When dreams come true... (long)

You really are inspiring me. Are you finding your "git 'er done" work ethic helps?

You really are inspiring me. Are you finding your "git 'er done" work ethic helps?

No doubt about it. I find I'm also much more relaxed than some of the younger one who maybe haven't had quite as much life experience and can freak out a bit sometimes when they think the instructor has been a bit confusing on some topics. I just dive into the books and make sense of what he said. It's an airline, monitored by the Feds so EVERYTHING is extremely well documented.

Wish me luck! After that comes Systems...lots and lots of systems!

For a lifelong flying nut, this Is almost too much fun, despite the intensity of the learning process! I can't stop smiling.

Good luck! I hope to hear you over the cabin intercom someday~!

"Brace, brace, brace!"??? LOL. No no no no! Hahaha.

We covered that today. :yikes:

One week done. Now an intensive study weekend. I feel pretty good about Monday's indoc test. Tuesday's memorization test will be the challenge (100% mandatory.). Our study group is pretty diligent, so that's helpful.

The best part is everything is interesting so intensive study isn't all that bad because you WANT to know it all!

and the Emergency Procedures and Limitations test (340 memorization items!)

340 items?? WTH? The Airbus or the B75/76 doesn't have a third of that.

On the A320 we only have 8 memory items for EP, and honestly some of it is overkill. Limitations is about 2 type written pages of material.

On the A320 we only have 8 memory items for EP, and honestly some of it is overkill. Limitations is about 2 type written pages of material.

They know Jonesy is a lawyer, so they're throwing the book at him. :)

When I say 340 that's the number of blank items you need to fill in on the test. I've attached an example page. The items in grey shading are missing on the test and you need to fill them in.

Limitations run about three pages.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 107
When I say 340 that's the number of blank items you need to fill in on the test. I've attached an example page. The items in grey shading are missing on the test and you need to fill them in.

Limitations run about three pages.

Mmm. Memory items. Tasty.

Some private pilot type folks might note that newer singles have these things highlighted like that also...

And some instructors will require the memory items be committed to memory, too. ;)

Writing them down kinda sucks though. I find them easer to learn out loud as part of a flow. More of an auditory learner than visual I guess. Once you can say them, you can write them. Even if you have to mumble to yourself and visualize moving things. Heh.

I hear flash cards help too. Turing the flash cards into a drinking game can also be done. ;)

Mmm. Memory items. Tasty.

Some private pilot type folks might note that newer singles have these things highlighted like that also...

And some instructors will require the memory items be committed to memory, too. ;)

Writing them down kinda sucks though. I find them easer to learn out loud as part of a flow. More of an auditory learner than visual I guess. Once you can say them, you can write them. Even if you have to mumble to yourself and visualize moving things. Heh.

I hear flash cards help too. Turing the flash cards into a drinking game can also be done. ;)

Maybe we'll try the flash card drinking game AFTER the test!

We've been booking it all day, study group all afternoon and evening. The study group has been helpful on the ops materials. Not sure it will be much value for the memory test.

Even the on the ancient DC9, we don't have nearly that many memory items. That seems crazy.

Indoctrination test successfully completed Monday. Emergency Procedures and Limitations test successfully completed Tuesday. Now knee-deep into systems, slowly sinking to neck level! Fascinating stuff!

Have they 'splained why the some of the passenger seats bounce when they drop the gear on the RJ?

Indoctrination test successfully completed Monday. Emergency Procedures and Limitations test successfully completed Tuesday. Now knee-deep into systems, slowly sinking to neck level! Fascinating stuff!

You scared me. I almost posted yesterday because I thought your exams were on Monday and we hadn't heard anything. Nice work! NEXT! :)

:cheers: Congrats!

Good job. Can tell you're having a blast. ;)

Hopefully not head first!

You scared me. I almost posted yesterday because I thought your exams were on Monday and we hadn't heard anything. Nice work! NEXT! :)

Systems has been intense, but fascinating stuff. The engineering that goes into these things is amazing...like motive pumps. Look them up!

I've been averaging 15-16 hours a day in the books with very brief breaks of 10 minutes tops. This is more intense than the bar exam prep years ago! But I still can't wipe the grin off my face!

I've been averaging 90% on the systems quizzes but don't feel like I should be. But I'll keep reviewing and studying until I am there. Two days "off" which might mean only 12-14 hours studying for me. I'm not going to waste a minute while here. Too close to realizing a lifelong fantasy to let off the gas now.

Two more weeks of systems, although it supposedly lightens slightly next week. We start hitting the procedures trainers next week, learning our flow checks and switchology. We bid for our sim slots on Monday. Looks like I'll get a 10-12 day break before heading to sims, which would be great review time. Also looks like I'll be able to bid with my roommate who's a young, incredibly bright CFI who's got a photographic memory and is a great teacher! We get along great and I think will do well in the sims together.

My first airline paycheck hit my checking account today. Pretty tiny, but who cares?! It's from an airline! :lol:

Still loving every minute here...and not quite believing it's real.

Systems has been intense, but fascinating stuff. The engineering that goes into these things is amazing...like motive pumps. Look them up!

I've been averaging 15-16 hours a day in the books with very brief breaks of 10 minutes tops. This is more intense than the bar exam prep years ago! But I still can't wipe the grin off my face!

I've been averaging 90% on the systems quizzes but don't feel like I should be. But I'll keep reviewing and studying until I am there. Two days "off" which might mean only 12-14 hours studying for me. I'm not going to waste a minute while here. Too close to realizing a lifelong fantasy to let off the gas now.

Two more weeks of systems, although it supposedly lightens slightly next week. We start hitting the procedures trainers next week, learning our flow checks and switchology. We bid for our sim slots on Monday. Looks like I'll get a 10-12 day break before heading to sims, which would be great review time. Also looks like I'll be able to bid with my roommate who's a young, incredibly bright CFI who's got a photographic memory and is a great teacher! We get along great and I think will do well in the sims together.

My first airline paycheck hit my checking account today. Pretty tiny, but who cares?! It's from an airline! :lol:

Still loving every minute here...and not quite believing it's real.
Keep us updated! Sounds like you are having fun.

Sweet. As a 63 year oldfart, I stand in awe. Carry on and keep us posted.

They're telling us it's quite possible our class could make captain within 2-3 years at the rate things are progressing seniority-wise. So maybe by 61 I'll make the left seat. :dunno:

Personally, any seat up front is a great seat!

They're telling us it's quite possible our class could make captain within 2-3 years at the rate things are progressing seniority-wise. So maybe by 61 I'll make the left seat. :dunno:

Personally, any seat up front is a great seat!

Tell them you'll sue them if you don't make Captain in 2 years, and you know a pretty damned good lawyer who will do it. :)

After a pretty intense four weeks I'm happy to say I passed the CRJ ground school. It's been a long time since I studied that hard for that long! I am headed to the sims in two weeks. That will be almost four weeks total, with a few 1-3 day gaps along the way. Need to solidify my flows between now and then.

This has been a total rush. I'm looking forward to the hands-on portion next!

Attachments

• SkyWest_CRJ_Training_LDJ_sm.jpg
    SkyWest_CRJ_Training_LDJ_sm.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 115
  • LorenDJones_FO_sm.jpg
    LorenDJones_FO_sm.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 127
After a pretty intense four weeks I'm happy to say I passed the CRJ ground school. It's been a long time since I studied that hard for that long! I am headed to the sims in two weeks. That will be almost four weeks total, with a few 1-3 day gaps along the way. Need to solidify my flows between now and then.

Congratulations! You wear it well.

Have fun at the sim. You will soon discover how mentally draining the sim can be.

BTW, are they giving you a full type?

Have fun at the sim. You will soon discover how mentally draining the sim can be.

BTW, are they giving you a full type?

Yes, I'll be doing my ME ATP and Type rating for the 200/700/900 (which is a common Type...CL65 if I recall correctly.) That'll be the final LOE at the end of the sim training.

I've seen some guys exit the sims looking pretty beat, so I expect it to be intense. But anything will beat sitting in a classroom for eight hours a day.

Yes, I'll be doing my ME ATP and Type rating for the 200/700/900 (which is a common Type...CL65 if I recall correctly.) That'll be the final LOE at the end of the sim training.

I've seen some guys exit the sims looking pretty beat, so I expect it to be intense. But anything will beat sitting in a classroom for eight hours a day.

OK, so you guys are doing AQP?

Congrats! Enjoy the sim rides and make us proud.

Back