When dreams come true... (long)

Maybe I've asked before and can't remember, maybe I haven't. You flying all 3 types of CRJ's or just a specific one.

I'm typed for all three but have only had trips in the 200, which comprises the bulk of our flying out of MSP. I'm going to try and get OOE scheduled on the 700 or 900 so I'll have the option of all three. I'll probably have to do a trip out of another domicile to do that. The 7 and 9 trips go pretty senior, from what I hear.

I'm typed for all three but have only had trips in the 200, which comprises the bulk of our flying out of MSP. I'm going to try and get OOE scheduled on the 700 or 900 so I'll have the option of all three. I'll probably have to do a trip out of another domicile to do that. The 7 and 9 trips go pretty senior, from what I hear.

I wasn't sure how they did it there. I know some places have different pilot groups for say a 200 and 900.

I wasn't sure how they did it there. I know some places have different pilot groups for say a 200 and 900.

We just need to do a trip with a Line Check Airman to add the 700 and 900 to our qualifications. Once added, you can bid for trips on any of them.

It's pretty basic...just experimenting with iPhone time lapse.

Love the big lake ships. That exact ship has gone past our cottage in the 1000 islands many times.

0729151559.jpg
(This picture isn't that ship but one similar to it)

We just need to do a trip with a Line Check Airman to add the 700 and 900 to our qualifications. Once added, you can bid for trips on any of them.

How do you schedule the trip with the line check airman? Do you have to bid it like any other trip (hard if you're junior), or do they make exceptions in that situation and just assign you an available trip on that type...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you schedule the trip with the line check airman? Do you have to bid it like any other trip (hard if you're junior), or do they make exceptions in that situation and just assign you an available trip on that type...?

I think we can just go through our training department to get it scheduled. They will just build a trip out of open time on the schedule, I think. I've enjoyed the 200 so much I haven't wanted to get spoiled by the 7 & 9!

How often do you give PIREPS compared to your previous flying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often do you give PIREPS compared to your previous flying?

It's pretty common when checking in to give a ride report, i.e. "SkyWest 4819, 320 Smooth" or light chop or whatever. If it's really bumpy we are usually looking for a change.

Base and tops reports are often requested by the tower if they haven't had anyone come in or out recently.i had that request at Traverse City on Saturday.

I think we can just go through our training department to get it scheduled. They will just build a trip out of open time on the schedule, I think. I've enjoyed the 200 so much I haven't wanted to get spoiled by the 7 & 9!

My hunch tells me that the 700/900 will land better than the 100/200 does, based on how the DC9-15 lands versus the DC9-30, the difference being the same, leading edge devices.

My hunch tells me that the 700/900 will land better than the 100/200 does, based on how the DC9-15 lands versus the DC9-30, the difference being the same, leading edge devices.

Actually, it's the opposite. The 200 has a trailing link gear that makes it pretty hard to screw up a landing. The 700/900 have a more traditional oleo strut. Couple that with a much different sight picture (much higher due to leading edge slats and longer fuselage) usually results in much less forgiving landings. I've had seasoned 700/900 captains saying they still think a greaser in it is pure luck. They're very routine in the 200.

Actually, it's the opposite. The 200 has a trailing link gear that makes it pretty hard to screw up a landing. The 700/900 have a more traditional oleo strut. Couple that with a much different sight picture (much higher due to leading edge slats and longer fuselage) usually results in much less forgiving landings. I've had seasoned 700/900 captains saying they still think a greaser in it is pure luck. They're very routine in the 200.

Interesting. At least the sight picture of the 700/900 is like most other airliners, with a nose up attitude. That's one of my big complaints about the DC9-15, coming in nose down on approach.

Interesting. At least the sight picture of the 700/900 is like most other airliners, with a nose up attitude. That's one of my big complaints about the DC9-15, coming in nose down on approach.

Like anything, you get used to it. The 200 you just point at your landing spot, not unlike a Cherokee. At 50' throttles go to idle, arrest the descent by 30' and just barely flare at 10' and she'll kiss the runway every time. It's really a nice flying machine.

Xwinds are the trickiest because of the narrow/short gear which has the wings pretty close to the ground. Ironically, it's the upwind wing that usually takes the strike because pilots don't hold the upwind aileron after touchdown.

Like anything, you get used to it. The 200 you just point at your landing spot, not unlike a Cherokee. At 50' throttles go to idle, arrest the descent by 30' and just barely flare at 10' and she'll kiss the runway every time. It's really a nice flying machine.

Xwinds are the trickiest because of the narrow/short gear which has the wings pretty close to the ground. Ironically, it's the upwind wing that usually takes the strike because pilots don't hold the upwind aileron after touchdown.

Interesting. Even the most seasoned DC-9 guys I fly with all complain about how poorly the DC-9-15 lands, mostly due to its lack of leading edge devices. Also, it doesn't help that nobody here really flies a whole lot and gets real current in the airplanes. I think I've got 5 landings in the last 5 weeks. Doesn't help a whole lot

Interesting. Even the most seasoned DC-9 guys I fly with all complain about how poorly the DC-9-15 lands, mostly due to its lack of leading edge devices. Also, it doesn't help that nobody here really flies a whole lot and gets real current in the airplanes. I think I've got 5 landings in the last 5 weeks. Doesn't help a whole lot

That's an advantage of regionals. I usually average four legs a day (3-5 typical days), so two landings a day for each of us over a four day trip (8 total). I just saw a schedule that had a four leg, a five leg and two six leg days! It credited over 25 hours for a four day trip. I have yet to get a trip that good!

That's an advantage of regionals. I usually average four legs a day (3-5 typical days), so two landings a day for each of us over a four day trip (8 total). I just saw a schedule that had a four leg, a five leg and two six leg days! It credited over 25 hours for a four day trip. I have yet to get a trip that good!

Exactly why I'm off to interview Friday at a regional. I'll be giving up money, but a little bit of money now could make a huge difference in money in 10 years or more

THIS ^^^^ is why I would've never made it at the regionals. "two six leg days = good trip". :hairraise: Here's to you brother! Not my cup o tea... Now a 4 day trip that pays 25 hours for 2 or three legs total? Now you're speakin my language. Best I've had in that regard was a 4 day Moscow that paid 21 hours for two legs. (same pay as the three day trip incidentally)

THIS ^^^^ is why I would've never made it at the regionals. "two six leg days = good trip". :hairraise: Here's to you brother! Not my cup o tea... Now a 4 day trip that pays 25 hours for 2 or three legs total? Now you're speakin my language. Best I've had in that regard was a 4 day Moscow that paid 21 hours for two legs. (same pay as the three day trip incidentally)

I guess it depends on perspective. Yeah, a six leg day is a lot of work...but it's a lot of FLYING, too. Personally, doing a takeoff, droning along for eight hours watching an autopilot, then doing one approach and landing would ultimately bore me to tears. But I'm doing this for the flying, not just the dollars. I enjoy the whole process of flying, from the planning to the takeoff to the en route to the landing.

So, I guess it's good that we have all types to choose from. At this point, this fits my desires perfectly. If anything, I'd like to average one more leg per day.

I guess it depends on perspective. Yeah, a six leg day is a lot of work...but it's a lot of FLYING, too. Personally, doing a takeoff, droning along for eight hours watching an autopilot, then doing one approach and landing would ultimately bore me to tears. But I'm doing this for the flying, not just the dollars. I enjoy the whole process of flying, from the planning to the takeoff to the en route to the landing.

So, I guess it's good that we have all types to choose from. At this point, this fits my desires perfectly. If anything, I'd like to average one more leg per day.

That's my feeling on it too. We have a DC-9 with a couple of auxiliary fuel tanks that can easily do 5 hours or more in flight. I've done a couple 4+ hour flights on it, and it's not my cup of tea.

That's my feeling on it too. We have a DC-9 with a couple of auxiliary fuel tanks that can easily do 5 hours or more in flight. I've done a couple 4+ hour flights on it, and it's not my cup of tea.

Yea, but at least you don't have to pee in a Gatorade bottle!

Congrats on the dream job. Working on that CRJ FMS was one of my first jobs. That generation of ProLine avionics is pretty far out of date these days when you compare it to new stuff, but it'll still be flying for a long time. How do you like operating it? Anything especially not intuitive?

Yea, but at least you don't have to pee in a Gatorade bottle!

Some days I'm thinking that might be better than doing the Walk of Shame down the aisle to the rear of the CRJ to pee in flight!

Thankfully that has NOT been an issue, helped I'm sure by the fact we fly a lot of very short legs! I make a point to use the head right after the pax deplane if I think there's even a small chance I'll have the urge on the next leg!

I remember one CA a couple weeks ago who, right before pushing back, decided he had to go! Door was already shut and we were ready to depart with a FULL plane load when he unbuckled, clamored out of his seat and did The Walk!

I was sort of chuckling inside!

Last edited:
Some days I'm thinking that might be better than doing the Walk of Shame down the aisle to the rear of the CRJ to pee in flight!

Thankfully that has NOT been an issue, helped I'm sure by the fact we fly a lot of very short legs! I make a point to use the head right after the pax deplane if I think there's even a small chance I'll have the urge on the next leg!

I remember one CA a couple weeks ago who, right before pushing back decided he had to g.! Door was already shut and we were ready to depart with a FULL plane load when he unbuckled, clamored out of his seat and did The Walk!

I was sort of chuckling inside!

Good point. I'm guessing you're a relatively tall guy, and would have to do the limbo move with your face an inch from the curved fuselage as your only hope of actually hitting the head. Did they give you any training in that? :D

Good point. I'm guessing you're a relatively tall guy, and would have to do the limbo move with your face an inch from the curved fuselage as your only hope of actually hitting the head. Did they give you any training in that? :D

Only 5'10" but it's not a comfortable standing position even for me! I try to avoid Lawrence Welk's admonition to his band members: "Pee on your toes, boys!"

Tank you, tank you!

Oh yeah, I agree. All perspective. I've been doing nothing but flying for a living for the last 16 years. So, another sortie doesn't mean as much anymore. I'm not doing it so much for the money; the money is fine, but the job is easy (95-99% of the time) and it's the natural next step for me. I enjoy travel, watching the world go by - last night for instance - on the way to Amsterdam was some of the best northern lights I've ever seen. For about 2 hours we were just cruising by them ebbing and flowing. I had to monitor the flight and do some paperwork, but otherwise I was able to just enjoy it. I'd rather do that than yet another ILS to mins. BTDT.

Don't forget - the "enjoying the whole process of flying" includes cruise flight too. I enjoy it as well, we just enjoy it differently. Same reason some guys stay on the maddog for years and years.

I'm really not knocking it, in fact my hat's off to you guys. I know I wouldn't enjoy it and I'm not sure I could do it long enough to get to the point that I wouldn't have to do it anymore. I'm glad you are enjoying it and I hope all the guys you fly with are similar. Flying with unhappy people is just not worth it.

Oh yeah, I agree. All perspective. I've been doing nothing but flying for a living for the last 16 years. So, another sortie doesn't mean as much anymore. I'm not doing it so much for the money; the money is fine, but the job is easy (95-99% of the time) and it's the natural next step for me. I enjoy travel, watching the world go by - last night for instance - on the way to Amsterdam was some of the best northern lights I've ever seen. For about 2 hours we were just cruising by them ebbing and flowing. I had to monitor the flight and do some paperwork, but otherwise I was able to just enjoy it. I'd rather do that than yet another ILS to mins. BTDT.

Don't forget - the "enjoying the whole process of flying" includes cruise flight too. I enjoy it as well, we just enjoy it differently. Same reason some guys stay on the maddog for years and years.

I'm really not knocking it, in fact my hat's off to you guys. I know I wouldn't enjoy it and I'm not sure I could do it long enough to get to the point that I wouldn't have to do it anymore. I'm glad you are enjoying it and I hope all the guys you fly with are similar. Flying with unhappy people is just not worth it.

Speaking of northern lights, the most spectacular display I ever had was four hour flight in my old Mooney one October night flying from Cheyenne to Minneapolis at around 9,000'. I look forward to seeing those from the CRJ this winter.

Really?!?! Now that sucks. I never knew that.

Depends on the operator, I suppose. But we sure don't have them, fill the plane up with cargo, you probably couldn't get to the back to the lavs anyway.

Depends on the operator, I suppose. But we sure don't have them, fill the plane up with cargo, you probably couldn't get to the back to the lavs anyway.

I thought the cargo versions had lavs right behind the cockpit.

Last edited:
Good luck! Keep us advised.

It went well. I've got a month or so before I'll have to decide if I want to put notice in where I'm at and actually make the move, so I'm not going to rush into anything yet. But I was impressed by the operation there in MSP.

It went well. I've got a month or so before I'll have to decide if I want to put notice in where I'm at and actually make the move, so I'm not going to rush into anything yet. But I was impressed by the operation there in MSP.

Excellent! MSP is a good place to fly, despite the winter! Keep me posted. Would enjoy connecting if you end up here.

Off to the airport and a busy four-day. Later.

Excellent! MSP is a good place to fly, despite the winter! Keep me posted. Would enjoy connecting if you end up here.

Off to the airport and a busy four-day. Later.

No reason to try to get an MSP base, unless I somehow couldn't get DTW right away. MSP looks much better than trying to do a crashpad in LGA or JFK

Back