Warning for younger aggressive drivers...

I'm the guy that most ****ole drivers hate. I only do, at most, 9 MPH above the speed limit. I use the 3 or 4 second rule on following distance, especially in heavy slow traffic.
My favorite thing to watch is the large ****ole trucks in the fast lane trying to go around me while I'm getting off the interstate. My airport exit is one of those rare left side exits. I'll merge over about a half mile before unless its bumper to bumper then I'll do about a mile. Inevitably one of those dudes will whip out from the middle lane and try to pass everyone and end up stuck behind me furious. Because they don't have the situational knowledge to remember that there's an left hand exit only seconds ahead. They honk, flash their lights and flip me off while I happily keep driving in my Subaru. Then without missing a beat they'll give a WTF look as I exit.

Friend of mine's wife was one of those drivers, like you, with the poor driving skills, attitude, and habits. She would never allow a big truck to pass her, no matter what. Nearly got her dead a few years ago. Made a hell of a mess on the highway. She drives very infrequently these days. Think about it bad driver.

What exactly in your opinion makes Him a "bad driver" with poor driving skills?

Turn that question around, then answer it for me. What exactly, in your opinion, makes Him a "Good Driver" with good driving skills?

Neither of us were there to judge, but by his own admission, he has drivers "stuck behind me furious", and "They honk, flash their lights and flip me off".
Should I assume that's a normal reaction to good driving skills? Ignorance we can fix. Stupid, not so much.

Turn that question around, then answer it for me. What exactly, in your opinion, makes Him a "Good Driver" with good driving skills?

Neither of us were there to judge, but by his own admission, he has drivers "stuck behind me furious", and "They honk, flash their lights and flip me off".
Should I assume that's a normal reaction to good driving skills? Ignorance we can fix. Stupid, not so much.
That’s what happens when someone drives at nearly the speed limit in the left lane when exiting to the left. It’s poor road design as much as a driver refusing to maintain speed with the flow of traffic. Two wrongs don’t make a right but the driver is not responsible for road design.

Repeat 3 more times before I finally need to turn off a side street. And yes, I couldn't help but laugh every time I coasted past Porsche dude.

Perhaps he was just having fun launching it? I'll do the same thing on my bike, if the speed limit is high enough to be fun to get to quickly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Perhaps he was just having fun launching it? I'll do the same thing on my bike, if the speed limit is high enough to be fun to get to quickly.

I’m rather sedate off the line in the Camaro but for some reason the other cars are usually small in the mirror...dunno what’s up with that...

I hate driving, not because I'm scared or bad at but because its such a waste of my life.

A lot of drivers are walking.... er driving lawsuits in the making. Go ahead and speed in parking lots, cut across lanes, pull out in front of others, drive at night with no lights on, seriously injure or kill someone expect life changing consequences in many states.

That being said, did you know that hit & runs are at all time highs?

I hate driving, not because I'm scared or bad at but because its such a waste of my life.

A lot of drivers are walking.... er driving lawsuits in the making. Go ahead and speed in parking lots, cut across lanes, pull out in front of others, drive at night with no lights on, seriously injure or kill someone expect life changing consequences in many states.

That being said, did you know that hit & runs are at all time highs?

Yep. That's another reason I have front and rear cameras.

Rich

Perhaps. But...

1. He was topping out 20+ over the 45mph speed limit in an area regularly patrolled.
  2. I didn't notice him laughing or even smiling every time I coasted past him.

Perhaps. But...

1. He was topping out 20+ over the 45mph speed limit in an area regularly patrolled.
  2. I didn't notice him laughing or even smiling every time I coasted past him.
Haha, yeah, I bet he *was* ****ed

Not everyone has to stop at a roundabout...

giphy.gif

One county over, they put in a roundabout and apparently neglegted to tell one of the local trash haulers about it. At 5 in the morning he jumped the thing with a tractor trailer full of trash which subsequently ran into a house.

I “shot a gap” in the Subaru today. Only took noticing the gap was going to open and a 1/4 mile of wide open throttle to gain 10 MPH. LOL.

Go hamsters go! :)

A couple weeks ago I was making my way through a 4 lane cross/merge point which both originated from and diverged into different roadways. It was about 8:45am during the work week, which I suspect was significant. There were traffic lights on both ends of the cross lane merge. Some kid in a late-model Chevy Cruze comes flying down the left-most entrance to the merge point, cuts through 3 lanes of traffic and attempts to arrive in the right-most lane. Only problem was that I had just received a green light to enter the merge and ended up inadvertently blocking him since I was also moving into the right-hand lane. To say that he was irate would be an understatement, and I got the full show of shouting, hand gestures, blaring horn, etc. He got in behind me and tailgated so closely I'm surprised there wasn't bumper contact. I maintained the speed limit coming out of the merge point, down a single-lane entrance ramp to another 4-lane roadway, and immediately moved to the right-hand lane once I merged onto the roadway. Anticipating what was likely to happen, I also let up on the gas, and sure enough, he darts around to cut me off and comes to an abrupt stop in front of me in the right-hand lane.

I drive a 4WD pickup truck which is 12 years old and has 175k+ miles on it. It's still in good shape, but it's hardly new. I could have probably kept going at the speed limit and crushed half of this kid's new car, but in my state the trailing vehicle is presumed at fault for a rear-end collision unless there is evidence to the contrary. I thought at that moment that I really should be running a dash cam, since had I not anticipated his actions I likely would have hit him. And he isn't the first example of roadway stupidity that I've encountered.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good dash cam?

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I was making my way through a 4 lane cross/merge point which both originated from and diverged into different roadways. It was about 8:45am during the work week, which I suspect was significant. There were traffic lights on both ends of the cross lane merge. Some kid in a late-model Chevy Cruze comes flying down the left-most entrance to the merge point, cuts through 3 lanes of traffic and attempts to arrive in the right-most lane. Only problem was that I had just received a green light to enter the merge and ended up inadvertently blocking him since I was also moving into the right-hand lane. To say that he was irate would be an understatement, and I got the full show of shouting, hand gestures, blaring horn, etc. He got in behind me and tailgated so closely I'm surprised there wasn't bumper contact. I maintained the speed limit coming out of the merge point, down a single-lane entrance ramp to another 4-lane roadway, and immediately moved to the right-hand lane once I merged onto the roadway. Anticipating what was likely to happen, I also let up on the gas, and sure enough, he darts around to cut me off and comes to an abrupt stop in front of me in the right-hand lane.

I drive a 4WD pickup truck which is 12 years old and has 175k+ miles on it. It's still in good shape, but it's hardly new. I could have probably kept going at the speed limit and crushed half of this kid's new car, but in my state you are presumed at fault for a rear-end collision unless there is evidence to the contrary. I thought at that moment that I really should be running a dash cam, since had I not anticipated his actions I likely would have it him. And he isn't the first example of roadway stupidity that I've encountered.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good dash cam?
Get a GoPro and a suction cup mount. A bit pricey, but the FoV and image quality beats everything else on the market.

Get a GoPro and a suction cup mount. A bit pricey, but the FoV and image quality beats everything else on the market.

Now from what I’m seeing in YouTube video tests.

Their quarterly earnings also shows it.

Shop.

What do people think they are accomplishing by tailgating a few inches off a bumper.?

I have put a few people in the ditch for doing that without damage to my vehicle. (it is an art I learned on the race track)

I'd be interested to hear how that trick works

My favorite at a 4 way stop when you stop at the same time as someone else: Instead of doing the little wave thing, point at the person and then point the direction for them to go. They ALWAYS put their head down and go. It gives a strange feeling of power. I highly recommend you give it a try.

In the 1980s I had a 1966 Chevy C-10 Pickup Truck that was perfect for that situation. If someone got that close on my tail, I could just nail the brakes and not much damage to me, but the other guy.... Anyhow I never did that but the urge to do so was strong! Strong, I say! I hate it when dogs run right in front of me like that... :p

-Skip

What do people think they are accomplishing by tailgating a few inches off a bumper.?

I have put a few people in the ditch for doing that without damage to my vehicle. (it is an art I learned on the race track)
Do you use a Scandinavian Flick?

The one who was doing it to me this morning was apparently busy on her cell phone... so I guess she was accomplishing reading her email or something.

I literally watched her looking down at it in my rear-view for a mile or two.

I really thought about acting like something ran out in the road in front of me and making a panic lane change just to see if she lost control of it.

And no... tapping the brake lights on didn't work... she didn't even look up. Thought about playing with the hazards just to see if she noticed.

Panic lane change and locking up the tires would have been fun to go shooting past her "backward" to see if she paid any attention after that, though. Wasn't in the mood.

I try to picture everything happening on pedal bikes, on pedal bike paths. Would you act the same way? When faster traffic arrives, they call out "on your left", and I've never seen anyone try to cut them off or move over to block them. Nobody even judges them negatively! They do their best to accommodate the faster moving traffic and get out of their way so that everybody might continue the pace that they prefer.

As far as "meeting them at the next light", it's true; I've been on both ends of that deal. Just like poker players; you're not playing the hand, you're playing the numbers. You may not win every hand, but the numbers play out in your favor overall, or you switch up the strategy. I've been the "last guy just making the green", after passing slower traffic that didn't make it. Those days, it was worth passing the slower guy. I've been the guy who catches Mr. Speedy at the next light too. I get it; like faster pedal bikers, some people just want to go faster than me, and don't care that we arrive at the park within seconds of each other. It makes them happy, and this is America, so why do I care?

No hate, just love, we're all driving together out there. I do my best to get out of faster traffic's way, and assume they either have a loved one in the hospital, maybe dying, or that they just want to go faster than me. Either way, having somebody right on my bumper does me no good. Like a previous dude said, let them go on ahead running interference for the rest of us. They are the Bandit in smokey and the bandit, and I'm the guy driving the semi full of beer. :)

No hate, just love, we're all driving together out there.

See a lot of pedal bike riders tailgating at 2" behind while texting?

Oh no... I can hate... the forces involved are a lot bigger... they're not biking, they're operating a much more deadly object.

Same reason I can hate just fine when I see someone breaking a safety rule at the shooting range... "Point that thing downrange before I shoot you in self-defense, you freaking dangerous moron."

In the 1980s I had a 1966 Chevy C-10 Pickup Truck that was perfect for that situation. If someone got that close on my tail, I could just nail the brakes and not much damage to me, but the other guy.... Anyhow I never did that but the urge to do so was strong! Strong, I say! I hate it when dogs run right in front of me like that... :p

-Skip
I was riding shotgun with a buddy and a local cop was inches off our bumper. My buddy emergency stopped and the cop ate the bumper on the truck. It was an interesting situation. The cop arrested my buddy. I called the highway patrol. Not long after my buddy was “unarrested” and the cop was written a ticket by the state guy. Apparently the cop was so close he didn’t see the “dog” that ran out in front of us.

And no... tapping the brake lights on didn't work... she didn't even look up. Thought about playing with the hazards just to see if she noticed.
Do a Scandinavian Flick and put her in a ditch. :)

See a lot of pedal bike riders tailgating at 2" behind while texting?

Oh no... I can hate... the forces involved are a lot bigger... they're not biking, they're operating a much more deadly object.

Same reason I can hate just fine when I see someone breaking a safety rule at the shooting range... "Point that thing downrange before I shoot you in self-defense, you freaking dangerous moron."

Wow, are we at the same range?

I just had a pistol pointed at me on Saturday. It was a kid though... and I like having kids show up. I just said something like "Woops, we should probably keep the nose end downrange as much as we can", and then his dad saw him, and shouted his name out. I didn't want the kid to get chewed, I knew that it was his very first time there, so I reassured both that no harm was done, and it was a good opportunity to talk about range procedures or whatever. I wanted him to not dread coming back. The dad was cool too, didn't lay into him.

No, I must admit I don't see a lot of pedal bikers tailgating while texting (they do draft each other, but they all know it). I guess I would definitely not want them on my tootie, or even alongside me. I'd want them far away. I might call the police on them, and I guess I should; I just see people texting so often I'd have to put 911 on speed dial.

I just try not to cause an accident that could hurt anybody; just get by the people going slower, and let the faster people by.

...and yes, you can hate all you want! It is America, after all. People can love, people can hate, some can accelerate quickly from stoplights, some can do it slowly, we get to fly little airplanes, life is good!

OMG that is just too funny..!!!!! Stayed in his lane and landed on the rear wheels...
Small town near Savannah, GA put in a roundabout, rather than traffic lights, as a cost saving idea. Traffic fatalities at that intersection for first year were highest were the highest in the state! It was a slaughter house. Jon

Small town near Savannah, GA put in a roundabout, rather than traffic lights, as a cost saving idea. Traffic fatalities at that intersection for first year were highest were the highest in the state! It was a slaughter house. Jon
Good way to weed out the ****ty drivers, though. I bet there were fewer fatalities the following years.

The one who was doing it to me this morning was apparently busy on her cell phone... so I guess she was accomplishing reading her email or something.

I really thought about acting like something ran out in the road in front of me and making a panic lane change just to see if she lost control of it.

Panic lane change and locking up the tires would have been fun to go shooting past her "backward" to see if she paid any attention after that, though. Wasn't in the mood.

Every once in a while there is a cop in the right place....waiting at the metering light to get onto 25 when a jerk in a BMW is hauling ass up the HOV entrance ramp. A Denver PD motorcycle cop, in plain view, is at the top of the ramp! When I finally get onto 25 the cop, with a big smile, is writing the guy a well deserved ticket!!

Good way to weed out the ****ty drivers, though. I bet there were fewer fatalities the following years.

Took a lllloooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg time for the rate to fall down to normal. It was embarrassing especially since I'm from that area, it ain't that hard y'all.

I used to brake-check folks, had a couple of incidents, don't any more.

--

If you're in the left-hand lane of a divided highway, you aren't in the process of passing slower traffic and there is traffic behind you wanting to pass, you need to move right to allow them to pass, without regard to what your speed is. Right of way is not dependent upon the speed at which the yielding car is driving - and why would anyone actually want to create greater congestion and danger?

I think traffic violations need to be based on percentages of income so fines sting everyone, so its not just points on the license and pocket change to wealthy folks.

I think traffic violations need to be based on percentages of income so fines sting everyone, so its not just points on the license and pocket change to wealthy folks.
B-b-b-but what's the point of being wealthy if I have to follow the same law as the peasants??? That's commusocialnazism!!!

Seems like poorly thought out jealousy.

That’d just lead to pulling over only the most expensive looking vehicles.

Then they’d quickly learn the most expensive vehicles are not owned, but have loans against them, or leases, then they’d start pulling over beaters, hunting for those with assets.

The whole reason one works to be wealthy is so stuff like that *is* pocket change. Hahaha.

Meanwhile I wish I had dash cams when I got my last ticket. I don’t speed. The construction speed limit signs on a dirt road being paved had either been taken down for the day or were blown over (common out here). If I had cameras that would have been a slam dunk to get it dismissed.

But I didn’t and paid the stupid fine and took the automatic plea deal to not have to bother driving to the lovely metropolis of Kiowa, CO and spending a day in rural traffic court. $110 after “fine doubling” kicked in for it supposedly being a construction zone, with no workers working in it.

It was Friday. They knocked off early. Then they’d go kick their speed limit signs down in the ditch. They did that a lot on that road. It only took them nine months to pave 4 miles of dirt. They were the epitome of excellence and efficiency. :)

Barney Fife who weighed about 350 had been out there from dawn to well past noon and never noticed they were gone. They probably knocked off early to get away from him. Hahaha.

I’ve told the story before about how excited he was they had installed thousands of dollars worth of thermal printers in the cars so he didn’t have to lift a finger to write down anything. Might have interrupted his seventh meal for the day, I suppose.

They couldn’t even find a reflective vest big enough for this guy to wear for doing traffic work. They don’t make them in quintuple X-large I guess.

Seems like poorly thought out jealousy.

The whole reason one works to be wealthy is so stuff like that *is* pocket change. Hahaha.

Hah. Called it.

Hah. Called it.

Yup. You get as much justice as you can afford in America. You haven’t figured that out yet?

There’s a reason why the tax attorney is the only guy with multiple warbirds at my home airport.

Back