What product to clean your windshield?

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
What products do people recommend to clean their windshield that won't damage them?

Somewhere in my life I was informed by someone who called the maker of very expensive Learjet windshields and they said, "We use Lemon Pledge." FWIW.

dtuuri

I started with Prist: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/fb/cleaning_windshield/FBprist3.php

But I've noticed it leaves a haze. I'm not sure if it's me, the cleaner or the rags, but the Plexus a friend loaned me doesn't have the problem. OTOH, Plexus is apparently made from the tears of left handed red headed virgins because it's $20 a can.

So I'm also looking for a good, SAFE, cheap cleaner.

Somewhere in my life I was informed by someone who called the maker of very expensive Learjet windshields and they said, "We use Lemon Pledge." FWIW.

dtuuri

I was told the same thing on mooneyspace. I've been using pledge for about a year now. No problems, and it works well. Nothing like the smell of 20 year old interior and lemon scent. :lol:

145177_front200.jpg

I used Pledge for decades, and it works marvelously. Still do on occasion.

But recently someone recommended Turtle Wax Ice Detailer, and it works even better.

Spray+detailer.jpg

End result is similar, but the Turtle Wax product wipes off more easily.

Really worth a try.

Last edited:
I used Pledge for decades, and it works marvelously. Still do on occasion.

But recently someone recommended Turtle Wax Ice Detailer, and it works even better.

Spray+detailer.jpg

End result is similar, but the Turtle Wax product wipes off more easily.

Really worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. Although, if I use that product, I won't be able to get this song out of my head while I am cleaning.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf22Bhn5lZU

I admit I'm a little nervous about using stuff that doesn't say "SAFE FOR AIRCRAFT WINDOWS NO REALLY ITS FINE USE ME". When the prebuy turned into an annual, they found the seals around the windows were starting to go. I didn't like that 80's green tint anyway so I had all the plexi replaced with smoke tint. $4k in all.

Now, I have scratch free windows I obsess about. The detailer looks interesting... does it actually say "safe for plexiglass" on it?

Now, I have scratch free windows I obsess about. The detailer looks interesting... does it actually say "safe for plexiglass" on it?

Not that I know of.

Anecdotally, a Grumman Tiger I bought had "smoky" side windows. Years of Pledge applied regularly gradually cleared them up.

I have used Pledge on motorcycle windshields, visors and aircraft windows for decades to no ill effect. For what it's worth.

Water can be used, with microfiber. The best product for plexiglass windshields is Plexus Cleaner. It was made for aircraft windshields and adds a protective layer while cleaning them.

Find it at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/n8qswnu

Also, make sure you spray it on, then wipe in one direction, up/down, or side/side. Never circular.

Last edited:
Started using Pledge about 15 years ago, so much better than that gawd awful Mcguiars polish we used to use. The fact is the windows are plastic so the less you touch them and the less rubbing the better and whenever possible it's best to wash dust particles off prior to laying a rag on it but when you can't do that the more lubrication you can apply prior to wiping the better. A spray bottle of clean water is a good initial step.

Also a warning on Micro-fiber towels. Yes they are wonderful things but keep your window cleaning rag in a plastic bag or something because when you set them down anywhere they are like Velcro and will pick up and literally embed any sharp edged object that is close like a pebble or sheet metal shaving and that could seriously ruin your day when you wipe it across your new windshield :eek:

BTW - Pledge works pretty well on leading edges too and it's cheap. You could probably get a whole pallet of the stuff at Costco for what some of these products are charging.

I started with Prist: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/fb/cleaning_windshield/FBprist3.php

But I've noticed it leaves a haze. I'm not sure if it's me, the cleaner or the rags, but the Plexus a friend loaned me doesn't have the problem. OTOH, Plexus is apparently made from the tears of left handed red headed virgins because it's $20 a can.

So I'm also looking for a good, SAFE, cheap cleaner.

Sprayway Window Cleaner. Non-ammonia formula and about 3 bucks a can.
Home Depot carries it. It's very similar to Prist. Pledge also works fine.

Last edited:
The best product for acrylic windshields is Plexus Cleaner.

Interesting statement of fact.

For background, for how many years have you been cleaning aircraft windshields, and how many different products have you tried?

I ask, because we have pilots opining here who have tried myriad products over 10, 20, 30, even 40 or more years before coming to their current preference.

My current and former preference have already been elucidated in this thread. I have tried Plexus and still have some Maguire's products for plexiglas in my garage.

But I found other products that work at least as well for a fraction of the cost. As have others here.

Use what you want, but there's no "best product", just as there's no "best aircraft construction method" or "best Light Sport aircraft" - in spite of your assertions.

Plexus, Prist, Lemon Pledge, etc. depending upon what's available at the time. All do well. Never tried the Turtle Wax product, wasn't aware of it.

Also about 3 or 4 times a year I buff my windows inside and out with NuFinish. That stuff is god's gift to Plexiglas (or whatever our windows are made of). Over a couple of years it actually removed some crazing in my door glass that was from not being adequately protected during the paint stripping process. It really cleaned them up nicely...I still replaced them a few years ago though because they were deeply scratched also.

Interesting statement of fact.

For background, for how many years have you been cleaning aircraft windshields, and how many different products have you tried?

I ask, because we have pilots opining here who have tried myriad products over 10, 20, 30, even 40 or more years before coming to their current preference.

My current and former preference have already been elucidated in this thread. I have tried Plexus and still have some Maguire's products for plexiglas in my garage.

But I found other products that work at least as well for a fraction of the cost. As have others here.

Use what you want, but there's no "best product", just as there's no "best aircraft construction method" or "best Light Sport aircraft" - in spite of your assertions.

Go here and read about the history, mission, and background of Plexus, developed specifically for the aviation industry.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

As an aside, Pledge has a lot of uses.

Whenever I decowl my engine, I go over it with Pledge for plastic, rubber and painted parts and CorrosionX for aluminum parts.

It makes a huge difference over time. The Pledge especially seems to keep plastic and rubber parts more supple and keeps them from cracking.

I do the same for my bikes. I just installed stainless brake lines on my 1999 K1200RS, which involved fairing removal:

14778791265_af48e449e9_c.jpg

Bear in mind that bike is 15 years old, has over 80,000 miles and has been ridden hard and put away wet. I've had the fairings off of newer bikes where the dust and grease and grunge and fur made working on them a real mess.

Like I said, a few minutes spent on this pays great dividends!

Last edited:
Nice K12 Fast Eddie! I just sold my '99 and am not surprised to see yours looking so great. They are built well and run forever.

and I use Plexus + microfiber FWIW. :)

That's it.

I bet if you took a survey of total time and what folks use to clean windshields you'd find quite a lot of lemon pledge :)

when everything you buy for your plane is at "bend over" prices, it's nice to get something that only costs a few bucks.

I've heard that before, but what is the reason?

Water can be used, with microfiber. The best product for plexiglass windshields is Plexus Cleaner. It was made for aircraft windshields and adds a protective layer while cleaning them.

Find it at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/n8qswnu

Also, make sure you spray it on, then wipe in one direction, up/down, or side/side. Never circular.

I've heard that before, but what is the reason?

A circular motion may cause a halo effect in the plexiglass that over time will defract the light in such a way as to render the windshield almost useless or at a minimum irritating when sunlight passes through it.

For each pass of the cloth over the windshield, it's best to go bottom to top or top to bottom and not press too hard. Let the chemical do the work.

I use a tiny drop of liquid detergent, water, and bare hand. Dry with a soft cotton cloth. I guess I must be cheap.

Tim

And you'll rub and rub to get the haze off - hate that stuff. Found this at Tap Plastics and gave that other crap away:
http://www.brillianize.com
When my friends try it at our fly outs they all dump their P stuff.

I get a chuckle or of guys who grab a halfway clean rag off the counter and their can of pledge.... does a great job...on crop dusters and rentals.

Last edited:
I use a tiny drop of liquid detergent, water, and bare hand. Dry with a soft cotton cloth. I guess I must be cheap.

Tim

Ordinary water is supposed to be sufficient, but if you get a lot of bugs, as I do where i fly that would require rubbing too hard.

The Plexus product is more than a cleaner, it also makes a UV bonded layer that protects the plexiglass from damaging heat and sun. It also microscopically fills the uneven surface of the plexiglass. The more you use it, the easier it is to clean between applications.

The Plexus product is more than a cleaner, it also makes a UV bonded layer that protects the plexiglass from damaging heat and sun. It also microscopically fills the uneven surface of the plexiglass. The more you use it, the easier it is to clean between applications.

Uhh
Yeah, lemon pledge does more or less the exact same thing

Last edited:
Uhh
Yeah, lemon pledge does more or less the exact same thing

i see a lot of 'people' attesting to using Pledge on their motorcycles and windshields.

I went to the Johnson website http://tinyurl.com/ola7qd5 . They do not list cleaning plexiglass with their product. Seems the company making Pledge would want to talk about that since it is apparently selling big among the urban myth users out there.

Anyway, I bought Plexus by the case and got it for about the same price as Pledge. I will stick with the company that specifically makes their product to use on plexiglass. My windshield would cost $10k to replace.

Water and micro fiber work great. If you need something stronger ,the plexi cleaners work great. The old stand by was 210 ,now I use plexus.

i see a lot of 'people' attesting to using Pledge on their motorcycles and windshields.

I went to the Johnson website http://tinyurl.com/ola7qd5 . They do not list cleaning plexiglass with their product. Seems the company making Pledge would want to talk about that since it is apparently selling big among the urban myth users out there.

Anyway, I bought Plexus by the case and got it for about the same price as Pledge. I will stick with the company that specifically makes their product to use on plexiglass. My windshield would cost $10k to replace.

Past few turbine aircraft companies I worked for have used pledge.

Most AG guys use it

But hey if the company is going to be buying it, I'll wipe the windshield with 100 dollar bills soaked in Dom Pérignon if it works :dunno:

10k windscreen eh? What do you fly?

Last edited:

Tens of thousands of Pledge users for seven decades must be wrong!!! Finally some REALITY!!

The Plexus product is more than a cleaner, it also makes a UV bonded layer that protects the plexiglass from damaging heat and sun. It also microscopically fills the uneven surface of the plexiglass.

You watch too much TV!:yesnod:

dtuuri

Yep...works great and leaves that lemon fresh scent after use in inside..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is no reason. It is an OWT.

Lemon Pledge is great.

Rub it any direction.

Well, I'm glad you said it first! I wasn't quite going to phrase it like that but rather:

Does cleaning the glass with a circular motion create a "halo effect" (or scratches like I've also heard) any more than straight line rubbing or...

...are most windshields scratched in a swirling pattern simply because this is the motion that 99% of people use?

I think it's the latter.

I've tried googling it and the only thing I find are random claims on various pilots web boards with no backup. I haven't been able to find any legitimate authoritative source to confirm or dispel the notion.

I'd be interested to see it if anyone finds something.

Last edited:
Back