Warning for younger aggressive drivers...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Just fair warning. Don’t mess with the grey haired guy in the nearly 20 year old car.

Yesterday I was merging normally onto the highway and the weave lane was backed up a bit. Wanted over into one of the center lanes to continue on down the highway...

Had blinker on to get out of the weave lane and young stupid Honda boy comes flying up in the rear view.

See an opening and start to move over. Now the 18 year old Subaru will go plenty fast but she does need a moment for the old hamsters to wake up and the wimpy four speed auto trans to jump down not one, but two gears and wrap those hamsters up to 6000-7000 RPM...

As I’m halfway over I see Honda boy dart into the center lane from behind and goose it. This ain’t no performance Honda either, just your bog standard Civic.

I decided to keep moving left. Hahaha.

He got all sorts of mad, honking and gesturing and carrying on.

I just smiled at him.

You see kids, the car is only worth $2000, there’s no car payments on it, I wouldn’t even bother claiming it on insurance if you bend the bumper a little (a hammer will fix that) and I know you have a car payment on that cute little black Civic of yours, and the dent in my rear bumper would mean you’re getting the ticket.

And waiting around for the cops, you’ll probably be late to whatever you were speeding to get to in the first place. LOL.

Think about what you have to lose if you’re going to drive aggressively and stupid around me. I could buy another Subaru like mine for cash tomorrow and not even bat an eye.

Hell, usually I would have that cash sitting in the safe at home just for such opportunities if someone were say, desperate to sell a small tractor better than mine. Or a nice pistol. Who knows.

Oh, and I get a kick out of tirades like yours too. It’s just entertainment at my age.

I’m not going out of my way to cause trouble, but if you want to eat my bumper, I’m going to let ya. IDGAF. Or as you kids say, YOLO. LOL.

My wallet can take it. Can yours? I’m more than happy to raise your insurance rates for the next half a decade. Are you?

hahahahaha.

Obviously... this doesn’t apply to old airplanes. Just for the record. ;)

Old age and treachery... my car doesn’t have any of those fancy lane occupied warnings you kids are so fond of these days.

Funny thing was, the next center lane over was wide open too... if he just HAD to pass, he could’ve taken two lanes over and been up to 80 in a heartbeat.

Dumb kid.

My favorite is the guy who weaves in and out then I end up catching up to him at a red light. He basically accomplished nothing.

I smile and wave like I recognize them as some old friend. They’re either totally confused or really really mad. Hahahaha.

If their window is open I’ll ask some dumb question like “Hey man, does that thing have a turbo?” LOL.

I swear this is true. One time the guy at the light was so mad about it all, he ignored me smiling and probably other people giving him the stink eye too, just because of how lame he was driving.

Left turn light turns green, he’s in the straight lane and we’re both up front, me right, him left. He guns it to show how cool he is, and then comes screeching to a stop just before he t-bones a left turner from the other side. LOL.

I had my window down and normally I’d try to stifle it, but I’m sure he could hear me doubled over laughing out loud from the center of the intersection where all the left turners are now laying on their horns at him.

He reversed back to his spot to wait for the light and wouldn’t make eye contact anymore. Hahaha. I was laughing so hard my sides hurt for a few miles.

For you bonefide Anti-Destination League members. I'm an old duffer, but I still have deadlines and obligations. Stop with your brake checks. Your brakes work. Brake lights two lanes over doesn't mean you stop too. Get out of the fast lane, get the hell over. I don't care if you think you're driving the limit.

Cut me off, just because you can, or to make a point, all bets are off for you. Look ahead of your bumper and formulate a plan. Stop the tailgating. It only makes you slam your brakes on when the car ahead taps his brakes. I like messing with you, and if you don't understand tailgate, I can teach you. Get off your damn phone. Nuff said. I drive a big old paid for pick up truck, and your shiny little putt putt is going to lose.

I started driving a long time ago, back when Drivers Education was something nearly every High School student experienced. I learned to be a good, steady, and predictable driver. I even worked as a professional driver for several years in my younger days, but I can become a very aggressive ass if need be.

You wanna drive fast, drive fast... just don't be a dick about it. You wanna drive slow, drive slow... just get the hell out of the way. And whatever you do, put down the G D phone while you do it!!

DZ9w4e3UMAEl168.jpg:small

Reminds me of the time I was out running Saturday errands. I pull up to a red light next to a new-ish 911, look over and give a "nice ride" nod to the driver from my geriatric Mazda6. Light turns green and he launches as I hear his turbo spool up as he pulls aways. Meanwhile, I'm doing my economy departure technique from the intersection. Off in the distance I see the next light turn red and Porsche dude does a hot stop. I observe cross traffic and adjust my speed to conserve momentum. The light turns green just before I get to the intersection and coast right by Porsche dude as he launches again. I hear his turbo spool up again as I observe that the next light has a stale green. Sure enough the light turns red before Porsche dude gets there and he comes to another hot stop.

Repeat 3 more times before I finally need to turn off a side street. And yes, I couldn't help but laugh every time I coasted past Porsche dude.

I got a kick out of an almost incident on my morning commute.

I pulled up to the stop line at a light. Two through lanes, I was in the right lane, someone else in the left. Both go straight through, but after the intersection there is a short section before the right lane turns right and the left lane turns left at a T-intersecton. It was always a drag race for the left-laners to get a hole-shot so they could get into the right lane before the split. The car on my left had stopped too far across the line, so she (I think it was a she), backed up a little bit. She apparently had considered running the yellow light, but stopped at the last second. I figure she was probably wanting to get into the right lane, like most people, so I glanced over just before the light turned green. I noticed her reverse lights were still on - she was still in reverse. The light turned green, she punched it so she could jump in front of me...and shot backwards. Nobody was hit, but I got something to write about on the interwebs.

The rural version of "Idiot Drivers" for those who live miles from anywhere. Even we who live in the land of 'where the deer and antelope play' are not free of motoring difficulties.

25mi stretch of wide open, two lane, largely unused, straight and flat, 70mph hwy. It's just you and me; two cars for as far as the eye can see in all directions.
If I am doing 70mph, why on God's green earth do you think it necessary to ride my ass - I mean 3 car lengths away? Pass me, or get the hell back! Look at this countryside; there is a surfeit of open space for us, we do not need to sit on each other's lap for this activity!
(I usually have to 'drive the car for them'; today I had to slow to 50mph before they got the hint and passed me.)

Next up; How To Use High Beams/Low Beams At Night.
Study up; this is obviously a very difficult course.

I smile and wave like I recognize them as some old friend.

I like to do that. Then if we are both stopped at a light I'll lean out, "Hey man. howya doin'.?? Haven't seen ya in a while, ya doin' OK.??

Get some really strange looks as they try to figure out who I am....

I used to rub bumpers at 180, did it for a (very) meager living..... even now at my advanced age I will sneak up behind my friends and give them a love tap. Really wakes them up. Most, I mean all my old friends keep one eye in the rear view mirror looking for me while driving....

I have never lost a game of who can get closest to who....

I still have friends that will not get in a car when I drive. I am not crazy or dangerous, just that skillful. I know when to tap and when not to.

And to top it off, in 44 years of driving I have had 5 wrecks while on city streets. Each time I was sitting stopped at a red light and got hit from someone trying to run the light. 4 hits were in the front of the vehicle, and one from behind.

Another Rural Rant.
The Excessively Polite Driver and the 4-Way stop.

I see you approach and stop at the intersection; I am coming from 90 degree direction to your direction, and obviously you have a hundred feet and many-seconds advantage. In fact, you could have stopped and gone through the intersection by the time I get there. But no, you wait.
You sit there at your white line, as you do not have the eye/neuron capability to detect that my vehicle is making a significant deceleration as I approach. OK, fine. Not only do you wait but it seems you want to ensure my car's speed is below 0.001mph before you will advance. Ah, my error. I have now completely stopped for at least a second or two and that is not good enough for you, as I see you have not proceeded on your way as a normal person would expect. Maybe your car has stalled? You are looking straight out the window and are not working the ignition, not getting out to raise the hood. Perplexed, I gesture for you to go; You're up. It's all you. Find the right hand pedal. Go. GO! Do you go? NO! You give a goofy grin, and wave for me to go! Are you baiting me?! Are you playing some sick game in which you wait for a target then floor it??

And in this whole time in which you could have cleared the intersection and not impeded anyone, we are having this unnecessary toro-caca interaction while you delay me and others approaching the intersection.

I go through a 4-way stop every day. It never fails that someone manages to screw up even that simple concept nearly every time.

It was always a drag race for the left-laners to get a hole-shot so they could get into the right lane before the split.
Ah, yes. I have something similar near my house:

Stopped at a red light, they on the left, me on the right and just ahead is the on-ramp to the freeway. Leadfoot got a good hole shot but oh no, their reaction time is just waaaaay too slow so they fall in behind me, ride my bumper and start cursing.

But then we get to the cloverleaf section of the on ramp. Well, they are incapable of looking through the curve and/or they are incapable of judging the slip angle of their contact patch.

I'm settling into the middle lane around the time they are starting to unwind their steering wheel.

And I'm nowhere near the limit either. I'm maybe at 5 or 6 tenths or so.

For you bonefide Anti-Destination League members. I'm an old duffer, but I still have deadlines and obligations. Stop with your brake checks. Your brakes work. Brake lights two lanes over doesn't mean you stop too. Get out of the fast lane, get the hell over. I don't care if you think you're driving the limit.

Cut me off, just because you can, or to make a point, all bets are off for you. Look ahead of your bumper and formulate a plan. Stop the tailgating. It only makes you slam your brakes on when the car ahead taps his brakes. I like messing with you, and if you don't understand tailgate, I can teach you. Get off your damn phone. Nuff said. I drive a big old paid for pick up truck, and your shiny little putt putt is going to lose.

I started driving a long time ago, back when Drivers Education was something nearly every High School student experienced. I learned to be a good, steady, and predictable driver. I even worked as a professional driver for several years in my younger days, but I can become a very aggressive ass if need be.

Yeah just a few days ago I saw a Civic brake checking a Chevy pickup in the #1 lane. They were both driving like tools. The Chevy was riding his ass, and the Civic was stupidly brake checking him. I had to slow way down because the pickup almost lost control avoiding the Civic. I guess that was his wake up and smell the coffee moment. He backed off.

The rural version of "Idiot Drivers" for those who live miles from anywhere. Even we who live in the land of 'where the deer and antelope play' are not free of motoring difficulties.

25mi stretch of wide open, two lane, largely unused, straight and flat, 70mph hwy. It's just you and me; two cars for as far as the eye can see in all directions.
If I am doing 70mph, why on God's green earth do you think it necessary to ride my ass - I mean 3 car lengths away? Pass me, or get the hell back! Look at this countryside; there is a surfeit of open space for us, we do not need to sit on each other's lap for this activity!
(I usually have to 'drive the car for them'; today I had to slow to 50mph before they got the hint and passed me.)

ROFLMAO... happened to me just last night... county road, two-lane, nobody around for at least a mile and a half...

Except for SUV lady and her headlights right up my azz, matching me exactly for speed.

I did the same thing... just slowly started slowing down... she had no frakking idea how close she was following, just thought it was all "normal"... idiot.

Another Rural Rant.

I see you approach and stop at the intersection; I am coming from 90 degree direction to your direction, and obviously you have a hundred feet and many-seconds advantage. In fact, you could have stopped and gone through the intersection by the time I get there. But no, you wait.
You sit there at your white line, as you do not have the eye/neuron capability to detect that my vehicle is making a significant deceleration as I approach. OK, fine. Not only do you wait but it seems you want to ensure my car's speed is below 0.001mph before you will advance. Ah, my error. I have now completely stopped for at least a second or two and that is not good enough for you, as I see you have not proceeded on your way as a normal person would expect. Maybe your car has stalled? You are looking straight out the window and are not working the ignition, not getting out to raise the hood. Perplexed, I gesture for you to go; You're up. It's all you. Find the right hand pedal. Go. GO! Do you go? NO! You give a goofy grin, and wave for me to go! Are you baiting me?! Are you playing some sick game in which you wait for a target then floor it??

And in this whole time in which you could have cleared the intersection and not impeded anyone, we are having this unnecessary toro-caca interaction while you delay me and others approaching the intersection.

We could discuss roundabouts... LOL... OMG people turn into utter morons in roundabouts in the U.S.

Another Rural Rant.

I see this EVERY DAY!!! Gawd people can be stupid!

Many years ago while driving a beater Jeep CJ, I was on a 4 lane interstate with a station wagon a few feet from my back bumper. Nearing my exit, I lifted off the gas to slow down, he never slowed down, was now just inches off my rear bumper. I could see that he was sleepy or drunk/high....head bobbing around, chin bouncing off chest.
I need to slow down to exit ramp speed, but if I touch the brakes he will hit me !......what to do ?

Time for some dirt tracking.....I hit the gas to make some space, double clutch down shifted and gunned it for more space. Got thru the turn feathering the gas pedal and steering inputs, The A-hole jumped the short concrete median into the entrance lane and woke up and recovered. He never knew what happened......He slowed down and kept his distance.

P.S. brake checking prior to lifting to slow down produced no reaction in the tailgater

If I am doing 70mph, why on God's green earth do you think it necessary to ride my ass - I mean 3 car lengths away? Pass me, or get the hell back!

So, you met my Brother in Law. He does that to everyone. I once got a very dirty look from him when I suggested he switch lanes and tailgate a different car for a while.

I used to pop the handbrake momentarily to deal with tail-gaters. Makes a nice screech, a little puff of tire smoke, and usually startles them enough so they back off. Do it quickly and it doesn't slow you down much at all.

A little hard on equipment, but this was a company car. ;)

Ive commuted in houston my while adult life. I cannot stand traffic. I drive fast but not aggressively.

My 2 pet peeves:

I dont care what the speed limit is. If there is a river of cars passing you on the right, you are in the wrong lane. I cant beleive people drive all the way to work in the left lane going 66 in a 65 on an interstate.

Be predictable. Like was said above, dont wave other drivers on when you have the right-of-way. If its your turn, ****ing go. We will all get where we are going faster than if you add confusion to an otherwise simple event.

I see this a lot in Southern California. I mean... A LOT. And not just Hondas. We have damned Priuses being driven like a new incarnation of the Zombie Apocalypse is underway.

I purposely purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 liter V-8. That vehicle has been tremendous. Idiot in the Camry trying to squeeze me out of my lane? Go ahead and try! I doubt that I’ll get anything more than a scratch (to add to the hundreds of scratches already there on my car), and you’ll have a nicely crumpled fender. Want to tailgate me? Go ahead. That tow ball will do a lot more harm to your front end than it’ll do to my frame and rear bumper if I had to perform an emergency stop.

Oh, the V8? It’s no speed demon, but it has plenty of grunt down low to get me off the line and across an intersection with authority.

I am finding that, as odd as it sounds, my commutes have been a lot more peaceful as a result of purchasing that Explorer!

Many years ago while driving a beater Jeep CJ, I was on a 4 lane interstate with a station wagon a few feet from my back bumper. Nearing my exit, I lifted off the gas to slow down, he never slowed down, was now just inches off my rear bumper. I could see that he was sleepy or drunk/high....head bobbing around, chin bouncing off chest.
I need to slow down to exit ramp speed, but if I touch the brakes he will hit me !......what to do ?

Time for some dirt tracking.....I hit the gas to make some space, double clutch down shifted and gunned it for more space. Got thru the turn feathering the gas pedal and steering inputs, The A-hole jumped the short concrete median into the entrance lane and woke up and recovered. He never knew what happened......He slowed down and kept his distance.

P.S. brake checking prior to lifting to slow down produced no reaction in the tailgater

Yeah, but did the VTEC kick in, yo? :) :) :)

What the heck is a weave lane? Colorado thing?

Simultaneous on-ramp lane from the previous cross street and exit lane to the next exit on the interstate... no through traffic... everyone weaving through each other... people getting on, and the people about to get off.

That tow ball will do a lot more harm to your front end than it’ll do to my frame and rear bumper if I had to perform an emergency stop.

LOL... I leave all my tow balls on after someone tapped my truck bumper long long ago... I figure anyone who does that ever again gets a ball through their radiator as an added bonus stupid-prize. :)

ROFLMAO... happened to me just last night... county road, two-lane, nobody around for at least a mile and a half...

Except for SUV lady and her headlights right up my azz, matching me exactly for speed.

I did the same thing... just slowly started slowing down... she had no frakking idea how close she was following, just thought it was all "normal"... idiot.

If folks are following too closely, I just adjust my speed down to one that keeps both of us safe. So if you follow 10ft off my bumper, we'll go down interstate ramp at 20mph. You back off, I'll go back to a speed appropriate for the road. Some get it, most don't.

If folks are following too closely, I just adjust my speed down to one that keeps both of us safe. So if you follow 10ft off my bumper, we'll go down interstate ramp at 20mph. You back off, I'll go back to a speed appropriate for the road. Some get it, most don't.
Hahaha I never thought about applying the time/distance rule for the vehicle BEHIND me... hahaha... nice...

Some tool tailgated me in the right lane of a 4-lane divided highway, at night, with his bright lights on, at limit + 10. I sped up and left him, then slowed to my original speed. He caught up and settled in behind me. I slowed down to 50, he slowed down. I sped back up to 65, he sped back up.

Then I just lifted my foot and let the car slow down. When it reached 35, he decided to get in the left lane and pass me. Finally! So I cut over behind him, hit my brights and tailgated his @ss for several miles, not letting him run away from me. Not many production cars can outrun my V-12; had a good time once riding along with a guy in a Viper at 100 on a 2 lane, pulling out to pass together. He smiled and waved out the t-tops when he turned and I stayed straight.

Not sure if dumb@ss on the 4 lane ever figured out why I ran several miles behind him with my brights on, nicely dimming them for oncoming traffic. And I was offset behind him, to make sure a headlight was in an outisde mirror; when he shifted to blank it out, I moved to the other mirror.

Driving a big heavy duty vehicle does have its advantages. I once owned a full size 1970's Dodge 3/4 ton van... the left rear corner was hit while parked.........The van had a golf ball size dent and a scratch on the chrome bumper, the Ford Pinto that hit me had a destroyed right front fender.

And whatever you do, put down the G D phone while you do it!!

+1 on putting down the phone. I got behind a box truck last week at a red light. He can barely move when the light turns green because...I swear... he’s turning left, and shifting up, and talking on the phone all at the same time.

My other peeve lately is the idiots who think because their DRLs are on and their 22” dashboard mounted LCD is lit, that the rest of their headlight system and all their marker lights actually turned on automatically after dark.

I see this a lot in Southern California. I mean... A LOT. And not just Hondas. We have damned Priuses being driven like a new incarnation of the Zombie Apocalypse is underway.

I purposely purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer with a 4.6 liter V-8. That vehicle has been tremendous. Idiot in the Camry trying to squeeze me out of my lane? Go ahead and try! I doubt that I’ll get anything more than a scratch (to add to the hundreds of scratches already there on my car), and you’ll have a nicely crumpled fender. Want to tailgate me? Go ahead. That tow ball will do a lot more harm to your front end than it’ll do to my frame and rear bumper if I had to perform an emergency stop.

Oh, the V8? It’s no speed demon, but it has plenty of grunt down low to get me off the line and across an intersection with authority.

I am finding that, as odd as it sounds, my commutes have been a lot more peaceful as a result of purchasing that Explorer!

Ah, yes, the big advantage of driving a beater. No one got out of my way when I drove an Infiniti sport coupe. Advance a few years into marriage, and I started driving my wife's 15-year old Honda Accord. No one challenged me for lane position. As it was a top of the line model with a 5 speed, it left the line with authority when I wanted to, all the way to red line in 2nd gear. (The difference between a manual Accord and an automatic is huge; the auto will barely spin the tires as it chugs slowly away from the green light.)

another advantage of driving a beater, especially if it is big and rusty, no one argues with you over a parking spot at the mall at Christmas.

When I was in my 20s I had an old beater 1969 Ford F100; 360, 4-speed, manual steering and manual drum brakes all around. The body had numerous strategically placed sections of grey-primered checkerplate welded on it to cover the rusted out holes. Not the sort of vehicle I ever drove very fast, but for some reason I never had many challenge me, wanting the same spot of road I was occupying, or arguing with me during a merge either. :cool:

Last edited:
Some tool tailgated me in the right lane of a 4-lane divided highway, at night, with his bright lights on, at limit + 10. I sped up and left him, then slowed to my original speed. He caught up and settled in behind me. I slowed down to 50, he slowed down. I sped back up to 65, he sped back up.

Then I just lifted my foot and let the car slow down. When it reached 35, he decided to get in the left lane and pass me. Finally! So I cut over behind him, hit my brights and tailgated his @ss for several miles, not letting him run away from me. Not many production cars can outrun my V-12; had a good time once riding along with a guy in a Viper at 100 on a 2 lane, pulling out to pass together. He smiled and waved out the t-tops when he turned and I stayed straight.

Not sure if dumb@ss on the 4 lane ever figured out why I ran several miles behind him with my brights on, nicely dimming them for oncoming traffic. And I was offset behind him, to make sure a headlight was in an outisde mirror; when he shifted to blank it out, I moved to the other mirror.
What’s the point in following him and blinding him with your lights? Especially if you are assuming he didn’t even understand why you were tailgating him. Sounds like a good way to escalate a situation with an unknown threat. (That’s a nice way of saying you were asking for a gun fight)

What’s the point in following him and blinding him with your lights? Especially if you are assuming he didn’t even understand why you were tailgating him. Sounds like a good way to escalate a situation with an unknown threat. (That’s a nice way of saying you were asking for a gun fight)

:yeahthat:

One thing I learned early...it doesn't matter how fast I am driving, there's ALWAYS somebody who just has to go faster. I try to get out of their way and let them get on with their very important schedules.

:yeahthat:

One thing I learned early...it doesn't matter how fast I am driving, there's ALWAYS somebody who just has to go faster. I try to get out of their way and let them get on with their very important schedules.

I get out of their way in snow, so I can chuckle when they're in the ditch a few miles up. :)

Ha... for my next vehicle, I'm shopping for one of these. And no, not the H1. I'll definitely have to keep to the right lane, though.

1026886736.jpg

I get out of their way in snow, so I can chuckle when they're in the ditch a few miles up. :)

Those are the "imports".
They've been driving 4WD SUVs in coastal SoCal for 18 years. Then they move to the hills. And think they "have experience".

Back