Variation of a theme, how many check rides?

Tools

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tools
Have you done?

Sort of a vague question...

With an APD, DPE or FED; or military equivalent, probably only 20 or so.

But, if you consider 15 Part 121 schools (stage checks, maneuver vals, line oriented training, IOE);20 years part 121 with associated feds on jump seat, line checks, recurrent; my ATP (to date ONLY part 91 ride! Looking at MEI add on and part 141 chief instructor rides in next couple months); and 4 military schools averaging 10 stages per school, plus yearly NATOPS and instrument checks and CARQUALs (not really check rides but tubing these could get you a FNAEB)... 150-200 check rides, that would be “reportable”.

Not counting 30-40 I gave or BFR/IPCs received, insurance rides or in-squadron currency checks like weapon pattern, section/division lead quals and such.

Just never really thought about it.

Ya well... there’s two I DIDN'T take! Ha! Ironic... and now I gotta study like mad for them... even more ironic. You win!

Yep… I’m probably in the 100’s.
Probably low end, but I’m not counting exactly.

ETA.. now that I’m trying to calculate, it’s probably closer to 75..??

Too many. PPL, Glider, 10 in pilot training, and then what was it, every 17 months we had an inst/qual check and mission check? Then the type rating, and airline PCs. Since 1983, this past 18 months is the longest I've gone without one.

Something over 80…I did three a year for a lot of years.

not counting differences orals for other models.

Just the usual lame two, ASEL and IR. After retirement I just may get the commercial, no real plans for it, it just sounds like a fun ride to take.

So far, I have only taken one. That will probably change in the future. :)

I did everything through a 141 school. Checkrides 3. Stage Checks, probably another 15 or so.

So far my number of checkrides is the same as my number of ratings.

Anyone have a mismatch?

Couldn’t even count. Single digit FAA rides. Countless .mil.

My first lesson was August 2018: PPL, IR, CSEL, CFI, CFII, CMEL, King Air 90 SIC check, Citation II SIC Check.

So, 8. Hoping for ATP and first PIC type rating this spring.

Pass or fail type rides? Around 25...with one failure (PPL). :( Quarterly training, aircraft upgrades, mountain qual, sling loads, desert qual, etc, etc. Probably another 25.

Anyone have a mismatch?

PP, IR, multi private, multi commercial, Single engine commercial, CFI, CFII, ATP. Total 8 check rides

Well, actually 10. Including the two re-rides.... IR and ATP.

Not counting endless 6 month check rides in the 135 world.

Five: SEL PPL, IR, multi engine land, C510S type rating and C525S type rating (ink still wet on the last one this week). May do ATP at some point in the future and will have a 61.58 ride every year going forward in either the 510 or 525 which I can alternate and keep everything current.

A funny correlation. My boy at the Air Force Academy is prepping for his Private written. Not too worried, he got his Part 107 several years ago, he’ll be good to go. But, I never even got my PPL back in the day. So he’ll have his Part 107, and PPL before me…and he got his jump wings last summer - another thing I’ve never done (why?!). He reminds me regularly. But I will always out-rank him:D

Last edited:
A funny correlation. My boy at the Air Force Academy is prepping for his Private written. No too worried, he got his Part 107 several years ago, he’ll be good to go. But, I never even got my PPL back in the day. So he’ll have his Part 107, and PPL before me…and he got his jump wings last summer - another thing I’ve never done (why?!). He reminds me regularly. But I will always out-rank him:D
I got one-up on my dad with my single-engine ATP. ;)

I took (and passed) 4 checkrides in the same month on the same make/model aircraft.

I had just taken my 293/297/299 checkrides for a company who's contract was being taken over by another. Had to take them all again for the new company.

2 with a DPE

Five: PP, IR, Single Com, CFI, CFII

I got one-up on my dad with my single-engine ATP. ;)

Pops has me beat with 42 years of an aviation career, never sitting behind a desk. I can't beat that...ever. But for me going forward, my office will be at FL410. Not too late to turn my passion and Guard career into a full-time job with the big iron. And I'm proud to say my boy is carrying the torch for the 5th generation in aviation!

Back