Want to Build an Experimental Lockheed JetStar

You need ATC approval to be there even in an RVSM airplane, since it's Class A airspace, so I'm not sure I see your point.

We are in agreement. Sorry if my post was not clear.

You need ATC approval to be there even in an RVSM airplane, since it's Class A airspace, so I'm not sure I see your point.

I guess I should have said ATC can keep you below FL290 if you are not RVSM. They don't have to let you climb through to FL430 if you're not RVSM.

A turboprop Aerostar would be badass.

Bobbie Allison did that years ago... Then he was critically injured in a crash at Pocono with major brain damage and that program was sidelined...:sad:

I guess I should have said ATC can keep you below FL290 if you are not RVSM. They don't have to let you climb through to FL430 if you're not RVSM.

Right, and this is always the question - one PoAer had to fly a non-RVSM'd Lear 25 from somewhere out west to Estonia (Europe) all below RVSM because they wouldn't let him climb above. I hate to think the fuel bill...

True...

But we climbed through it a couple times without a problem before we got our LOA. That said, we were in a somewhat less-populated part of the country.

You're missing the point. This isn't just about going fast, it's about going fast awesomely.

Take 2 tip tanks from an F-104 and take the center section from one and make it a fuel tank in the middle of the other, then use the tail for the wings. Put a bubble forward and use 3 F-33s and build after burners for them. Then build a scale tail ala the F-104N that houses either a solid or H2O2 rocket. You may need ablative paint for the nose and leading edges.:D

If you're really badass, dare them to try and stop you.

True...

But we climbed through it a couple times without a problem before we got our LOA. That said, we were in a somewhat less-populated part of the country.

I've heard a lot of similar stories of being able to climb/descend straight through without issues. It seems like local knowledge you'd have to know first hand to really determine whether it was a viable option.

Had to make that request on the Lear24 and 25s I flew a few years back. Most times we got the climb fairly expeditiously. If it was hot and we were heavy, those last few thousand feet to FL430 were at rather pathetic rates of climb. Don't remember any ATC complaints though.

Lance, could you define "rather pathetic?"

At the top of the climb close to zero.

Most 24 & 25s still floating around have modified wings. I know the ones I flew did. There were a number of different changes available over the years. In any case with those we were slow, but not dangerously close to stall. Never had a stick shaker or pusher go off.

Interesting, Lance, thanks for the info.

The Cheyenne was unhappy near its service ceiling (worn out engines). I once filed for FL250 in it and the boss's response was "You filed for 250?! You never file 250 in this piece of ****! This is gonna suck..."

80 kt tailwind made up for it (70 @ 230), but we were under 500 FPM for the last 2k feet.

Back