When dreams come true... (long)

That's exactly what it's like.

The -200 I'd the hardest to fly out of the series. Any ideas of a base?

A friend of a friend that flew all three described the -200 as a big Baron. She said the -700/900 were different perspective on landing due to all the leading edge devices, etc. Yet it's only a one day "differences" training on them after learning the -200.

I live in Minnie so will base here.

Wow!!!!!!! Congrats. Reaction from your family?

Shock and excitement. I think one older brother is more giddy than me about it! My college senior son thought it was great. He's pursuing ATC so hope to one day have the privilege of flying an airliner while being vectored by my own son! That'll be a Red Letter day on my calendar! (And in my logbook!)

Hmmmm...they didn't mention the bathroom cleaning... :dunno: :mad:

:rofl:

they prolly save that detail for the last day of training...

Congrats and best wishes for the new career

Congratulations and good luck on the career change! Now when people ask you will be to give them some perspective!

Absolutely amazing. I am very proud and exited for you sir!! Kick butt in training

THAT is an awesome story, have fun training and be sure to pop in hee now and then to tells us some more stories.

Jonesy, You bought a smile to my face. We shared the same dream from a young age and followed a similar but not mirrored career path. I took flying lessons about 12 years ago as a 39 year old attorney. Like most of us here I became obessed. I loved it so much my father said why don't you go for more training and see if you can fly for the airlines. Of course that was in the midst of all of the airline lay offs and at 39 I had my own firm a law partner I was obligated to and a family to support and college tuition in the future so the 20K per year for a regional guy was not going to cut it.

Your story is just such a great hopeful story I'm really happy for you that you were able to follow and realize your dream! Congrats!

Congrats, Loren!

Remember, once you become an 121 pilot you will no longer be qualified to be a CFI! ;)

A friend of a friend that flew all three described the -200 as a big Baron. She said the -700/900 were different perspective on landing due to all the leading edge devices, etc. Yet it's only a one day "differences" training on them after learning the -200.

I live in Minnie so will base here.

Friend of mine went to Skywest, oh probably 7 or 8 months ago and got the CRJ. I think he could have held a line in MSP the 2nd or 3rd month on the line, but instead chose to bid to LAX reserve.

The CRJ200 vs 700/900 sounds quite a bit like the DC9-10 and the rest of the DC9 series.

Canadair CRJ-200/700/900. I've heard it's like drinking from a fire hose.

Ugh. CRJs are a Canadian conspiracy against large Americans. Tiny seats with the window conveniently located at elbow height.

I hope the front seats are more comfortable you dog!

Wow, that's Great! Congratulations!!! Live the dream, I love that you're getting to do it! Go for it! :yes:

Im sure it will be like drinking from a fire hose, but remember they want to get you through it too. Please keep us posted, I for one am really going to be looking forward to reading how you're doing! (Another lawyer here, slaving away in the court system…)

Good luck!!!! :yes:

Glen

I really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. It's still a bit surreal. I suspect the first day of class it will finally sink in. It is an economic change, but my son graduates from college in three months (with honors!) and his college bill is paid. Plus my wife of 28 years has an ok job and says I can still live with her! :wink2:

I'll be checking in regularly with updates.

Congratulation! That is an awesome story. I like this part of the story most:

... He's pursuing ATC so hope to one day have the privilege of flying an airliner while being vectored by my own son! That'll be a Red Letter day on my calendar! (And in my logbook!)

Have fun!
Martina

I really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement. It's still a bit surreal. I suspect the first day of class it will finally sink in. It is an economic change, but my son graduates from college in three months (with honors!) and his college bill is paid. Plus my wife of 28 years has an ok job and says I can still live with her! :wink2:

I'll be checking in regularly with updates.

Loren, you're a class guy and deserve to live out your dream. Besides congrats on the opportunity that I posted earlier, even more congrats on your sons upcoming graduation and your wife's support in following your dreams. It's an awesome story.

Shock and excitement. I think one older brother is more giddy than me about it! My college senior son thought it was great. He's pursuing ATC so hope to one day have the privilege of flying an airliner while being vectored by my own son! That'll be a Red Letter day on my calendar! (And in my logbook!)

One of the coolest statements I've ever seen on this board! What a first-class guy, you are! I take back everything I've said about lawyers... :lol:

Cool. I used to do T-210 maint for an extremely wealthy Vegas contract attny, he decided he had enough money and went to work flying for Net Jets.

CONGRATS!! Living the Dream!

Ugh. CRJs are a Canadian conspiracy against large Americans. Tiny seats with the window conveniently located at elbow height.

I hope the front seats are more comfortable you dog!

Me, too! I know some jets require near-acrobatic agility to get into them. :eek:

I just got word that the young guys I interviewed with got hired, and one of my former ME students got a training date for May. So I'll have some built-in friends in the new gig!

Great story, thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to reading about your training.

CONGRATS!!!

One of the coolest statements I've ever seen on this board! What a first-class guy, you are! I take back everything I've said about lawyers... :lol:
Not to pull down the mood or anything, but I wouldn't go that far!:no:

Not to pull down the mood or anything, but I wouldn't go that far!:no:

I'm sure it was spoken in a moment of brief euphoria. Cooler heads will prevail! :lol:

I'll be sure to bring my collection of lawyer jokes with me to training.

What a cool story! You might be the only one in your the training class that can comfortably live on what they pay you!! :D:D
I have a buddy that went to work for ASA when he was 40, and I thought that was old to be starting! You'll do great and this means one less lawyer on the street!! :rofl::rofl:

What a cool story! You might be the only one in your the training class that can comfortably live on what they pay you!! :D:D
I have a buddy that went to work for ASA when he was 40, and I thought that was old to be starting! You'll do great and this means one less lawyer on the street!! :rofl::rofl:

Is having a lawyer in the flight levels better having one on the street. :dunno:

Is having a lawyer in the flight levels better having one on the street. :dunno:

Jokes about holding one underwater come to mind...

:)

These lawyers around here make it tough to make lawyer jokes though. They seem to be a rare breed of nice ones.

Maybe that's why they hang out here instead of someplace like Ambulance Chasers of America. ;) ;) ;)

There's even one here that I still owe a steak dinner. Or BBQ. Or whatever he wants. :)

Jokes about holding one underwater come to mind...

:)

These lawyers around here make it tough to make lawyer jokes though. They seem to be a rare breed of nice ones.

Maybe that's why they hang out here instead of someplace like Ambulance Chasers of America. ;) ;) ;)

There's even one here that I still owe a steak dinner. Or BBQ. Or whatever he wants. :)

I can only imagine what the Spin Zone must look like on the ACA website!

The journey continues....two days of form filling, online company policy training and my First Class flight physical complete with EKG, which I've never had done. Was happy to hear I have a normal, healthy heart....despite being a lawyer! :rofl:

Was happy to hear I have a normal, healthy heart....despite being a lawyer! :rofl:

Am suprised they could find one!

(all in good fun, jus' pickin' on a lawyer)

For those interested, I figure it's probably easier to post updates here rather than start another thread....

I just finished the third day of my six week odyssey transitioning from a 36-year GA pilot to a 121 FO flying jets. All I can say is....pinch me! It's been an awesome experience so far, but it's now kicking into high gear. I'm expecting 12-16 hour days with study time....eight in class each day. There are a few in class almost as "mature" as I, but lots of young and middle age oilers, too.

We're definitely drinking from a fire hose, but a tremendously interesting stream is being def to us.

What a ride!

How cool is that!

Congrats.

I have heard of a number of people now who had the hours and made flying for a regional a second career.

Counselor:

Congratulations on the opportunity, and highest praise for pursuing something different, and fun. Mental stimulation keeps you young.

I hope to follow you in some way, some day.

/s/ Spike

PS- Lawyers are good people!

As we near the end of indoctrination week two big tests loom....the indoc test covering the Flight Ops Manual (all the operating standards of the company); and the Emergency Procedures and Limitations test (340 memorization items!) We've formed a study group and get together in the evening to study and review together, which is proving very helpful.

I learned there's actually one guy that's older than me in the class. Another in his late 40s only learned to fly a few years ago, built up enough time and ratings to meet the mins and is enjoying the new challenge with the rest of us! So, never say never!

Indoc finishes tomorrow with a big review session, then a weekend of intense study before the exams Monday and Tuesday. Wish me luck! After that comes Systems...lots and lots of systems!

For a lifelong flying nut, this Is almost too much fun, despite the intensity of the learning process! I can't stop smiling.

Back