[Video] Cat IIIb Landing

That was above cat II mins it's even better when you don't see the runway until you feel the wheels touch.

Bob

Yep Cat I and not quite Cat II I'd say. Close to Cat II though. Definitely not Cat III, although the pilot may have been shooting a Cat III approach.

Is there a list of indications which call for a missed on autoland approaches?
Just wondering under what circumstances they would be required to bail.

Is there a list of indications which call for a missed on autoland approaches?
Just wondering under what circumstances they would be required to bail.
Yeah, there are, but they involve system errors or failures with the aircraft for the most part. They are typically accompanied by an aural and visual indication.

Oh, and obviously a loss of glide slope or localizer would call for a missed.

Here's a real CATIII in a B767. Visibility was 175m (just under 600').

You'll hear the "Land 3" call. "Land 3" is displayed on the autoland status annunciator (ASA) when the aircraft is configured for a full fail-active autoland which doesn't require the crew to see the runway prior to landing. It can drop to "Land 2", if certain equipment malfunctions, which would be a fail-passive autoland which has a 50' DH where the crew must see the runway at 50' (radar altitude) to allow the autoland to continue. If system failures dropped it below "Land 2" you'd get a "No Autoland" on the ASA and you'd be restricted to CAT I approaches. Here are more details for those interested: http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/RoboLander_files/AutolandFailmodes.htm

There was another good one I posted several months back. I believe it was in India.

Must be a very good system. I never read about incidents involving it.

I was told about a successful CatIII landing at Frankfurt in fog so thick, they couldn't find their way to taxiways and gate. And when someone sent a Follow Me vehicle out, that vehicle couldn't find the aircraft.

On the first vid, what is the verbal annunciation saying 3 times once on the ground?

Don't usually like music in videos, but this one was done pretty well!

So I guess we agree here?? Not sure of your point.
I guess we agree. Same landing could be nice to me and firm to you. Bottom line is that you want them a little firm to get the wheels to spin up on touch down in case the runway might be a little slick.

I guess we agree. Same landing could be nice to me and firm to you. Bottom line is that you want them a little firm to get the wheels to spin up on touch down in case the runway might be a little slick.
Okay....

the airbus auto-thrust system does not move the thrust levers, they stay in the detent the entire time. once the computer goes into land mode it reduces the thrust to idle at round out, but the levers are still in the detent. to set the computers up i to taxi the aircraft the system tells you to retard the levers. it depends on how fast you get them back, you may get one retard or a couple of them.

bob

Ummmm..... I haven't seen any cats yet.....

db02c06e62244de1387953039cdadfc9--cockpit-funny-cartoons.jpg

I was told about a successful CatIII landing at Frankfurt in fog so thick, they couldn't find their way to taxiways and gate. And when someone sent a Follow Me vehicle out, that vehicle couldn't find the aircraft.
Wasn't that the cool Air Force story from Rammstein? (pronounced properly as "Rahm-sch-tine")
I am sure someone can work their google-fu and produce a link. I am A) not good at googling B) lazy today. :)

Back