What causes an aileron push rod to bend?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
upload_2022-5-24_19-56-24.jpeg

From a 172. What can make it bend?

Something pushed something that wouldn't be moved. I've not done it with ailerons, but I got an engine pushrod that did that once.

We had it happen twice on our club 172s. Best we can tell it's from the local helicopters taxiing by.

Same here. Only time I’ve seen it is when the control lock was installed and the ailerons were moved on the wing.

Yep - in both cases the control lock was installed.

Just curious, how was it discovered?

I was only in the club during the second time it happened, but in that case a member discovered it during a walk around. Did the typical 'raise the aileron and jiggle the pushrod' part and found it to not have any play at all. Can't remember if it affected the free movement of the controls from the yoke though - it might have flown like that for awhile. I'd have to ask him.

I would have that airframe inspected very well for other (less obvious) damage. A number of areas could have been stressed during a wind event strong enough to bend a control rod like that. Control surfaces, cables, tensions, turn buckles, pulleys, attach points, etc.

If you have a curve that's not your usual...

We did have some very strong storms a week ago. I suspect that's when it happened. It was caught very quickly.

What I've learned so far is that's the reason for checking the pushrod. It normally has play and can wiggle. But I've never heard or thought of what it means if that doesn't pass. I need to ask more curious questions when someone says "check this" and ask "what if it doesn't pass".

There’s a lot of stuff like that. Dawned on me one day I had never seen water in a sump cup... and neither had ANY of my students. Now I deliberately show them what it looks like.

And on and on...

There’s a lot of stuff like that. Dawned on me one day I had never seen water in a sump cup... and neither had ANY of my students. Now I deliberately show them what it looks like.
And how to use the proper disposal station too, I hope. ;)

If you throw it high enough into the air it will all evaporate before hitting the ground.

That just ant right! :)

Back