Want to Build an Experimental Lockheed JetStar

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
About 2/3 scale, make it basically 340 sized.

Discuss.

Do the E/AB rules permit this?

The Aerostar jet conversion is pretty close to that idea isn't it? And I have heard nothing about that plane in over a year. I saw it at Oshkosh and it sure was cool.

Do the E/AB rules permit this?

Who cares? This is a PoA discussion. By the time I finish the build (sometime around the turn of the century) the world is doomed according to Henning.

The Aerostar jet conversion is pretty close to that idea isn't it? And I have heard nothing about that plane in over a year. I saw it at Oshkosh and it sure was cool.

The Aerostar jet conversion only has 2 engines. JetStar has 4!

I'm there, dude! :yes:

Good! One participant. I'll get the parts at Lowes and grab some beer. We should have it done by Monday morning.

About 2/3 scale, make it basically 340 sized.

Discuss.

You don't have a very good engine selection do you? The little Williams is about as small as it gets, and can you really use (or afford) 4 of them? Now I'm certainly not up on all the smaller scale engines, but I'm not aware of any large enough where 4 would be sufficient for a 340, not to mention they aren't set up for bleed air pressurization. If you really wanted the full effect I guess you could use 4 old Aeromeca Marbury VIs, but I don't know if there's an airport that will let you operate something that noisy.:lol:

I think a pair of Williams on the sides of a 414 with big old nacelle tanks where the engines were would be the ticket for something useful.

The problem with the idea of an e/ab turbojet is getting rvsm. Probably not possible.

The problem with the idea of an e/ab turbojet is getting rvsm. Probably not possible.
He needs it to go to right to FL430 without stopping in RVSM airspace. :)

Well an Aerostar with 4 jet engines would be pretty cool too. I'm in, but I wanna fly it.

Well an Aerostar with 4 jet engines would be pretty cool too. I'm in, but I wanna fly it.

Deal. I have no idea how to fly a jet anyway, so someone will have to teach me.

I like the way you think!

I'll put the entertainment system in...and volunteer to be the spokesmodel for all of the press this adventure is likely to attract!

I like the way you think!

I'll put the entertainment system in...and volunteer to be the spokesmodel for all of the press this adventure is likely to attract!

Kelvin for entertainment, Ben for engines, Spike for legal - we're set!

Deal. I have no idea how to fly a jet anyway, so someone will have to teach me.

It's just an airplane. But park facing into the wind. It's really embarasing to have to get a tug to turn you around so you can start engines.

Do I get to fabricate the motors?:dunno:........:D

I'd recommend the TJ-100 engines, but you need money, more money than I have. The engines are 40k apiece and will burn 80 gph combined at max thrust.

But I think an experimental twin jet is an awesome goal.

I'd recommend the TJ-100 engines, but you need money, more money than I have. The engines are 40k apiece and will burn 80 gph combined at max thrust.

But I think an experimental quadjet is an awesome goal.
FTFY;)

How about a TriJet with an after burning engine out of an F-104 or Mig-21 centerline to take you vertically through RVSM, then cruise on small engines.

I'm in for the paint scheme. Since we're going to Lowe's you OK with Valspar?

I'm in for the paint scheme. Since we're going to Lowe's you OK with Valspar?

Only if you go with the metallic Valspar. It requires a special roller to put on and extra coats, but looks cool! Or maybe that eggshell paint, would that be like a golf ball?

Maybe a McDonnell 220?

Model220blog1.jpg

I have a bunch of corrugated metal that we saved from a tornado ravaged barn .

Will Home Depot paint work on galvanized steel?

I like the design, although the JetStar looks cooler.

And we're doing Lowes paint, not Home Depot. Huge difference.

You will need a 2/3 size P*ssy Galore to go with your JetStar.

:D

Nobody gets my Goldfinger reference? Yes, it was a JetStar.

Last edited:
Why not just stick some jets on a 340, or maybe a Commander? That would save a lot of garage time.

Why not just stick some jets on a 340, or maybe a Commander? That would save a lot of garage time.

You're missing the point. This isn't just about going fast, it's about going fast awesomely.

Too bad climbing through rvsm airspace still requires an rvsm airplane. (Of course, unless you get ATC approval)

Too bad climbing through rvsm airspace still requires an rvsm airplane. (Of course, unless you get ATC approval)

You need ATC approval to be there even in an RVSM airplane, since it's Class A airspace, so I'm not sure I see your point.

Back