What to do?

Its happens very infrequently, not that it cant happen but its a very tall order...hell even with prior 121 or military its still a tall order and cut-throat competitive.

You will always hear those "my buddy stories" but the reality is its less than a 5% chance if you just have pure P91 time. At the last WIA conference Delta said flat out they don't hire civilian pilots without 121 or 135 time.

The Majors have to have something to measure you to their standard by and prior 121 or military makes it very seamless for them to do so .
Thanks. Delta is really one where I would love to spend my career. FedEx is another (isn't it everybody's? :D). I'm really good at aspiring towards companies that love prior military experience...

I guess my next step would be some sort of 135 experience as much as I'd like to avoid it.

If by major you really mean legacy or SWA - like taters said it's not easy. A lot of hiring at legacies right now is being driven by preferential interviews or flows from the regionals, or from the military. It's hard to be hired directly off the street even with a lot of 121 experience. I do have a friend that made the leap to my airline, but he was crazy qualified - Chief Pilot, flew Gulfstreams all over the world, 10 type ratings, and so on. Even then, I got the interview in less than a quarter of the time it took him to get his, and I didn't have half the background he did. But I had 121 time.

But I *do* think it's more possible if you look at the LCCs - JetBlue, Virgin America, or Spirit. Lots of pure corporate/charter guys get hired over there, and it might be a more palatable place to hang your hat and get 121 experience than a regional airline. I have a few friends that have done that, and two plan on sticking out their careers there (both are at JetBlue).
Thanks for the advice. I'd like to avoid LCC just because of what they are. I know I won't get anywhere if I'm picky. I have my perfect career picked out... But I'll just see what options I have when I get to the fork in the road.

I didn't mean to hijack, but this is somewhat relevant to the OP.

Thanks. Delta is really one where I would love to spend my career. FedEx is another (isn't it everybody's? :D). I'm really good at aspiring towards companies that love prior military experience...

FWIW, while FedEx pays well, QOL is better at DAL. I have a friend who jumped ship from FedEx and now is a MD-80 FO at Delta and much happier.

I guess my next step would be some sort of 135 experience as much as I'd like to avoid it.

If your goal is to go 121 (including FedEx and UPS), I wouldn't focus on any specific carrier. Apply everywhere you'd be willing to work. Delta is definitely the prettiest girl at the dance at the moment, but these things change often. At least at the moment, it's still really competitive, and you're best off just throwing your app out there to everyone and focusing on making your resume look as good as possible. By all means daydream about Delta and FedEx, but don't blow off the job fair being attended by United because of it. :)

As far as 135, if you're willing to do that, I think I'd take a hard look at the LCCs. The 121 time is valuable, and to a company like FedEx, the bigger airplanes will help too. It'll also give you a good taste of airline life. Who knows - you might just run screaming back to corporate. ;)

If your goal is to go 121 (including FedEx and UPS), I wouldn't focus on any specific carrier. Apply everywhere you'd be willing to work. Delta is definitely the prettiest girl at the dance at the moment, but these things change often. At least at the moment, it's still really competitive, and you're best off just throwing your app out there to everyone and focusing on making your resume look as good as possible. By all means daydream about Delta and FedEx, but don't blow off the job fair being attended by United because of it. :)

As far as 135, if you're willing to do that, I think I'd take a hard look at the LCCs. The 121 time is valuable, and to a company like FedEx, the bigger airplanes will help too. It'll also give you a good taste of airline life. Who knows - you might just run screaming back to corporate. ;)

Your advice has been helpful. Thanks a bunch.

That exactly what my grandfather did - apply to every single airline out there. He finally retired with NWA on the DC-10 in '95 with one hell of a career behind him. In all honesty, I know most of the realities behind it all and how to go about it. 121 is not my goal. It's just where the most stability seems to be.

I really enjoy my job now. If the company keeps expanding like it is now, I don't see any reason to leave.

NetJets is a possibility. But, there are about 30 pilots in this FBO right now and I have yet to see one smile. Once again, like I said, I'll just have to see what my options are when I get there. I'm not quite there yet. Thanks again.

Edit: I think I just saw one smirk.

Just wanted to give you all an update. I've decided that the airlines is the way to go for me. I'm going to stick to instructing as I have 1200 hours and will just build the rest of my multi time in my flight school's Seminole. The goal is to be at regional while I'm still 22! Looking forward to it.

Just wanted to give you all an update. I've decided that the airlines is the way to go for me. I'm going to stick to instructing as I have 1200 hours and will just build the rest of my multi time in my flight school's Seminole. The goal is to be at regional while I'm still 22! Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the warning!

Good luck!

Good for you in knowing what you want and what you think is the best path there.

Good luck and safe flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another update! My student's dad picked up an MU-2 this week and he offered to take me up for some flights. I now have the opportunity to get some MU-2 time. I have about 1250TT now.

mu2_zpsepnkezlc.jpg

That's the second MU-2 I've seen with the 5-bladed props installed. I've noticed these spin counter-clockwise. -10's? Why change it up?

Looking at pictures of Garrett's, some spin clockwise, some counter-clockwise...

Thats an interesting development. I know you'll update us once you get some time in it.

Its happens very infrequently, not that it cant happen but its a very tall order...hell even with prior 121 or military its still a tall order and cut-throat competitive.

You will always hear those "my buddy stories" but the reality is its less than a 5% chance if you just have pure P91 time. At the last WIA conference Delta said flat out they don't hire civilian pilots without 121 or 135 time.

The Majors have to have something to measure you to their standard by and prior 121 or military makes it very seamless for them to do so .

I use to fly for a now defunct jet fractional ownership company. Literally hundreds of our guys, including myself, went directly to majors with no 121 experience. That said, all had thousands of hours of jet time.

That's the second MU-2 I've seen with the 5-bladed props installed. I've noticed these spin counter-clockwise. -10's? Why change it up?

Looking at pictures of Garrett's, some spin clockwise, some counter-clockwise...
I believe the 5 bladed props are a lot quieter. We picked the plane up in SC at a place that specializes in MU-2 maintenance. They have a really good operation. The plane is very equipped.

Another update. Waiting on my driving record so I can fill out the Airline Apps section then I'll be submitting my application. Wish me luck. Sitting at 1300 and will be finishing off my multi time in the next two weeks

Another update. Waiting on my driving record so I can fill out the Airline Apps section then I'll be submitting my application. Wish me luck. Sitting at 1300 and will be finishing off my multi time in the next two weeks

Good luck... I have no doubt a regional will call within a week.

Don't you need 1500?

No phone interview. You just have to publish your app on Airline Apps and wait for someone to call.

That's what I meant. It should have been a few hours and you will have offers at ever airline in America.

Looks like I was correct with my "within a week" prediction.

Got the call for 9E. Interview next Thursday.

Jordan, I'm betting you will get more than one interview/offer. All regionals are not created equal. You should do some homework to find the best fit for you.

Congratulations, Jordan! Good luck and study hard...
Thanks! Already hitting the books. I have a really good handle on the IFR stuff. The METAR/TAF remarks are a pain. I'm also studying Mach tuck, coffin's corner, Dutch roll, swept back advantages/disadvantages. I'm also trying to put together some stories for the TMAAT questions. I'm excited!

Thanks! Already hitting the books. I have a really good handle on the IFR stuff. The METAR/TAF remarks are a pain. I'm also studying Mach tuck, coffin's corner, Dutch roll, swept back advantages/disadvantages. I'm also trying to put together some stories for the TMAAT questions. I'm excited!

TMAAT is huge these days. Also knowing some company history and current knowledge.

TMAAT is huge these days. Also knowing some company history and current knowledge.
Exactly. Reading the gouges it seems like everyone is saying they want to get to know and it's a very straight forward and relaxed interview.

Exactly. Reading the gouges it seems like everyone is saying they want to get to know and it's a very straight forward and relaxed interview.

You seem pretty bright.. The regional airline interview will be no problem for you. Use it as a learning tool for down the road at at major interview.

You seem pretty bright.. The regional airline interview will be no problem for you. Use it as a learning tool for down the road at at major interview.
Yea it's my first interview haha. I didn't even need to ask for my current CFI job. Perks of being the Chief Pilot's student.

Back