Upscale eating

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Since food threads are popular right now...

My wife and I have, on occasion, tried to expand our horizons to one of those "fancy" places. I'm speaking of something that looks like what someone in a movie takes their date to- everyone has to be dressed up, you have waiters in suits, soft music, and of course you're spending at least $30 and probably closer to $50/60 per plate plus drinks.

Every single time it has been pretty much the same experience. We make our reservations ahead of time, we get there and there is much pomp and circumstance. Everything very classy, everyone very well dressed, etc, etc... and the food is always very well prepared. Very well prepared with very bland and basic flavoring. Nothing special, nothing I couldn't probably replicate at home and do better, utterly forgettable, and for the price very disappointing. I cannot recall one of these places where I have the slightest desire to return to even if the meal was free.

Is this just me? I've been to a TON of great mid range and hole in the wall type places. There is a cuban/mexican place in Titusville, FL just north of KTIX that we found just because it was the first place that looked good after we landed. Best taco I've ever had and I intend to return there again.

I could rattle off a number of places with great pizza in various towns in the US. I always find the best Chinese food in any area I spend a significant amount of time in. Lots of good burger places, a few good seafood restaurants.... I've pretty much given up on steak in restaurants because so few of them can manage to do it right. But not a one of my favorites is what anyone would call high end. Am I just too plebian to appreciate understated flavorings? Or is what you're paying for in those places the ambiance not the food?

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is the biggest joke I've been to in a while. For what you pay, the food is very generic. Will not be back.

I feel the same way. Some of my favorite restaurants are, while not necessarily cheap, not high-end either.

You have not been to Le Bernardin in NYC. Frequently voted #1 or #2 in NYC. VERY expensive but worth it as a splurge evening. Reservations required!

I agree 100% with cowman. The most expensive places I've ate have been the biggest disappointments. The food does not live up to the price and they are often staffed with pretentious fools who make too big a big deal of presentation.

The only expensive food I do is hibachi. There's a really good place about 15 minutes from my house.

There's a reason many of the 5-star chefs eat at dives. That's where the good food is. ;)

We only on the rarest of occasions eat at such establishments. Most of the eateries we frequent are ethnic, ecsht, and delicious.

Speaking of ethnic foods one thing we're definitely missing in our rural midwestern area is a good Indian place... well really any Indian place within an hour drive. I wish we had some shawarma kabob places too.

Most GA airport restaurants seem to be pretty general sandwich/burger type places.... maybe pizza or similar. I like all that stuff but I could really go for a $100 Kabob or Curry run.

My wife and I have, on occasion, tried to expand our horizons to one of those "fancy" places. I'm speaking of something that looks like what someone in a movie takes their date to- everyone has to be dressed up, you have waiters in suits, soft music, and of course you're spending at least $30 and probably closer to $50/60 per plate plus drinks.

$50/$60 per plate is not a fancy place. It's at the uncomfortable high mid-end range, and you're not going to get fantastic food at that.

The next 10 times you think about doing that, save up that money instead. Then splurge it once at The French Laundry (or Le Bernardin from what I've heard, though I'm not crazy about having to pick my own menu at a 3-star level restaurant. Part of the experience is having the menu set by the Chef).

You're going to be paying around $500 per plate if you get all the supplements (which you absolutely should), and then wine is extra on top of that. But the experience is worth it in every single way.

I would MUCH rather eat out 10 times less, and the times I do make it really count.

Some of the nicer restaurants in SF (e.g. Gary Danko) can run in the $100's per person. And they are fantastic...when you're not paying for it! Pro tip: if a meal has a cheese course or sorbet to "clean the palate" between courses, get someone else to pick up the check.

Finding the good "expensive" places to go to..... This is one reason I really like cities/communities that do food festivals where you pay a flat admission fee, they invite the restaurants to bring their food, and you get a chance to sample bites of their menus.

We got very spoiled by our old neighbors. Strongest cocktails and best food I've ever eaten. There are certain dishes (paella being one) I can't order in reasturants any more because theirs is so much better. They rarely ate out for the same reason. Refused to consider opening a reasturant since that would take the fun out of it.

Some of the nicer restaurants in SF (e.g. Gary Danko) can run in the $100's per person. And they are fantastic...when you're not paying for it! Pro tip: if a meal has a cheese course or sorbet to "clean the palate" between courses, get someone else to pick up the check.

And even the dives -- in some cases ESPECIALLY the dives -- in SF have good food. Like, there is one hell of a good Turkish dive across the street from the main library, where everyone can eat for under $10 each. The best Chinese food I've found in Chinatown was some attic two blocks off Stockton St. I just stumbled into; but there is almost as good stuff in Richmond without the tourists or expensive parking. There is a Korean hole in the wall in upper Sunset near the old Shriners Hospital that I really like. The places that aren't worth it are those with Zagat ratings in the window and busloads of tourists out front, or pretty much anything near Pier 39.

I've only been to a handful of high end restaurants that were impressive, food-wise... and I used to travel on a company credit card, and entertain customers. (Best part of that field job, really.)

They're always locally owned when they are impressive, and usually family owned. The family takes great pride in their place.

Which also means, they're not in the cities or places you'd really expect them to be. There was one Italian joint in Cincinnati... wow... is all I can say... wow...

And the best fast food cheeseburger I ever had was in a greasy hole in the wall place called "Mr. Onion" in Chicago, of all places.

Most of the time, you're paying for the acting. Everyone's dressed nice, and the place is half dead, so they're out back next to the grease trap, smoking weed with the cook, in between talking to you in soothing tones and oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over your meal selection.

Best steaks I've ever had, were both "cook your own steak" joints. I figure it's because the meat actually had to be good, because it had to LOOK good, before it was cooked... restaurant kitchens hide a lot of evils. Especially in food quality. A good chef can turn crap ingredients into something palatable with a sauce.

I've only been to a handful of high end restaurants that were impressive, food-wise... and I used to travel on a company credit card, and entertain customers. (Best part of that field job, really.)

They're always locally owned when they are impressive, and usually family owned. The family takes great pride in their place.

Which also means, they're not in the cities or places you'd really expect them to be. There was one Italian joint in Cincinnati... wow... is all I can say... wow...

And the best fast food cheeseburger I ever had was in a greasy hole in the wall place called "Mr. Onion" in Chicago, of all places.

Most of the time, you're paying for the acting. Everyone's dressed nice, and the place is half dead, so they're out back next to the grease trap, smoking weed with the cook, in between talking to you in soothing tones and oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over your meal selection.

Best steaks I've ever had, were both "cook your own steak" joints. I figure it's because the meat actually had to be good, because it had to LOOK good, before it was cooked... restaurant kitchens hide a lot of evils. Especially in food quality. A good chef can turn crap ingredients into something palatable with a sauce.

And then, there is Casa Bonita.

The food isn't very good, but the entertainment is, umm, unique. And the location is in an unassuming quasisuburban strip mall far west of central Denver.

I swear that place was designed by an 8 year old with unlimited budget.

The food isn't very good, but the entertainment is, umm, unique. And the location is in an unassuming quasisuburban strip mall far west of central Denver.

They renovated this year, supposedly! Haha... PIREPS are that the military-cafeteria-style mexican food hasn't changed. LOL! That green chili sauce probably isn't supposed to be quite that bright green...

The sopapillas are good, though.

Very few high end places have impressed me enough to return. Usually my wife and i can figure out how to make the meal and make it at home ourselves. But there are some average, unassuming places with great food. Love street tacos, Chinese food, and we know of a great Japanese sushi place that doesn't break the bank and offers plenty of value.

BTW, for the South Florida folks, Rosalita's Tex Mex just west of KLNA was really good at an easy-on-the-pocketbook price.

My buddy swears by Casa Bonita

images

Speaking of a show, Durgin Park comes to mind. True exchange between a friend and waitress (long ago before "servers").

"I'll have the duck"
"Don't, it's terrible"
"Why is it the menu"
"No clue"
"I'll take it"
"You'll be sorry"
"No, I want the duck"
"Ok dummy"

She was right.

One of our local steakhouses, The Pine Club, run in the same location since around 1947 IIRC, doesn't take reservations or credit cards, is jammed every evening, costs around $60-$70 sans drinks and is great.

Cheers

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is the biggest joke I've been to in a while. For what you pay, the food is very generic. Will not be back.
I was stoked when I heard about how great their garlic mashed potatoes were - was in Philly for a Y2K test (don't ask) that went well, so we used the company credit card to reward ourselves. The taters just weren't anything special. I mean, everything was good, but not that $$$$ good.

Did someone seriously just say they are willing to spend $500/plate on something that their body is just going to expel later that night?! Uh, nope.

I have eaten at several high end places... my definition being that it comes out to about $200 total for two people. I've had opposite experiences to most here, as I've enjoyed it each time. Although one place was way too ridiculous with taking away my silverware and replacing it with new silverware every time I so much as blinked.

But I just don't care enough about food to do that kinda fancy dining more than once every few years or so. Plenty of amazing restaurants out there with far better price tags.

I went to a restaurant for a bachelor party last month. The ribeye was 58 dollars an ounce. I'm like "let's just grab hot wings or something" once a meal is over it doesn't matter whether you paid $12 or $1200 for it. It all ends up in the same place. Might as well eat on the cheap.

Speaking of ethnic foods one thing we're definitely missing in our rural midwestern area is a good Indian place... well really any Indian place within an hour drive. I wish we had some shawarma kabob places too.

Most GA airport restaurants seem to be pretty general sandwich/burger type places.... maybe pizza or similar. I like all that stuff but I could really go for a $100 Kabob or Curry run.

Come here! 5 minutes from the airport is a hole in the wall india place. Wife and I eat there weekly. Though for you it wont be a $100 Indian run to Starkville.

Cowman, where are you at? If ever near Louisville, try Le Relias, located in the old terminal building at Bowman field (KLOU). A bit pricey, but probably the best restaurant I've been to worldwide. Small, quiet, French bistro.

http://www.lerelaisrestaurant.com

I am about 80nm NW of St Louis.

We fly into Madisonville, KY a few times per year to visit in-laws so it's entirely possible we might have a good chance to swing in there.

Did someone seriously just say they are willing to spend $500/plate on something that their body is just going to expel later that night?! Uh, nope.

If he dish has enough cheese, and you don't have enough fiber with it, you can hang on to it for another eight hours or so! Bonus! LOL! :)

LoL! I remember going to that place as a kid when visiting my uncle. On another trip out there as an adult, I asked about it, and he just laughed and said, "we aren't going there".

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is the biggest joke I've been to in a while.
Yeah I agree. I am not impressed with them. For a steakhouse they can't seem to get the steaks ever cooked properly. People who want it rare get it well done, and people who want it medium end up with a cool piece of pink meat. Last time the waiter tried explaining that it was the 500* plate they serve the steak on that keeps cooking the food... I was never into the "scalding hot buttery plate" thing

My favorite high end chain restaurant is Capitol Grille

Otherwise I agree, I have not personally seen any real correlation in food dining experience and price

Luckily where I live there are a lot of cool places to try new restaurants across a wide spectrum.. so that keeps things interesting for us

We go out to more 'fancy' restaurants at special occasions like birthdays. Food is usually really good and we enjoy the dinner. We feel more comfortable in more 'normal' restaurants. I have never had a $ 500 / person plate yet... I think I would regret every single bite...

Yeah I agree. I am not impressed with them. For a steakhouse they can't seem to get the steaks ever cooked properly. People who want it rare get it well done, and people who want it medium end up with a cool piece of pink meat. Last time the waiter tried explaining that it was the 500* plate they serve the steak on that keeps cooking the food... I was never into the "scalding hot buttery plate" thing

My favorite high end chain restaurant is Capitol Grille

Otherwise I agree, I have not personally seen any real correlation in food dining experience and price

Luckily where I live there are a lot of cool places to try new restaurants across a wide spectrum.. so that keeps things interesting for us
Yeah totally. The food in all honesty is no better than most chain restaurants. I remember asking for a side of honey mustard to go on my salad and the waiter said "certainly sir, it's homemade in-house, I'll bring some right out." He brings it and I taste it and my first thought was, this tastes exactly like the honey mustard at O'Charley's and the same kind you can purchase in the grocery store.

150$ for a tiny steak and 10$ per side item...really!? It's a joke. Funny too, when we went there it was lunch time on a Sunday afternoon and we were the only ones there besides one other table. I don't expect them to last much longer, and they lost our business.

Place here called J. Alexanders that has food 10x better than Ruth's Chris for a fraction of the cost.

Back