What's the mask/vaccine requirement situation in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Francisco requires masks, and proof of vaccination to enter a business or government building.

It's reported that San Fran is getting better about the amount of human poop allowed on the sidewalks. I wonder if you have to show your papers to do that ... :rockon:

NC, on a city by city basis.

I've heard they wanted to follow NY and mandate a vaccination card, but it died over requiring an ID to eliminate fraud.

Fortunately for me, most of the places that are going back to the mask mandate, I don’t really care to visit anyway. And most of the maskers are afraid to leave their houses, so I don’t see them either. Win-win.

I've heard they wanted to follow NY and mandate a vaccination card, but it died over requiring an ID to eliminate fraud.

Is a vaccination card in NY an actual thing? I have friends in NYC and none of them have stated that, neither has my mom (who is very concerned about Covid all around). I travel to NYC every couple of months to see her, but the last time I was there was in June and a lot has changed since then.

Juneau mandates masks for indoor public places. My work wants you to wear a mask on the boat and bus to and from work. About a 11/2 hour trip each way

Schools here and most businesses are mask optional. The state highly recommends it. A nearby large city has a mask mandate.

There are enough people popping up (three of my neighbors, one hospitalized) with COVID here that I wear one out in public (as I have since March 2020). Too many unvaccinated plus the Delta variant. I laid in a couple of boxes of N95s a while back.

San Francisco requires masks, and proof of vaccination to enter a business or government building.
This part is not true. I have been on jury duty at the Hall of Justice for 6 weeks (another story). No proof of vaccination needed to enter, and still open to the public after going through the metal detector. Masks required, however. Last week many indoor spaces required proof of vaccination to enter, including indoor dining. I showed my electronic California record + ID to eat lunch indoors.

Last edited:
Some regression here in SE Michigan. My employer abandoned their return-to-work plans and now encourages people to work from home again. We are now required to wear masks in the office even while at our desks although this does not seem to be enforced. Kroger grocery stores now have a sign stating masks strongly encouraged for all; previously it said masks not required for those fully vaccinated.

My employer now requires masks indoors. I continue to instruct remotely. Some businesses have lots of masks, some have very few.

just got an email from one of the local schools saying masks are now required in all city buildings (city mandate, not theirs)

my employer is requiring everyone to wear masks.....vax'd or un-vax'd.

A few of my friends got fake vax cards......I hear they are easy to replicate.o_O

Last edited:
No gov’t mask mandates in FL. The state Board of Ed has forbidden local school districts from mandating masks, but two (so far) local districts are defying it and implementing their own mandates anyway. Court battle looming.

Most businesses have signs recommending masks for the un-vax’d. Mask use is probably 30% or less and mostly by the elderly or those with health complications.

Local area in Arkansas is a hodgepodge of mask requirements. A good majority are wearing in stores and restaurants even in a lot of the rural areas. The insane hospital rates have most spooked. 99% of FBOs I’ve been to have no requirement or signage.

Caribbean islands are a tad more up in the air. St. Maarten is mostly no masks except indoors on the Dutch side while the French side is required with a curfew. Anguilla is mask required anywhere in public except on the beaches. Also you are confined to your villa or hotel until your test at Immigration comes back negative. They wrist band you with a red or green based on your vaccination status. If you have the Green Band you’re allow to remove it after the test. Red I think is only removable by the Heath Dept. Also don’t get caught in public with your band on. The locals will call the police on you. I saw it happen with a family with red bands after they walked into a beach restaurant.

No gov’t mask mandates in FL. The state Board of Ed has forbidden local school districts from mandating masks, but two (so far) local districts are defying it and implementing their own mandates anyway. Court battle looming.

Most businesses have signs recommending masks for the un-vax’d. Mask use is probably 30% or less and mostly by the elderly or those with health complications.

Except in Federal buildings. For example, here at HQ CENTCOM on MacDill AFB in Tampa where I work, there is a 100% mask wear mandate regardless of vax status. But like you said everywhere else it's optional and here in Tampa I'd say compliance is less than 10% which is OK by me.

Is a vaccination card in NY an actual thing? I have friends in NYC and none of them have stated that, neither has my mom (who is very concerned about Covid all around). I travel to NYC every couple of months to see her, but the last time I was there was in June and a lot has changed since then.

There's an APP that is widely used by the clubbing contingent. I think it is called "Excelsior Pass".

We're required to wear masks in the public areas of our office building (elevators, etc). Lots of restaurant and retail store staff in are wearing masks, even if they only cover their chin.

Yes it’s a thing. My brother went to the movie theater with his girlfriend last week and they asked for proof of vaccination.

No mask mandate on Ft. Lauderdale, but school officials are struggling with governor's office stand.

Court battle looming.

All over a little piece of cloth.

The way I figure, me wearing a mask is a bonus to others. They don't have to look at my face.....

I will wear a mask if it makes others comfortable, otherwise I just keep my distance. I have never been a close talker anyway.

upload_2021-8-23_10-15-28.jpeg

All over a little piece of cloth.

The way I figure, me wearing a mask is a bonus to others. They don't have to look at my face.....

I will wear a mask if it makes others comfortable, otherwise I just keep my distance. I have never been a close talker anyway.

View attachment 99406

Last winter I realized that, whether or not the mask prevents COVID, it was really good at keeping my face warm outside. I think I'll keep wearing it in cold weather even if COVID goes away.

This happened. Didn’t get this from the news, a website, some Forum like this or anything similar. It came straight from the Mom and Dad. They have a child in school. The school had been ordered not to notify parents if a child in the school had become infected with the Corona Virus. By the Principal, the Board, the Mayor or somewhere farther up the chain, I don’t remember. They didn’t find out until 2 weeks later. It has been policy (I’m sure by Statute but haven’t verified yet) in schools for just about ever that parents are notified when a student in the school contracts a communicable disease. Lice also(can you spell cooties boys and girls.) I’d say that this going Judicial is a safe bet.

Last edited:
Most businesses around here range from limited tolerance for people not wearing a mask, to a total FU to mask mandates. Think crowded, elbow room only indoor rooms hosting televised soccer games, and not a single mask. They don't seem to be getting sick, either. But then again most are probably vaccinated. I'm not getting sick either, but then again, I'm probably... oh wait.

My employer requires masks at all times on all their property, regardless of vaccination status.
So does mine, since May of 2020...and my fellow employees and I haven't worn a mask at work even a single time, so the word "requires" is not taken seriously. We're all retirees working at our second career, and we could all walk from the job on a whim, so they haven't pushed us.

It has been policy (I’m sure by Statute but haven’t verified yet) in schools for just about ever that parents are notified when a student in the school contracts a communicable disease. Lice also(can you spell cooties boys and girls.) I’d say that this going Judicial is a safe bet.

Perhaps it's true over there but here it is different. Having worked in a school district I can tell you that many students coming to school with head lice & bed bugs on them are not sent home nor is the information reported to other families. There was a policy in place that when anyone in a school tested positive for C19 that those that had been exposed were to quarantine.

But the requirement to have workers available and the desire of many to not quarantine made the situation one of those "if you feel OK and don't think you were exposed then come on to work, wear your mask, and keep your distance."

OTOH I was quite impressed at the extent the district went to in protecting the children and the constant cleaning and sanitizing that was done although by law no student was forced to wear a mask. All staff was required to wear mask and vaccinations were given at no cost back in March of this year.

If you want to argue over what we should do please go elsewhere so this thread doesn't get locked. The purpose of this thread is for those of us traveling to get a handle on what to expect.

The question is what's the expectation on masks where you've been- not talking about ordinances or advisories, what do most people seem to be doing in practice and what are businesses requiring?

Across rural IL and MO where I spend most of my time it's mostly no-masks. A few places like Wal-Mart are recommending them but not enforcing and in some of those places you might see 1/3-1/2 of the people using them but you are able to go wherever you want without. I have never been asked if I'm vaccinated anywhere nor shown anyone proof of anything. The only places I've been to that require it are health care providers.

Would be very interested to hear from anyone who has been to the Bahamas lately as to how things are working there but I'm sure this info would be interesting/useful to others for all over.
For Ontario, masks are required indoors in all public places and public transit, except when eating. Restaurant tables are spaced out, and there are capacity limits (restaurants only just recently reopened).

The picture for vaccinations is more mixed. Canada is currently the most-vaccinated country in the G7, and one of the top in the OECD, but we still have a long way to go. Each educational institution makes its own decision, but many colleges and universities will be requiring vaccination in the fall unless students have a legitimate medical exemption. In primary/secondary, school teachers and students will not be required to be vaccinated, but will (of course) be wearing masks. Ditto for doctors and nurses. The federal government will be requiring employees to be vaccinated or to do a daily test (unless, again, they have a legitimate medical exemption). The Canadian border is open to Americans, but you need to have a recent negative molecular lab test result (not just a quick test) to cross the border, and you have to be fully vaccinated to avoid a quarantine requirement.

As requested by the OP, no comment on what I think jurisdictions should do. PM me if you'd like to have a friendly debate. :)

Good day.
I have been a long time lurker, (for a number of reasons,), and have seen the few Covid threads, but none that pertain to the hearing impaired folks.
After 46 years, of airplanes, guns, loud vehicles, two (2) wives, one (1) kid, baseball/soccer/basketball parents, all making noise............. well,
I have worn hearing aids for 11 years now.
When the masks were first rolled out, I decided to just stay in, order from the home delivery folks, and live my life.
Well, there are times when one has to venture out, or speak with people on the phone. Those times, having to deal with the masks, background noise, and low talkers, it is mentally and physically exhausting to try and communicate.
On the phone, I usually start with, "Please speak up, I am hearing impaired". Sometimes it works.
In person, I ask them to speak up, please!! The people who talk to themselves, while doing their work, or chew gum, or move their mouth, which in turn, moves the mask, ...I have no idea if they are talking to me, or what.
Exhausting!! Hearing people should try it some day.
I don't know what the answer is, and actually don't care. If, when wearing a mask, and you will not speak up, when I ask you politely, then expect me to have you repeat yourself a few times.
By the by, I have had covid, also the Bird flu, and whatever that Chinese stuff was back in 2000(?) I think... Sars?? Yes I was sick. No it did not rise to going to hospital.
I missed a few days of work, lost some weight, and now I feel pretty confident, my immune system works pretty good.
Back to my lurking, thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
Regards,
Randy

Good day.
I have been a long time lurker, (for a number of reasons,), and have seen the few Covid threads, but none that pertain to the hearing impaired folks.
After 46 years, of airplanes, guns, loud vehicles, two (2) wives, one (1) kid, baseball/soccer/basketball parents, all making noise............. well,
When the masks were first rolled out, I decided to just stay in, order from the home delivery folks, and live my life.
Well, there are times when one has to venture out, or speak with people on the phone. Those times, having to deal with the masks, background noise, and low talkers, it is mentally and physically exhausting to try and communicate.
On the phone, I usually start with, "Please speak up, I am hearing impaired". Sometimes it works.
In person, I ask them to speak up, please!! The people who talk to themselves, while doing their work, or chew gum, or move their mouth, which in turn, moves the mask, ...I have no idea if they are talking to me, or what.
I don't know what the answer is, and actually don't care. If, when wearing a mask, and you will not speak up, when I ask you politely, then expect me to have you repeat yourself a few times.
Regards,
Randy
Randy, I know your pain. I wear hearing aids too, which help, but I never realized how much I read lips until the mask mandates. I virtually don't understand anyone these days when dealing with the masked. Sometimes its too tiring to constantly ask people to speak up, so most times I just nod while not understanding a thing.

Perhaps it's true over there but here it is different. Having worked in a school district I can tell you that many students coming to school with head lice & bed bugs on them are not sent home nor is the information reported to other families. There was a policy in place that when anyone in a school tested positive for C19 that those that had been exposed were to quarantine.

But the requirement to have workers available and the desire of many to not quarantine made the situation one of those "if you feel OK and don't think you were exposed then come on to work, wear your mask, and keep your distance."

OTOH I was quite impressed at the extent the district went to in protecting the children and the constant cleaning and sanitizing that was done although by law no student was forced to wear a mask. All staff was required to wear mask and vaccinations were given at no cost back in March of this year.
Yeah. Whether notification to parents of communicable disease being required by Law may vary from locale to locale. My experience as a parent was being notified. My wife was a Teacher and confirms it was mandatory where she worked. Whether by Health Code Statute or some other Legislative body, I don't know. At any rate I get a little concerned when keeping secrets from parents about their children becomes the way to promote a personal or group agenda. One thing I'm wondering about one thing you said. "...There was a policy in place that when anyone in a school tested positive for C19 that those that had been exposed were to quarantine..." If notification to parents of exposure was not made, then how would they know they were supposed to quarantine their children?

Oklahoma:
No statewide mask mandate and likely will never be (wasn't one before). Probably less than 10% still wearing masks in public, generally the older folk. Most businesses have no mask-mandate, but a few (my son's daycare) require masks for the adults/parents. Schools are a bit hit-n-miss, but I'd wager that 90% have no mask requirement. City of Tulsa still debating about whether to call for masking-up again, but you won't likely see any of the non-Tulsa/OKC cities/towns doing any mandates. Governor leaving the mask requirements up to individuals and businesses to require as they see fit.

One thing I'm wondering about one thing you said. "...There was a policy in place that when anyone in a school tested positive for C19 that those that had been exposed were to quarantine..." If notification to parents of exposure was not made, then how would they know they were supposed to quarantine their children?

I guess it depends on what the definition of "exposed" is.

If there was an obvious case that people were exposed to then the quarantine would happen. But there was the rule about how far away, for what amount of time, etc.

For example, there was a worker that had a child with C19 but they suspected that they hadn't been exposed (they live in separate houses) so they were told to monitor, mask up, keep their distance and carry on. When the same workers spouse tested positive then the worker went into mandatory quarantine.

Good day.
By the by, I have had covid, also the Bird flu, and whatever that Chinese stuff was back in 2000(?) I think... Sars?? Yes I was sick. No it did not rise to going to hospital.
I missed a few days of work, lost some weight, and now I feel pretty confident, my immune system works pretty good.
Regards,
Randy
I have started just smiling and nodding and looking at my watch and giving them the time of day.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back