I've never heard how they actually work.

Can you just jump on any flight that's available, take the wife and kids, and go?

I wouldn't waste them with Seoul! :)

How does the flight privilege system work btw? I've only heard about having CASS, jumpseat rights and so on, but I've never heard how they actually work.

Can you just jump on any flight that's available, take the wife and kids, and go?

The CASS (Cockpit Access Security System) allows me to jump on any carrier domestically. International is theoretically available, but my understanding is no domestic carriers have implemented the extra hoops required by TSA for international.

CASS only benefits me. My family travels under the flight privileges policies of my company which varies from carrier to carrier. My wife and I have unlimited domestic travel (space available, standby basis) on Delta's plan, plus six international flights per year. I also have benefits on United but I haven't explored what they are. My son's benefits lasted as long as he was in college, but now that he's graduated I need to put him under a different plan that's slightly lower priority. He's actually made the most use of my benefits so far!

Flight run so full these days that it can be a challenge to take advantage of the flight bennies on many flights. You definitely need to give yourself some extra time.

Not completely true. At Delta, mainline Delta pilots can jumpseat internationally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not completely true. At Delta, mainline Delta pilots can jumpseat internationally.

We can also jump international on certain carriers. We also offer it in certain situations. In the cockpit is more restrictive than a seat in the back.

We can also jump international on certain carriers. We also offer it in certain situations. In the cockpit is more restrictive than a seat in the back.

Good to know. I was going by an ALPA pub from a few years ago. Not sure I'd want to ride a jumpseat for eight hours, but I guess it's good to have the option.

Good to know. I was going by an ALPA pub from a few years ago. Not sure I'd want to ride a jumpseat for eight hours, but I guess it's good to have the option.

Not all international is the long haul. I rode the jumpseat home from Halifax, NS last week. 1.5 from YHZ -LGA then got a flight home. My buddy (AA pilot) didn't have a JS option and got stuck there another day.

Jumpseating internationally, you can't ride the jumpseast, can you? Hell, we have an international agreement with many carriers, but we have to be in the back.

I was on a flight from LAX to PPT (Papeete, Tahiti), and there was this chick sitting in a flight attendant's seat - the bulkhead-mounted ones with the seat bottom that flips up - aft, immediately opposite the right-side aft lav door (meaning the door to the lav was about 3' in front of her knees).

Towards the end of the long flight (Air Tahiti Nui, very good service), all the folks line up for the lav to get freshened-up, download their collected effluvia, that sort of thing, and I chatted briefly with this girl. I simply assumed that she was non-revving because, well, where she was sitting. She assured me, "No, I am NOT non-rev, they overbooked and I have to be there for a wedding." Not a happy camper.

The flight is around 8:30 long or so.

(Shudder)

I was on a flight from LAX to PPT (Papeete, Tahiti), and there was this chick sitting in a flight attendant's seat - the bulkhead-mounted ones with the seat bottom that flips up - aft, immediately opposite the right-side aft lav door (meaning the door to the lav was about 3' in front of her knees).

Towards the end of the long flight (Air Tahiti Nui, very good service), all the folks line up for the lav to get freshened-up, download their collected effluvia, that sort of thing, and I chatted briefly with this girl. I simply assumed that she was non-revving because, well, where she was sitting. She assured me, "No, I am NOT non-rev, they overbooked and I have to be there for a wedding." Not a happy camper.

(Shudder)

Yikes!! :yikes::yikes:

(Shudder)

I've never seen someone not in uniform riding jumpseat. I'd have thought that it would not be permissible under regs to put a paying passenger there. Are jumpseats equipped with O2 masks?

If I wasn't non-rev out the outset, I'd damn well be non-rev (i.e., refund my *@#!&^* money!) after being forced into those accommodations for 8+30.

I've never seen someone not in uniform riding jumpseat. I'd have thought that it would not be permissible under regs to put a paying passenger there. Are jumpseats equipped with O2 masks?

Yes, the jump seats have O2 mask. And Air Tahiti Nui is not a US carrier, so they operate under different regulations than a US carrier (ICAO).

Jumpseating internationally, you can't ride the jumpseast, can you? Hell, we have an international agreement with many carriers, but we have to be in the back.

Yep, read post previous to yours.

Well, finally got to do ORD a couple of times over the last couple of days. What a madhouse! But I can proudly say I've successfully shot the ILS 27L into ORD in IMC in a jet! What a hoot!

Flying under a different flag the last couple of days was eye-opening. Not all airlines are run the same. The difference in efficiency and employee attitude was, ahh....dramatic. Without putting out specific names out there I'll just say I'm happy I spend most of my time flying for the one and not the other.

I'll also say that, as far as big airports go, ATL sure seems a lot more efficient than ORD. I think it would take a fair amount of time to be really comfortable at ORD.

As an aside, had a fun crew on a long layover that resulted in enjoying some excellent craft beer, some sightseeing, an outdoor concert (a tribute concert for vets and they said my nine years in the NDANG qualified me and a guest to free admission!), and a lot of fun just hanging out and becoming friends. It was an interesting crew combo....a California rodeo cowboy, a Minnesota lawyer and a young Mississippi school teacher!

One more story from this trip: we flew ORD to DLH (Duluth, MN at western tip of Lake Superior.) The CA, who is just met, offered me the leg. "Sure! I've flown into Duluth several times GA, but never in a jet!" We dodged a little weather going up, then got vectors for the ILS to rwy 9. While being vectored in a scattered layer, more in cloud than out the controller calls out a Cirrus (which are made in DLH). We responded that we were IMC but had targets on TCAS. Then we got a Resolution Advisory to descend immediately! We pushed over hard, kicking off the autopilot while Cirrus sailed 500' over us.

For the controllers in the crowd, would that constitute loss of separation?

The dive put us in VMC so we stayed there and I shot the visual with a 17 knot, 90 degree xwind. I'd rate the landing as a satisfactory but I did get a compliment from the CA so I'll take it.

Yes it would unless the Cirrus had you in sight, doubtful seeing you were IMC.
Not good, I was a controller there for 4 years before the strike.
Someone up there will have some explaining to do and a lot of paper work to fill out, you may want to fill out a NASA report in any case.

Yes it would unless the Cirrus had you in sight, doubtful seeing you were IMC.
Not good, I was a controller there for 4 years before the strike.
Someone up there will have some explaining to do and a lot of paper work to fill out, you may want to fill out a NASA report in any case.

Interesting. Since we didn't deviate in any way from ATC instructions I'm not particularly concerned about explaining anything to the FAA. We were IMC on an IFR flight plan exactly where we were directed to be. And we reacted in conformance with the RA. But I wondered if the controller might have some paperwork to fill out.

Thanks.

Wouldn't it depend on whether the Cirrus was IFR or VFR? I don't mean IMC. The Cirrus could have been getting VFR flight following. ATC wouldn't know if the conditions were IMC for either airplane unless told.

Interesting. Since we didn't deviate in any way from ATC instructions I'm not particularly concerned about explaining anything to the FAA. We were IMC on an IFR flight plan exactly where we were directed to be. And we reacted in conformance with the RA. But I wondered if the controller might have some paperwork to fill out.

Thanks.

You have an ASAP program right? Seems like this should already be submitted, assuming you do.

Wouldn't it depend on whether the Cirrus was IFR or VFR? I don't mean IMC. The Cirrus could have been getting VFR flight following. ATC wouldn't know if the conditions were IMC for either airplane unless told.

True. Not sure of his status.

True enough if the Cirrus was VFR and getting advisories. But when you pushed over to descend as directed by the TCAS didn't you have to leave your assigned altitude. Of course if you were given pilots discretion down to 2500 then it's a moot point. Unless things have changed up there I can't remember there being a minimum vectoring altitude of 2500 anywhere around there. Who knows the Cirrus may have been a pop up just as you were going by.
Either way I'd make sure to report it to someone.

Two weeks ago I got to shoot my first ILS in a raging thunderstorm complete with massive lightning and driving rain. But we broke out around 500' so, other than the theatrics, it wasn't all that tough.

Today I got to shoot my first ILS down to minimums...or close. It came on a return from Regina, Saskatchewan...my second international run. 100' from minimums I picked up the approach lights....no runway but the approach lights. Got the "Approach lights, Continue" call and continued down. Then it opened up and had good vis for the landing. What a rush at 138 knots!

I still greatly enjoy reading your updates! Keep them coming!

Thanks. As long as folks are interested, I'll be happy to keep posting. I still have trouble fathoming the fact I'm actually getting to do this gig....and am being paid to do it!

I also continue to be impressed by the number of passengers who take the time to express gratitude and complimentary remarks on the service we provide. It's very gratifying.

Yes, please keep them coming.

There is a little bit of Walter Mitty in all of us that are living vicariously thru your updates.

The other day we pulled into the gate after a short round trip to LaCrosse, MN...a short 20 minute flight. I was scheduled to sit Ready Reserve for two hours after this flight, then would be off.

After running the shutdown checklist I hear the Captain say, "I hope you're not here for me!" I look over my shoulder and it's our domicile office admin standing just inside the flight deck.

"Nope", she says, then looks at me. I'm still clueless.

"Grab your things and follow me. You've been randomly selected for testing."

Oh...THAT'S why she's here!

So I grab my stuff and we start hiking through the terminal. Eventually we meet another young lady to whom I am handed off. More hiking til we reach the crew lounge of one of the other Regionals at MSP.

I get the double-dose: breathalyzer AND pee test! I immediately see the .000 on the breathalyzer. I'm assuming the pee test yielded the same!

With that completed I decide to grab some lunch on the way to the crew lounge. At that point I realize in the hubbub I hadn't turned my phone on. As I do, I see two missed calls and voice mails from Crew Support needing me to immediately report to another gate for a flight to Fargo! I call them back right away and am informed they pulled another FO for that flight, but I need to cover his flight to Lansing! So I race off to that gate, sandwich in hand.

They're boarding that flight as I arrive so I quickly introduce myself to the Captain, then head outside to do a walk-around and confirm the refueling doors are secured. Once that's completed I settle in and do my thing!

Later, on the ground in Lansing, I have a voice mail from our Assistant Chief Pilot asking me to call. I'm thinking I might be in trouble for missing the first calls. I call him back to find he's just checking in on me and apologizing for me having had to go through the scramble. They weren't supposed to randomly test me when I was on Ready Reserve, which means you're at the airport and can be ready to fly in 15 minutes. I was relieved all was cool!

Last edited:
Thanks. As long as folks are interested, I'll be happy to keep posting. I still have trouble fathoming the fact I'm actually getting to do this gig....and am being paid to do it!

Well, in fairness, they aren't paying you very much... :rofl:

Well, in fairness, they aren't paying you very much... :rofl:

True, but I did get a 25% raise last month!! :yes: :wink2:

And I still get to instruct! I soloed a delightful young lady today who aspires to an airline career. I have no doubt she'll make it.

I do keep my law license current, too. Just completed my CLE courses for the next three year reporting period which technically weren't due til 6/30/2018! Now I'm good til 6/30/2021. I should be flying left seat by then!

Love reading you posts. Gives me hope that I could have a second career as a jet pilot some day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back