Turn Your Trnasponders Off!

I don't fly with a transponder you need to put the ipad down and look out the porthole.
Forgot to mention, Cap'n Ron is absolutely correct. It is a VERY BAD idea to turn your transponders off. Those transponders are the only thing on your plane that TCAS systems can see. TCAS has alerted me to thousands of planes nearby and saved my (and the other guy too) bacon several times.

If you too fearful of the government to fly with the transponder on then please just stop flying. The transponder should be ON for you safety and others.

I broke 220 knots the other day and haven't been arrested yet nor have any fuel monkeys chased me down. I should consider myself lucky I guess.

I don't fly with a transponder you need to put the ipad down and look out the porthole.

Ya think TCAS is on an iPad? I do look out the window and TCAS helps a pilot know where to look.

CBP doesn't care about breaking 200 kts below a class B. It's not even close to being in their jurisdiction. Also, it's an indicated restriction not a ground speed (radar). They'd be investigating hundreds of cases around the country if that was the case. ATC isn't going to make an issue out of it either.

Whatever rule they think you broke it isn't a speed violation.

CBP doesn't care about breaking 200 kts below a class B. It's not even close to being in their jurisdiction. Also, it's an indicated restriction not a ground speed (radar). They'd be investigating hundreds of cases around the country if that was the case. ATC isn't going to make an issue out of it either.

Whatever rule they think you broke it isn't a speed violation.

It has nothing to do with him breaking a rule. If it had to do with him breaking a rule he would hear about it from the FAA. This is just the DHS doing their stupid profiling ****.

Only thing suspicious about his activity is such a high ground speed for an RV. Never would have been questioned if you were flying fast glass like a Lancair or Glasair. :)

It has nothing to do with him breaking a rule. If it had to do with him breaking a rule he would hear about it from the FAA. This is just the DHS doing their stupid profiling ****.
I agree that this seems to be the crux of it: they lie. It's like when they ask FBO to claim that there was a problem with pilot's credit card. Another thing is, they probably hate our guts, because we enjoy too little surveilance. The licence place recognition cameras these days supply them with a stream of movement for anyone, even without all the tracking of Bluetooth MAC and the like. But if I fly without opening an IFR plan, I can go anywhere I want. It's a nightmare of the government control freaks, no matter how delusional. So, when they have no good reason to harrass pilots, so they do it for trumped-up reasons.

Sounds like it's the same as when my Aztec got searched. Except they actually showed up as I was taxiing out and then the FBO did the "there's a problem with your credit card" thing.

I'd get all the info and report it to AOPA, EAA, and your Congressman.

Oh, and by the way, just turning your transponder off won't necessarily help. It will make you more suspicious, but you can still be picked up as a primary target.

So the other day I was transitioning a class B. ATC calls traffic, a DHS jet on my six and over taking. I suspect instantly that this is another attempt by DHS to illegally track my travels. So I cut the throttle on the RV-7, do a 4G pull up, and move in above the DHS aircraft. ATC asks, "I show you above him do you have him in sight?". I answer, "Yes, traffic insight... I'm inverted".

Next thing I hear is the DHS bird requesting vectors for home.

The rest of the flight was uneventful, except for my 200 knot overhead break into a 2000' strip.

DHS is really a menace in the air, I agree turn off the transponders!:wink2:

Re: Turn Your Transponders Off!

He said he was in G airspace, so those don't apply.

Not correct. They apply beneath Class B or within 30 miles of KDEN, both of which were the case during that flight. Centennial is Class D, too, not Class G.

How about you show us the phone number so we can figure out just who it was?

In any event, please, please, please don't turn off your transponders in flight. Too many collision avoidance systems and methods are negated when you do that, and we don't need to make collision avoidance any harder than it already is.

Here ya go!

951 656-0982. He calls himself "Wilson". :rolleyes:

Sounds like it's the same as when my Aztec got searched. Except they actually showed up as I was taxiing out and then the FBO did the "there's a problem with your credit card" thing.

I'd get all the info and report it to AOPA, EAA, and your Congressman.

All of the above, and I am going to request a FOIAR ( free of information act request.). All documents associated with this incident must be turned over to me.

Last edited:

Not correct. They apply beneath Class B or within 30 miles of KDEN, both of which were the case during that flight. Centennial is Class D, too, not Class G.

OK, so they didn't apply during the class G portion of the flight that was more than 30 miles from DEN.

The "complaint" was I was over 180 knots. No where (accordingto the local FSDO) is it illegal for me to have gone 180 knots. I called them and the Office Manager confirmed I did nothing wrong. This is the first time he has heard of this.

Speaking of the questionable searches that have been happening to people... I wonder what would happen if you did the following...

*pull out phone, dial local police*

"Hi, local police? I'm out at local airstrip and these guys who claim to be federal officers are forcing me to let them search my airplane. This is probably ligit and I'm probably just being paranoid but could you send someone out to make sure these guys are really law enforcement and not just some thugs? Like I said I'm probably being paranoid but something about this just doesn't seem right..."

Probably depends on who gets the call... but I'm curious what would happen. Certainly can't claim any wrongdoing on your part either way.

*edit
I should probably add I got this idea from a friend of mine who got an illegal search of his car stopped by calling a different law enforcement agency and complaining.

Last edited:
yup then call the local news with the same story.
Speaking of the questionable searches that have been happening to people... I wonder what would happen if you did the following...

*pull out phone, dial local police*

"Hi, local police? I'm out at local airstrip and these guys who claim to be federal officers are forcing me to let them search my airplane. This is probably ligit and I'm probably just being paranoid but could you send someone out to make sure these guys are really law enforcement and not just some thugs? Like I said I'm probably being paranoid but something about this just doesn't seem right..."

Probably depends on who gets the call... but I'm curious what would happen. Certainly can't claim any wrongdoing on your part either way.

*edit
I should probably add I got this idea from a friend of mine who got an illegal search of his car stopped by calling a different law enforcement agency and complaining.

The "complaint" was I was over 180 knots. No where (accordingto the local FSDO) is it illegal for me to have gone 180 knots. I called them and the Office Manager confirmed I did nothing wrong. This is the first time he has heard of this.

Please let AOPA know about this using this form. http://aopa.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0TypYcZhI6Jsa57

We are tracking all of these incidents and gathering data for upcoming presentations to Congress. Thanks.

California phone number, Google doesn't have any definite identification.

Here ya go!

The only direct name with a link to that number I find is a prior listed phone number for a building planning official at a co.clark.nv.us email address.

However, there are a number of DHS phone numbers that share the (951) 656 prefix.

Including, curiously enough, this one:

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...eventing-terrorism-and-enhancing-security.pdf
AIRBUST Program provides the general public and aviation community with a forum to share information on suspicious small aircraft.

An AIRBUST poster and pocket-sized laminated card display the phone number for reporting suspicious activity or low-flying aircraft, 1-866-AIRBUST (1-866-247-2878). This number rings directly to the CBP Air and Marine Operations Center (AMOC) operations floor. The two-sided laminated card displays drawings of single-and twin-engine aircraft often used to transport contraband and lists helpful information to include when calling.

The AIRBUST poster is an 8.5x11‖ poster with the 1-866-AIRBUST (1-866-247-2878) phone number. It also lists four general items of interest that can tip off a general aviation airport employee or law enforcement official that a particular aircraft or pilot may be involved in illicit activity.

For more information, call 951-656-8000.

this one:

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/intl/custom...thern-border-overflight-exemption-process.php

CBP Overflight Exemption Process

Under Title 19 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Section 122.23, certain General Aviation aircraft (generally private and unscheduled charter aircraft) arriving from some areas south of the United States are required to provide advance notices of arrival and land at certain designated airports for US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) processing unless exempted from this requirement through an Overflight Exemption provided for in § 122.25.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact us:

Dianna Sullivan
CBP Headquarters Program Manager,
General Aviation - Commercial Operators
dianna.sullivan@dhs.gov
951-656-0910

this one:
http://www.airspacecoordination.org/coord/rangemeetings/06westpac.pdf
DHS – UAV Operations – Mr. McNall (CBP - UAV Operations) began his briefing with the new post
Sept. 11, 2001 priority mission statement: “Preventing terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the
United States.” For the 2005 Fiscal Year, the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) made 1.15 million arrests,
seized 1.2 million pounds of marijuana and 12,000 pounds of cocaine. Nationally the CBP has 258 aircraft
and within Arizona the have flying operations from five locations employing fixed wing prop and jet aircraft,
helicopters, and now the Predator B UAV that was purchased in October 2005.

(attendee)
Mr. Thomas Griffin DSN:
CBP Air / AMOC
Comm: (951) 656-0977
Cell: ---
1355 Customs Way
MARB, CA 92518
E-mail: thomas.h.griffin@dhs.gov

and this one:

It could be possible to utilize high-efficiency, triple-junction PV along with specialized
application-specific batteries to power small distributed-sensor units used to detect low-flying
aircraft transporting drugs over the northern border. Staff members from NREL attended a
workshop in the summer of 2010 aimed at planning future response to this problem

July 22–23, 2010 (Bellingham, WA): Northwest Border Low-Flier Workshop
The purpose of this workshop was to bring together technologists with the major stakeholders within the Coast Guard who are responsible for apprehending low flying aircraft bringing
contraband into the US primarily over the Northwest border with Canada near Seattle and Spokane. The goal of the meeting was to decide the best use of funding for a short term
technology solution and brainstorm and write an RFP for a longer term solution which might be procured. NREL Attendees: Scott Huffman, and John Leahey

(attendee)

Mike Bumberger SBP/AMOC 951 656 0965 michael.bumberger@dhs.gov

Nice detective work EP!

But I flew to Denver and back and used ATC? I told them who I was, landed at a towered airport, and where I was headed when I left. What am I missing? :dunno:

Last edited:
Nice detective work EP!

But I flew to Denver and back and used ATC? What am I missing? :dunno:

Not sure, but if you find someone with an Airbust poster, you can check out the "four general items of interest that can tip off a general aviation airport employee or law enforcement official that a particular aircraft or pilot may be involved in illicit activity. " :goofy:

Nice detective work EP!

But I flew to Denver and back and used ATC? What am I missing? :dunno:
Maybe someone transposed your N-number or something. FWIW, 180+ knots in the vicinity of Centennial is not unusual.

A reverse lookup for the number 951-656-0982 shows the number belonging to an elderly female. The carrier is Verizon and it shows as a residential land line.

It's getting crazy out there. If it isn't the Feds, it's State and local. We all heard about the glider pilot that got arrested last year, but the current issue of Soaring magazine has another story. This guy was in his glider, being chased down by a Florida Highway Patrol 182 (unmarked) - complete with the FHP pilot pointing his gun out the window at him. The glider pilot, a former F-4 pilot, kept turning inside the 182 until he had a chance to fly into a cloud and get away. The story then goes into the runaround the glider pilot got from the FHP and the Governor's office about the incident.

Last edited:
Not sure, but if you find someone with an Airbust poster, you can check out the "four general items of interest that can tip off a general aviation airport employee or law enforcement official that a particular aircraft or pilot may be involved in illicit activity. " :goofy:

Not to mention the the two-sided laminated card with "drawings of single-and twin-engine aircraft often used to transport contraband..." :dunno:

Here ya go!

Thank you for that. I have a dedicated phone number I give to people I never care to hear from, such as grocery and department stores (for their stupid loyalty cards), online vendors, government agencies, my crazy ex, and basically anyone else I don't want to be bothered by. Now I know where I can forward it.

-Rich

I called Centennial Tower and talked to the controllers to see if they report suspicious activity. The controller said they do not monitor how long someone stays or keep track of their N number. They are way too busy for that. They do record radar feed in case of an incident, but rarely use it.

This begs the question, how did HS know I was even in the air? They must be monitoring theFAA's radar without the general knowledge of the FAA?

That is screwed up, but funny that a glider outran a flying cop in a 182:lol: Starting to look like there is official(but not admitted) harassment program for GA.
It's getting crazy out there. If it isn't the Feds, it's State and local. We all heard about the glider pilot that got arrested last year, but the current issue of Soaring magazine has another story. This guy was in his glider, being chased down by a Florida Highway Patrol 182 (unmarked) - complete with the FHP pilot pointing his gun out the window at him. The glider pilot, a former F-4 pilot, kept turning inside the 182 until he had a chance to fly into a cloud and get away. The story then goes into the runaround the glider pilot got from the FHP and the Governor's office about the incident.

This begs the question, how did HS know I was even in the air? They must be monitoring theFAA's radar without the general knowledge of the FAA?

DHS gets border feeds from Canada, and share ours with them. No surprises that they would be scanning internal feeds as well.

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/us-receive-canadian-radar-feeds-combat-drug-smugglers

The Canadian government will soon start supplying DHS with data from its radar feeds to help border officials prevent low-flying airplanes from entering U.S. airspace to smuggle drugs along the northern border; in November the Canadian government will begin sending surveillance information collected from its twenty-two radar feeds to the U.S. Air and Marine Operations Center in Riverside, California; the data will be used to detect “unlawful entry into the United States”

The Canadian government will soon start supplying DHS with data from its radar feeds to help border officials prevent low-flying airplanes from entering U.S. airspace to smuggle drugs along the northern border.

Canada’s radar feeds will help fill existing gaps in U.S. surveillance along the northern border.

The United States and Canada have long shared radar surveillance data, but Bersin said the additional radar data will provide the U.S. with “more feeds than currently exist.”

So the other day I was transitioning a class B. ATC calls traffic, a DHS jet on my six and over taking. I suspect instantly that this is another attempt by DHS to illegally track my travels. So I cut the throttle on the RV-7, do a 4G pull up, and move in above the DHS aircraft. ATC asks, "I show you above him do you have him in sight?". I answer, "Yes, traffic insight... I'm inverted".

Next thing I hear is the DHS bird requesting vectors for home.

The rest of the flight was uneventful, except for my 200 knot overhead break into a 2000' strip.

DHS is really a menace in the air, I agree turn off the transponders!:wink2:

Maybe we should be doing "Crazy Ivan's" every so often.

He said he was in G airspace, so those don't apply.
Yes, those two items of 91.215 (b2 and c) do apply, even in G-airspace. One example is when under the floor of B-space, even if you're down in the G-space below the E below the B.

See and avoid.
We have all too much evidence that see-and-avoid alone isn't enough for real safety, especially with big planes moving fast.

Though I believe if you have an operable transponder, regulations dictate that you turn it on.
Pretty much so unless you're in G-space a long way from anywhere. See 91.215(c).
(c) Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with Sec. 91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC.

The multi-agency data sharing Bravo Sierra in New Mexico, mainly designed to create make work jobs. Same people who tipped off a Sheriff to do a full assault style takedown of John and Martha King.

Back