Types of flying you want no part of

What won't you do? (or really don't like to)

• Fly single engine (recip), period

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Fly single engine at night

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Fly single engine IFR

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Fly IFR without certain equipment (AP, WX, backup power/vac, deice etc)

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Fly single pilot IFR

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Any "recreational" GA flying

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Fly recip powered airplanes

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fly single engine long (subjective) distances over water

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Fly in homebuilt aircraft (or homebuilts not built/owned by you)

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Other

Votes: 39 33.1%

• Total voters
I don't like flying in the air, but it's infinitely easier than flying in the ground.

Here around Juneau, I fly either over water or trees. If there is any safe emergency landing area, it will be the beach at low tide. Otherwise the mountain comes out of the water with no beach.

Yes, I think about the possibility when I am in the 207. In the Navajo, I fly out over the open water because there usually isn't any traffic there, just an occasional float plane or two, but they are usually around 1000 feet or so.

:p:p:p
I flew a lot of single engine early on, much of it over the mountains, some low level. Then I switched overnight to turbine twins and jets. I had a number of my co-workers tell me they would never fly over the mountains in a single. I got used to being required to be at a weight that the airplane would take off and meet all performance numbers on one engine. A number of years later I was offered a ride over the mountains in a single. I wondered if I would feel any differently about it having not done that in a long time. I didn't. It seemed as normal as it had in the past... even though his airplane didn't have quite the same climb rate as the one I had flown years ago.
:p:p:rolleyes:o_O

Other -

(Banner Towing), Here in the Tampa FL area you have to catch the banner in the air by making a "U" maneuver with a low horsepower airplane. So far two people have died in different airplanes here.

I'm not afraid of water or nighttime flying but I am afraid of an engine fire....that is scary stuff.

Other -

(Banner Towing), Here in the Tampa FL area you have to catch the banner in the air by making a "U" maneuver with a low horsepower airplane. So far two people have died in different airplanes here.

I'm not afraid of water or nighttime flying but I am afraid of an engine fire....that is scary stuff.

you catch the banner in mid air?:eek:

you catch the banner in mid air?:eek:

Sort of. They spread the banner out on the ground, snake out some of the rope for some initial slack. The loop at the end of the rope is suspended between two poles about 6' high and maybe 10-15' apart. The pilot ties the grappling hook to the tail and puts the hook in the cockpit through the window. After taking off, he throws the hook out the window and flies a low approach in an effort to catch the tow rope between the poles. Then it's full throttle, steep climb to trade airspeed for altitude. By the time the pilot pushes the nose over and goes to more or less level flight, all the slack in the rope should be taken up and the banner should start to fly. I've never towed banners, but I've helped with setup and retrieval a few times. Let me see if I can find a video.
Edit: Here ya go

Sort of. They spread the banner out on the ground, snake out some of the rope for some initial slack. The loop at the end of the rope is suspended between two poles about 6' high and maybe 10-15' apart. The pilot ties the grappling hook to the tail and puts the hook in the cockpit through the window. After taking off, he throws the hook out the window and flies a low approach in an effort to catch the tow rope between the poles. Then it's full throttle, steep climb to trade airspeed for altitude. By the time the pilot pushes the nose over and goes to more or less level flight, all the slack in the rope should be taken up and the banner should start to fly. I've never towed banners, but I've helped with setup and retrieval a few times. Let me see if I can find a video.

Holy smokes!!! That looks like a carrier landing go around.

I think everything on that list is either something I have done or something I'm planning to do at some point in the future.

IDK if this counts but I don't think I'd be ok with a powered parachute, hang glider, or jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft. I like having a solid floor under me, it's a psychological security blanket.

Thought that's how they all picked 'em up. Everyone I've seen has been done that way. I think. ;)

I always figured the rapid ascent was so that it did not get dragged along the ground, damaging it and hooking things?

This looks a lot more simple compared to how they do it in Saint Pete airport. The banner is on top of a building in the middle of 3 buildings and you have to dive down, catch the banner and pull up before you hit the building you are speeding towards for $15 an Hr.....No thanks!

Not sure why some would say "fly 121" ??
I understand why some may choose not to fly 121 ops, but the way I understood the question (much because of the choices) was due to safety concerns. Part 121 is the safest way to fly, but perhaps the OP wasn't referring to safety.

That looks fun!

Ok, seriously, I have no desire to do acrobatics in a plane. I spent the first half of my life racing cars. I have friends that still won't get in a car when I am driving. But airplanes are different for me. I like being smooth and steady.

Not saying I haven't done the basic acrobatics, just straight and level, stabilized approaches, and hearing, not feeling the wheels touch the ground while landing appeals to me.

Not sure why some would say "fly 121" ??
I understand why some may choose not to fly 121 ops, but the way I understood the question (much because of the choices) was due to safety concerns. Part 121 is the safest way to fly, but perhaps the OP wasn't referring to safety.

Wasn't referring to safety.

Was really looking forward to this but after 6+ Gs 7 times in a row I was glad to get out of the plane. Once was enough....IMG_3461.jpg IMG_3462.jpg

If you intend to be a professional (not necessarily airline) pilot you will do all of these things.

Bob Gardner

Three of the poll items I have heard from professional pilots - no recips, no single engine, and no recreational flying.

Yep, that's a standard banner pick up. How else would it be done?
Ok, seriously, I have no desire to do acrobatics in a plane. I spent the first half of my life racing cars. I have friends that still won't get in a car when I am driving. But airplanes are different for me. I like being smooth and steady.

Not saying I haven't done the basic acrobatics, just straight and level, stabilized approaches, and hearing, not feeling the wheels touch the ground while landing appeals to me.

I know how you feel.

I'll watch aerobatics all day long, I also love riding roller coasters, but flying an airplane I want to do it as best and smooth as I cAn.

I would do all of the things listed except fly IFR as I am not instrument rated. If I were rated then I would do it as well. There is probably little or nothing in the way of flying that I would not be willing to try at least once. Most types of flying I would like to do often enough to become proficient at if my checkbook would not give out first. However I would not fly 121 even though I would like to fly a jet or two just to do it. I have handled the controls on an L-1011 at altitude but have not taken off or landed any jets.

Not comfortable with single engine long distance over water.

Well yeah, seeing previews on TV were enough warning for me. Sound like I didn't miss out either.
Seeing the theater preview of Sully convinced me not to see it, but it seems to be getting good reviews from folks here. Still not convinced.

I saw "Flight" on HBO while sitting in a hotel room. Agree that it was pretty bad. My favorite Denzel movie is "Cry Freedom".

Other.....I gots no interest in being a bus driver....even if they do make +$300k. :ohsnap:

Flight is a great movie, but it's not about aviation. It's about addiction.

Those rotary wing things you stand on top of, and jet packs. For sure neither of those.

Back