Touch and Go Safety

"Cessna 2AK is clear the active"

"Cessna 2AK, this is Piper 1AC, what runway are you guys using down there"

Done

Or listen for a second BEFORE you talk and you'll figure out what runways in use, never heard anyone say "downwind the active" it's always "downwind 14" or whatever.

If you're just flying in without monitoring as you approach, or if you're on the ground and can't use those eyeballs to figure out what runway the other planes in the pattern are landing on...
Or Cessna 2AK can just say clear of runway XX and not waste another transmission.

Or Cessna 2AK can just say clear of runway XX and not waste another transmission.

Or the other guy could be more observant and listen and look.

Personally, if there are any planes in the pattern I still ask, doesn't cost me but a second.

Or the other guy could be more observant and listen and look.

Personally, if there are any planes in the pattern I still ask, doesn't cost me but a second.
I agree that the other pilots can be more observant but if you are purposely being ambiguous to make a point that's not cool.

If there's only a single runway I say 'clear of active'... it's there's more than one runway I say nothing... that way there's no confusion and I can pretend I'm a ninja.

The only reason "clear of the active" is not a good thing to say is that it is ambiguous. Other pilots may not know what runway you are talking about. Obviously whatever runway(s) people are using are "active".

It's not that confusing if there is only one runway, like at my home drone. But I always state the runway number when announcing cleared.

Wow! I've heard a lot of discussion about why touch n goes are dangerous, but this is the first time I've ever heard it's pilots at uncontrolled fields calling "clear of the active" as they roll past the Hold Short line . . . because there is no "active" runway at an uncontrolled field,there is only the runway that each pilot chooses to use (which may not all be the same).

What a passionate lot to continue this debate for so long!! :stirpot:

Why is it important to label any particular runway as active?

I was at Watsonville a few days ago. There was one other aircraft, landing 27. I landed 20, since I don't think freaking out soccer moms at the shopping center is very nice (it's VERY close to the 27 threshold). Which was "active" and why does it matter?

Announce a runway number, and people don't have to guess what you mean.

I've spent a lot of time in Watsonville, not just at the airport but out in the community. Planes landing on 27 don't get a second look from anywhere underneath final.

Wow! I've heard a lot of discussion about why touch n goes are dangerous, but this is the first time I've ever heard it's pilots at uncontrolled fields calling "clear of the active" as they roll past the Hold Short line . . . because there is no "active" runway at an uncontrolled field,there is only the runway that each pilot chooses to use (which may not all be the same).

What a passionate lot to continue this debate for so long!! :stirpot:

Is passionate the same as anal?

This thread is still going? Nice job, guys!

BTW, after we asked for and were cleared for the other runway, a meek voice came over the radio. "Can we have that runway too?"

That could have been me, except my home airport only has 2 runways. After being directed to enter right downwind for the longer runway with a crosswind, and hearing someone request the shorter and less cross-windy airport; I chimed in, May I use runway 28 too?

Same airport: Recently, I was landing on a runway with a 12G17 crosswind. As I came into flare, admittedly too high, I keyed the mike and announced a go-around. As I was accelerating, the tower offered the other runway with only a 30 degree crosswind, not the 90 degree one I was fighting.

The 2 runway thing made me *snort*

I was flying with a good friend I got the return leg. I wasn't familiar with the airport and as I'm taxiing I say "Where is RW24"
He says, "On the other end of RW06" <-funny
I say, "Ok, where is RW06?" and he says on the other...

I pull off to a wide spot on the pad and say "Look! I'm serious, which way should I be taxiing"
He says "Sorry, thought you were just ****ing around as usual"

Reminds me, I need to call him and catch up.

Back