Waas subscriptions

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
hello.
Buying a plane w a 430w in it. If I buy a second 430w do I have to buy two subscriptions for waas in both units?
Also, has a ka135 audio panel. Is there a good slide in replacement for that unit that may sound better?
Thanks

hello.
Buying a plane w a 430w in it. If I buy a second 430w do I have to buy two subscriptions for waas in both units?
Also, has a ka135 audio panel. Is there a good slide in replacement for that unit that may sound better?
Thanks

I don't know the answer but I have a plane with a single 530. Have never felt the need for a second gns, curious your thinking? I feel fine with a traditional second nav com vor (actually sounds better than the gns), plus an iPad and iPhone with ForeFlight....

The answer is on jeppesens site under aviation / avionics... also check Garmin pricing but I use jepp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin has a thing called OnePak. It licenses the subscriptions to the Tail number, not the device. Doesn't have to be the same model, as long as it's Garmin, so you could 530w over 430w which looks really cool in the panel.

Also, you don't have to have TWO WAAS (Might want to) but you could do a straight 430 and save some money for 100LL

In my case I have 430W, GPSMAP696, and Garmin Pilot for a single annual price.

[Pilot is only there for passengers to play with a tablet without effecting anything I'm ACTUALLY using to fly]

Jepp also has a multigps discount. It's more than one, but less than twice.

hello.
Thanks

Just to clarify (in case there is a misunderstanding - due to some of your wording) - you aren't subscribing to "WAAS" - that's a level of GPS accuracy that you get with a WAAS-capable receiver like the 430W. You're subscribing to the navigation database to use for IFR.

To be fair, you don't need a current database for the magenta line to work. ;)

Huh? If Primary fails you don't want #2 to be current? I don't understand that advice.

If the #1 fails and you need to do an approach you can switch the database to #2. Otherwise, for enroute and terminal (other than approach) you can verify the locations of the waypoints and be legal.

If the #1 fails and you need to do an approach you can switch the database to #2. Otherwise, for enroute and terminal (other than approach) you can verify the locations of the waypoints and be legal.

So you advocate ~$6k for a secondary that you won't keep up to date? hee hee. Good luck doing the card switch during an actual event.

Straight up foolish point to make.

If one GNS is WAAS and the other isn't, the units can't talk to each other. That said, if you have a iPad and a second nav com, you have emergency redundancy without the expense of another 430.

And by the way... my #2 is an SL-30. So if my 430W is out of service I'm already diverting. If/when I have dual navigators I'm going to continue to ignore the advice of keeping expired data in either of them.

If one GNS is WAAS and the other isn't, the units can't talk to each other. That said, if you have a iPad and a second nav com, you have emergency redundancy without the expense of another 430.

I think you mean the cards are not interchangeable. That part is known true. I have never heard that the other features are also disabled.

And, for reference, this started from a failure of one GPS, not the interoperability of the two.

I won't touch the iPad comment.

Aren't there enough gps / ILS approaches nearby that don't require waas ? I mean, good enough if there's a failure???

I'm not waas savvy so I'm not sure... hence my question.

I think you mean the cards are not interchangeable. That part is known true. I have never heard that the other features are also disabled.

Crossfill doesn't work if one system is WAAS and the other isn't.

but the plate your flying last updated in 2004.....why does your box need to be updated to this month's date?

From a practical perspective? I'm not sure it does.

From a legal perspective? Because the AFMS says so.

Aren't there enough gps / ILS approaches nearby that don't require waas ? I mean, good enough if there's a failure???

The non precision approaches are going away and being supplanted by WAAS approaches. We lost one of two at my field and gained a WAAS approach. I don't see new ILSs being added at non air carrier airports.

But yes in an emergency you can usually get to an ILS most places.

The non precision approaches are going away and being supplanted by WAAS approaches. We lost one of two at my field and gained a WAAS approach. I don't see new ILSs being added at non air carrier airports.

But yes in an emergency you can usually get to an ILS most places.

We don't have waas at the airline, but manage to have access to many GPS approaches. What am I missing?

It's nice having the complementary vnav, you get a glideslope on many (even non WAAS) approaches with you have a WAAS box, plus I'd take a LPV over a ILS anyway

We don't have waas at the airline, but manage to have access to many GPS approaches. What am I missing?

You can't fly em to precision approach minimums like an ILS

You can't fly em to precision approach minimums like an ILS

That's true... but how often does it really get that low that you wouldn't be heading somewhere with multiple ILS's in case of failures?
Perhaps I've been out of GA too long.

It's nice having the complementary vnav, you get a glideslope on many (even non WAAS) approaches with you have a WAAS box, plus I'd take a LPV over a ILS anyway
I do get your point, to a point. Redundancy is always good, but I think an ILS is a fine back up.

I do get your point, to a point. Redundancy is always good, but I think an ILS is a fine back up.

For sure, but if it hit the fan, I'd sooner shoot a LPV

For sure, but if it hit the fan, I'd sooner shoot a LPV
Well perhaps that may be true for GA. As I said I have been away from GA for a while and not familiar with waas.
That said, we are Cat IIIB certified so that will generally be sufficient at large airports...

But I do understand your point. This thread is about a GA airplane, not an airliner.

At many runways the minimums are identical. I'd say "most," but this is POA!!

A non WAAS approach mostly has ils minimums? LPV approaches have close to or the same as ILS minimums but not non WAAS non precision approaches. Am I understanding what you're saying?

Well perhaps that may be true for GA. As I said I have been away from GA for a while and not familiar with waas.
That said, we are Cat IIIB certified so that will generally be sufficient at large airports...

But I do understand your point. This thread is about a GA airplane, not an airliner.

The T layout of a new LPV approach is easier to fly than an ILS (not that either is hard) and the ability to have the layout consistent from approach to approach because land based navaids aren't in the mix is the main reason why...

Back