What the hell? 70s music

Lots and lots of good music posted here!

But to the person who brought up Boy George/The Culture Club, all I can say is...

Back in late 82 and early 83 I was known to look at the radio and mumble "To answer your question George; yes. Yes we do want to hurt you."

I've always traveled for work, always loved music so I listened a lot and long ago got to the point where, if it's ever been in the top 40, then I never want to hear it again (and "classic rock" stations live in the old top 40 world...and make me gag). I've tended towards the deep for quite some time. Edward the mad shirt grinder comes to mind. Nothing but 10 minutes of good jammin':

Last edited:
Lots and lots of good music posted here!

But to the person who brought up Boy George/The Culture Club, all I can say is...

Back in late 82 and early 83 I was known to look at the radio and mumble "To answer your question George; yes. Yes we do want to hurt you."

I've always traveled for work, always loved music so I listened a lot and long ago got to the point where, if it's ever been in the top 40, then I never want to hear it again (and "classic rock" stations live in the old top 40 world...and make me gag). I've tended towards the deep for quite some time. Edward the mad shirt grinder comes to mind. Nothing but 10 minutes of good jammin':

I hear you. Clear Channel is the worst thing to happen to radio IMO, luckily You Tube has picked up the slack. It used to be local bands got exposure by bringing tracks to the local radio station. If the DJ liked it, they played it. I remember when you could drop off a tape or record to the KSHE DJ through the window by the drive in, and grab a bumper sticker with a pig smoking a joint on it.:rofl: No chance to do any of that now, although Sweetmeat has gotten his joint back from what I've seen. After Nancy Reagan they had to take it away.:lol:

I used to like catching local bands on local radio as I drove cross country.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they changed the face of rock & roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci5SZx3VI_U

Nauga,
who knows who killed Bambi

Love 'em. Full stop. End of story. Also love their successors, The Clash. 'Cept for maybe Combat Rock.....

(Before anyone quibbles, I don't mean ACTUAL successors, that would be PIL, I mean spiritual...)

If you like Tull, I really think you'll like this concert from about seven years ago

[Yt]3BWSXYBNyWU[/Yt]

Nice! I don't think any other rock group managed to integrate so many styles and traditions into their music -- and do it all so well. Folk, blues, rock, progressive, very strong Celtic presence, classical, and even opera.

Songs From the Wood is a good example because it contains a little bit of each of the above, and then some.

Tull truly was one of the best bands of any era, not just the 1970's. More than almost any other, they always were a band, not a set of individuals who happened to be on the same stage.

Rich

I'm a 70's fan... One of the best bands in history did the bulk of their work during that decade. It's too damb bad kids today don't even know the names Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham.
They *may* have heard the name Led Zepplin.

No so, my man. Although we're no longer kids (32), my wife and I frequent concerts featuring bands from the 60's and 70's, and we always see as many youngsters as old timers.

Last edited:
Love 'em. Full stop. End of story. Also love their successors, The Clash. 'Cept for maybe Combat Rock.....
Same here. 'cept for the Clash part. Always thought they sounded way overproduced - but heard they were much better live. They all seem sort of mainstream now (well, the stuff that still can get airplay), and it's just a matter of time before we hear "White Riot" in a car ad. :eek:

(Before anyone quibbles, I don't mean ACTUAL successors, that would be PIL...)
...and The Professionals, who weren't too bad either.

Nauga,
who was not born too late

Last edited:
No so, my man. Although we're no longer kids (32), my wife and I frequent concerts featuring bands from the 60's and 70's, and we always see as many youngsters as old timers.
I'm truly glad to hear it. I have asked several young people about Zepplin, and they never heard of them. When I mention "Stairway to Heaven", there is a bit of recognition, but that's it.

Nice! I don't think any other rock group managed to integrate so many styles and traditions into their music -- and do it all so well. Folk, blues, rock, progressive, very strong Celtic presence, classical, and even opera.

Songs From the Wood is a good example because it contains a little bit of each of the above, and then some.

Tull truly was one of the best bands of any era, not just the 1970's. More than almost any other, they always were a band, not a set of individuals who happened to be on the same stage.

Rich

Agreed, the Tull was one of my favorites.

Back