What are you "stick" guys using for a gust lock when parked?

Dave Anderson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SkyDreams
I have a Bristell that is always hangared but as I prepare for trips and using it more parking in the winds is a problem. So far, I've been shoving my sweatshirt around the stick between the seat extensions to act as a gust lock.

I'd love to see some of the DIY and store-bought solutions you all came up with.

I have a Bristell that is always hangared but as I prepare for trips and using it more parking in the winds is a problem. So far, I've been shoving my sweatshirt around the stick between the seat extensions to act as a gust lock.

I'd love to see some of the DIY and store-bought solutions you all came up with.
Seatbelt

In Citabrias we always used the seat belt.

My T6 has a built in control lock.

CL100_8_inch_Reach_Control_Lock.jpg

Elevator_Position_-_CL100_Installed_med.jpg

Something very obvious. Maybe red in color. With a flag. Something that even Stevie Wonder wouldn’t miss.

3 of these for when you "really" need gust locks.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/airgizmouniversalgustlock.php

Just ask the RV guys who've had to repair their rudders in spite of using the in-the-cockpit style gust locks.

Negative. No one that I know of with a good store bought or DIY in-cockpit solution that locks the rudder pedals and the stick together has had an issue. The only ones that had a problem I know of are the ones that tried the seatbelt method or similar system that didn't immobilize all of the control surfaces. I use the Anti-Splat Aero ultimate gust lock and my RV has sat through some significant weather without an issue. I've also seen plenty of similar DIY setups made out of PVC pipe that work like a charm.

gust lock.jpg

Eye bolt on the stick, two eyebolts on the seat frame, and a piece of aluminum with pins to drop into the eye bolts to maintain neutral elevator.

If you expect the control surfaces to be exposed to more than a light breeze external locks are better. With internal locks the surfaces are fighting the control locks and all that stress goes into cables and pulleys. False security. Most of my outside parking for winter storage used external aileron locks and nothing on elevator or rudder. Lessons learned from years of parking in wind and snow.

If you expect the control surfaces to be exposed to more than a light breeze external locks are better. With internal locks the surfaces are fighting the control locks and all that stress goes into cables and pulleys. False security. Most of my outside parking for winter storage used external aileron locks and nothing on elevator or rudder. Lessons learned from years of parking in wind and snow.

You underestimate a pilots skill for quickly getting airborne without worrying about such things as control locks.

Back