What foods do you like that not many others like?

Black licorice/fennel/anise. Seems a lot of people hate that flavor.

Fennel is underrated, nice substitute for celery in scungilli salad.

Grew up in a Portuguese household. My absolute favorite meal that my grandmother would make me was 'dobrada,' which is tripe. In addition to the tripe, she would add cow's ear and tongue to the stew. It is absolutely delicious, and my father and I would eat serving after serving. My mom (whose mother was doing the cooking) couldn't stand it. I just wish I had gotten my grandmother's recipe before she passed...

Also, ox tails and grilled whole sardines.

Octopus, eel, squid (calimari), escargot (snail), salmon any way, swordfish any way, pate, liverwurst, sushi and sashimi. I like chorizo and linguica; grilled, soups, patties, chile, pizza, eggs. Cranberry sauce with turkey. Apple sauce.
When I was young, my Mom would make salisbury steaks using veg-all. Most of our vegetables came from cans (veg-all a popular item). So much so that I didn't realize there were fresh vegetables in the stores. Fresh came late summer from roadside stands. And whatever happened to them.

With a nod to my Norsk heritage, I love pickled herring. However, cannot handle lutefisk.

My chili and tacos. My parents and roommates quickly learned not to steal these foods. I make them extra hot.

Mincemeat filling on ice cream! Because you can never have too much sugar.

Deep fried bovine testicles are tasty. A lot of folks won't try them since they are.....well.....balls, but they are good. Lamb testis are also fine eatin'.

Denverpilot, I don't think you can use a food item in this thread that has an entire section dedicated to it at nearly any grocery store, anything that is offered in the gallon sized bulk jug, and/or anything that can be obtained from the concession stand at a sporting event. The dill pickle is a staple. ;)

I started to say gizzards and livers, but since they are offered from under the heat lamp of nearly any quick stop around, they are apparently quite popular.

With a nod to my Norsk heritage, I love pickled herring. However, cannot handle lutefisk.

Sung to the tune from "O Christmas Tree":

O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, with such a strong aroma
O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, you put me in a coma
You smell so strong, you look like glue
You taste just like an overshoe
But Lutefisk, come Saturday
I think I'll eat you anyway.

Beans, brown rice, TVP, tofu, tempeh, seitan, quinoa, spelt, broccoli, capsicum, spinach, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, polenta, swiss chard, onions, garlic, whole wheat bread and biscuits, buckwheat pancakes and waffles, chutneys, veggie burgers, vegetarian chili, squash curry, and many many others. I doubt most people would eat anything we cook in the Steinholme.

Beans, brown rice, TVP, tofu, tempeh, seitan, quinoa, spelt, broccoli, capsicum, spinach, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, polenta, swiss chard, onions, garlic, whole wheat bread and biscuits, buckwheat pancakes and waffles, chutneys, veggie burgers, vegetarian chili, squash curry, and many many others.
All of the above although TVP and seitan can be kind of hit-or-miss for me. On the carnivore side; tripe, beef tongue, soft tendon, chicken liver, pickled pigs' feet, most any seafood, raw or cooked. The few things I don't like include beef liver (kidney is OK), mackeral, and balut. Definitely balut.

Nauga,
the omnivore

Beans, brown rice, TVP, tofu, tempeh, seitan, quinoa, spelt, broccoli, capsicum, spinach, bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, polenta, swiss chard, onions, garlic, whole wheat bread and biscuits, buckwheat pancakes and waffles, chutneys, veggie burgers, vegetarian chili, squash curry, and many many others. I doubt most people would eat anything we cook in the Steinholme.
I'm good with about 75% of that. I like things spicy, so if it doesn't taste good I just add hot sauce.

I'm good with about 75% of that. I like things spicy, so if it doesn't taste good I just add hot sauce.

I make my own hot sauce with jalapeño, serrano, habanero, and other peppers. Usually whatever I can find in my northern climes. I make most of my food far more spicy than most American palates can stand. Very, very few things don't start with onions and garlic.

For me, not much that hasn't already been mentioned. I do like braunschweiger (liverwurst), and Spam, and steak tartare. None of those are rarities, but I'm the only one in my immediate family or reasonably close extended family who likes any of them.
During a few lean years when I was growing up (1950s), dinner was occasionally just sliced bread with hamburger gravy, and I still like that now, sometimes.

Steiney, I learned about buckwheat cakes by marrying into a family from WV. Do you eat yours with a fried egg between buckwheat cakes? Cake, EGT, cake, egg, cake, with butter on each thin cake and salt & pepper on each egg. Sometimes they will roll one buckwheat cake around a fried egg. Good stuff! I'm getting hungry . . .

Haggis is number 1, at least for people here in the states. The really funny part is that the first time I had it was at the Japanese Highland Games in Tokyo Japan made by a Scot team they had flown in to make authentic food. I got to sit with some high ranking Brit and Japanese diplomatic corp people at that same time just because I was an Air Force guy walking around.

I like salt on my watermelon and cantaloupe.
I like sliced pickled beets and I like the cranberry jelly stuff in the can for the Thanksgiving meal.

And how do you edit the post title? "Not" used in place of "no."

Broccoli.

Bob Gardner

Vegemite (Australian food paste made from leftover brewers' yeast) spread thinly on a toast. :D

Haggis is number 1, at least for people here in the states. The really funny part is that the first time I had it was at the Japanese Highland Games in Tokyo Japan made by a Scot team they had flown in to make authentic food. I got to sit with some high ranking Brit and Japanese diplomatic corp people at that same time just because I was an Air Force guy walking around.

Haggis is pretty good, IMO. My wife and I went to Scotland a few years ago, and tried some then. The lady that owned the B&B, who served it to us, stated that they pretty much just serve it to tourists. She indicated that Scots don't eat much of it anymore, and that it's more novelty nowadays.

9a996da8f1d6fbd8c9326b1be82a40c9.jpg

Cheyenne, WY... They don't even bother calling them Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Braunschweiger sandwiches
Also called liver cheese.
I like mind with miracle. Whip and yellow of brown mustard on any bread other than wonder bread style white.
Grew up eating those which led to my love of liver these days. Fried calf liver with onions and some crumbled bacon on top with some Worcestershire sauce.

I'm good with all the bold. Dunno what TVP is. Tofu is vile - along with most soy products.

I'm good with all the bold. Dunno what TVP is. Tofu is vile - along with most soy products.

In Japan, large thick slabs of tofu are served as dessert. With soy sauce. It's not too bad cut into little pieces in soup, but not a chunk like two decks of cards stacked up, on a plate by itself . . . And no, the soy sauce doesn't help . . .

Had barbecued tofu for lunch yesterday, and grilled tofu last weekend. :D

Nauga,
Foraging in the big city

Yup, not really a fan. My grandmother on my mom's side came from Sweden at the turn to the last century and made some VERY traditional dishes. I like the wine sauce atlantic herring myself but I also eat Þorramatur to honor my Icelandic family. My dad's parents came from there also just before the turn of the 20th century and held on to tradition.

Chicken heart diced real fine and sauteed in butter. Perfect tiny snack after you've thrown the bird in the oven.

Also with the haggis lovers here. And spam. Dice the spam, dice potatoes, and chop onions, fry it all together. Yum!

I eat sardines right out of the can.

Garlic. Lots of it. On toast is best, with some cheese spread on top, maybe.
But lotsa lotsa garlic. To the point that wife might demand that I sleep on the couch. :D
Many people are scared of it (for no logical reason because it tastes so da*n good) but it is healthy for us and I can eat it raw. :)

Oh and a smoked mackerel. I can pick it off the bone for dinner. :)

Garlic. Lots of it. On toast is best, with some cheese spread on top, maybe.
Oh yes. My favorite item at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival in California is garlic pizza. Just crust, a bit of mozzarella cheese, and a solid layer of minced garlic.

Back