What product to clean your windshield?

Well, I'm glad you said it first! I wasn't quite going to phrase it like that but rather:

Does cleaning the glass with a circular motion create a "halo effect" (or scratches like I've also heard) any more than straight line rubbing or...

...are most windshields scratches swirls simply because this is the motion that 99% of people use?

I think it's the latter.

I've tried googling it and the only thing I find are random claims on various pilots web boards with no backup. I haven't been able to find any legitimate authoritative source to confirm or dispel the notion.

I'd be interested to see it if anyone finds something.

I agree, only advantage to up and down that I can see, is if you do have some junk on your towel and scratch the windshield it would be less distracting to have a vertical scratch compared to a swirl scratch :dunno:

Not to belabor this, but the only chatter on using Pledge for acrylic (Plexiglass) are anecdotal endorsements from motorcycle guys mostly, and some aircraft guys. One of those guys asked Johnson to comment in writing, this is what he got back:

[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please know we have not tested this product on the surfaces you've described so we cannot recommend it. We design, formulate and test every product for specific household tasks. That's why we always recommend using products according to their label directions.[/FONT]

When a manufacturer refuses to list or endorse its usually for legal reasons. Why wouldn't they test it over the decades? They are not saying, but since they are not saying there is no definitive verdict on it based on the expertise.

Maybe there is no discernible difference, maybe there is and it can't be seen with the naked eye, maybe it doesn't matter. But amortizing the cost of use over time, a single can will easily last a year...a cheap price to protect a high priced piece of the aircraft pilots stare at for entire flights.

But hey, each to his own...

Last edited:
I just wanna know how to get plexus for same price as pledge. Whether or not you HAVE to use plexus... I don't care. I've used it and it's pretty good. Other stuff work too? Sure. But I know IF I could get plexus for pledge prices, I'd use plexus.

The brillianze thing looks like it's worth a shot.

Not to belabor this, but the only chatter on using Pledge for acrylic (Plexiglass) are anecdotal endorsements from motorcycle guys mostly, and some aircraft guys. One of those guys asked Johnson to comment in writing, this is what he got back:

[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please know we have not tested this product on the surfaces you've described so we cannot recommend it. We design, formulate and test every product for specific household tasks. That's why we always recommend using products according to their label directions.[/FONT]

When a manufacturer refuses to list or endorse its usually for legal reasons. Why wouldn't they test it over the decades?

Well, let's see. I'm selling a few million cans a year to little old ladies who are keeping their sewing machine cabinets clean and somebody asks me if a market that will sell ... at MOST a few thousand cans a year to bozos who might use the rag that they used to wipe down the machine shop shards on an expensive plexiglass windshield if they would test it on plexi.

My answer as somebody that wants to stay in business for a while is to tell the airplainers to go take a hike. No, I will NOT test it, not because I believe that it won't work just fine, but if I do, I open myself to a whole BUNCH of lawsuits from you bozos who want to blame everybody but yourselves for your stupid actions.

OK, I'm going to say it once and not defend it. This is my 60th decade as a pilot, instructor, mechanic and IA. I've been taught by the best. My earliest job was with the airlines and over in the engine shop under cover should the FAA come by was a 55 gallon drum of Marvel Oil. I was taught how to use it, its limitations, and why it probably worked.

My first flight instructor used Pledge, told me how to use it properly, and that HE had been using it for a number of years and I've been using it for the past 60 years quite successfully. Without any ill effects.

If you want to disagree with me, have at it. Just list your chops for doing so.

Jim

I don't know why it is that you can't say that you've been using Lemon Pledge on your airplane windows without a bunch of people who have never used it jumping all over you.

THE GUY ASKED ME WHAT I USE AND THAT'S IT

End of story

Silvaire.. it's the internet, of course that's going to happen.

That said, I'm going to try it. What the hell. I'm not ordering any more Prist. Leaves a haze I have to work too hard to get off. And I can use it on the wings, too.

It's all kinda trivial and silly, however I get a kick out of the people who insist on not using pledge and also speak in absolutes tend to be the less experienced pilots here.

It's all kinda trivial and silly, however I get a kick out of the people who insist on not using pledge and also speak in absolutes tend to be the less experienced pilots here.

I noticed that as well.

And not just about windshield cleaning products.

Here's an opinion from what I think is a newbie about the utility if an instrument rating: "Anyone else doing it [getting an IR] is more after a merit badge than anything all that practical given the time/expense and rare usage if flying below FL18."

Sheesh.

BTW, I have a vague recollection of a Pledge ad touting it's many uses showing someone cleaning a motorcycle windshield. Anyone else recall that, or am I imagining it?

In any case, I did come across a testimonial from a fellow that had used Pledge on his motorcycle windshield for 40+ years to no ill effect, as seen below:

128016d1279230903-pledge-furniture-polish-rat-bike1.jpg

Last edited:
I use LP Aero windshield cleaner and the pricey disposable towels sold for the purpose. I've used Pledge and a handful of other products over the years and find they all work to some degree.

Seems to me that there are products that 'polish' with some fine abrasives (LP and many other), products that somehow fill fine scratches with some chemical magic (Pledge and many others), and other stuff that just dissolves greasy bug stuff (soaps) which seems short of what we want to do.

I'm too careless with reusable towels, microfiber and otherwise, to stop using disposables.

If we want to play dueling anecdotes:

Anecdote #1:

This is my Tiger the day we delivered it to its new owner:

14599726857_edfb1af6bd_c.jpg

Most of the window cleaning from 1992 to 2003 was with Pledge, with rare applications of paste wax.

As I said, those side windows were quite crazed and hazy when I bought it, to the point I thought I was going to have to replace them. Over the years they cleared up quite nicely between the Pledge and the wax.

Just curious - does anyone have any personal or anecdotal evidence of an airplane windshield or side window being damaged by Pledge?

Anecdote #2:

My Sky Arrow side windows after 6 years of Pledge and maybe one year of Turtle Wax Ice:

14207555007_632dc6c5df_c.jpg

OWT or not, I agree with CTLSI in that I do try to wipe in straight lines, generally in the direction of the air flow, and avoid the whole "circular motion" thing. May not help, but certainly does not hurt.

Anecdote #2:

My Sky Arrow side windows after 6 years of Pledge and maybe one year of Turtle Wax Ice:

14207555007_632dc6c5df_c.jpg

OWT or not, I agree with CTLSI in that I do try to wipe in straight lines, generally in the direction of the air flow, and avoid the whole "circular motion" thing. May not help, but certainly does not hurt.

This is obviously "on the level".....:wink2:

Prist, but you do have to rub it a little harder. It will streak at at first, when you put a little extra elbow grease into it, it comes out SUPER clear and nice.

Prist, but you do have to rub it a little harder. It will streak at at first, when you put a little extra elbow grease into it, it comes out SUPER clear and nice.

Well, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I bought 6 cans of the stuff so I'd like to use it up, but it streaks and leaves a "haze" behind. If I follow up with a clean cloth, I can get it off but...

Well, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I bought 6 cans of the stuff so I'd like to use it up, but it streaks and leaves a "haze" behind. If I follow up with a clean cloth, I can get it off but...

Use Lemon Pledge or Turtle Wax Ice detailer on the haze .

I think one of the biggest advantages of Pledge is that you're walking down the aisles with your list:

Eggs
Butter
Bread
12 pack of Lagunitas IPA
Chips
Aircraft window cleaner
Salt....

I think one of the biggest advantages of Pledge is that you're walking down the aisles with your list:

Eggs
Butter
Bread
12 pack of Lagunitas IPA
Chips
Aircraft window cleaner
Salt....

:D

____

I use LP Aero windshield cleaner and the pricey disposable towels sold for the purpose. I've used Pledge and a handful of other products over the years and find they all work to some degree.

Seems to me that there are products that 'polish' with some fine abrasives (LP and many other), products that somehow fill fine scratches with some chemical magic (Pledge and many others), and other stuff that just dissolves greasy bug stuff (soaps) which seems short of what we want to do.
Just wanted to add that I think the plexiglass polishes like LP also have some of whatever Pledge has. But it's all just guessing... Fact is I don't really know. Just settled on a combination that's worked for me over the years.

Interesting statement of fact.

For background, for how many years have you been cleaning aircraft windshields, and how many different products have you tried?

I ask, because we have pilots opining here who have tried myriad products over 10, 20, 30, even 40 or more years before coming to their current preference.

My current and former preference have already been elucidated in this thread. I have tried Plexus and still have some Maguire's products for plexiglas in my garage.

But I found other products that work at least as well for a fraction of the cost. As have others here.

Use what you want, but there's no "best product", just as there's no "best aircraft construction method" or "best Light Sport aircraft" - in spite of your assertions.

Why the turbod*ck response? I didn't see you post a similar response to those who swear by Pledge. It's his opinion, obviously. Get over it... and yourself.

Windshield Cleaner

(and I KNOW I'm gonna get flamed for posting this)

This is running out of steam......put a fork in it.. :dunno:

What products do people recommend to clean their windshield that won't damage them?

Cotton shirt and water to clean, then microfiber towel to push the water aside.

I remove dirt with water and a clean rag, trying not to push down too hard.

After it dries I go back over it with Plexus.

I intend to try the Lemon Pledge thing. Plexus always seemed like high-dollar pledge anyway.

I use Rejex on the leading edges and nose. Rejex is just high-dollar car wax. I'll get regular-dollar car wax next time.

I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze or Turtle Wax...either one works fine for me;)

Please do.

But don't neglect the Turtle Wax Ice Detailer. I really do think it works at least as well but with less effort.

And please report back what you think!

What??? Actual DATA from a user??? What are you thinking of, man. THis is supposed to be a wild a$$ guess group. :mad2:

:wink2: Jim

Back