What is your shortest Cross country?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Only criteria is departure and arrival airports cannot be the same airport.

I'll add this from the other thread too :D
1. Must have been PIC and sole manipulator of controls
2. No layovers except for fuel
3. Personal flight (non-commercial)

I did KMSP to KRST in the CRJ a few weeks ago! 66 nm. Lots of 51 nm XC flights with students. I guess 50.001 nm is the "shortest" you can legally do.

You didn't specify which definition of "cross country" to use. Using the most basic definition in 61.1:

Sundance, OK (HSD) to Wiley Post, OK (PWA), 5.0nm. Total hobbs time from startup to shutdown, including taxi and runup, was 0.2.

When I was based at W32 in MD, I always wanted to fly to VKX, 1.1 nm to the west. But the whole FRZ made it more of a hassle than I wanted to bother with.

Using the ">50nm" definition, KLFI (Langley AFB, VA) to KECG (Elizabeth City, NC), is 50.1. Done that a few times.

Last edited:
Nashua to Bed (KASH to KBED) when I bought my airplane back <mumble> years ago.

Kansas City downtown to Fairfax. Right across the river from each other. 1.5 miles max.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to the technical definition of 50 miles.

KDTO -> 52F
9.3 NM
4 min

My first logged flight was KGKY-KGPM followed by the even shorter (winds 180) KGPM-KGKY.

MCD -> 83D
for fuel... no fuel on Mackinac Island

5nm, about a 3 minute flight

KMWC -> 02C

More times than I care to admit, since there's a driving range, supper club and rock climbing gym within walking distance of 02C and friends/family have asked "Can we fly there?" To which I respond "OF COURSE we can!" [climbing through 400' AGL] "There's the airport."

The radios get interesting, though, because in that short (6nm... ~4min) flight I end up talking to KMWC tower, checking in with KUES tower and then switch over to 02C CTAF.

This thread proves how passionate we can be for flying when we will all fly walkable distances.

KMWC -> 02C

More times than I care to admit, since there's a driving range, supper club and rock climbing gym within walking distance of 02C and friends/family have asked "Can we fly there?" To which I respond "OF COURSE we can!" [climbing through 400' AGL] "There's the airport."

The radios get interesting, though, because in that short (6nm... ~4min) flight I end up talking to KMWC tower, checking in with KUES tower and then switch over to 02C CTAF.

Do you get flight following?

Jeez, there are lots of neighboring airports around.

KPAO-KNUQ, for instance. You can't get much shorter than that. On a nice summer Saturday afternoon, KPAO's right base turn for 31 is as far as the left downwind for KNUQ's 32L.

From KOKB- Oceanside Municipal Airport
To KCRQ- Mc Clellan-Palomar Airport
6.5 nautical miles SE

Last night getting fuel. I landed at Monee, IL and their card reader was broke. Flew 21 miles to Gary, IN to get fuel.

KLAS-KHND, 7nm.

Talked to clearance delivery in LAS, and even though I said VFR he still thought I was IFR, and got the longest routing I've ever heard in my life, with a radial from VOR, 2 airways, a direct and something else. Not rated, so just corrected could I have that in VFR please :)

Ended up being a 30 minute flight anyway, thanks to long vectors around the heli traffic over the strip.

Only criteria is departure and arrival airports cannot be the same airport.

I'll add this from the other thread too :D
1. Must have been PIC and sole manipulator of controls
2. No layovers except for fuel
3. Personal flight (non-commercial)

From Boeing Field to Renton Municipal....separated only by Beacon Hill. Their Class D boundaries meet over the top of the hill.

Bob Gardner

NUQ-PAO. 4 nm per Garmin Pilot. My last solo x/c before checkride. Fuel pump at NUQ was broke, so instructor said to fill up at PAO before heading out.

I was sole manipulator, but not PIC. On my dual night cross country for the private ticket after flying to sulphur springs, we came back and did some landings at Addison after the tower was closed. No one was there and it was pretty cool. Anyways, after that we made the long 2NM trip back to the homebase at airpark just north of Addison.

Last edited:
FXMM to FXMU for fuel, 8.9nm, has to be up there for me. (Lesotho, Southern Africa)

Lakeland Linder, to South Lakeland, less than three miles. Even less if you takeoff from the grass strip at the south edge of the field and go to South Lakeland.

KFFZ - > KPAN : 51.5 - many many times - good breakfast there :)

Back