Total hip replacement

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Those PoAers that also know me on FB are aware that this Monday morning I had a total hip replacement of my right hip. I’ll start a thread here to catch the aviation side of this procedure.

I scheduled this for Monday so that I could attend a couple of days of Sun and Fun, which has become an annual event for me. I especially wanted to fly in this year just for the experience of doing this in the 414. Had a good time.

This procedure was indicated by arthritis in the joint and bone spurs that prevented motion in the designed axes. This forced the muscles making hip movements to go in directions they weren’t designed for. The muscle soreness was what drove me to do this, not pain in the joint itself.

I had an anterior procedure where the surgeon goes in from the front of the hip, rather than the more common (85%) posterior method. This avoids cutting through various muscles and should make for a quicker recovery. Tougher for the surgeon though. Mine does about 300 of this type a year. That’s what you want. The incision is about 4 ½” long. The new joint has both a ball and socket of oxidized zirconium.

Surgery itself took about 1:40. After about another hour I was out of post-op and recovery and in a regular hospital room. I got to eat some liquids and then shortly after a normal lunch. I didn’t have much pain at this point. After awhile a physical therapist came by and had me out of bed, walking and going up/down some steps. This is kind of a test. If you can do these things, they’ll release you if you want. I wanted home and left the hospital about 10 hours after the surgery started. Sue is taking good care of me.

Obviously I am self grounding myself from flying for now. They gave me a 5mg Oxycodone prescription for pain. Being concerned about the return to flying I was a little too adverse to taking these. In the end I took about 7 over the course of 3 nights. I’ve been off them a couple of days now and expect to just be using ibuprofen.

I used a walker for the first few days and today am using a cane. The one thing I do not want to do is fall. Dislocating this new joint would be a very bad thing. My thigh muscles on the affected leg are very weak. I can’t lift the leg at all...not an inch. I don’t know how much of this is surgery recovery and how much is weakness from the years of misuse of these muscles. I have an appointment for PT on Moday and will start to work this out.

To fly safely, especially with primary students and in light twins, I need to be fully confident in my ability to use the rudder pedals instantly. To me this will determine when I think I’ll be safe to fly again. I hope the recovery continues to go as well as it has so far.

Last edited:
Wow! Hope u have a speedy recovery. I was surprised to hear you were walking up steps the same day as the surgery so that sounds promising.

Those PoAers that also know me on FB are aware that this Monday morning I had a total hip replacement of my right hip. I’ll start a thread here to catch the aviation side of this procedure.

I scheduled this for Monday so that I could attend a couple of days of Sun and Fun, which has become an annual event for me. I especially wanted to fly in this year just for the experience of doing this in the 414. Had a good time.

This procedure was indicated by arthritis in the joint and bone spurs that prevented motion in the designed axes. This forced the muscles making hip movements to go in directions they weren’t designed for. The muscle soreness was what drove me to do this, not pain in the joint itself.

I had an anterior procedure where the surgeon goes in from the front of the hip, rather than the more common (85%) posterior method. This avoids cutting through various muscles and should make for a quicker recovery. Tougher for the surgeon though. Mine does about 300 of this type a year. That’s what you want. The incision is about 4 ½” long. The new joint has both a ball and socket of oxidized zirconium.

Surgery itself took about 1:40. After about another hour I was out of post-op and recovery and in a regular hospital room. I got to eat some liquids and then shortly after a normal lunch. I didn’t have much pain at this point. After awhile a physical therapist came by and had me out of bed, walking and going up/down some steps. This is kind of a test. If you can do these things, they’ll release you if you want. I wanted home and left the hospital about 10 hours after the surgery started. Sue is taking good care of me.

Obviously I am self grounding myself from flying for now. They gave me a 5mg Oxycodone prescription for pain. Being concerned about the return to flying I was a little too adverse to taking these. In the end I took about 7 over the course of 3 nights. I’ve been off them a couple of days now and expect to just be using ibuprofen.

I used a walker for the first few days and today am using a cane. The one thing I do not want to do is fall. Dislocating this new joint would be a very bad thing. My thigh muscles on the affected leg are very weak. I can’t lift the leg at all...not an inch. I don’t know how much of this is surgery recovery and how much is weakness from the years of misuse of these muscles. I have an appointment for PT on Moday and will start to work this out.

To fly safely, especially with primary students and in light twins, I need to be fully confident in my ability to use the rudder pedals instantly. To me this will decide when I think I’ll be safe to fly again. I hope the recovery continues to go as well as it has so far.

I am on week five post op THR so this post caught my eye.
I had traditional posterior surgery.
First couple weeks were tough but the last two have been great! Lots of PT and only a slight limp.
Rode my motorcycle and flew my plane for the first time post op last week and both went well but I’m not ready to sit on/in either for more than an hour or so just yet.
Stick w the PT and work out HARD and you’ll be back to normal in no time.
BTW I’m 52

I am on week five post op THR so this post caught my eye.
Always good to know one is not alone. Glad to hear of your progress. I’m 69 in otherwise pretty decent shape. I know that PT is going to hurt at least for awhile, but gotta do it. If I’m flying again 5 weeks after surgery, I won’t complain. Did you get something from your surgeon saying he approved you for that?

Always good to know one is not alone. Glad to hear of your progress. I’m 69 in otherwise pretty decent shape. I know that PT is going to hurt at least for awhile, but gotta do it. If I’m flying again 5 weeks after surgery, I won’t complain. Did you get something from your surgeon saying he approved you for that?

PT doesn’t really hurt nor should it. As u know with my type of procedure I had a lot of muscle damage, so to speak, and that has really been the only soreness. U should do great! You’ll be amazed how quickly u progress.
No note from doc needed.

PT doesn’t really hurt nor should it. As u know with my type of procedure I had a lot of muscle damage, so to speak, and that has really been the only soreness. U should do great! You’ll be amazed how quickly u progress.
No note from doc needed.

From AOPA-
“There is no specific amount of time the FAA requires an airman to self-ground (see FAR 61.53), following joint replacement surgery. You may resume flying when your treating physician releases you for unrestricted normal activities and when you feel well enough to fly.”

From AOPA-
“There is no specific amount of time the FAA requires an airman to self-ground (see FAR 61.53), following joint replacement surgery. You may resume flying when your treating physician releases you for unrestricted normal activities and when you feel well enough to fly.”
I remember when the surgeon said I could drive when I felt like it. "And you're not gonna feel like it for weeks!"

Got a full replacement of my right hip when I was 40. Posterior method. I felt good enough to fly after about a month, but I couldn't sit in one place comfortably for more than 30 or 40 minutes. I ended up waiting about 3 months before I flew again.

Lance; my wife had both done - one the old way (lateral anterior), one the 'new' anterior supine (somewhat better) a few years back and both are working great. Going for a walk in the park here shortly. She is very active.
She lost a lot of blood into the tissues both times, sounds like you didn't have that at all -cool. Made her crazy weak right after; almost transfused.
Another note: now that her hip pain is gone she is suddenly aware of all the other pains in the legs! Good luck, friend.

PS I learned from the first surgeon that joking about a bad outcome, right after the procedure is not a great idea.

Interesting. One of the things the surgeon told my wife on the phone right after the procedure was that I hadn’t lost much blood. Obviously a good thing I hadn’t really thought about unti now. Glad it worked out so well in the end for your wife.

No jokes from me about this. Except one small one. My surgery was 7:15am Monday morning. (They used to say never buy a car assembled on a Monday. ) I did ask my surgeon if he’d gotten some sleep.

My wife had her right hip replaced on March 6th, also Anterior method. She had the left one done several years ago and it was great. Unfortunately with this one she's had complications with the incision healing. She got fluid build up under the skin layer that would suddenly appear. She was opened back up on March 20th and flushed out and sutured back. The incision continued to drain and she was opened up again on March 31st and had a wound vac installed. We now go seven days a week so she can get antibiotics (two different kinds) and we go to the wound care clinic twice a week to have her wound vac dressing changed. Then antibiotic infusions will continue until May 14th. The wound vac will be in until it heals. Ina week or so she will get an infusion of a third antibiotic.

She was doing great with PT and had moved from the walker to a cane. Now she's back on the walker.

Lance, you'll be lifting that leg pretty quickly. My wife was after the first week. She can't do it now, probably has a bit to do with the big hole in her thigh.

My wife had her right hip replaced on March 6th, also Anterior method. She had the left one done several years ago and it was great. Unfortunately with this one she's had complications with the incision healing. She got fluid build up under the skin layer that would suddenly appear. She was opened back up on March 20th and flushed out and sutured back. The incision continued to drain and she was opened up again on March 31st and had a wound vac installed. We now go seven days a week so she can get antibiotics (two different kinds) and we go to the wound care clinic twice a week to have her wound vac dressing changed. Then antibiotic infusions will continue until May 14th. The wound vac will be in until it heals. Ina week or so she will get an infusion of a third antibiotic.

She was doing great with PT and had moved from the walker to a cane. Now she's back on the walker.

Lance, you'll be lifting that leg pretty quickly. My wife was after the first week. She can't do it now, probably has a bit to do with the big hole in her thigh.

Very very sorry to hear about your wife!
My one and only fear about joint replacement is infection. Terrified of it!
Hope your wife heals quickly.

Dont forget to follow Dr instructions on antibiotics after successful implant surgery ie dental cleaning 5 years later; mine takes antibiotics; anything slightly invasive.

Very very sorry to hear about your wife!
My one and only fear about joint replacement is infection. Terrified of it!
Hope your wife heals quickly.

Thanks, the whole process involved if the joint were infected is not a good one. We are hopeful that is not so and that going through everything now will make sure there is no infection. Any bacteria that gets on the prosthesis itself cannot be gotten rid of by antibiotics, unfortunately.

Dad had one replaced in '97. He was up and without a cane after 7 weeks. Took him a little longer than average to completely recover, as he did some significant damage when he fell and broke his. They had to open him up pretty good to fix his.
Power on and hope you feel like a younger man soon.

First, Lance, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Second, you're 69???!!!! I never would have guessed that.

Thanks for everybody’s appreciated comments. Recovery is good so far. I’ve been off the Percocet (oxycodone) since Thursday night. Yesterday a buddy picked me up, and I got to our EAA monthly pancake breakfast. It’s only been a week but seeing my plane sitting there in the hangar made it seem like forever. I’ve been out to dinner the last couple of nights with Sue. I’m using a cane to get around just as a precaution against falling. Tomorrow morning I have a PT appointment and will see about getting some muscle strength and motion back. I feel pretty well and sleep pretty well also. I hope I can start driving next week. We’ll see.

Thanks for everybody’s appreciated comments. Recovery is good so far. I’ve been off the Percocet (oxycodone) since Thursday night. Yesterday a buddy picked me up, and I got to our EAA monthly pancake breakfast. It’s only been a week but seeing my plane sitting there in the hangar made it seem like forever. I’ve been out to dinner the last couple of nights with Sue. I’m using a cane to get around just as a precaution against falling. Tomorrow morning I have a PT appointment and will see about getting some muscle strength and motion back. I feel pretty well and sleep pretty well also. I hope I can start driving next week. We’ll see.
Best advice I can give as a hip replacement patient: Don't rush it. The quality of recovery is not related to the speed of recovery. The way my doc put it was, I'd rather you walked with a crutch or cane for months than develop a limp because you gave it up too early."(Besides, I discovered obviously temporary crutches were a chick magnet :))

12 weeks was what it took for one of my pals. She was back to work in a limited fashion after 6. Good luck. The enforced time out may suck, but your body will thank you.

Lance, I wish you continued good luck in your recovery! Please keep us posted with your progress!

Day 8 and progress isn’t bad. Been putting in a couple of hours at my office for past few days. That’s been ok. I did my first PT today with an excellent therapist. I’m a little sore but don’t think I overdid it. I’m using a cane a friend loaned me to be in the safe side. I drove solo for first time today. I’ve done a couple of simple things on the 414. I’ve got a long way to go, and I’m taking it day by day without a schedule. Thanks everyone for all the good wishes.

Lance, best wishes for the recovery, but that avatar's gotta go. Surfing and snacking has temporarily lost its appeal. ;-)

Thanks for the write-up, and I hope your recovery continues going as well as it's already been.

My doc says I'm looking at it someday, but I'm not there yet.

And, Randy, I had already heard about the problems your wife ended up having. I really hope that works out, and quickly!

Lance,

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I had my first hip done in 86 after a very bad accident. First (and I hope last) revision was done in 2009, with complications. The femur split and I needed grafts and 'wire ties' down to my knee. I get around everyday, with a bit of a limp, but life is good.

You will be back in the left seat and up to speed in no time!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back