Van's RV-15 high Wing

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
so what's your speculation about it?

I spent some time...quite a bit of it....at the Van's tent at Sun n Fun. Speaking with Greg Hughes he mentioned an upcoming announcement for a high wing RV-15. Of course he didn't tell much...just that it's top secret, high wing, back country, and that they hope to be ready to announce at Airventure. Apparently they're still in testing and development.....

I was going to ask what their motivation for making it high wing is, but some RV builder came up while we were talking and started showing him photos of his own build..... and de-railed my conversation.... oh well.
Trying to have a conversation at a trade show like that is kinda like trying to talk with a popular person at a party...it can't be long or very in depth.

Back country is being stressed so seems to me that they are going after the carbon cub/husky/Scout market.

Anyway, I was daydreaming pretty hard about a retirement project. Their RV-14 checks a lot of boxes for me....not all, but a lot....but I'm really struggling with the no doors and no opening windows.....
I know that neither of these should be a big deal pretty much most of the time
But thinking back...a high number of flights I've had in cessnas involved opening a window for taxi....I haven't flown low wings nearly as much, but popping open the door for taxi I recall being common.
And maybe a lessor thing, but I've got some fond memories of flying with windows open....especially in my little bit of Aeronca Champ time...low and slow was somehow pretty great with open windows.

There are a gazillion threads on this but I'll chime in. I am doubtful what they build will be this as STOL seems to be the hot thing even though most people fly those planes around to normal airports.

Wish List:
1. Maintain the Vans total performance moto. Aerobatic, cruise speeds around 130-150 kts on 180 hp, RV9 stall speed.
2. an opening window of some sort
3. High wing of course for sight seeing
4. Folding wings would be nice but probably not practical with the other wish list items.

I think a Decathlon or Citabria is a great all around airplane and there isn't really anything like them on the experimental market.

so what's your speculation about it?

I spent some time...quite a bit of it....at the Van's tent at Sun n Fun. Speaking with Greg Hughes he mentioned an upcoming announcement for a high wing RV-15. Of course he didn't tell much...just that it's top secret, high wing, back country, and that they hope to be ready to announce at Airventure. Apparently they're still in testing and development.....

I was going to ask what their motivation for making it high wing is, but some RV builder came up while we were talking and started showing him photos of his own build..... and de-railed my conversation.... oh well.
Trying to have a conversation at a trade show like that is kinda like trying to talk with a popular person at a party...it can't be long or very in depth.

Back country is being stressed so seems to me that they are going after the carbon cub/husky/Scout market.

Anyway, I was daydreaming pretty hard about a retirement project. Their RV-14 checks a lot of boxes for me....not all, but a lot....but I'm really struggling with the no doors and no opening windows.....
I know that neither of these should be a big deal pretty much most of the time
But thinking back...a high number of flights I've had in cessnas involved opening a window for taxi....I haven't flown low wings nearly as much, but popping open the door for taxi I recall being common.
And maybe a lessor thing, but I've got some fond memories of flying with windows open....especially in my little bit of Aeronca Champ time...low and slow was somehow pretty great with open windows.
I'd say their motivation is they think it will sell. If they can follow the train of thought that led to the Cardinal, I'm gonna say they'll have winner.

Apparently a tailwheel rv12 is too much to ask for...

just keep building them, any of them. Us pariah nOn-bUiLdErs need something turn key to get out from under the boot of fac-built with. Plus I need more market saturation so resale prices go lower on the 6s. :D

I agree it should be a high wing traveler, not another bush plane. RV10/14 high wing.

just keep building them, any of them. Us pariah nOn-bUiLdErs need something turn key to get out from under the boot of fac-built with. Plus I need more market saturation so resale prices go lower on the 6s. :D
shhhhhh

I'd say their motivation is they think it will sell. If they can follow the train of thought that led to the Cardinal, I'm gonna say they'll have winner.
Cardinal...what do you mean? a C-177?

There are a gazillion threads on this but I'll chime in. I am doubtful what they build will be this as STOL seems to be the hot thing even though most people fly those planes around to normal airports.

Wish List:
1. Maintain the Vans total performance moto. Aerobatic, cruise speeds around 130-150 kts on 180 hp, RV9 stall speed.
2. an opening window of some sort
3. High wing of course for sight seeing
4. Folding wings would be nice but probably not practical with the other wish list items.

I think a Decathlon or Citabria is a great all around airplane and there isn't really anything like them on the experimental market.

I searched only quickly but didn't find previous threads on it... must have missed it.
I agree about the decathlon/citabria.... The Champ was just about the most fun I had in all the flying I did and have from time to time daydreamed about having something like it. Those newer versions of the Champ with more power and abilities certainly would likely be a good all around airplane as you said.
I'd hope for a cruise more than 130 though. 150+ cruise would be good.....
and enough baggage capacity for travel
IFR capable
I'd also add high enough wing loading for decent ride in turbulence
and my preference is side by side seating, but my bet is that it will be tandem in-line....

Friend of mine had an absolutely tricked out RV6 that he sold just before the market got hot (sold it for 50k) ... new owner sold it for 75k a few weeks ago :eek:

Iirc at the osh announcement, they said it wasn't going to be a stol plane, rather a backcountry capable traveling machine. Sounds like basically a high wing rv10. If they're smart (and they are) they'll offer it tailwheel or trike. Basically an experimental 180/182.

ooo, if that's the case then I definitely might be considering that as a project! Even though I've never done any back country flying and probably never will...just like the idea of something that can carry a bit of a load and travel, big enough to be stable and roomy....but that could be a balance against economic fuel burn....

I don't know....on the surface anyway the RV 14 looks to really fit my wants for a retirement project...don't really need the extra seats. Just need to figure out how to have opening doors and windows.

My guess is an experimental Cessna180. Rv's are cheap, efficient "corvettes" for the sky... there seems to be need for a cheap, efficient "Jeep Wrangler" of the sky.

neat, an upside-down RV8. Guessing powered by an O-320 or so and doing somewhere between 160 and 180mph.

Those vans R&D types must be working around the clock :D

Just Aircraft's Escapade and Highlander models can be conventional or trike. Or switched back and forth.

I’m very interested! I have an RV-8A. It’s like sitting a reflector oven, even with the fabric sunshade in place. It’s also cramped, especially for a passenger.

The -15 might be just the ticket. Better view of the world below (which is a big part of why I fly), easier access, more comfortable. If it can cruise at 120, good enough. It’s also going to probably be the easiest, quickest build RV yet. Of course it’s likely going to be at least another year until kits are for sale.

Im underwhelmed unless its a lot cheaper than a sportsman whats the benefit. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of 2 seat semi stol aircraft in the homebuild market.

neat, an upside-down RV8. Guessing powered by an O-320 or so and doing somewhere between 160 and 180mph.

My gauge is the RV-9, which won't do 200 mph on 160 hp. With struts, a taller fuselage, and that big 'ol gear, I don't think the -15 will be anywhere close to the -9 unless they hang the IO-390 on it.

Im underwhelmed unless its a lot cheaper than a sportsman whats the benefit. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of 2 seat semi stol aircraft in the homebuild market.
It will certainly be cheaper than a Sportsman. I’d guess the kit will be under 40k. Plus being all aluminum is a plus to some. I’ll be disappointed if it can’t at least do 150-160 mph. I had also hoped they would retain the aerobatic qualities that most of their other designs have but it doesn’t look like that was it’s design intent.

True, there are a lot of competitors in the 2-seat market, but this may be an entrance into that market that paves the way for a 4-seat model in a few years. They might have a C170/C180 offering if they can get the RV-15 design proved out.

I think I’d rather have an S-21 unless this comes out cheaper, faster, or aerobatic.

My gauge is the RV-9, which won't do 200 mph on 160 hp. With struts, a taller fuselage, and that big 'ol gear, I don't think the -15 will be anywhere close to the -9 unless they hang the IO-390 on it.

Yeah, that resonates. I was more playing along the lines of -- the whole RV line looks nearly identical to me. But I use a plane as a travel appliance, so I view them all through the numbers lens. I know others cherish the acrobatics or efficiency or ability to do a flight of five overhead break formation landing and terrorize the local untowered field like locusts.

To me, though, every RV may as well be named Blue Steel, Ferrari, or Le Tigre, because this new Magnum looks like more of the same to me. :D

(That twin RV6 looked interesting. I understand Van poo-poohed it. Shame. :D )

Complaining that someone didn't design the experimental amateur-built airplane *you* want seems counterproductive. If it doesn't look, work, or fly like you want it to, change it yourself or find something else.

Those vans R&D types must be working around the clock :D
Yeah, designing airplanes is a snap. That's why all these new airplanes that look just like older airplanes are so successful right out of the gate.

Nauga,
old school

Complaining that someone didn't design the experimental amateur-built airplane *you* want seems counterproductive. If it doesn't look, work, or fly like you want it to, change it yourself or find something else.

Yeah, designing airplanes is a snap. That's why all these new airplanes that look just like older airplanes are so successful right out of the gate.

Nauga,
old school

Fair. I'll own my being boorish here.

My actual complaint is they have a dozen models of what I perceive as the same thing, not simply they don't have MY thing. I have a pile of media channels heralding this sneak peek and im unclear why it's a yay.

I'll STFU though. I actually regret shoving my first oar in, since this is a yay for someone, and I don't want to yuck their yum. I don't need to understand it. :D

/Mea culpa

I like the concept of the RV-15. True, it’s not a ground breaking design, but you know it will be properly engineered and tested, with good manufacturer support (unlike some other offerings.) That’s worth something.

I think the BD-4C would fit my niche perfectly, assuming the claims of it being aerobatic are true. I just can't find one for sale, which is the typical issue with this hobby anymore. Keep building 'em boys, those of us in captive audience land need something to escape to when you're done with 'em.

It does seem to be a pretty saturated market...

The -15 may not have been designed with aerobatics in mind, but knowing Van's, it's probably strong enough for gentleman's aerobatics... after all, you can loop and roll a J-3 Cub, and being experimental there are no restrictions.

It may be just another bushplane kit from a functionality standpoint, but being from Van's it'll be the easiest and fastest to build and hold its value better.

Reading through the comments on the VAF site it seems many people aren't thrilled yet, hopefully the performance numbers will change that. Everyone is comparing it to the Murphy Rebel but I have no doubt it will be faster. The wing doesn't look as fat or as wide in cord as the rebel and it will likely have flush rivets like all the other RV's. It appears to have a stabilator like the S21. I'm not sure what they expected from Vans looks wise. Obviously they were going to try their best to share parts and tooling with the current lineup to save cost and well to be honest, RV's just aren't very attractive to begin with.

My own observations:
Wing looks very similar to the RV9 with fowler flaps.
Sounds like a big engine so hopefully the added power will offset the drag from the taller profile and struts. Cruise around 180 mph?
I'd guess the kit price will be in the same ball park as an RV14 40-45k.
Overall I'd guess it's a step up from an S21, designed for more HP for better performance at a similar cost. Call it an ugly budget minded 2 place sportsman that will most likely have a 4 place sibling if the market responds.

Oh looks like Cessna + an STC beat them to the punch by ~70 years. (Hint, it's an early model 150 that's tailwheel converted)
291714484_1464844303951470_3794155424131165953_n.jpg

It looks like it might have manual flaps. I like manual flaps. The wing position seems to be flawed, however, being on top instead of on the bottom.

Back