Van's RV-15 high Wing

I think the BD-4C would fit my niche perfectly, assuming the claims of it being aerobatic are true. I just can't find one for sale, which is the typical issue with this hobby anymore. Keep building 'em boys, those of us in captive audience land need something to escape to when you're done with 'em.
Actually, there's a BEDE-4C quick build center that will put together a BEDE-4C fuselage, sans engine and avionics in 6 months with you needing to be there 20 days. That's my idea of Quick Build! (And the build doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either).

Actually, there's a BEDE-4C quick build center that will put together a BEDE-4C fuselage, sans engine and avionics in 6 months with you needing to be there 20 days. That's my idea of Quick Build! (And the build doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either).

Got a link/reference? I'd be interested in researching more about this option. An experimental Arrow speeds while FG, for significantly less than an RV-10 or Sling TSi (price points that aren't worth it to me, as a non-builder), is something I'd be willing to pivot into without the added burden of a 2 airplane setup. Admittedly I haven't sat on a BD-4C, the wing spar cabin fit requires some evaluation from looking at YT videos. If I can legally do gentleman's acro in a -4C, then I'm probably sold.

I saw one at Osh last year. While interesting, it lacked any real refinement, but that could have been just builder choice. Seemed a bit smallish too.
The main discouragement I've picked up from reading, is that the performance numbers advertised during design, were never realized.

Got a link/reference? I'd be interested in researching more about this option. An experimental Arrow speeds while FG, for significantly less than an RV-10 or Sling TSi (price points that aren't worth it to me, as a non-builder), is something I'd be willing to pivot into without the added burden of a 2 airplane setup. Admittedly I haven't sat on a BD-4C, the wing spar cabin fit requires some evaluation from looking at YT videos. If I can legally do gentleman's acro in a -4C, then I'm probably sold.

I happened onto this guy's site a few years back. The main thing I worry about really is the spar that seems to be at forehead level. But I think you can mitigate that with a transparent ceiling and seat cushion design. I need to sit in one.

https://cheerfulcurmudgeon.com/bede-bd-4c/

With 200 HP engine, his numbers:
5,500 Feet Altitude, 130 HP (65% power)
Indicated Airspeed 122 knots
True Airspeed 138 knots
Fuel Flow 9.5 gallons/hour

9,500 Feet Altitude, 130 HP (65% power)
Indicated Airspeed 117 knots
True Airspeed 141 knots
Fuel Flow 9.1 gallons/hour

I happened onto this guy's site a few years back. The main thing I worry about really is the spar that seems to be at forehead level. But I think you can mitigate that with a transparent ceiling and seat cushion design. I need to sit in one.

https://cheerfulcurmudgeon.com/bede-bd-4c/

Yeah, I saw his site a few years back, as he sold his Arrow (which is what I'm trying to replace too) for that contraption. I just don't have the almost decade it took him to build and start flying it in earnest. Performance numbers seem adequate, but I do have to take a look at that back seat, not sure if it's workable. Very few out there, so finding one to sit in has been a challenge. Inflation is wrecking everything right now, so not in a real hurry to get into a second airplane; I got time. Thanks for the response nonetheless!

I was really thinking hard about this one. However, I spoke to a test pilot/engineer that left on bad terms and he said to stay away from Bede aircraft. Mostly because of sketchy business than safety.

I like the low wings but considered a high wing for the reason you mentioned ... then I remembered that you have to climb up to fuel the high wing using the step stool you brought with you. Unless it was forgotten ... :)

Have always been a high wing driver but I'd guess I add gas about every 4 flights on average, so every 4 flights or so someone, usually myself, is climbing up a ladder to add fuel. That doesn't even consider how many times I enter/exit the airplane loading/unloading personal belongings, or cleaning it out.

That is stark difference than every flight climbing up onto a wing and then through the single door on a Bo or Cherokee, and doing the same dang thing when I left something in there and need to get it.

I do most of the maintenance on the family airplanes and its so much easier on a high wing Cessna when doing avionics or similar than doing that on Bo or Cherokee. Just getting my hand onto the fuel gauges in a Debonair was sending my patients into the toilet a few years ago.

That is stark difference than every flight climbing up onto a wing and then through the single door on a Bo or Cherokee, and doing the same dang thing when I left something in there and need to get it.

Was working with a friend yesterday assisting on his high wing. Got tiresome ducking the wing and walking into the strut ... ;)

Was working with a friend yesterday assisting on his high wing. Got tiresome ducking the wing and walking into the strut ... ;)
But walking all the way around the wing is not tiresome?

But walking all the way around the wing is not tiresome?

Its insane.

My Cessna 177 lives in a T hangar with a 4 foot by 8 foot table, two roller cabinet tool boxes and a 2005 Grand Marquis, and nothing needs moved to get the airplane out or in. When my parents visit we put their car in there too if the weather hail risk is present.

I thought I might be able to get my 1979 Dodge D200 in the same hangar but without lowering the pickup I didn't see a way to make that practical.

Last edited:
I grew up flying Cessna's. I've been flying our RV-10 since 2015. For me, the only pro of a low wing is easy fueling. As a result my next plane will be a high wing, it just won't be an RV-15.

So walk all the way around the high wing. Problem solved. o_O

Still have the "climb up on the thing to fuel it" problem. Besides ... low wings ROCK. I know you know that! ;)

Great looking airplane. Is that a fuel tank in the right seat in the pics?

Great looking airplane. Is that a fuel tank in the right seat in the pics?

Yes, but it's for the prototype only. They put it there to expedite getting the prototype out of the shop and flying and to simplify managing weight configurations during testing. The final kit version will have wet wings like most of the other RV's.

More planes = good thing!

I do think it's funny how some people bemoan how RVs are overwhelming the market and how tired they are of the whole RV 'thing'... Yet this thread alone is the most popular (as far as number of replies) on this message board for quite a while going back in history. Love 'em or hate 'em', they do drum up opinions and discussion.

yeah, I've been keeping my eyes open for kit ideas...and as much as I look for options other than Van's...just as a point of comparison and contrast...I keep falling short and landing back on teh Van's site daydreaming about if I want to try building one....
Not really seeing much else to compete in many ways...

Back