When dreams come true... (long)

One of your coworkers ;)

11218171_10101390540942240_4790815175780263511_n.jpg

I've done MSP-RAP-MSP twice now, usually a quick turn. I'm not sure if we have any overnights there but I'm sure they'd be fun.

The KRAP jokes are plentiful on that run!

We sell KRAP t-shirts at the FBO. If you get a turn LMK and I'll try to take one over to ya.

My ex instructor is flying them there Delta Connection jets. He doesn't seem to hate it yet.

He has told me that on multiple occasions boarding passengers have loudly questioned his age(He's probably 24 or 25 now and I think he looks 21 lol). He wants to "punch them in the face".

I believe he's based at ORD. We spent some time walking around Airventure and he told me lots of cool things related to his job. Pay stinks but I think it would be fun.

This is probably a good time to apply. I got an unsolicited flyer in the mail from Skywest Airlines Pilot Recruitment...

My ex instructor is flying them there Delta Connection jets. He doesn't seem to hate it yet.

He has told me that on multiple occasions boarding passengers have loudly questioned his age(He's probably 24 or 25 now and I think he looks 21 lol). He wants to "punch them in the face".

I believe he's based at ORD. We spent some time walking around Airventure and he told me lots of cool things related to his job. Pay stinks but I think it would be fun.
I get asked my age all the time while instructing. If I go to the regionals I'm sure I'll get I there too

Loren, I know the passengers usually like to see a little "experience" in the cockpit (Hell, they don't have to know how long you've been flying the line), but I wonder if you don't field a question from your co-workers often about how you're a little older than the typical newbie FO?

This is probably a good time to apply. I got an unsolicited flyer in the mail from Skywest Airlines Pilot Recruitment...

Mari, I think you should sign up. Maybe you could have an all-POA crew! Then you and Jonesy could post selfies and the PNF could get on Tapatalk and tell us how much fun you're having.

Mari, I think you should sign up. Maybe you could have an all-POA crew! Then you and Jonesy could post selfies and the PNF could get on Tapatalk and tell us how much fun you're having.

I was laughing to myself that they must not check people's ages before they send out those flyers. Then I remembered that Jonesy and I are the same age!

I got that same flyer. I wonder how they chose to send on to me? Maybe since I keep my CFI current - I dunno. :dunno:

I got that same flyer. I wonder how they chose to send on to me? Maybe since I keep my CFI current - I dunno. :dunno:
I suspect the regionals are mass mailing to anyone with a commercial certificate. I don't have my CFI yet, but I just got one from Envoy.

I figured they must have sent them to all ATPs who have listed addresses in the FAA database.

I keep my CFI current too so your theory may also be correct.

I am also lacking airliner type ratings so they probably figure I don't work for one.

Yeah, who knows? I have a few airliner types, but you're probably right - maybe they're just mass mailing anyone with a commercial or ATP.

Yeah, who knows? I have a few airliner types, but you're probably right - maybe they're just mass mailing anyone with a commercial or ATP.

I've got ones from Expressjet and Endeavor. Why they don't look at the people they are sending them to and see what type ratings people have to not waste their money.

I've never received one... Five types- One airliner and four corporate.

Yeah, the passengers just assume I'm training the young'n in the left seat! :D

Loren, I know the passengers usually like to see a little "experience" in the cockpit (Hell, they don't have to know how long you've been flying the line), but I wonder if you don't field a question from your co-workers often about how you're a little older than the typical newbie FO?

It usually only comes up if I bring it up. So far they've been universally enthusiastic about having an old lawyer flying with them! They also seem to enjoy when I talk about the "cute little pay checks" I get! They've all been there.

I was laughing to myself that they must not check people's ages before they send out those flyers. Then I remembered that Jonesy and I are the same age!

We'd make a great crew! You can be CA....you've got way more jet time than me!

Yeah, the passengers just assume I'm training the young'n in the left seat! :D

Right there with you buddy - just on the other side of the flight deck. I've been flying with a lot of flows lately. Many (most?) of these guys have been at their regional carrier for a long time, and just now jumped ship. So I'm a good 20+ years younger.

I like it though. They may be new to the airplane, but they have a ton of experience otherwise.

Right there with you buddy - just on the other side of the flight deck. I've been flying with a lot of flows lately. Many (most?) of these guys have been at their regional carrier for a long time, and just now jumped ship. So I'm a good 20+ years younger.

I like it though. They may be new to the airplane, but they have a ton of experience otherwise.

They seem to enjoy many of the stories I have to share! :)

They seem to enjoy many of the stories I have to share! :)

They also give great advice learned from prior mistakes. Such as, "Stay the ***k away from the flight attendants!"

I don't think it works that way with airlines. Besides, you have much more experience than me in a CRJ!

I suspect the CRJ would be a very simple transition for you. For me, it was HUGE! But I'm now regularly getting nice comments on my approaches and landings, so I think I'm making progress.

I suspect the CRJ would be a very simple transition for you. For me, it was HUGE! But I'm now regularly getting nice comments on my approaches and landings, so I think I'm making progress.
I think the actual flying of the airplane would not be nearly as big a transition for me as the whole culture shock of the airline world. :eek:

I think the actual flying of the airplane would not be nearly as big a transition for me as the whole culture shock of the airline world. :eek:

Maybe, but I suspect you have some SOP things you follow as a crew? Since I don't have much to compare it to I can't really say. But I'm sure enjoying it!

I'm in lovely Wichita tonight. Never thought my first visit to the general aviation Capitol would be at the controls of an airliner! Amazing.

Maybe, but I suspect you have some SOP things you follow as a crew? Since I don't have much to compare it to I can't really say. But I'm sure enjoying it!

I'm in lovely Wichita tonight. Never thought my first visit to the general aviation Capitol would be at the controls of an airliner! Amazing.

We were in Wichita about a week ago getting some maintenance done. The airplane was born there. The first time I flew it it had less than 10 hours on it. That's one thing I never thought I would do, be involved in the delivery of a brand new jet.

I only know what people tell me about the airlines having never worked for one myself. My impression is that what we do is somewhere midway on the procedural/structure scale between small GA and airlines. Then there's the fact that for the past 7 years I have flown one N-number, with only three different people. Coincidentally, two of them have airline backgrounds.

Sounds like you are having a blast!

We were in Wichita about a week ago getting some maintenance done. The airplane was born there. The first time I flew it it had less than 10 hours on it. That's one thing I never thought I would do, be involved in the delivery of a brand new jet.

I only know what people tell me about the airlines having never worked for one myself. My impression is that what we do is somewhere midway on the procedural/structure scale between small GA and airlines. Then there's the fact that for the past 7 years I have flown one N-number, with only three different people. Coincidentally, two of them have airline backgrounds.

Sounds like you are having a blast!

I am having fun! The flying is great, but all the new people I've been meeting has been a real bonus. A CA I flew with last week has his Masters in Public Policy. We had some really interesting conversations!

I'm hoping to do this til I age out....and with any luck the FAA will meddle with the age thing one more time and bump it to 67 or 70! But if they don't, I'm making mental note of all the corporate Challengers I see....with any luck maybe I could find a gig flying those for a few years after SkyWest.

I suspect the regionals are mass mailing to anyone with a commercial certificate. I don't have my CFI yet, but I just got one from Envoy.

I have comm-multi and I haven't gotten a single one.

Probably wouldn't take it anyway, but this thread sure makes it more tempting...

Overnight PIREP:

In many locations we have two hotels we use, one close to the airport for short overnights (<then 11 hours) and a (usually) nicer hotel, often downtown, for longer layovers.

Last night I was at the long overnight hotel in Wichita, the Drury Plaza downtown. It's an older, historic hotel renovated to modern standards. It's really quite nice.

But the best part is the complimentary (at least for our crews) breakfast buffet, complete with a cheery, doting, grandmotherly lady who fusses over you to make sure you get enough!

Gotta love it!

Back