What's your go-to Concealed Carry weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bunch, but got the M&P shield in 9mm, was so pleased with it I got the 45 as well both with ported barrels and sights.
For real everyday concealed carry a single stack works better and is lighter.

Neat thing about the some of the newer sigs (like the P365) is the ability to buy only the FCU (fire control unit) in order to quickly change caliber sizes without having to buy an entirely new gun. There's a lot of push among the weapons manufacturers to include that multiple-caliber ability in some of the newer designs.

Something about a guy with a handle like Checkout_My_Six posting a pic of his posterior . . .
That’s not a posterior.

I've never done CCW because of where I always seem to end up living, but my favorite gun that'd fit that bill is a .40 H&K USP Compact. Out of the box I found the trigger to be too heavy, but once that was fixed I really enjoyed it. Fits my hand exceptionally well and is a pretty good tack driver given its small size.

Here's another with the Ruger LC9. Nice rig.

I have several handguns, but the one I carry most often is my little KelTec P32. Were I shopping today, I’d get the P3AT, but it had not been introduced when I got the .32acp.

Ease of carry is the most appealing benefit.

Even with the extended magazine, that little peashooter is small enough and light enough to be pocket carried in almost any attire. Slipping it into a pocket has become as automatic as pocketing my wallet. It would be nice to have a bit more punch, but with Winchester Silvertips it’s not too bad.

I thought that lighter rounds were better for short barrels, more muzzle energy?
Single stacks for anything smaller than a 45 are uncomfortable to me, so I agree the Plus is more comfortable especially with 13 rd magazine.

The 147gr projectile will have less powder in the case and slightly less energy. For me, the recoil is less ‘snappy’ (more push-like) due to those factors which makes it easier for me to get back on target.

Federal Premium HST (or any other decent defensive round) will do it’s part just fine if I do my part (get rounds in a critical area).

After years living in NJ and then Europe, I'm living in a very pro-gun state that is Constitutional Carry.

Looking at getting a nice CCW. Went to the range yesterday and shot with a few different options. I liked the S&W M&P Shield Plus and the Walther PPS. Did not like the Glock 43X.

What are you guys and gals out there carrying?
x10 what Bob said. Try a bunch out at the range/store and see what works for you.

For me the best fit for my hands was the Shield in 9mm w/ mag base extension for the 7rd mags or just go with the 8rd extended mags. I'll probably be upgrading to a Shield Plus for the increased capacity. Several different versions available that look attractive (high vis sights, red dot, laser, etc.)

Have to say I am quite a fan of the Constitutional Carry law recently passed here, which frankly should’ve always been a thing. That said, I definitely don’t think it’s a bad idea for anyone to still receive some gun safety training. For me the Glock 27 fits my hand well and I’ve always liked .40 to begin with. Dad has an M&P 9mm that I really like a lot too. Hard to say which is better, but for me the G27 is probably the best handgun for concealed carry.

I have a couple P238s for pocket carry (with nice pocket holsters), a P239/9mm with IWB holster and a S&W 1911 with OWB holster for out on the ranch in Montana. That said, I don’t carry much because I live in deep blue CA where criminals are good but guns are bad…

What are the subcompact grips and barrel?
Sorry, that was a typo, it's a 250 not a 225. The P250 is a modular gun that has a common trigger mechanism (that's the part with the S/N) and can be had with a variety of sized grips, slides, and in different calibers.

Nobody asked what your body type is, what type of clothes you wear, where you prefer to carry, whatv wardrobe or other sacrifices you're willing to make, or whether you're open to more than one carry piece. But I still say Sig 365.

Lachlan said:
My current favorite is my wit.
It’s faster than a bullet and razor sharp. It’s kept me alive and well this long, so I know it works. Don’t even need a special jacket or hat to keep it hidden.

That same approach has found a solution to every encounter that I have had
. Half of my opponents did not even know that I was armed. I do believe in Concealed Carry, but not high capacity magazines. I firmly believe in skill. 38 caliber or 9 mm is best, and 5 rounds should be adequate, assuming you have reasonable skills.

My toughest encounter I had a 30-06 M1, and my opponent was an Airborne Sargent who was desperate to avoid
Courts Martial. We negotiated, and he pled guilty and was sentenced before breakfast that morning. There were several very tense minutes before he capitulated. Pleading guilty at Article 16, he avoided a full Courts Martial, and received a lesser sentence, and I never testified. That was important to me as I lived in his barracks, and later shaved at the same mirror as he. He did not ever see my face, so he never realized that I was the guy that caught him.

I prefer my Springfield XD-s 9, appendix or it's an M&P 40 OWB under a jacket.

I do believe in Concealed Carry, but not high capacity magazines. I firmly believe in skill. 38 caliber or 9 mm is best, and 5 rounds should be adequate, assuming you have reasonable skills.
I'm right there with you. And whenever I get in a fist fight, I tie one arm behind my back. If I can't win a fight with just one arm, I deserve to have the **** beat out of me.

Lindberg, I have never faced more than 4 at once, and none of them volunteered to be the first to take another step toward me. All four turned together, and ran as fast as they could, until out of sight.

At that range, I have fired 6 shots into a one inch circle in under 4 seconds. More than once. The possibility of them reaching me alive was near zero. That negotiation started at 5 feet, with my weapon pointed at the leader's face.

I was taught that accuracy was paramount, and I am a believer, but negotiation avoids shooting, as Lachlan posted. I do both very well.

I very rarely carry, I don't frequent places where I feel it's necessary, but when I do it's a Firestar in .40S&W. Dang thing is heavy, though. I'd like to get something in .380 or .32, then maybe I'd carry it more, or maybe a .38 revolver like my wife's.

I never go to places where I feel carrying a gun is necessary. I'm not a cop or a soldier and no one pays me to go anywhere I need to carry a gun. I also don't drive anywhere I feel a seatbelt is necessary, but I always wear one because if I could predict when and where I would need one, I just wouldn't be there.

There are no places carrying a gun is unnecessary, unless it has armed bodyguards willing to protect me.

Lindberg, I have never faced more than 4 at once, and none of them volunteered to be the first to take another step toward me. All four turned together, and ran as fast as they could, until out of sight.

At that range, I have fired 6 shots into a one inch circle in under 4 seconds. More than once. The possibility of them reaching me alive was near zero. That negotiation started at 5 feet, with my weapon pointed at the leader's face.

I was taught that accuracy was paramount, and I am a believer, but negotiation avoids shooting, as Lachlan posted. I do both very well.
That you, Wyatt?

Neat thing about the some of the newer sigs (like the P365) is the ability to buy only the FCU (fire control unit) in order to quickly change caliber sizes without having to buy an entirely new gun. There's a lot of push among the weapons manufacturers to include that multiple-caliber ability in some of the newer designs.

Something about a guy with a handle like Checkout_My_Six posting a pic of his posterior . . .

Yep, I bought two of the 320’s for that reason. My wife has the small grip and mag for hers in 9mm to keep weight down in her purse. I use the carry frame with 17 rd mag for me and can swap to full size if I’m out target shooting. Or like you said I have choice of frames and caliber to suite my needs. I hope other manufacturers head that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sig 365 here. I also carry infrequently which is something I should rectify as it sort of defeats the purpose.

I very rarely carry, I don't frequent places where I feel it's necessary, but when I do it's a Firestar in .40S&W. Dang thing is heavy, though. I'd like to get something in .380 or .32, then maybe I'd carry it more, or maybe a .38 revolver like my wife's.

Back before all my guns were lost in a tragic water skiing mishap, I had a MegaStar, which was the 10mm auto version of the Firestar. Despite being massive, it was the sweetest shooting pistol I ever allegedly had.

I have a feeling you are all compensating for something.

My favorite CCW is a phone. Certainly saves more lives these days than anything else. Of course I am not sure if the point of carrying around so many guns is to save lives or to take them. I am sure the young kids that find them will know the answer.

Yep. When seconds count, the police are rarely more than half-an-hour away.
Even in Dallas, you can't count on the police to save you. I responded to a car-to-car shooting a block away from my house about two weeks ago that happened while I was sitting editing photos. A significant number of rounds were fired and I decided to see what was going on - cautiously, mind you. Found a young hispanic male who'd been shot at and was bleeding and stayed with him until the fire department, and then the police arrived about 4-6 minutes later (I wasn't looking at my watch, and realized later I left my phone on the desk). If the assailants had decided to finish the guy off, the police couldn't have done a thing about it, but I could have, and my phone wouldn't have done anything at all to help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back