What the hell? 70s music

Honorable 70's mention and I'd cast a vote for one of the greatest albums of all times.

418849429_14bd995230.jpg

We literally wore this album out and had to buy another one I remember. :)

Honorable 70's mention and I'd cast a vote for one of the greatest albums of all times.

418849429_14bd995230.jpg

We literally wore this album out and had to buy another one I remember. :)

That, Steve Miller Greatest Hits, and Bat Out of Hell, I went through many tapes of, but I kept my albums in good shape.

See post 52 in this thread...

Indeed I did miss that. I'm pretty sure in the movie the song they play is not from IV though.

Last edited:
I've watched that piece multiple times in the past. A tour de force performance by the Mad Dutchman, Thijs van Leer.

Also listen to the guitar virtuosity of Jan Akkerman. Nowadays, you can hear lots of guitarists that play like that. In 1971, Jan was pretty much it.

Focus was my favorite band while I was growing up during that era. They're still one of my favorites. Most of their stuff was very different than Hocus Pocus, not so much crashing guitars and manic yodeling. Like most prog rock, it's pop/rock music with a classical sensibility.

My personal favorite cut is "Hamburger Concerto". If you have a spare 20 minutes you should give it a listen. It plays out like a piece of classical music, but with a more modern sensibility, and it's the most massive piece of pop music I've ever heard.

I thought it was side one of Led Zeppelin IV? At least that's what Mike Damone said...
Spaghetti basket, coke no ice.

Nauga,
havin' some food and learnin' about Cuba

but.....this is what's playing tonight (my kids think I'm going nuts)

In high school, my buddy had a Vega with an 8-track. Stranglehold was just long enough to get from school to home. I heard that song nearly every afternoon my senior year.

I tried but I was born after effects and recording got a bit more crisp.
I can't listen to Hendrix, zepplin, etc I tried real hard but the recording quality and fuzzy guitars are like watching a black and white TV.

That said, I have horrible taste in music. I could listen to this all day long.
https://youtu.be/qnZtGDFu3k0?t=1m21s

I tried but I was born after effects and recording got a bit more crisp.
I can't listen to Hendrix, zepplin, etc I tried real hard but the recording quality and fuzzy guitars are like watching a black and white TV.

Humbuckers and a Marshall are meant to be fuzzy...damn kids....

That might be the weirdest combo of "let's just rock hard, then give a bunch of blow to the gang, and.......ah screw it, just let him yodel". Lmao. :D

HOLY CRAP!
I missed this comment.

We need to get together over beers!

Funny:):)

Also listen to the guitar virtuosity of Jan Akkerman. Nowadays, you can hear lots of guitarists that play like that. In 1971, Jan was pretty much it.

Focus was my favorite band while I was growing up during that era. They're still one of my favorites. Most of their stuff was very different than Hocus Pocus, not so much crashing guitars and manic yodeling. Like most prog rock, it's pop/rock music with a classical sensibility.

My personal favorite cut is "Hamburger Concerto". If you have a spare 20 minutes you should give it a listen. It plays out like a piece of classical music, but with a more modern sensibility, and it's the most massive piece of pop music I've ever heard.

Studebaker Hawk and Alice's Resturant are similarly massive, though I grant neither one meet 'pop' standards.

It was the best they could do at the time w/ what they had.

-Not posted from a tandy computer :D

W T F? The electronics kids keep trying to reproduce that sound and failing mostly.

Have a ham radio friend who paid for his new airplane a few years ago building tube amps in his garage.

He managed to get the newbies convinced he's got "the sound". They sell for unholy amounts of money. Wish I'd have thought of that.

I think you may mis-understand the reasoning behind the "Humbucker" guitar pickup.

Not being overly critical, but they were designed to 'buck the hum'. As long as the pickup is setup right, on the right frame it's quite smooth.

I guess this woudl be on what the kids would call my "play list?"

I never really liked much of the 70's music, and the stuff I did like didn't sound like "70's" music at all. I liked to listen to stuff like:

Saga. Canadian band. Pioneered the MOOG synthesizer.

And Yello, the Swiss Disco band. This song was 80's but they started in the late '70's.

Ha. I guessed this was about Focus before I clicked the link. You should see it live. :eek:

Saga. Canadian band. Pioneered the MOOG synthesizer.
Eek. Saw them in '81 or so after they caught the MTV wave...not a fan :rolleyes: Moog pioneers only if you discount minor players like Walter/Wendy Carlos, Rick Wakeman, Jan Hammer... ;)

And Yello, the Swiss Disco band. This song was 80's but they started in the late '70's.
I will reluctantly admit that I've been looking for an affordable pressing of 'Claro Que Si' for years.

And the Hair Metal generation belittling earlier generations for their music styles makes me laugh. You don't blame me for disco and I won't blame you for the Culture Club and Wham.

Nauga,
who doesn't think it's history if you lived through it.

You know, we laughed and made fun, but the bottom line was that Boy George had a very pretty singing voice.

I remember everyone saying "he's weird! but he sure can sing!"

Flame away, because I'm secure in my manhood. :lol:

You know, we laughed and made fun, but the bottom line was that Boy George had a very pretty singing voice.

I remember everyone saying "he's weird! but he sure can sing!"

Flame away, because I'm secure in my manhood. :lol:

No flames here. Although that's 80's. :nono:

Culture Club could knock out some incredible stuff.

"Church of the Poison Mind" is one of them with Helen Terry doing an amazing job with backing vocals. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLLDX7m68U

Last edited:
No flames here. Although that's 80's. :nono:

Culture Club could knock out some incredible stuff.

"Church of the Poison Mind" is one of them with Helen Terry doing an amazing job with backing vocals. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLLDX7m68U

Yeah the eighties was like Acid rock on aspirin.

The war on drugs deal and anti-cocaine ads took hold and all the good acid rock and hard hitting solo licks kind of went the way of the do-do.

Back