Trouble with question on my test material

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Kodiak, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Quest
    During operations outside controlled airspace at altitudes of more than 1,200 feet AGL, but less than 10,000 feet MSL, the minimum flight visibility for day VFR flight is

1 mile.

Their material shows the answer as 1 mile, but shouldn't this be 3 miles? Outside controlled airspace is Class E and that is supposed to be 3 miles.

Thanks

2. Kodiak

Display Name:

Display name:
    Quest
    I think I just found the answer. I didn't know that Class G was called uncontrolled airspace, so that would just be 1 mile visibility.

bflynn and timwinters like this.
  3. Croomrider

Croomrider Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike
    Tricky question, I can see why you would have trouble with that. My question is how much "G" airspace lies within that definition?

4. WDD

WDD Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    WDD
    We have A, B, C, D, E, and G airspace. What happened to "F"?

5. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    Its in the same safe as preparations A-G.

6. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Some other countries have it. In Canada, for example, it's basically like our special use airspace.

7. cowman

cowman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    Seems like you got your answer, class G is uncontrolled airspace. I'll throw in more information just in case you didn't know. In most areas class G is surface to 1200' AGL but if you look at a sectional you may have noticed those shaded magenta rings around uncontrolled airports- they're indicating that inside the magenta class G airspace only goes up to 700' AGL. The dashed magenta circles mean class E airspace goes down to the surface.

You'll probably get asked about things like this on your checkride and written so it's important to know these details. Practically speaking, for a VFR pilot if you can't fly under the standard class E minimums of 3sm 500 below/1000 above then it's time to land. IMHO the distinction between class G and E rules isn't important for real world flying.

The actual reason these airspace rules are the way they are is for IFR. In cliff's notes terms, under IFR we're flying through class E under ATC clearance but in class G not so much... just in case you wondered.

8. Kodiak

Display Name:

Display name:
    Quest
    Yes, tricky, but not like a few other FAA created trick questions. The problem with some of the questions, although only 2 or 3, is that the questions leave out a word(s) that would clear up one's mind as to what they are actually asking. To know the rules and regulations is what is necessary, not trying to trick or deceive someone into answering the question incorrectly. A good example of this is this question:

The visibility and cloud clearance requirements to operate over Sandpoint Airport at less than 700 Feet AGL are
    3 miles and 1,000 Feet above, 500 Feet below, and 2,000 Feet horizontally From each cloud.

The other two answers would absolutely be incorrect. This question is a trick question and confusing. A new pilot would think '1 mile, clear of clouds', which is not one of the answers. What they deliberately left out was the explanation 'at night'. From what I have heard, this omission usually confuses most.

Thanks for all the answers. I used to ask on reddit, but they would reject some of my legitimate questions from time to time.

9. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    There are two sides to that coin. The answer is not incorrect, it is one of two correct possibilities if the time of day is not known. It is the most conservative of the two possibilities to go by, so you wouldn't want somebody to get credit for thinking, '1 mile, clear of clouds' is the standard for night time operations if the only answer they are familiar with is those daytime minimums.

10. bflynn

bflynn Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    Not tricky at all. Class G is uncontrolled airspace, A-E are controlled. As soon as the question says "outside controlled airspace", it means G. The rest of the question for me is just a validation that yes, class G airspace exists at those altitudes.

11. unsafervguy

unsafervguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    bob
    i want to know what happened to the people that tested preparations A-G......

12. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    This is a question that should probably be removed from the test. The FAA has pretty much removed all of the Class G airspace over the continental US that is below 10,000 MSL but above 1,200 AGL, so this particular bit of knowledge is pretty useless.

13. smv

smv Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    I bet a lot of Alaskan residents would be surprised to hear that.

14. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    The confusion come from the term "controlled airspace"...many equate that to B, C or D where you need to be in and maintain communications with ATC before entering. E is also "controlled" but only in so far as they control IFR flights, not VFR where there is no requirement to communicate.

So to a VFR pilot, the term "controlled" is kinda meaningless for E and often causes confusion...like this test question.

15. crash7

crash7 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Crash7

I teach my primary VFR students that E airspace is “controllable”. If you want to play the game (flight following/radar svc), you can be controlled. Don’t wanna he controlled there? Don’t play the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn likes this.
  16. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Oh, but there isn't supposed to BE any more confusion since brilliant minds solved the problem by changing from descriptive names like "airport traffic area" and "control zones" to non-confusing "classes" of airspace designated with letters.:rolleyes:

17. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    What happened to TV Channel 1?

(actually, I know the answer. But it's a fun question)

18. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Sorry, I used the wrong expansion of CONUS. *Contiguous* United States.