What foods do you like that not many others like?

Anchovies, sardines, brussels sprouts, sharp cheese, habanero peppers, mussels, sushi (w/raw seafood).

Can't necessarily say I like it, but I eat it for it's health benefits: Kale. Everyone else in my family hates it, has a strong bitter taste

I love liver and onions. Most people I know think I'm nuts. I also like kale, raw.

Adding:

Dill pickles of any variety but the more garlic and more spice the better.

Have you tried Wickles? Spicy dill pickles, a little sweet. Unique flavor,there's a hot pepper in most jars. Made in the next town over from me. Look in your grocery store or Wally World.

Not a fan of Spam, but would certainly enjoy the same-named macadamia nuts.

Kimchee is good, the hotter the better. If it's too spicy, just add a little more rice. Spicy salsa is also great. Now my mouth is watering, gotta go find some chips for the salsa!

Bring on the nigiri sushi and sashimi! Don't care for the texture if snails or most octopus, all chew and no flavor other than what they're cooked in, but octopus doesn't absorb much and is more rubbery. Don't get me started on the fermented soybeans (natto) that is sometimes squirted over rice. But I ate things living in Japan that were as tasty as they were unidentifiable.

Fiddleheads, butter and vinegar. once a year delight.

I love liver and onions. Most people I know think I'm nuts. I also like kale, raw.

I'll pass on the liver, but I do like kale. I like most bold-tasting foods. Except for liver.

I'm told that kale is one of those rare vegetables that should be cooked slightly to release its nutrients, preferably by steaming. But I also like it raw in salads.

Rich

Dominos pizza. It's simply the best, but I'm the only one I know that thinks so.

Pickled or Harvard beets...salt on the watermelon, lots of pepper on cantaloupe, lima beans, field peas, Polish dill pickles, cucumbers soaked in tarragon vinegar...

One thing I've never understood it the great American custom of drowning everything in ketchup. Ketchup is only for fries. :D

Redundant, because if it's not raw, then it's "sushi w/ training wheels" as I call it. :)

Nigiri is sushi. All the rolls are for wannabes.

I know that, but to many folks, the term "sushi" covers the whole realm. I've had people tell me they "love sushi," but they only like the cooked kind. If I'd said "nigiri," there might've been lots of head-scratchin'.

Pickled herring

Lutefisk

Hakarl - Icelandic fermented shark

I'll add my vote for cuttlefish as well.

I know that, but to many folks, the term "sushi" covers the whole realm. I've had people tell me they "love sushi," but they only like the cooked kind. If I'd said "nigiri," there might've been lots of head-scratchin'.

Yeah, I know, I was just yankin' your chain. :cool:

And there are a few cooked things that are good too. Eel nigiri being one of my favs and:

Octopus salad.

Rich

as Rich said octopus salad (or squid salad, depending on the restairant) is very tasty.

The only thing I like better than sushi is Cajun.

Last edited:
I'm mostly comparing what I enjoy vs my family...

Northern thing, but I always enjoyed scrapple. Also like Avocado/tunafish, avocado/chicken combinations. Calamari or just squid with Sushi like others have said. Fried pickles, regular pickles (dill/garlic, etc).

Lamb (father refuses to eat it), sardines/canned fish. Meh..that's about it..prolly think of others later..

Have you tried Wickles? Spicy dill pickles, a little sweet. Unique flavor,there's a hot pepper in most jars. Made in the next town over from me. Look in your grocery store or Wally World.

I think I have but now I want to order some and see. I'm spoiled by grandmas pickle recipe for homemade ones.

Liver, liver sausage, liver cheese etc is always a treat.

Pork brains are rather good, remind me of corned beef hash if I am honest.

Squirrel is also good.

Tried a lion burger a few years ago, yes an actual lion, tasted a bit lean but wasn't,to that bad. The restaurant got so much flak for serving kitty cat that they have since cut back on it.

I'm mostly comparing what I enjoy vs my family...

Northern thing, but I always enjoyed scrapple. Also like Avocado/tunafish, avocado/chicken combinations. Calamari or just squid with Sushi like others have said. Fried pickles, regular pickles (dill/garlic, etc).

Lamb (father refuses to eat it), sardines/canned fish. Meh..that's about it..prolly think of others later..

YUK! The only time I wouldn't eat something my wife cooked was when I came home from work and there was this stench coming from the kitchen. I can't even stand the smell of it cooking.

If it's green it's trouble, if it's fried get double.....

Fried hard and covered in ketchup......

(my diet before I turned 30)

When I was growing up, we were the kind of poor that the kids didn't realize we were poor. When times were really lean, my mom would make a particular sandwich that we would actually come to crave. Peanut butter, butter, pickle and lettuce sandwiches.

We were poor too. One night we'd have boiled hotdogs, the next we'd have hotdog soup. :)

It wasn't exactly that bad but close. We had a huge garden big enough for a community. My mom used to cut up boiled hotdogs and put them in sauerkraut.

Lots of interesting foods listed here. Having been to Korea a couple of times against my will, I'm sampled the kimchee but not Miss Kim. I felt that Miss Kim had been kissed a lot and I'd suffer by comparison. One thing I will not eat is rodents. If it has buck teeth, I'm not eating it. Also, I won't eat frog legs because my dad and I'd go "frogging" at night (that's when you hunt them with a spotlight and a gig) and I'd have to hold their legs while dad cleaned them. The smell of amphibian guts is still fresh in my mind and to this day I cannot eat frog legs.

For combating heartburn a bit of baking soda in water does the trick. ...tastes like drinking the ocean though, but the actual ocean tastes worse

One thing I've never understood it the great American custom of drowning everything in ketchup. Ketchup is only for fries. :D

Great on hash browns and even scrambled eggs too!

I agree but try this. A guy named Graham kerr, a chef used to be on tv and said " my favorite food is a hamburger cooked like this, 85 percent lean, chuck, mix in some fine chopped onion, a little crushed garlic or ( garlic salt) and some tomato ketchup" I immed. Perked up an ear as I really dig hamburgers. You also fry the Berger in ketchup. What your cooking is really a meatloaf in a paddy but the frying it in ketchup really turns the corner. I also like the Swedish creamed herring with onions , and liver and onions at times. Be sure and pick up some" pick a pepper " hot sauce , made in Jamaica mon and put it on spam and eggs, hamburger, home frys, so good.! Don't forget the mrs. Fannings pickles! How about at the airshow when the wagon shows up with the Italian sausage ,green peppers ,onions, on a real Italian sub roll. It can't get much better!

Last edited:
Scrapple I didn't like, but with enough maple syrup it was OK. Every Thanksgiving I make Copes Corn and love the taste. Most people will try it but no one has ever asked for seconds. Braunschweiger and a red onion with mustard; same for cow tongue.

I agree but try this. A guy named Graham kerr, a chef used to be on tv and said " my favorite food is a hamburger cooked like this, 85 percent lean, chuck, mix in some fine chopped onion, a little crushed garlic or ( garlic salt) and some tomato ketchup" I immed. Perked up an ear as I really dig hamburgers. You also fry the Berger in ketchup. What your cooking is really a meatloaf in a paddy but the frying it in ketchup really turns the corner. I also like the Swedish creamed herring with onions , and liver and onions at times. Be sure and pick up some" pick a pepper " hot sauce , made in Jamaica mon and put it on spam and eggs, hamburger, home frys, so good.! Don't forget the mrs. Fannings pickles! How about at the airshow when the wagon shows up with the Italian sausage ,green peppers ,onions, on a real Italian sub roll. It can't get much better!

Ah yes, The Galloping Gourmet...I remember watching that show as a kid.

Forgot scrapple, gotta be rappa scrapple, YES! and grits. Make the grits , leave them in the refrigerator over night , next morning cut them into strips about inch and a half wide, ( they are about quarter to half an inch thick if you put them correctly in a pan in the fridge. Fry the strips of grits in a little butter till just a little brown. This was a 1930s depression breakfast handed down by my grandmother. Really good!

Forgot scrapple, gotta be rappa scrapple, YES! and grits. Make the grits , leave them in the refrigerator over night , next morning cut them into strips about inch and a half wide, ( they are about quarter to half an inch thick if you put them correctly in a pan in the fridge. Fry the strips of grits in a little butter till just a little brown. This was a 1930s depression breakfast handed down by my grandmother. Really good!

Grandma did that in the Depression with leftover grits . . . Couldn't afford to waste anything!

Love the squid dinner at the Chinese restaurant, too.

Scrapple is best with eggs, it ain't much all by itself. Treat it like funny-shaped, not crisp bacon that you can't pick up and bite, you'll change your mind. Eggs and scrapple on the fork together, follow with a bite of biscuit.

Back