What's your go-to Concealed Carry weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IWB: Springfield XDs (Mod 1) in .45
OWB: Beretta M9 with imported Turkish Walnut Grips
Work: S&W M&P9

You all may be able to fly airplanes, but you suck at driving boats. :)

That's the truth, I was onboard when Captain (I use that term loosely) @Radar Contact tried to send us all to the bottom of Kentucky Lake...

i-H5mF8mS-X3.jpg

"What's your go to concealed carry weapon?"

Empathy for the people around me, rather than fear.

Legitimate question I'd like to understand - how can one be empathetic with a psychopath? If someone doesn't care about you, how can empathy influence their behavior? My sense is that doesn't work, other than surrendering to their wishes, which may have consequences I don't want.

Second thought, if a desire to not allow someone to carry results in their death, doesn't everyone who prevented them from carrying share the blame for them dying?

Legitimate question I'd like to understand - how can one be empathetic with a psychopath?
Not everyone around you is a psychopath. Indeed, criminals with that level of psychosis are rare, I think most just want a quick score. Somehow I've managed to exist for numerous decades with no firearms at all. Imagine that.

Although I sometimes carried (before the boating accident), I also sometimes carried a couple of 20s in my pocket as well. If giving an aggressive person $40-50 gets them to go away peacefully, it's a win.

I have a feeling you are all compensating for something.

My favorite CCW is a phone. Certainly saves more lives these days than anything else. Of course I am not sure if the point of carrying around so many guns is to save lives or to take them. I am sure the young kids that find them will know the answer.
To each their own. Your post provides significant insight.

Not everyone around you is a psychopath. Indeed, criminals with that level of psychosis are rare, I think most just want a quick score. Somehow I've managed to exist for numerous decades with no firearms at all. Imagine that.

Not everyone around me is a girl either. How does that come into play in this discussion? If you want to argue the semantics of who qualifies to be called a psychopath then my read is that you want to derail the discussion into irrelevancy.

There are people who don't care about you and will do what they want and they aren't all that rare.

Not everyone around me is a girl either. How does that come into play in this discussion? If you want to argue the semantics of who qualifies to be called a psychopath then my read is that you want to derail the discussion into irrelevancy.

There are people who don't care about you and will do what they want and they aren't all that rare.
I beg to differ. I've been around a rather long time and don't seem to be continually victimized. Perhaps because I use good judgement in my surroundings, who knows. But I am unarmed, unharmed, and unafraid.

I beg to differ. I've been around a rather long time and don't seem to be continually victimized. Perhaps because I use good judgement in my surroundings, who knows. But I am unarmed, unharmed, and unafraid.
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? I’ve never had a house fire but I still have a fire extinguisher in my house. Several actually. And I’ve had training to use it. Everything’s fine until it’s not.

Last edited:
Ruger LCP in .380, 'cuz it drops into a pocket. Also have a snubby in .44, just too heavy.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house? I’ve never had a house fire but I still have a fire extinguisher in my house. Several actually. And I’ve had training to use it.
There is a rather large difference between a fire extinguisher and a firearm. Fire extinguishers really aren't very good at murdering my fellow man. Firearms excellent at that.

There is a rather large difference between a fire extinguisher and a firearm. Fire extinguishers really aren't very good at murdering my fellow man. Firearms excellent at that.
well....you certainly don't want to wait around for a firefighter to put the fire out. o_O

interesting, let's start a thread on "for those of you who carry, how many murders have you done?" when the answer is zero, will you please go away?

Last edited:
Fire extinguisher: Something you very rarely need, and will hopefully never need, but if you ever do you will be VERY glad you have one.

Concealed firearm: Something you very rarely need, and will hopefully never need, but if you ever do you will be VERY glad you have one.

That’s the meat of that analogy.

for those of you doing your best to derail the thread, this isn't a debate on carry or not, whether you agree or not, it's very simple..........for those who DO carry, what do you carry? so why don't you go start your own thread on why you think your opinion matters one bit on whether people should carry or not carry. really, buzz off so we can go back to the pleasant conversation we were having.

For survival scenarios, my go-to used to be to carry a Ruger 10/22 takedown... but then this happened.

https://americanresistancegear.com/product/american-resistance-ar15-breakdown-pistol-556-223/

Mine isn't this expensive one, but I built a similar clone. Apparently the USAF is now carrying something similar in ejection seats.

Mine works right nicely with a 22LR CMMG conversion, so one could take 300 rounds of 22LR for survival in a package that easily fits in a backpack, in a MORE compact space than the 10/22 I was fond of.

Bersa’s have been mentioned. I’ve handled the Thunder .380 and it’s a great little gun and a good choice for concealed carry. I prefer 9mm, and the Ruger LC9 is virtually the same size, so I went with that. But nothing wrong with .380.

As an aside, the Thunder is a close cousin to the Walther PPK. Not dissing Walther’s, but I’ve heard it said that the Bersa is of the same or better quality than a current PPK, and a whole lot cheaper. For those unfamiliar…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersa_Thunder_380

Just be aware, that if you're serious about this, you're going to wind up with a drawer full of them.
Yep, and out of a drawer full of expensive holsters, I always wear a cheap $12 Uncle Mikes. It’s definitely not made for any in/out quick drawing, but then again if you encounter anything you’re only going to draw once anyway. :cool:

I had a SW Bodyguard 0.380. But I soon realized two things. One, it was very hard hit anything accurately with it. Two, my wife did not practice enough to use it well. Where as the revolver can sit in the sock drawer or the glove box for 10 years and requires no maintenance and very little thought or training to use. Still goes bang.

Perhaps because I use good judgement in my surroundings, who knows. But I am unarmed, unharmed, and unafraid.

Perhaps you've been lucky. But I submit that if you're judging your surroundings, there is caution involved, which is a form of fear.

In Raleigh yesterday, there was an attempted kidnapping of a teen girl walking to school in what most would consider to be one of the the best neighborhoods in the city. Being in the right place is no guarantee of safety if there's someone ready to disregard law and norms.

Personally, I try to stay in nice places too. But I also know that bad people can be anywhere and if I need an extra tool then I'm ready.

if you're comfortable with your actions, then great for you. I trust that you don't seek to impose your will on others?

Glock 22. I also have a single stack 27 but the 22 fits my hand better. Also have a Baretta PX4 I keep at another house. I like it a lot. I have a tiny Colt Mustang but it’s too small for me.

This is hysterical. The thread asks what you concealed carry. When I answer nothing you all act like the world is caving in.

Although I sometimes carried (before the boating accident), I also sometimes carried a couple of 20s in my pocket as well. If giving an aggressive person $40-50 gets them to go away peacefully, it's a win.

Definitely will be much cheaper…shooting someone is going to cost you…alot. Lawyers, you’ll lose your gun of course, lawsuits, maybe psychological issues requiring treatment, etc.

This is hysterical. The thread asks what you concealed carry. When I answer nothing you all act like the world is caving in.

I don’t cares whether you carry or not any more than whether you’re vaccinated or not. Your choices are yours alone. Does that make you feel better? :)

In Raleigh yesterday, there was an attempted kidnapping of a teen girl walking to school in what most would consider to be one of the the best neighborhoods in the city. Being in the right place is no guarantee of safety if there's someone ready to disregard law and norms

Neighbor with teen daughters taught them martial arts at an early age. Wife, too. Later taught classes at his church. Sad that our society today seems to be fraying at the edges to such a degree. When concealed carry isn't possible (even pepper spray verboten in schools probably), then alternative forms of self defense are advised. Simple as screaming very loudly and running, briefed ahead of time as we pilots might say. At least have a plan and an assertive attitude. And maybe a smart phone with a panic button. Those and other devices are certainly available. Use everything you've got.

Well, if you want to trace back how it happened...

I asked for advice on how to use empathy to substitute for carry. You jumped in and questioned the request, suggesting that just being careful was enough. Examples were given where being careful was not enough and then you became the victim, persecuted by people who wouldn't accept you not carrying a weapon.

Did I summarize that accurately? It's the way I read it, which isn't always how it was intended.

I will note that one of the last things I said before your declaration of victimhood was:

if you're comfortable with your actions, then great for you.

So you do you. If you can figure out how to communicate why your method can help protect you from being the victim of a crime, then I'm all ears. I still don't have an answer on how empathy does that.

Funny story: For Christmas a year or two ago, as a present to my wife, my mother-in-law wrapped up a gun which had belonged to her deceased grandfather. An old Saturday Night Special with pearl grips. Wife opened it up and the MIL says "be careful, I think it might be loaded". Who wraps a loaded gun aside from John McClane in Die Hard?! So then, I have to take the potentially hot weapon out of the box in a room full of children to inspect/clear it. Luckily, there was no magazine installed or even included, and the chamber was clear. MIL thought the wife could use it as a conceal carry gun, but I nixed that idea. This is chambered in .25ACP and weighs an absolute ton despite being very compact. I bought a couple of magazines for it and a box of shells, but would only use it for entertainment/plinking. From what I've read, .25ACP is next to worthless unless you're just about within arms' reach of the assailant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back