When dreams come true... (long)

How many flight hours are you getting per month?

This month I have 65.5 in the jet with one more day of reserve to go...so might pick up 2-5 more....maybe. That's loggable block time. I've actually credited about 78 hours paid.

I also have 25.5 hours in singles, mostly instructing with a few hours towing gliders in a SuperCub!

My goal is to average 75+ block with 80-90 credit. I just need to learn the nuances of our bidding system which is pretty complex.

I have 185 hours total time in the CRJ, plus 70+ in the sim which I don't include in my logged time.

Last edited:
Love reading your updates! Hopefully I'll see you at BIS one of these days :)

Love reading your updates! Hopefully I'll see you at BIS one of these days :)

I'm looking into trying some stand-ups we have in BIS....taking last flight there late at night, spending a few hours sleeping, then taking first flight out, all within one duty period. They pay really well, so tend to go fairly senior in the bidding system. But I'm steadily moving up in seniority so maybe one of these days!

This month I have 65.5 in the jet with one more day of reserve to go...so might pick up 2-5 more....maybe. That's loggable block time. I've actually credited about 78 hours paid.

I also have 25.5 hours in singles, mostly instructing with a few hours towing gliders in a SuperCub!

My goal is to average 75+ block with 80-90 credit. I just need to learn the nuances of our bidding system which is pretty complex.

I have 185 hours total time in the CRJ, plus 70+ in the sim which I don't include in my logged time.

Yeah, I wish I was flying that much, unfortunately, I'm at the stage of my career where I need that amount of time. I'm at 24 hours since July 1. Which is why I'm starting to explore making the move to a regional much like yourself.

Yeah, I wish I was flying that much, unfortunately, I'm at the stage of my career where I need that amount of time. I'm at 24 hours since July 1. Which is why I'm starting to explore making the move to a regional much like yourself.

I'll recommend you! I think they're still paying a signing bonus. Are you doing 135 flying now?

I just picked up a stand-up during my days off this week. I'll show up at 9 pm for a 9:50 pm departure. 30 minutes later I'm on the ground. Should be at hotel in bed by 11:15 pm. Get up at 5:45 am for 6:15 show time. Off the ground at 7 am and back in MSP by 8 am with the rest of the day off.

1:48 flying time, paying 5:34 for 11 hours away from base (per diem paid for those hours.) that's more hourly pay than some four-leg days.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll recommend you! I think they're still paying a signing bonus. Are you doing 135 flying now?

I'm doing 121 supplemental. I'm actually looking at a different CRJ operator, one which has a base where I live, so I can live in base.

Yeah, its just exploring the regional option right now honestly. I enjoy my job, but the lack of flying is killing me.

My goal is 10,000 hours before I age out in seven years! I'm at 4,250 now. We'll see if I can make it. :dunno:

My goal is 10,000 hours before I age out in seven years! I'm at 4,250 now. We'll see if I can make it. :dunno:

Are you gonna go corporate/fractional when you age out?

Are you gonna go corporate/fractional when you age out?

I'm hoping that's an option at that point. I'd like to fly as long as I can. "Retirement" for me is, hopefully, a long ways off, and would probably look like a fifth-wheel parked at a warm climate gliderport teaching people to soar!

I'm flying with a terrific captain who shares my love of photography. He's quite an accomplished photographer.

So this morning it was my leg to Atlanta so he busted out his camera and snapped a few images.

I love my new office!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 121
I'm flying with a terrific captain who shares my love of photography. He's quite an accomplished photographer.

So this morning it was my leg to Atlanta so he busted out his camera and snapped a few images.

I love my new office!

Are you saying that this is more exciting than estate planning? :D

That's a great pic. Thanks for sharing. Your story is so inspirational.

Thanks!

As I flew into ATL early this morning via the KOLLT1 arrival and the ILS 8L approach, followed by a greaser landing (despite floating her a bit!) I have to say I had a pretty big grin on my face. Little by little the CRJ is starting to feel like a big Cherokee to me. A very fast Cherokee, mind you! (447 KTAS GS this morning.)

I'm guessing another 300 hours or so and she'll start to feel like old slippers....I hope!

I love my new office!
:yikes: Pilots taking pictures in the cockpit. OMG that's so dangerous!

Awesome picture!:thumbsup:

Loren, do you carry your own Jeps or do you have ship's manuals?

Each aircraft has its own dedicated sets updated via Jepp's Airside Service. It's bad enough going back to paper after being digital for four years! I'd hate to have to also lug them around and update them, too!

Last edited:

Yeah, I know! And I was even hand flying it! :hairraise:

In sim training they had us going on autopilot within a thousand feet. But when I was jumpseating before IOE I noticed most pilots hand flew to almost 10,000' or beyond. Now that I'm flying I understand why....it's fun to fly the dang thing! It's amazing how responsive it is for a 53,000 lbs machine! It's really a joy to fly.

Great picture. This is by far my favorite thread on this forun( possibly ever on any forum for that matter!)

I'm happy to keep sharing.

One of the best parts of this job is finding the little gems in each of our overnight stations. I had my first overnight in Sault Ste Marie in northern Michigan last Friday. The hotel had a free shuttle to downtown which is located near the locks that connect Lake Superior to Lake Huron via the St. Marys River. A large freighter was entering a lock so we watched the process and did some time-laps photos (I'm with the photographer captain!) I need to get a tiny portable tripod for such occasions!

On the grounds of the locks (operated by the Army Corp of Engineers) was a nice little visitor center with some interesting displays about the history of the locks, Great Lakes shipping, etc. Definitely worth a visit.

But across the river on the Canada side I saw the Bush Plane Museum! That was immediately added to my Bucket List for one of these overnights!

The other gem was the Locks View Restaurant, a tip received from our shuttle driver. I had a great steak and white fish combo. It was excellent!

Last night we were in South Bend, IN where Notre Dame was playing Texas. Almost our entire flight was Texas fans. As we landed the north ramp was a sea of airplanes...a bunch of biz jets, lots of cabin class twins, light twins and a good collection of singles. Obviously a lot of the fans for these teams fly!

We met up with another of our crews and the six of us went to a terrific little Irish Pub that had an amazing collection of Irish brews and a Shepherd's Pie that was delicious. The brews and stories flowed for several hours. I look forward to flying with that CA sometime!

I think I need to start compiling an Overnight Guidebook!

You have to be flying with the right guys to shoot pics in the cockpit. (from what I hear of course, I'd never personally commit such a grievous safety violation)

On the tracks coming back from Zurich yesterday, This guy was about 4 KIAS faster than us. Had to take a couple for my chem-trail buddies!

Attachments

• Delta245_6sept15_1.jpeg
    Delta245_6sept15_1.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Delta245_6sept15_3.jpeg
    Delta245_6sept15_3.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 64
You have to be flying with the right guys to shoot pics in the cockpit. (from what I hear of course, I'd never personally commit such a grievous safety violation)

On the tracks coming back from Zurich yesterday, This guy was about 4 KIAS faster than us. Had to take a couple for my chem-trail buddies!

Very cool!

I got a miraculous Captain upgrade today, courtesy of a creative captain! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 71

Was that guy 1,000 feet above you, or were you doing formation flying? ;)

I broke the 200 hour mark today on our second leg!

Small milestones! :D

Way to go Jonesy , i cant wait to start my new life as a professional tourist/pilot , only a few years left before i get to start. Im sure the fist time i step in the cockpit you wont be able to kick the smile off my face.

By chance can you post the time lapse pics? Would love to see those...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes please , my mother was born there and my grandfather was stationed there during WWII, at the Army base there. Ft.Brady.

Last edited:
I broke the 200 hour mark today on our second leg!

Small milestones! :D

Maybe I've asked before and can't remember, maybe I haven't. You flying all 3 types of CRJ's or just a specific one.

Back