What is your shortest Cross country?

When I lived in the Bay Area, I made a lot of flights between KRHV and KSJC. It is 6 NM center to center, but shorter when you depart KRHV and do a base entry to KSJC RWY 30R. We operated flight schools at both airports in the 1970's.

KUES -> 02C 0.3 NM. Still put 0.8 in my book though!

Did short/soft field operations for the second flight of my first BFR. We quit the first flight due to weather closing in.

From KOKB- Oceanside Municipal Airport
To KCRQ- Mc Clellan-Palomar Airport
6.5 nautical miles SE

Same here. Also MYF to SEE 9nm. I think the winner would be anyone who could have flown from the Cessna factory field to McConnell AFB. The runways are less than a mile apart.
Also KSDM to MMTJ is about 2nm. I'm sure many have done that.

To keep my license current, I used to fly from Ames to Boone, I don't know exactly how far, it depends if you wander around checking out the crops on the way or not, but ten miles maybe, and then have coffee there at the airport. I would do that almost every Thursday morning, weather allowing.

KPAO-KNUQ, for instance. You can't get much shorter than that.

Sure you can. Sonoma Skypark (0q9) to Sonoma Valley (0q3), 2.1nm. Kingdon Lodi (o20) to Lodi Airpark (l53), 2.1nm. KPAO-KNUQ (4.1nm) is nearly double those.

OSU-DLZ many times for landing practice. About 10-15 miles.

This thread proves how passionate we can be for flying when we will all fly walkable distances.

KHII - 49X is but 4 nm. But if you want to walk be prepared to also swim for the Colorado River is right there. Just to get to the river is across burning sand then through thick bulrushes, then clamber up the other side. Of course, one could walk the entire way but that involves either 45 miles south to Parker or 20 north to Needles than back north or south, respectively. Taking the ferry from AZ to CA is cheating.

W39 to 7WA5 is just under 4 nm. That is a beautiful place.

Other than that, I think KPOC - KCCB, 5 nm, is my next shortest.

Did short/soft field operations for the second flight of my first BFR. We quit the first flight due to weather closing in.

LOL. Well, you have my short xc to Capitol beat. Any chance it was a 36 departure to a "straight in" on 3? Because that would be pretty funny.

Used to fly Meadowlark (L16)-Long Beach [NOPARSE](LGB)[/NOPARSE] or back every other day or so. About 8NM straight line. L16 is now a strip mall :(

Nauga,
all over the place

Last edited:
Skyhaven (KRCM) to Flying Horse Field and back; 2.0nm each way. A friend had never landed on grass, so I figured why not?

My shortest IFR flight (in IMC) was Creve Coeur (1H0) to Spirit of St. Louis (KSUS); 7.8nm

My shortest IFR flight (in IMC) was Creve Coeur (1H0) to Spirit of St. Louis (KSUS); 7.8nm
I practiced Creve Coeur to Arrowhead (<2NM) a lot before first flight of my RV. Arrowhead was long-abandoned and I never touched down so it doesn't count :D

Nauga,
whose hangar had a high-water mark

Airnav says 3.9nm. How do you get a distance of 0.3?

Wichita dwellers would be very well situated for topping this poll. They have several pairs of airports separated by about two miles.

When I was based at W32 in MD, I always wanted to fly to VKX, 1.1 nm to the west. But the whole FRZ made it more of a hassle than I wanted to bother with.

Yep, that's my closest. I'm based at VKX, but do maintenance at W32. I can take off from VKXDXR runway 24, make a left turnout to enter the left base for runway 5 at W32. I've done it in one click of the Hobbs before, start up to shut down.

I suspect 1N2 and 49N on Long Island are two closest airstrips you can find...actually I think you can taxi between them. (Edit, Yep it's offically .2 NWM between the two). Anchorage and Lake Hood might be a close second. (Edit: at 1.2nm, no it's not)

Last edited:
Flying across the river is short and fast--4nm, and quick even with the tower (KHTW-->KHTS and back). The drive is about 25 minutes; flying, I cross the river on extended left base for 30.

I used to fly to work, KHTW --> I41, a whopping 8nm.

On vacation, I needed fuel and went from Kitty Hawk KFFA to Dare County KMQI, about 6nm into the Sound (from the Outer Banks to an island between the Banks and the mainland).

While taking lessons at KHTW, I learned to land at Ashland, KY KDWU, 14 nm away, because our runway is 3000' and obstructed, theirs is 5000' and approaches at both ends are over the River and clear. Went there many times . . .

Last edited:
Looking at the TAC for 1N2 and 49N, what's the deal with Calverton to the north?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3C8
Publicly owned, private use, permission required to land. What's up with that? It's not military, the town owns it, but you can't use it w/o permission.

10000ft paved runway with a VOR on the field. Some fiefdom?

I have a private strip on my farm. I used to have a neighbor 2 miles to the west who also had an airstrip. That would probably be the shortest.

Between "real" airports, 3M0-KFLP, for fuel. 3.9 nm.

Mark

Looking at the TAC for 1N2 and 49N, what's the deal with Calverton to the north?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3C8
Publicly owned, private use, permission required to land. What's up with that? It's not military, the town owns it, but you can't use it w/o permission.

10000ft paved runway with a VOR on the field. Some fiefdom?

It's a former Navy field built for Grumman to build and test military aircraft. It was busy up until the 90s and has been in sort of limbo since then. The town who owns has been trying to develop it for non-aeronautical purposes. The only aeronautical activity I'm aware of is skydiving right now.

I suspect it would have been used as a civilian public use airport if it weren't already so close to Brookhaven and Grabreski.

I suspect 1N2 and 49N on Long Island are two closest airstrips you can find...actually I think you can taxi between them.

Imagine that -- logging cross country without flying.

Last edited:
I have a private strip on my farm. I used to have a neighbor 2 miles to the west who also had an airstrip. That would probably be the shortest.

Between "real" airports, 3M0-KFLP, for fuel. 3.9 nm.

Mark

Heh, I thought BPK was closer. I guess that is my shortest one as well.

if I rolled out on rwy 17, wheels up but then settled back down, then I back taxied, does that count? if so, then 22 1/2 feet is my shortest xc.

if I rolled out on rwy 17, wheels up but then settled back down, then I back taxied, does that count? if so, then 22 1/2 feet is my shortest xc.

or would that count as a layover?

This thread proves how passionate we can be for flying when we will all fly walkable distances.

Fuel on our field is ridiculous, so we fly to Cleburne to fuel up. KFWS-->CPT is about 14nm.

Your observation is spot on, though. Door to door, Hicks (T67 for those not local) is 40mins from my house. Last trip there we drove 25 mins to Spinks (FWS), took 20 mins to get the plane out and pre-flight, discovered we needed gas, so we flew 10 mins to Cleburne (CPT) for gas, 15 mins to fill up, and then about 25min flight to Hicks. Nobody in my crew saw anything wrong with it.

16X to 3TX2
0 miles according to Foreflight
0.65nm centerline to centerline physical distance.

Last edited:
Only criteria is departure and arrival airports cannot be the same airport.

I'll add this from the other thread too :D
1. Must have been PIC and sole manipulator of controls
2. No layovers except for fuel
3. Personal flight (non-commercial)

Done more than once and in both directions:

kAEG -> kABQ and verse vica ~10 miles, depending on which runways are used

Did KEIK to 7CO0 once, that's 4NM.

Several KAPA to KFNL flights, 53NM with good practice on talking to Denver approach on every flight.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

I once flew from HFD to EHT, Pratt & Whitney's Rentschler Field, which is now a stadium.
.5nm

I once flew from KODO to KMAF in a Conquest II.
Was over real quick.

KLAW (Lawton, OK) to KFSI (Post Field, Ft Sill, OK) and return for display. Distance of 5nm.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Back