Turbulence Technique advice...help?

... it's the speed at the upper left corner of the Vn diagram for your current weight and configuration.

Which nobody has, except maybe you when you were working in flight test, on airplanes that weren't Part 23. LOL. :)

The glider folks sometimes have nice polars to reference, though. :)

Methinks my 1975 POH is a little light on Vn diagrams. Haha.

Which nobody has, except maybe you when you were working in flight test, on airplanes that weren't Part 23. LOL. :)
It's also easy to calculate from published speeds and load factor limits.

Nauga,
who says, "'were' = 'are'"

I'd say I'd like to see that math, but I'll probably regret it. :)
Jus' send us a spreadsheet with circles n arrows n stuff. Maybe even a paragraph on the back...

I'd say I'd like to see that math, but I'll probably regret it. :)
Vcx = Vsref*sqrt(nl*Wx/Wref),
Vcx = corner speed at weight x,
Vsref = reference 1g stall speed in the configuration in question (Vs, Vs1, Vs0...),
nl = limit load factor (typ. 3.8g),
Wx = the weight for which you want the corner speed,
Wref = the weight corresponding to the reference stall speed (typ. gross weight).

Note: This relationship is correct for calibrated airspeed, but using indicated will get you in the ballpark. Part 23 Source error corrections (indicated->calibrated airspeed) are not necessarily valid at higher load factors. YMMV.

Nauga,
on the peak of the doghouse

Last edited:
I Still struggle with corner speed. I have had multiple military pilots try and explain the math behind it, and I never understand it. At this point, I just accept it, even if it does not make sense. :D

Tim

I Still struggle with corner speed. I have had multiple military pilots try and explain the math behind it, and I never understand it. At this point, I just accept it, even if it does not make sense. :D
Vo, but for real-world conditions. ;)

Nauga,
riding the limiter

Tim

IMG_0628.GIF

I've never considered it a difficult concept but I confess I'm often not smart enough to know what I don't know. Sometimes that's an advantage as a pilot.;) In a dogfight, it gives you the maximum available lift available for turning without having to KIO for an over-G. (You still have to factor in load onset rate)
If the goal is either to convert energy or to move your nose around in azimuth, this is a handy number to know. A few minutes of maneuvering against another aircraft would make it clear to you as a concept, I'm not sure about the math.

Yeah, as a civilian pilot I've never heard the term before and I've been around a long time. So, I looked it up and the definition starts out, "The lowest speed a fighter can pull..." so no wonder you can't understand it. It's a "fighter". They aren't interested in going slow, they want to go fast. So it's the FASTEST speed for something or another and I'm betting on "turning the plane (EDIT: quickly) without damaging it" is the answer.

dtuuri

Last edited:
The rudder is for one thing, and one thing only... to counteract yaw... it is ineffective and messy piloting to try to level the wings without use of both ailerons and rudder... Ailerons to level the wings and rudder to counter the yaw caused by that aileron use...

This is a good general rule, but there are exceptions and it depends on the airframe. In gliders for example, the long high-aspect-ratio wings are often ineffective in roll at low speeds (on tow for example). In those cases it is very appropriate to use more than normal rudder inputs to level the wings. My Glider CFI called the rudder an "aileron accelerator" in these cases, and I thought it was a good and memorable reference.

Yeah, as a civilian pilot I've never heard the term before and I've been around a long time. So, I looked it up and the definition starts out, "The lowest speed a fighter can pull..." so no wonder you can't understand it. It's a "fighter". They aren't interested in going slow, they want to go fast. So it's the FASTEST speed for something or another and I'm betting on "turning the plane (EDIT: quickly) without damaging it" is the answer.

dtuuri

Actually, from a fighter perspective, it is the speed of the tightest turn possible. The max lift possible compared to air speed before structural failure or you reduce control pressure.
But yeah, I tried to follow the math and get lost. Come he** or high water, one day I will get it.

Tim

Actually, from a fighter perspective, it is the speed of the tightest turn possible.
That's not accurate, a tighter turn is possible at airspeeds below corner speed. It is the speed that gives the maximum instantaneous turn rate.

In sailing you were always taught not to fight the boat.. I try to apply a similar rule in flying. Keep it trimmed and don't fight or force it.. I've only really been in worrisome turbulence once in my life and the technique seemed to work there.. cruising 8,000 feet up and 90 KIAS in a trimmed Skyhawk I like to think is a pretty safe place to be

Interesting read. I have an instructor that is all about rudder use - forcefully! It's to the point that I'm thinking about not touching the yoke when out training. (This is in early Bonanzas - pretty hard to use aileron or rudder alone w/o forcing the issue. Maybe he is trying to counter some bonanza pilots I know that put their feet on the floor after takeoff - got me.)

I'm guessing it is a style of training as all the other instructors I've trained focused on coordinated turns. Not sure what to make of it - but is interesting to read others have seen this being taught.

I have an instructor that is all about rudder use - forcefully! It's to the point that I'm thinking about not touching the yoke when out training.
What's his (or her) reasoning for that? The rudder is there to remain coordinated and help with yaw. Why would someone use it as the primary roll function? Seems like that could make someone get in the habit of inadvertently skidding or slipping, which can be dangerous (if not deadly) in the pattern, especially in the base to final turn

That's not accurate, a tighter turn is possible at airspeeds below corner speed. It is the speed that gives the maximum instantaneous turn rate.

See what I mean I still do not have it... :)

Tim

What's his (or her) reasoning for that? The rudder is there to remain coordinated and help with yaw. Why would someone use it as the primary roll function? Seems like that could make someone get in the habit of inadvertently skidding or slipping, which can be dangerous (if not deadly) in the pattern, especially in the base to final turn

Could be he is seeing I'm slower on the pedals than he would like. But he is a bit "direct" about correcting the rudder pedal use - to a fault. Hoping to figure it out - as I learn a lot from him. But this one is a bit hard to get a handle on.

I'm hoping to get another instructor (also a DPE) to look at my rudder skills. (He wants the dual yoke installed first - and that requires a log book entry from a mechanic.) I know the second instructor is very good and maybe can shed some light on what I'm seeing. I can't rule out this could be "me" and not getting on the rudder enough. (Although "the ball" is one instrument I scan a lot.)

Like I said - interesting thread and hoping to gain a little insight from others.

interesting thread and hoping to gain a little insight from others
One of the things I love about PoA the most

Thanks for the write up. Curious to see what the other pilot will think. I find I tend to be lighter on the controls than most pilots I fly with. Never had an issue with keeping altitude or heading or keeping the ball centered and turns at standard rate, but most pilots I find tend to be more aggressive on the controls.. so both of our perceptions may be skewed slightly

Took over a student who had three other instructors before me. I have been flying for 10 years, training for 4, and this student started using a technique in turbulence I have never heard of nor been taught to us.

He began to use rudder, and only rudder, to keep wings level. My initial instinct was to tell him not to do that, but after asking him where he heard about this technique from, he said from two of his previous instructors. He was told the reason for it is because it's easier on passengers. .

I can tell you that the technique is popularly taught in the south. I'd never heard of it before moving to Alabama, but every CFI I've flown with down here does it and teaches it. Not dancing necessarily, but measured inputs held in until the plane has recovered. North Alabama is blessed with eye popping thermals and mountain wave simultaneously which, especially in Pipers, produces a distinct yawing motion. They treat it as a manual yaw damper. I don't like it and I don't do it, but it is popular here.

Come to the desert right now (June-August) and fly mid day (100+ degrees). Most planes without yaw dampeners (including my Tiger) the tail gets to "wagging" in thermal activity ... this is cross country flying folks - 130 knots and somewhere to go in and out of up/down drafts with minor mountain mechanical. If you apply LIGHT right rudder pressure in turbulence, the rear end won't kick out as much (manual yaw dampener as stated above). Sit there and letting it start progressively oscillating larger and larger, is not fun even for front seat passengers. If you're putzing around at 85-90 knots in a Cessna, you probably won't notice this effect much.

Edit: I skipped all the off-topic VA discussion, so if you had similar in there ... sorry.

Come to the desert right now (June-August) and fly mid day (100+ degrees). Most planes without yaw dampeners (including my Tiger) the tail gets to "wagging" in thermal activity ... this is cross country flying folks - 130 knots and somewhere to go in and out of up/down drafts with minor mountain mechanical. If you apply LIGHT right rudder pressure in turbulence, the rear end won't kick out as much (manual yaw dampener as stated above). Sit there and letting it start progressively oscillating larger and larger, is not fun even for front seat passengers. If you're putzing around at 85-90 knots in a Cessna, you probably won't notice this effect much.

Edit: I skipped all the off-topic VA discussion, so if you had similar in there ... sorry.
You had to remind me dint ya? I flew from Denver down towards Brownsville in May once to check out a piece of equipment we were interested in buying. The dust devils were topping out over 10K. I had to go to 13,500 to avoid most of the bumps. On the flight back I found a snowstorm in the panhandle. Had to get an IFR clearance because visibility dropped so low in the snow. Weird weather for that trip.

Using the rudder as a "manual yaw damper" to help the plane through the bumps sounds reasonable, but that to me falls under keeping "coordinated" flight and not just parking your feet on the floor. I may have misunderstood it, but to me it sounded like the OP was being taught to do more than that

P.S. - the Pipers get into that yaw motion pretty easily I find. It's odd, because they seem a lot more solid than Skyhawks, but in rough air they definitely tend to start wagging around more. I find the yawing is more disconcerting to PAX than just usual bumps because it feels more unnatural

For "bonanza boogie"- just keep your feet on the rudder pedals- don't try to keep up, just hold them steady.

Doesn't seem to matter if you have two or three feathers in the back. Not sure about other males/models.

Using the rudder as a "manual yaw damper" to help the plane through the bumps sounds reasonable, but that to me falls under keeping "coordinated" flight and not just parking your feet on the floor. I may have misunderstood it, but to me it sounded like the OP was being taught to do more than that
Maybe it got confused way back when somebody taught (correctly) that the turn needle on a T&B is a yaw instrument, so use rudder to center the needle instead of the ball, and that got twisted over a couple of generations into what the OP described.

Maybe it got confused way back when somebody taught (correctly) that the turn needle on a T&B is a yaw instrument, so use rudder to center the needle instead of the ball, and that got twisted over a couple of generations into what the OP described.

Interesting theory. How many haven't ever seen or flown with a T&B these days?

Interesting theory. How many haven't ever seen or flown with a T&B these days?
Never flown with. I have a grand total of 20 hours steam gauges, everything else is glass PFD.

Tim

Interesting read. I have an instructor that is all about rudder use - forcefully! It's to the point that I'm thinking about not touching the yoke when out training. (This is in early Bonanzas - pretty hard to use aileron or rudder alone w/o forcing the issue. Maybe he is trying to counter some bonanza pilots I know that put their feet on the floor after takeoff - got me.)

I'm guessing it is a style of training as all the other instructors I've trained focused on coordinated turns. Not sure what to make of it - but is interesting to read others have seen this being taught.
We all pick up stuff that's weird to others but makes sense to us. You never know what someone is thinking unless you ask. And even then.... ;)
I know some CFIs can get crazy over rudder use and carry things to an extreme. Maybe, as others suggest, he's just overemphasizing something pilots are traditionally bad at.

Since it's in a Bonanza, this one comes to mind: Maybe it's because of a combination of (a) Bo's coordinated rudder and aileron, (b) tendency toward lateral instability, and (c) the tendency many pilots have to put pressure on the yoke when doing things like tuning radios. Maybe he feels steering with your feet is not a problem because of (a), maintains positive control to avoid (b), but without introducing the (c) factor?

Not sure. Had someone suggest taking another pilot up to watch for traffic while I keep an eye on the ball during turns. Regardless, it is something to better understand.

Um no it is not. Maneuvering speed is the max speed for which a you can do full deflection of the controls in a single direction and NOT break the airplane. That is all it is.

And which flight control do you think is the limiting factor regarding Va? Hint, it's not the ailerons, and it's not the rudder. It really is about the speed at which the airplane stalls before operating G-load limit is exceeded.

And which flight control do you think is the limiting factor regarding Va? Hint, it's not the ailerons, and it's not the rudder. It really is about the speed at which the airplane stalls before operating G-load limit is exceeded.
Roscoe,

Read the thread and you will have the answer. Va is precisely what I stated. It is often taught in correctly.

Tim

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

The only time I was taught to use the rudders "only", was during brief moments to keep the wings level (after getting properly trimmed), while I was struggling to unfold/refold my sectional chart and my instructor saw that I was afraid to take my left hand off the yoke:D.

Worked like a charm.

I think some of us, me included, owe tspear a 'thank you' for rattling our outdated understanding of Va. The new (if I can call a 24 year old change 'new') 'Vo' is what we old-timers have learned as 'Va'. In our time there was no distinction made for the true meaning of 'design' speeds vs. 'operating' speeds. Here's the Preamble note on the establishment of Vo:

Proposal 67
The FAA proposed a change to Section 23.1507 to establish an operating maneuvering speed (VO) different from the design maneuvering speed (VA) established by Section 23.335(c). VO is the maximum speed where, at any given weight, the pilot may apply full control excursion without exceeding the design limit load factor.
The one commenter, the JAA, believes that this new concept of VO needs further discussion. The JAA also notes that, while proposed Section 23.1507(a), establishing an operating limitation, is correctly located, Section 23.1507(b), which defines VO, should be moved to become Section 23.335(d) while retaining the existing definition of VA, design maneuvering speed, at Section 23.335(c).
The FAA disagrees with moving the VO definition to Section 23.335, since it would put an operational definition in the design section of part 23. The VO definition in Section 23.1507 is consistent with the requirements of Sections 23.1505 and 23.1511, namely, that the relationships between "operating" speeds and "design" speeds are established. The comment has caused the FAA to re-examine and reword proposed Section 23.1507. The revised wording deletes the definitions of computed stall speed (VS) and the limit maneuvering load factor (n) and utilizes those already contained in Section 23.335. The final rule section heading includes the word "operating" to maintain a distinction from the design maneuvering speed of Section 23.335. The FAA adopts Section 23.1507 with the change discussed above.​

And here is the change to Part 23.1507:

Sec. 23.1507

[Operating] maneuvering speed.

[The maximum operating maneuvering speed, VO, must be established as an operating limitation. VO is a selected speed that is not greater than
0.390%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif
established in Sec. 23.335(c).]

Amdt. 23-45, Eff. 09/07/93
Thanks, tspear. :)

I would guess that previous type certifications do not have published Vo speeds.

dtuuri

Roscoe,

Read the thread and you will have the answer. Va is precisely what I stated. It is often taught in correctly.

Rote learning vs. understanding.

I think some of us, me included, owe tspear a 'thank you' for rattling our outdated understanding of Va. The new (if I can call a 24 year old change 'new') 'Vo' is what we old-timers have learned as 'Va'. In our time there was no distinction made for the true meaning of 'design' speeds vs. 'operating' speeds. Here's the Preamble note on the establishment of Vo:

Proposal 67
The FAA proposed a change to Section 23.1507 to establish an operating maneuvering speed (VO) different from the design maneuvering speed (VA) established by Section 23.335(c). VO is the maximum speed where, at any given weight, the pilot may apply full control excursion without exceeding the design limit load factor.
The one commenter, the JAA, believes that this new concept of VO needs further discussion. The JAA also notes that, while proposed Section 23.1507(a), establishing an operating limitation, is correctly located, Section 23.1507(b), which defines VO, should be moved to become Section 23.335(d) while retaining the existing definition of VA, design maneuvering speed, at Section 23.335(c).
The FAA disagrees with moving the VO definition to Section 23.335, since it would put an operational definition in the design section of part 23. The VO definition in Section 23.1507 is consistent with the requirements of Sections 23.1505 and 23.1511, namely, that the relationships between "operating" speeds and "design" speeds are established. The comment has caused the FAA to re-examine and reword proposed Section 23.1507. The revised wording deletes the definitions of computed stall speed (VS) and the limit maneuvering load factor (n) and utilizes those already contained in Section 23.335. The final rule section heading includes the word "operating" to maintain a distinction from the design maneuvering speed of Section 23.335. The FAA adopts Section 23.1507 with the change discussed above.​

And here is the change to Part 23.1507:

Sec. 23.1507

[Operating] maneuvering speed.

[The maximum operating maneuvering speed, VO, must be established as an operating limitation. VO is a selected speed that is not greater than
0.390%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif
established in Sec. 23.335(c).]

Amdt. 23-45, Eff. 09/07/93
Thanks, tspear. :)

I would guess that previous type certifications do not have published Vo speeds.

dtuuri
Welcome
Now can anyone explain the physics? :)

Tim

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back