What product to clean your windshield?

OK, So I tried the lemon pledge thing. Not impressed. It left a smear which took effort to clean off.

I also tried the Novus 7100 Plastic Polish kit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCYRZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This stuff worked very well at removing deeper scratches.

For daily cleaning I believe I will continue to use Clear View.

If you had "deeper scratches" no amount of Lemon Pledge will ever get them out.

Why are you getting scratches in your windshield?:dunno:

Prist acrylic, plastic, and glass cleaner

If you had "deeper scratches" no amount of Lemon Pledge will ever get them out.

Why are you getting scratches in your windshield?:dunno:
Didn't figure the pledge would help with the scratches. Just figured it might be a descent cleaner option. Somewhat of a let down for me at least.

I have had 1 longstanding scratch in the top of my canopy where (I believe) the folks at my home field ran my small plane under the wing of a high wing Cessna in a community hangar rash incident.
This week I removed the canopy in order to replace the fabric liner around the periphery. Upon reinstalling the canopy by myself without the help I should have sought, I inadvertently allowed a canopy supporting strut to scratch the inside.
So, between the two scratches, I finally decided to do something about it.

We use Prist at work and I use the same thing on my aircraft. Really it's just an aircraft Pledge though. Sometimes (today) I go out to the pad and use the dew that formed overnight for removing bugs. At periodic intervals I use a cleaner wax for scratches. Also have used micro mesh for deep scratches with good results.

OK, So I tried the lemon pledge thing. Not impressed. It left a smear which took effort to clean off.

I also tried the Novus 7100 Plastic Polish kit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCYRZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This stuff worked very well at removing deeper scratches.

For daily cleaning I believe I will continue to use Clear View.

Have some scratches on my windscreen and a + points balance on Amazon. One Novus 7100 kit enroute, price = $0.00! :yes:

Plastic cleaner purchased at napa. Visa paper towels. Done it for YEARS! No problems. Same used by FBO on all his aircraft.

Last edited:
Plastic cleaner purchased at napa. Visa paper towels. Done it for YEARS! No problems. Same used by FBO on all his aircraft.

Paper towels.....yeah that's the ticket, on plexiglass, yeah right! :yikes:
Bad advice, really dumb FBO. REALLY!

They must sell windshields. What's your commission?

Another for the too lame to read file:

This message is hidden because Jimmy cooper is on your ignore list.

Last edited:
Paper towels.....yeah that's the ticket, on plexiglass, yeah right! :yikes:
Bad advice, really dumb FBO. REALLY!

They must sell windshields. What's your commission?

Another for the too lame to read file:

This message is hidden because Jimmy cooper is on your ignore list.

You must be low time or just ignorant. I have almost 5000 hours the FBO around 22000 hours. How bout you big boy?

Dihydrogen Monoxide in a spray bottle.

Spray on, let set for 60 seconds or so and wipe off with a good cloth..

I have some for sale for only $15/bottle - PM me and I'll send some out this weekend...

brian];1521960 said:

Hey, I have some of that. I use it on the wings to get bugs off.

(I filled an old Meguiar's Touch Up Wax bottle from the airplane wash faucet one day in desperation. And it works better than the $$$ stuff that was in the empty bottle before the H2O. I usually spray the entire wing and let it sit for a few minutes, then just wipe. Way easier than the wax.)

Hey, I have some of that. I use it on the wings to get bugs off.

(I filled an old Meguiar's Touch Up Wax bottle from the airplane wash faucet one day in desperation. And it works better than the $$$ stuff that was in the empty bottle before the H2O. I usually spray the entire wing and let it sit for a few minutes, then just wipe. Way easier than the wax.)

My hangar neighbor got me to using H20. Works great getting bugs off the wings and even works well when I get the gear good an muddy.

Interesting on the wax - he has been trying to get me to use a little liquid wax in a second bottle. The paint on my -35 is a little weak - but I might give it a go anyway..

... Say - you wouldn't be flying off a grass strip in arkansas??

brian];1521960 said:

Spray on, let set for 60 seconds or so and wipe off with a good cloth..

I'm not a fan of water because it's more work to get a streak-free finish. But, you are 100% on the money on the "let it set" part of the equation. People expect to be able to spray and wipe immediately. Life becomes much easier, regardless of product, if you give the bugs time to rehydrate.

I spray all the leading edges at once, then circle back and wipe down the stuff I sprayed first.

You must be low time or just ignorant. I have almost 5000 hours the FBO around 22000 hours. How bout you big boy?

Oh great... Here we go. A D measuring contest. Do you think anyone cares what's in you log book or how many hours you have worked somewhere? Really...nobody cares.:yawn::yawn:

Oh great... Here we go. A D measuring contest. Do you think anyone cares what's in you log book or how many hours you have worked somewhere? Really...nobody cares.:yawn::yawn:

Good call.
What did Forest say...stupid is as stupid does? Paper towels, so lame...:yesnod:

I'm not a fan of water because it's more work to get a streak-free finish. But, you are 100% on the money on the "let it set" part of the equation. People expect to be able to spray and wipe immediately. Life becomes much easier, regardless of product, if you give the bugs time to rehydrate.

I spray all the leading edges at once, then circle back and wipe down the stuff I sprayed first.

I guess it is the fancy car washing "micro fiber" rags I buy, but I don't get streaks. Not even on the windshield ....

consuela-214x300.png

So I ordered some stuff from Aircraft Spruce and threw in a bottle of Brillianize, 'cause, why not.

It really does a good job on windows. But it's amazing on the clear nav/position light covers and landing light covers. Brought those back from dull to brand new looking. Very happy with the results.

I use ComposiClean spray wax to clean bug guts from the leading edges. Over time it has built up a nice shiny wax layer that makes the bugs wipe off more easily.

Based on others' recommendations I have been using 210 plastic polish/cleaner on my windows, and it works very well:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/210cleaner.php

However, the 210 smells suspiciously lemony...it might just be "aviation grade" Pledge.

I still use a kit from Sporty's with helicopter plexi cleaner and Sontara (or something like that) towels.

My hangar neighbor cleans his constantly with NON AMMONIA 409 and blue, disposal shop towels that come on a roll. I'm probably going to go toward his method when my existing supplies run out.

Did I point out that the 409 has to be NON AMMONIA?

Back